New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case | Page 11 | The Boneyard

New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case

Reaction Score
Think about how ridiculous hundreds of hours of tape is for, facetime, shooting baskets in pants and 3 kids maybe getting an tiny extra benefit for travel and lodging for a handful of days in Atlanta.

Every P5 program in the country has committed worse violations in the last 48 hours.
And we are the only school who was retroactively screwed for APR and only school truly screwed in conference realignment. Just because you don't think it's a big deal doesn't make it so, when it comes to UConn it's always a big deal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And we are the only school who was retroactively screwed for APR and only school truly screwed in conference realignment. Just because you don't think it's a big deal doesn't make it so, when it comes to UConn it's always a big deal.

You can’t follow CBB and claim those are major violations with a straight face.

Also, I’m not cheering on Glenn Miller the rat, so I’m not the one who wants to touch the NCAA stove. Since ol Glenn tried to pin much more serious violations on them that were invented in his wife’s head.

Reaction Score
You can’t follow CBB and claim those are major violations with a straight face.

Also, I’m not cheering on Glenn Miller the rat, so I’m not the one who wants to touch the NCAA stove. Since ol Glenn tried to pin much more serious violations on them that were invented in his wife’s head.
Of course they're not, my point was you can't sit there with a straight face and pretend the NCAA hasn't treated UConn differently than every other major program.

The Atlanta workouts thing isn't all that minor though. You know it isn't that's why in almost every post on this topic you leave that one out and just talk about Ray Allen talking on the phone.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course they're not, my point was you can't sit there with a straight face and pretend the NCAA hasn't treated UConn differently than every other major program.

The Atlanta workouts thing isn't all that minor though. You know it isn't that's why in almost every post on this topic you leave that one out and just talk about Ray Allen talking on the phone.

Lol it’s nothing and it’s in the post you replied to.

Bagmen are going to jail with nothing happening to the coaches or schools - but weekend room and board isn’t minor.

Reaction Score
I am troubled by the statement"He lied about it". At this point these are only allegations. Please stop presenting them as facts.

Reaction Score
You can't possibly believe this. Arizona is dropping bags of cash in hotel rooms.
Of course it should be minor but as we all know if the NCAA cared even a little about all the money flying around they would do something about shoe companies and AAU.

You're trying to assume reason and fairness to the NCAA, the fact is schools get dinged up for stuff like the Atlanta workouts and UConn is the NCAA's whipping boy. I didn't even bring up Ollie lying to the NCAA. Nothing is minor when it comes to UConn, you guys can stop pretending that isn't the case.

Reaction Score
Lol it’s nothing and it’s in the post you replied to.

Bagmen are going to jail with nothing happening to the coaches or schools - but weekend room and board isn’t minor.
That's why I said in almost every post. It's the first time I've even seen you mention it in regards to Ollie's violations.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's why I said in almost every post. It's the first time I've even seen you mention it in regards to Ollie's violations.

It’s not but it’s still nothing.

Ironically they fired him for ‘cheating’ when the huge investigation showed he was running one of the cleanest major programs in the country. A terrible basketball team but remarkably clean.

When trying to parse his motivations maybe consider that.

Reaction Score
It’s not but it’s still nothing.

Ironically they fired him for ‘cheating’ when the huge investigation showed he was running one of the cleanest major programs in the country. A terrible basketball team but remarkably clean.

When trying to parse his motivations maybe consider that.
Know the rules if you're going to sign that contract.

Probably cleaner han most majors but he hired Raphael Chillious.

Reaction Score

A hire as I recall that you praised!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I’ve got no problem with people who want to bag him on the technicality if they are honest about it.

It’s just painful to act like firing him for cause isn’t well outside the norms of major college sports.

Reaction Score
A hire as I recall that you praised!
I'm sure I did, he got big time classes at Washington. He's a horrible coach but has always played the shoe game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sure I did, he got big time classes at Washington. He's a horrible coach but has always played the shoe game.

So you don’t actually care about cheating and you don’t actually think the Atlanta trip is a major violation. Wasn’t that easy.

Reaction Score
Here is a difference between Kevin Ollie and every other coach in any sport that has been fired over the past year. It is difficult to accept, but most eventually do and in so doing accept accountability.
from ESPN:
The finality of the decision hit Martelli hard.
"It's hard not to say with this handling, to not say, 'You know what, I failed,'" Martelli said. "That's been the hardest part for me, to get beyond the fact that I failed." Martelli said he had not made a decision on what he would do next but did say television and the NBA are not as close to his heart as coaching in college.
"I want, and in a way need, to be on a sideline," Martelli said. "Not to justify my career at Saint Joseph's -- to have an impact, on players, on a campus, on a student body."
--------------
Two days later for Martelli after 25 years. One YEAR later following an over-indulgent 6 and Ollie & his sycophants aren't even to the part that he failed, much less being able to get beyond it. It is ONLY about what others did/do and get away with. Somehow this justifies two+ freakin' years of incompetency, lack of effort, errors & omissions that created violations, poor results, transfers, lack of player improvement and a myriad of contract violations and shortcomings.

Reaction Score
So you don’t actually care about cheating and you don’t actually think the Atlanta trip is a major violation. Wasn’t that easy.
I care about us being good. There is nothing worse than absolutely sucking while cheating.

I don't think the Atlanta thing should be a big deal but it's the type of thing programs have gotten dinged up for, it's something UConn could absolutely get dinged up for.

There is a ton of stuff I don't think is a big deal that the NCAA does think is a big deal and a whole bunch of stuff I think is a huge deal and they look the other way.

Reaction Score
Here is a difference between Kevin Ollie and every other coach in any sport that has been fired over the past year. It is difficult to accept, but most eventually do and in so doing accept accountability.
from ESPN:
"It's hard not to say with this handling, to not say, 'You know what, I failed,'" Martelli said. "That's been the hardest part for me, to get beyond the fact that I failed." Martelli said he had not made a decision on what he would do next but did say television and the NBA are not as close to his heart as coaching in college.
"I want, and in a way need, to be on a sideline," Martelli said. "Not to justify my career at Saint Joseph's -- to have an impact, on players, on a campus, on a student body."
--------------
Two days later for Martelli after 25 years. One YEAR later following an over-indulgent 6 and Ollie & his sycophants aren't even to the part that he failed, much less being able to get beyond it. It is ONLY about what others did/do and get away with. Somehow this justifies two+ freakin' years of incompetency, lack of effort, errors & omissions that created violations, poor results, transfers, lack of player improvement and a myriad of contract violations and shortcomings.
So let's look at the real difference...Martelli, fired for performance.....KO.....fired for performance. At lease St Joes has the balls to call it what it was. So he CAN move on.

Reaction Score
So let's look at the real difference...Martelli, fired for performance.....KO.....fired for performance. At lease St Joes has the balls to call it what it was. So he CAN move on.

If Martelli had violated NCAA rules, and had a provision in his contract where he could be fired for cause and not paid if he violated NCAA rules, you bet St. Joe's would pursue that.

All the whining about the "real reason" UConn fired KO is irrelevant. He signed a contract with language that allowed UConn to not have to pay him if he was caught cheating. And, lo, he was caught cheating.

Everything else is PR.

Reaction Score
from ESPN:
--------------

What the ____ are you talking about in this post?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know but I don't think it's that simple. I haven't researched this issue in a long time and I'm not going to now, but my memory is that it depends on the circumstances and whether the process provides the employee with notice and a meaningful opportunity to be heard, which may involve the right to confront witnesses.

Again, I'm not talking about the merits of the argument; simply responding to your query about Constitutional rights for a government employee with a "just cause" provision in his or her contract. I *think* that's what he's referring to.
Agree it is somewhat case specific, but in this case where "just cause" is defined (IIRC) as a determination of a violation of NCAA or university rules by the NCAA or the university, one wonders what interviewing Akinjo's relatives has to do with that. In this specific case, one would think that once that finding is established (and clearly it has been) then the issue becomes very fact specific i.e., was notice timely given in an appropriate manner. It appears to have been.

So naming a bunch of high profile witnesses who have nothing to add to those issues sure seems like bad faith, or at best obfuscation, and a public statement about how it merely KO's pursuit of his "Constitutional right to defend himself" seems disingenuous.

Good discussion. Any insight on the extent of pre-arbitration discovery? Is it purely agreement driven? If KO's representation really wanted broad discovery, they should have filed suit.

Reaction Score
What the ____ are you talking about in this post?
Ollie cannot admit he was fired because he failed. The stupid lawsuit is a byproduct of DENIAL of responsibility. Blame UConn for firing him. Blame UConn for firing him for the wrong reason. Blame UConn for him not paying him the future salary when he didn't even earn the past/paid salary when he was inadequately coaching.

The defenders spin all this to say UConn fired him for the losing record as if that's the root cause and as if the losing had nothing to do with Ollie's poor performance & failure to perform to his contract. I say the failure to do his job at every level, bad recruiting, recruiting, violations, coaching violations, poor coaching, lazy coaching, poor player development, transfer etc.. all had a causal relationship resulting in losing his job and losing basketball games.

Reaction Score
'performance' = failure to live up to the terms of the contract. Losing isn't performance it is a byproduct of the failure to satisfy even the minimal standards of the contract and job description for the head basketball coach.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah I’m not sure how 90% of the people here don’t get they can’t claim ‘for cause’ and offer a settlement that undermines that position.
Settlement offers aren't admissible as evidence at trial, but other than that, spot on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom