New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case | Page 14 | The Boneyard

New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case

Reaction Score
So some of you think there is nothing to lose by going scorched Earth. How about this. What if UConn countersued for wrongly being accused of racism. Imagine KO ending up with -1M.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're absolutely right I would tolerate violations if he were winning, and so would UConn. That doesn't matter. It is entirely UConn's prerogative whether to invoke "for cause" termination because of the violations.

KO signed a contract that gave UConn wide discretion on this. If he were merely a losing coach who didn't cheat, he'd get fired, but would be paid. If he were a winning coach who committed violations, he'd still be employed. His problem is he was a losing coach who also cheated, and gave UConn ability to invoke "for cause". UConn has done nothing that their contract didn't allow.
KO allegedly cheated. We must remember these allegations are one sided by allegedly a disgruntled fired employee. The NCAA has not had any final ruling. We are all jumping the gun here. UConn had to fire Ollie because he wasn’t winning. Their savior was headed to Pitt. They had to make a hasty, risky move and push allegations because they couldn’t afford to pay 2 coaches. I’m no Ollie apologist but we know he had 4 pretty good players transfer at once and an all American decommit. He never had a healthy Gilbert and other horrific injuries. Ollie was forced to put together a roster overnight. The deck was stacked against him. He held his head high and didn’t make excuses. We on this board act as if we own Ollie and forget that he is a man. The way we turn our back on one of our own is disheartening. I was as uncomfortable as anyone to see Ray Allen have his jersey retired as he himself is in the middle of this show. This is how we do our own family to keep from paying Ollie. We have to compete against other universities for recruits, universities that are willing to do a lot more than take a couple of shots with a recruit to sign them. This is embarrassing and most on this board prefer to waddle in their own mud than to take a stand and have respect for one of our own!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Wrong they fired him officially for cause so they wouldn't have to pay him.

Nor should they pay him 10 million unless you want to foot the bill with the other Ollie apologist

Reaction Score
Call me what you want, in my opinion KO was treated unfairly by many here on the BY and by the university. The hate spewed toward him is unrelenting. He was a great player for us, represented us well in the NBA, and won us a National Championship. To listen to some of you, you would think he was Jack the Ripper.
The way his personal life has been put under the microscope with innuendo and gossip - how many of you could pass that test.
Interesting how so few talked well.of Enochand Durhsm but now they would have saved the program if they stayed. The recruits you all loved like Akinjo and now glad we don't have him.
At least I have been consistent- do call me an apologist, call me KO's mom whatever you want. If you don't like what I post - don't read it.
The only hate I spewed toward Ollie had to do with his lack of player development and his incompetence as an in-game coach. I never touched the off-court stuff.

As I’ve said many times, I think UConn deserves plenty of criticism for letting this situation get this far, but I also never understood the mindset that they should’ve just paid Ollie all the money when they knew they had a strong legal case. But it’s a two-way street, and there’s plenty of blame both ways for them not having settled.

Where it really turned for me is when Ollie decided to claim race had anything to do with his firing. Obviously it was his lawyers pushing for this approach, but he could’ve put a stop to it at any point.

Reaction Score
The only hate I spewed toward Ollie had to do with his lack of player development and his incompetence as an in-game coach. I never touched the off-court stuff.

As I’ve said many times, I think UConn deserves plenty of criticism for letting this situation get this far, but I also never understood the mindset that they should’ve just paid Ollie all the money when they knew they had a strong legal case. But it’s a two-way street, and there’s plenty of blame both ways for them not having settled.

Where it really turned for me is when Ollie decided to claim race had anything to do with his firing. Obviously it was his lawyers pushing for this approach, but he could’ve put a stop to it at any point.

Because you have many here saying how could he claim racism as it is a different administration-Oh, well it is the same university. 2 coaches with similar (or even lesser for Ollie) violations. One suspended by NCAA and REHIRED by the same organization-one fired. One black, one white each treated differently. I don't know...lets see where this could end up.
And he has never said race has anything to do with his firing-he said he was treated differently than other coaches who were white.
Those are 2 distinctly different things.

Reaction Score
So some of you think there is nothing to lose by going scorched Earth. How about this. What if UConn countersued for wrongly being accused of racism. Imagine KO ending up with -1M.
What he alleged is he was treated differently for the same (or in his case lesser)violations. Good luck with your "countersuit"...laughable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Could be depending on how they obtained the info and what they did with it. In my view he deserves something, maybe not the full 10 but in my view at least 5
What do you base that on Kathy? Serious question.

Under the contract once there is a finding by the NCAA or UConn that he violated NCAA or UConn rules his contract terminates. All he is owed is what he would have gotten paid during a notice period. Something like 400K-600k.

CL82

Reaction Score
What he alleged is he was treated differently for the same (or in his case lesser)violations. Good luck with your "countersuit"...laughable.
How do you figure KO's violations are lesser? I don't so I'm curious as to why you do.

Reaction Score
He alleged the reason was race. That is a serious accusation if he follows through on it. I would laugh if KO ends up with a negative settlement when he could have had 2.5M.

Reaction Score
How do you figure KO's violations are lesser? I don't so I'm curious as to why you do.
Because first off, he has ONLY been accused...still open. 2nd They were all considered level 2 except the false or misleading information. At any rate he has been fired for allegations? Really?

Reaction Score
He alleged the reason was race. That is a serious accusation if he follows through on it. I would laugh if KO ends up with a negative settlement when he could have had 2.5M.
And that is why your handle is Engineer90 and not Lawyer90.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That would be the single worst move in the history of coach firings.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Because first off, he has ONLY been accused...still open. 2nd They were all considered level 2 except the false or misleading information. At any rate he has been fired for allegations? Really?

I was of the understanding that it is further along than that. The NCAA alleged. UCONN copped, fired Ollie, and self imposed sanctions. Now it's up to the NCAA to decide final penalties for UCONN and Ollie. Only thing left is the sentencing, no?

Reaction Score
Because you have many here saying how could he claim racism as it is a different administration-Oh, well it is the same university. 2 coaches with similar (or even lesser for Ollie) violations. One suspended by NCAA and REHIRED by the same organization-one fired. One black, one white each treated differently. I don't know...lets see where this could end up.
And he has never said race has anything to do with his firing-he said he was treated differently than other coaches who were white.
Those are 2 distinctly different things.
You can't just brush off the fact that every single one of the actors were different. Because President Hogan and AD Hathaway acted one way 7 years prior, current President Herbst and AD Benedict are somehow obligated to follow suit despite a completely different landscape? Utterly absurd. Ollie's meager appeal to race is as pathetic as his coaching.

CL82

Reaction Score
You don't think paying for travel, meals and a hotel for 3 players to attend illegal training session is problematic. Check out the contract. If UConn determines their is a violation of rules the contract terminates. KO is about to get a show cause order from the NCAA. Did Calhoun ever get one?

Reaction Score
Nor should they pay him 10 million unless you want to foot the bill with the other Ollie apologist
JC had a final report and was given a slap on the wrist. KO has open accusations and was fired without due process. Does that make it rasism, no. It became rasism the day KO was born black. That simple. If there is a minory involved and there is injustice or a claim of unequal treatment then we have to look at racism. Not saying that this equals racism but it definitely doesn’t exclude it. As a white man myself, I had to look in the mirror and ask myself am I a racist based on the privileged life I grew up in in CT and can I relate to someone from Compton that had to fight for everything his whole life and worked his ass off. I will say I’m not a rasist but I have to ask myself to see things from the other side. That’s all we can do as Americans and especially as Huskies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Didn’t we just land AG around that time, who lived in Atlanta, hard to imagine he wasn’t involved as well?

He was injured at the time

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
JC had a final report and was given a slap on the wrist. KO has open accusations and was fired without due process. Does that make it rasism, no. It became rasism the day KO was born black. That simple. If there is a minory involved and there is injustice or a claim of unequal treatment then we have to look at racism. Not saying that this equals racism but it definitely doesn’t exclude it. As a white man myself, I had to look in the mirror and ask myself am I a racist based on the privileged life I grew up in in CT and can I relate to someone from Compton that had to fight for everything his whole life and worked his ass off. I will say I’m not a rasist but I have to ask myself to see things from the other side. That’s all we can do as Americans and especially as Huskies.

As a black man put your white knight away.

Reaction Score
The best part of the BY is the juxtaposition between people obsessed with saving $80 on their cable bill and people talking about how they would walk away from $10 million dollars.

. That’s what I’ve been thinking for months. Great post. Lol.

pj

Reaction Score
I’m no Ollie apologist but we know he had 4 pretty good players transfer at once and an all American decommit.

Part of the job of a coach is to keep players. The way to keep players is by proving you can coach them up and help them achieve their career goals. KO failed at that. We saw that failure in the won-loss record, in the eye test of quality of play, in the lack of player development, and in the transfers.

Look, Ollie was fired for two reasons -- poor performance and NCAA violations. The NCAA violations gave UConn the right ("cause") to stop paying him 6 months after he stopped working. There's nothing unfair about that. Ollie should either show he didn't commit NCAA violations, or go home.

Reaction Score
As a black man put your white knight away.
Except he asks the question many are dodging. Ollie never claimed he was fired due his race. He alleges he was not treated the same as his white counter parts/predecessors. Those are 2 distinctly different things.

Reaction Score
I’m no Ollie apologist but we know he had 4 pretty good players transfer at once and an all American decommit. He never had a healthy Gilbert and other horrific injuries. Ollie was forced to put together a roster overnight. The deck was stacked against him. He held his head high and didn’t make excuses. We on this board act as if we own Ollie and forget that he is a man. The way we turn our back on one of our own is disheartening. I was as uncomfortable as anyone to see Ray Allen have his jersey retired as he himself is in the middle of this # 2 show. This is how we do our own family to keep from paying Ollie. We have to compete against other universities for recruits, universities that are willing to do a lot more than take a couple of shots with a recruit to sign them. This is embarrassing and most on this board prefer to waddle in their own mud than to take a stand and have respect for one of our own!

Talking about 4 players transferring and another de-committing as if these are things that just happened to KO, as if he didn't have direct responsibility for those outcomes, is pretty much the textbook definition of "apologizing" for him.

He's not a great coach who fell on hard times. He was a bad coach who stopped putting in the effort, and likely committed NCAA violations along the way. His demeanor on the sidelines over the last 3-4 years I would hardly describe as "holding his head high".

If he were really interested in being an upstanding representative of the university, worthy of our respect, maybe he should have tried harder.

Reaction Score
Except he asks the question many are dodging. Ollie never claimed he was fired due his race. He alleges he was not treated the same as his white counter parts/predecessors. Those are 2 distinctly different things.
No, they aren't. Once he brought race into it, he was insinuating racism. Being treated differently because of race is the actual definition of racism. If he wanted to just point out that UConn was inconsistent, he could have said that without pointing out the races of those involved.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom