New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case | Page 16 | The Boneyard

New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case

Reaction Score
And in their efforts proved that Ollie was running a really clean program in relation to other power conference programs.

The comparative to other programs is meaningless and has zero relevance to the contract and KO’s situation.

If you sign the deal and you choose to not abide by all the terms you need to understand and be prepared to handle the conesquence of your actions, regardless of if you and others perceive the actions as technicalities.

Its really pretty simple
Call me what you want, in my opinion KO was treated unfairly by many here on the BY and by the university. The hate spewed toward him is unrelenting. He was a great player for us, represented us well in the NBA, and won us a National Championship. To listen to some of you, you would think he was Jack the Ripper.
The way his personal life has been put under the microscope with innuendo and gossip - how many of you could pass that test.
Interesting how so few talked well.of Enochand Durhsm but now they would have saved the program if they stayed. The recruits you all loved like Akinjo and now glad we don't have him.
At least I have been consistent- do call me an apologist, call me KO's mom whatever you want. If you don't like what I post - don't read it.

Here's the difference on personal lives - I'm betting most here don't have a high profile public profession. The off-court/field conduct is a part of the equation for any university whether you think it should be or not. I'm not saying that had any implication in this case, but if it did it's not unexpected.

Also the idea that because you were a contributor to any team or hell even a company at one level and that should insulate you from critique or condemnation when you have a different role in that organization is flawed. Nobody is dismissing KO's past contributions, but at some point the his most recent current performance and his behavior will outweigh that in his legacy - tough, but true.

You become a CEO because you were a great CFO, but you can't do the CEO gig, you're getting kicked out and that's the memory of employees and shareholders - your legacy isn't:

Gary sure knew how to balance the books and was a picasso with spreadsheets*

*Gary almost drove the company into financial ruin and the stock price tanked when he was CEO

It's the other way around.

I've been consistent as well - he was a piss poor hire who should never have gotten the job to begin with because being a head coach at a mainstay top 20 basketball program is about WAY more than X's and O's - I said it when the rumors were out there and I said it after he was hired and I maintain that to be true today and I'm happy he's gone.

I don't wish ruination on the man and his family and I certainly hope he gets a gig that works for him.

Reaction Score
His resume made him unqualified . UCONN, despite sanctions, was a top tier program. It deserved a nation-wide coaching search. And preferably a coach that had some D1 HC, tournament, NCAA experience.

They gave the keys to a rolls royce , one that was in the shop no less, to someone who'd never had a licence before.

And not for nothing, but the program still had studs in the pipeline, unless you don't consider guys like Bazz, Boat and crew studs.

Ollie rewarded that choice by outperforming at the start. We all know what happened after that.
You make valid points, and manage to do so with saying " you idiot". So I partially agree. Why didn't the job go to Miller? Fair question? The team had some players for sure as nearly all are playing for a living somewhere.
The position as an assistant was his grooming. It is fair to say his rise was expedited and obviously JC put him on the fast track. Maybe success came to fast and along with that, he was hit with massive injuries. The rest is history.
Having said all that. The AD(who is an outsider)clearly could have and more importantly SHOULD have worked this out, taking into consideration KO's history with the program. That did not happen. And that is the saddest part of this mess.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
KO has open accusations and was fired without due process.
What makes you believe that KO's discharge for just cause somehow violated his due process rights. Serious question.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You make valid points, and manage to do so with saying " you idiot". So I partially agree. Why didn't the job go to Miller? Fair question? The team had some players for sure as nearly all are playing for a living somewhere.
The position as an assistant was his grooming. It is fair to say his rise was expedited and obviously JC put him on the fast track. Maybe success came to fast and along with that, he was hit with massive injuries. The rest is history.
Having said all that. The AD(who is an outsider)clearly could have and more importantly SHOULD have worked this out, taking into consideration KO's history with the program. That did not happen. And that is the saddest part of this mess.

Miller wasn't qualified either. The team deserved an experienced, successful head coach. Calhoun thought that Ollie had what it took, and timed his retirement in a way that left the University with no real options but to go with his choice. He got a probationary hire, and did well enough to earn a longer deal, and had initial success then with a 2014 NC we all remember. We all agree he did a good job at first. But whether that success got to him, or whether he simply didn't know how to sustain what had been largely handed to him (in terms of roster construction primarily), I don't know. The energy he displayed in 2013-15 was utterly gone by 2016-18.

As for the AD, they did offer a settlement to Ollie, who turned it down and reportedly insisted upon getting all the money. Whether that was driven by Ollie or the lawyers he should have fired long ago, I don't know. But it has been ruinous for him, his reputation and coaching prospects. He could probably have pocketed $3 and landed a job as an NBA assistant. Instead he's slinging mud at the University that gave him his opportunity, both as a player and coach. And we have this unpleasant thread.

Reaction Score
1st, I do NOT know he was "utterly unqualified"..many make that stupid comment. Calhoun turned over a program in shambles. academically disqualified, reduced scholarships, etc, etc. Glad you can predict a jusy outcome, yet we on this board cannot agree.
Furthermore Andre Drummond and Jeremy Lamb went to the NBA. That depleted team won in the Big East and thrived academically. KO was given an interim tag and it took in large part, a stamp from Tom Izzo after he was admittedly out coached by KO.

CL82

Reaction Score
The treatment is unfair because there wasn’t due process.
You keep saying this. How so?

CL82

Reaction Score
The AD(who is an outsider)clearly could have and more importantly SHOULD have worked this out, taking into consideration KO's history with the program.
How so?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You make valid points, and manage to do so with saying " you idiot". So I partially agree. Why didn't the job go to Miller? Fair question?

Fair question, but the answer is no. Given his previous middling success as a head coach. There was no reason they had to go 'in the family'.

UCONN was still riding high. They could have gotten a guy on an even higher level than someone even like a Dan Hurley. And Hurley had a ton of experience when hired.

I'd say this one went well above the AD. This was President/Board of Trustee sanctioned. You don't mess around with $10m (nor with the inevitable PR problems) at a school with budgetary issues, by keeping it solely in the Athletic Department's purview.

Should it have been handle it differently? Sure, ideally. As fans, we would have preferred that.

But the real question is, could it have been handled differently? Outside of rumor, nobody knows whether this was possible. Did UCONN offer? If so, was it reasonable? Did KO draw a line at 'all or nothing'? I've no idea.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As for the AD, they did offer a settlement to Ollie, who turned it down and reportedly insisted upon getting all the money. Whether that was driven by Ollie or the lawyers he should have fired long ago, I don't know. But it has been ruinous for him, his reputation and coaching prospects. He could probably have pocketed $3 and landed a job as an NBA assistant. Instead he's slinging mud at the University that gave him his opportunity, both as a player and coach. And we have this unpleasant thread.

Has this actually been reported? Honest question. I've never seen it myself, but certainly could have missed it. If so, what was the dollar figure?

CL82

Reaction Score
Because it does not appear there was ever any real effort to settle this.
Settlement offers are usually kept confidential. There's really no way to tell, without insider info, what happened in settlement talks.

Reaction Score
Settlement offers are usually kept confidential. There's really no way to tell, without insider info, what happened in settlement talks.
Today on ESPN-Vanderbilt.
Drew on Friday had his first sit-down meeting with new athletic director Malcolm Turner, sources told ESPN. In what would be an unusual move, Turner is looking to reassign Drew to another position in the school to avoid paying his buyout, according to sources.

Reaction Score
Drew on Friday had his first sit-down meeting with new athletic director Malcolm Turner, sources told ESPN. In what would be an unusual move, Turner is looking to reassign Drew to another position in the school to avoid paying his buyout, according to sources.
Interesting play, I wonder if he'll bite.

Reaction Score
Exhibit A what happens when you are fired for your team's record vs being fired for violations of UConn & NCAA policies, breach of contract, failure to adequately perform contractual duties, lying, etc...

Reaction Score
Exhibit A what happens when you are fired for your team's record vs being fired for violations of UConn & NCAA policies, breach of contract, failure to adequately perform contractual duties, lying, etc...
Except that you are conveniently picking and choosing exhibits that support your argument while dismissing our exhibits of treating someone differently based on race as irrelevant.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, he inherited a program deemed ineligible for the post season, caused by his predecessor.
Don't answer any of my questions ever, just keep pivoting and hammering at the totally incomparable allegation that Calhoun was treated differently.
However, I will point out that Calhoun, VOLUNTARILY stepped down with the pending probation and that ultimately created a better transition and exit circumstance for UConn & Calhoun - with heavy qualifier that the better circumstance became worse when Ollie stopped doing his job. Everyone thinks UConn admin put some pressure on Calhoun to step away, if that's ok for a coach that built the program up from a Dom Perno disaster that almost makes Kevin Ollie look competent (see Kelley, Earl) than certainly getting rid of a coach that did far less and became far worse is more than justifiable.
To wit. none of the Ollie sycophants think he should have remained as a head coach. IF OLLIE DID ENOUGH TO WARRANT HIS REMOVAL AS HEAD COACH (THE SYCOPHANTS AGREE), HE SHOULDN'T BE PAID FOR BEING THE HEAD COACH. Or am I being too obtuse ;)

Reaction Score
Don't answer any of my questions ever, just keep pivoting and hammering at the totally incomparable allegation that Calhoun was treated differently.
However, I will point out that Calhoun, VOLUNTARILY stepped down with the pending probation and that ultimately created a better transition and exit circumstance for UConn & Calhoun - with heavy qualifier that the better circumstance became worse when Ollie stopped doing his job. Everyone thinks UConn admin put some pressure on Calhoun to step away, if that's ok for a coach that built the program up from a Dom Perno disaster that almost makes Kevin Ollie look competent (see Kelley, Earl) than certainly getting rid of a coach that did far less and became far worse is more than justifiable.
To wit. none of the Ollie sycophants think he should have remained as a head coach. IF OLLIE DID ENOUGH TO WARRANT HIS REMOVAL AS HEAD COACH (THE SYCOPHANTS AGREE), HE SHOULDN'T BE PAID FOR BEING THE HEAD COACH. Or am I being too obtuse ;)
Yes you are.

pj

Reaction Score
All Ollie has to prove is that UConn went looking for a technical violation to void his contract because he wasn't winning enough, and he is probably going to win the legal fight.

Nonsense. Just because UConn had a second reason, poor performance, to fire him doesn't mean their first reason, his NCAA violations, is invalidated.

Are you really going to argue that Duke would have a better argument to void Coach K's contract than UConn has to void Kevin Ollie's, because Coach K is a successful coach and KO was not? Assuming both committed equivalent NCAA violations.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yeah I’m sure it would be tough to come up with violations as severe as Ollie’s if they let a rat loose and did a couple hundred hours of interviews.

Maybe have an assistant claim his wife heard something suspicious from a player’s mother.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah I’m sure it would be tough to come up with violations as severe as Ollie’s if they let a rat loose and did a couple hundred hours of interviews.

Maybe have an assistant claim his wife heard something suspicious from a player’s mother.

If this occurred, gotta think Glen got something under the table for it. And no, not an assistant's gig at St Joe's.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If this occurred, gotta think Glen got something under the table for it. And no, not an assistant's gig at St Joe's.

If Miller claimed his wife said that Napier’s mother said she got paid?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If Miller claimed his wife said that Napier’s mother said she got paid?

No, I mean UCONN unleashing a 'rat'. Why torch your career on askance for no payoff?

The above claim was just bitter Miller being bitter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom