New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case | Page 13 | The Boneyard

New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure it's their prerogative to enforce specific contract language against an African American coach when they chose to not enforce the same language against a Caucasian coach.

I'm not defending the job Ollie did because there is no defense for it. He deserved to be fired because, like other coaches who get canned, he didn't win enough. I'm saying that the law dictates you must treat him the same as you treat any other coaches who have the same language in their contracts.

The longer this goes, IMO, the uglier it likely gets for UConn
The race card argument can be scuttled by 1) Pointing out that Calhoun's punishment, or lack thereof, was overseen by an entirely different administration. and 2) Discussing the negative impact that Calhoun's NCAA violations had on the program and the university, thus illustrating why the current university brass would want to take a hard line approach and mitigate the potential damage caused by Ollie's transgressions.

I don't blame Ollie for trying to throw whatever he can at the wall to see if anything sticks. He's a desperate and broken man. But in the end, this is all his fault. Maybe one day he can become mature enough to accept responsibility for his own actions.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Young rich famous divorced guy enjoyed the local nightlife and female companionship.

Do people really need that spelled out?

He wasn’t running a dog fighting ring or a meth lab.
But if he used uconn resources, such as state /school issued phone, to pay for female companionship, sort of a Robert Kraft, we may get some things straightened out...

Reaction Score
The race card argument can be scuttled by 1) Pointing out that Calhoun's punishment, or lack thereof, was overseen by an entirely different administration. and 2) Discussing the negative impact that Calhoun's NCAA violations had on the program and the university, thus illustrating why the current university brass would want to take a hard line approach and mitigate the potential damage caused by Ollie's transgressions.

I don't blame Ollie for trying to throw whatever he can at the wall to see if anything sticks. He's a desperate and broken man. But in the end, this is all his fault. Maybe one day he can become mature enough to accept responsibility for his own actions.
Well that and the fact that Calhoun was in the Hall of Fame, won multiple championships, was a major supporter of the university and health center and had been coaching at UConn for over 20 years. But, yeah, other than that, they were exactly the same. So, clearly, race was a factor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
whelp that eliminates CL82 from understanding it then.

Carry on.
lol... says the guy who doesn't know what word "tenuous" means. It's better to just limit your vocabulary than to use you don't know.

Reaction Score

Sorry, as soon as you say "the race card"....you lose any real credibility on that issue. There is no such thing as a race card. That is a phrase invented by white men feeling persecuted by those trying to undo hundreds of years of injustice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What UConn accused him of requires a show clause.
Interesting choice of words. Maybe a better choice is "what the NCAA determined that Ollie did requires a show cause." Or even more simply "What Ollie did requires a show cause."

None of these people would lay down. They'd fight with whatever means they had.

It's not so much the fight but the tactics that seem questionable. They should have FOIA'd the basis for the claims against Ollie and especially shouldn't have notified the press of the request. It was incredibly predictable that the press would file an identical request. By law UConn had to release to press as well as Ollie's attorneys.

Ollie's attorneys seem to like frequent press releases in what appears to be a strategy to create sufficient public opinion to influence the school. The net result is KO's NCAA rules violations are brought back into the public consciousness repeatedly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting choice of words. Maybe a better choice is "what the NCAA determined that Ollie did requires a show cause." Or even more simply "What Ollie did requires a show cause."
This seems to be a very forgotten thing. The NCAA has independently accused Ollie of multiple violations, including ones that would lead to a show cause penalty.

Reaction Score
Can you honestly say that if KO had been winning they would have fired him for these allegations? That's BS and you know it. He was fired for losing - the allegations wouldn't have seen the light of day if he was still winning after the NC and if they did UConn would have slapped him on the wrist and let him continue coaching like they did with Calhoun after his 'issues' with compliance.
KO did need to move on because he was an ineffective coach but don't pull the high and mighty stance that his violations were why he was fired. You and most everyone else on the BY would have looked the other way if he was giving you what you wanted on the court and in the win column.
So go ahead pile on - KO apologist, KO's mom whatever - just look in the mirror and admit you would tolerate violations if he was winning.
I keep hearing this “argument,” and it’s completely irrelevant from a legal perspective.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing this “argument,” and it’s completely irrelevant from a legal perspective.
I know it is irrelevant 'legally' unless you could prove that you were treated differently for your violations because you weren't successful as opposed to another coach who committed violations but because he was successful was not fired for cause.
My point is many on here wanted him fired before allegations came to light so now they think they can claim the high road and say he was fired for cause. My guess is the cause would not have gotten him fired if he was winning and many on here would have upset if he was winning and got fired anyway. Many here would have tolerated violations in that case.

Reaction Score
I know it is irrelevant 'legally' unless you could prove that you were treated differently for your violations because you weren't successful as opposed to another coach who committed violations but because he was successful was not fired for cause.
My point is many on here wanted him fired before allegations came to light so now they think they can claim the high road and say he was fired for cause. My guess is the cause would not have gotten him fired if he was winning and many on here would have upset if he was winning and got fired anyway. Many here would have tolerated violations in that case.
They fired him for performance and, at the time, probably knew they had a good legal argument to fire him for cause.

Should they have just given him $10 million to be nice?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I’ve been told here a thousand times it’s an open and shut case and that Ollie gets nothing legally.

Why would broke arse UConn offer 2.5 million if that were true?
I’ve been told the FOIA docs would be worse for Ollie. Why fight the release then?

It happens every day. Our civil justice system is designed to settle cases before they make it inside a courtroom. The vast majority of civil conflicts are settled out of court. Parties who think they have all the law on their side will sometimes settle for the nusiance value of the case. If UConn offered a settlement of 2.5 million, it's not because they think they'll lose at arbitration or trial. It's because they figured the approximate cost of litigation and wanted to avoid the PR effects of a protracted dispute. If UConn thought they would pay 2.5 million in attorney's fees anyway, you just offer that amount to the other side. If they accept, you're not out much of anything you wouldn't have been anyway. Nobody admits any wrongdoing in the settlement.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They fired him for performance and, at the time, probably knew they had a good legal argument to fire him for cause.

Is there anybody who doesn't think he was let go because of poor performance? Technically, or on a technicality, it's 'for cause', but he's obviously not coaching here because he wasn't getting it done.

Reaction Score

Wrong they fired him officially for cause so they wouldn't have to pay him.

Reaction Score
Lol, you say that as it were a bad thing.
Could be depending on how they obtained the info and what they did with it. In my view he deserves something, maybe not the full 10 but in my view at least 5

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I really don't get the moral indignation over Ollie not getting his full 10.7 million buyout. I also notice that some of his biggest detractors before the firing now seem to be arguing he should be paid. It's a long ride on the crazy train.

There's no moral, ethical or legal reason to pay him anything, but I'd have no problem with paying him some lesser amount just to end the PR nightmare, so maybe we can move on and rebuild the program.

C

Chief00

I know everyone thinks Ollie will lose the lawsuit because there are so many legal experts on this board. Maybe UConn wins, maybe UConn loses. The part of this debate that is idiotic is that 90% of the posters in this thread think Ollie should just walk away from both $10 million and from ever coaching again because he lost too many games and that made UConn fans angry.
Likely he wouldn’t be walking away from $10M, because that language implies it’s due him under the contract and it’s not as @UConnNick says because of zero tolerance.

Reaction Score
Wrong they fired him officially for cause so they wouldn't have to pay him.
That was exactly my point.

Your Ollie apologist schtick is played out at this point.

Reaction Score
Rethink this one. Book Richardson just copped a plea. I hope you didn't register just to post that.
I was being facetious. I know you are a firm believer in the rampant cheating in college basketball.

Reaction Score
That was exactly my point.

Your Ollie apologist schtick is played out at this point.
Call me what you want, in my opinion KO was treated unfairly by many here on the BY and by the university. The hate spewed toward him is unrelenting. He was a great player for us, represented us well in the NBA, and won us a National Championship. To listen to some of you, you would think he was Jack the Ripper.
The way his personal life has been put under the microscope with innuendo and gossip - how many of you could pass that test.
Interesting how so few talked well.of Enochand Durhsm but now they would have saved the program if they stayed. The recruits you all loved like Akinjo and now glad we don't have him.
At least I have been consistent- do call me an apologist, call me KO's mom whatever you want. If you don't like what I post - don't read it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom