NBA Post-Season Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

NBA Post-Season Thread

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
That said, as champs last paragraph alludes to, someone else has to have a chance. That's not the case right now in the NBA. It's all but guaranteed. The gap is too great. No suspense at all until the finals.
Meh, I'm not bothered by that, I guess, because the regular season was so good and because there are so many 25-and-under stars who will be entering their prime over the next couple of seasons. Keeps the expectations high.

Plus it's not like the Dubs & Cavs are just a couple of pretty good teams. These are two legendary sides that we'll be talking about for decades, and there's enjoyment in watching them try to reach new heights.

Of course, I watch a lot of La Liga so I'm used to this kind of thing.

Reaction Score
I don't mind a top heavy league. It's good in any sport. It made titles like the 2007 Giants (big f#@kin boo!) and the 2001 Dbacks (Yay!) so special. You need the juggernaut out there to potentially knock off.

That said, as champs last paragraph alludes to, someone else has to have a chance. That's not the case right now in the NBA. It's all but guaranteed. The gap is too great. No suspense at all until the finals.
I'll watch the finals and it should be great but this playoffs has been a disaster. The NBA has a problem on it's hands, nobody wants to watch all blowouts leading up to the finals. The super team era has now brought us a regular season which doesn't matter where more players are taking games off for rest and more teams are tanking to try and somehow compete with the super teams in the future.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Meh, I'm not bothered by that, I guess, because the regular season was so good and because there are so many 25-and-under stars who will be entering their prime over the next couple of seasons. Keeps the expectations high.

Of course, I watch a lot of La Liga so I'm used to this kind of thing.

And that probably shows the difference between our opinions. I'm more of a Premier League guy.

For me, the NBA regular season is irrelevant right now. It doesn't matter who finishes where because the Finals will be what they will be. The Cavs could finish 8th and still sweep every series.

Oddly, you are probably the opposite in MCBB. The analogy would be the ACC vs the Old BE. Two super teams vs a bunch of really strong players with traditional powers usually at or near the top. I'm an OBE guy, as is everyone else on this forum.

Reaction Score
I think the Love-Wiggins trade was very good for the Cavs in hindsight. Wiggins is a soft player, doesn't rebound, doesn't defend, etc.. He's a 33% career 3 shooter.

It sounds crazy to say because he's high volume and he's averaged 20+, but he's a borderline bust. Not a winning player.

Tons of better players from that draft, Parker, Embiid (when they play), Randle, Saric, Gary Harris, Jokic, Nurkic, etc.

Lebron was very, very good when he came into the league. VVG morphed into great, but the Lebron that has emerged in this year's play-offs is deal with the devil great.
Then you mix in Kyrie's maturation and the fact that everyone who said that K Love would never mesh with this team than bringing him in was a mistake being made to look like fools, and you've got a serious steam roller.

Reaction Score
EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc are total jokes.

They are the equivalent of having the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs in a league with the Rays, Brewers, Padres, Hartford Yard Goats, New Britain Bees, Cape Cod league teams and maybe a Triple A one.

Leicester winning last year was remarkable.

And that probably shows the difference between our opinions. I'm more of a Premier League guy.

For me, the NBA regular season is irrelevant right now. It doesn't matter who finishes where because the Finals will be what they will be. The Cavs could finish 8th and still sweep every series.

Oddly, you are probably the opposite in MCBB. The analogy would be the ACC vs the Old BE. Two super teams vs a bunch of really strong players with traditional powers usually at or near the top. I'm an OBE guy, as is everyone else on this forum.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
What are the two series with potential intrigue that were ruined by injuries?

These two ... Not saying the results would change, but definitely IT, Tyler Phommachanh and Kawhi all being hurt has prohibited them from even being competitive, thus far anyway.

The Spurs were up 25 or whatever before their do-everything, top 5 player went down.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
To be clear: I'm an MLS guy first and foremost. Support your local!
I watch more La Liga than EPL because there are two all-time, generational talents leading what have clearly been the two best teams in the world over the past nine years. Star power multiplied by leagues-beyond-the-rest talent isn't really applicable on a regular basis in college basketball, so the analogy kind of breaks down.

Reaction Score
The Metallica concert at Gillete last night was on the right night, in the parking lot prior to the concert, I could already hear Celitcs fans talking about the game being over by the 2nd quarter. Lebron is just so focused on ending this series asap because he knows the SA-GS series will be over in 4, 5 games at the very least.

Reaction Score
The MLS is a brutally bad product.

To be clear: I'm an MLS guy first and foremost. Support your local!

I watch more La Liga than EPL because there are two all-time, generational talents leading what have clearly been the two best teams in the world over the past nine years. Star power multiplied by leagues-beyond-the-rest talent isn't really applicable on a regular basis in college basketball, so the analogy kind of breaks down.

Reaction Score
I still don't see how they beat Golden State. No way should that team ever lose a series. LeBron may need to find another level, Kyrie will need to be the guy he was in games 5 and 6 last year, and Love has to maintain this current level.

If LeBron pulls this off there can be no doubt of where he ranks.

Reaction Score
I dont think he's nearly as athletic as 3-4 years ago
ahahahah. Dude, how much do you hate the guy?

I mean, if you had gone for, "he's not quite as," or maybe, "there's been a small dropoff," but, "not nearly as athletic" is tremendous!

Reaction Score
He just so much bigger but I wouldn't say he's more athletic
This is a tough one. I think Jordan had the perfect body for basketball. At least for a shooting guard. So I think he's "more athletic" than the King in the sense that his body is more athletic playing basketball. But if I had to put money down on who would be a better golfer, baseball player, football player, and the like, I'd have to go with LBJ. The guy's hand eye coordination is tremendous, he's quick, aware, super strong, accurate passer. You could picture James being an NFL quarterback or a great serve and volley tennis player.

Reaction Score
If LeBron pulls this off there can be no doubt of where he ranks.
I disagree. I think the Cavs are better this year than they were last year, and I think the Warriors are weaker. I know they added Durant, but only one guy can touch the ball at a time, and talent without chemistry looks better on paper than on the court. Add to that that the West was weaker this year than in quite some time - Clippers were crap, OKC lost Durant - throw in that GS has been playing broken teams for a month, and I think the Cavs path to win this year is easier than last year.

Reaction Score
Golden State is worse than they were last year. Start with that.

We will have to disagree on that. They haven't had as much time to gell, but they are better. I agree the West is not as strong as the hype says, but this team has won 25 or their last 26. I want Cleveland to win, but odds favor GSW.

Losing to the Cavs This Year would also tarnish the title they won 2 years ago. Durant needs his first ring to complete his resume. They will be motivated. That said, I don't bet against Lebron.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We will have to disagree on that. They haven't had as much time to gell, but they are better. I agree the West is not as strong as the hype says, but this team has won 25 or their last 26. I want Cleveland to win, but odds favor GSW.

Losing to the Cavs This Year would also tarnish the title they won 2 years ago. Durant needs his first ring to complete his resume. They will be motivated. That said, I don't bet against Lebron.

I thought the Cavs got lucky last year. This is GS's title to lose.

Reaction Score
I thought the Cavs got lucky last year. This is GS's title to lose.
If Draymond Green doesn't kick someone in the nuts, the Warriors win.

This team is better than last year's team. When push comes to shove, they have someone who can get his own shot whenever he wants against anyone. They really didn't last year.

Reaction Score
No one gets lucky in a best of 7 series.
I agree this is GSW to lose, but I hope LeBron pulls it off.
Luck isn't quite right. Golden State's weakness last year was that Draymond did a poor job of containing himself. He literally kicked multiple players in the nuts. He did it again, he got punished. It helped the Cavs win Game 5 on the road when all the momentum was against them, and then they were able to win at home and force a game 6 where they really had no pressure.

Curry had also been hurt since the first round or so...and he never fully recovered, and that combination, plus his sloppiness with the ball (another minor weakness), allowed one of the best handful of players ever to do what they do: win games and series they shouldn't by sheer force of will.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom