NBA Post-Season Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

NBA Post-Season Thread

Reaction Score
The NBA has so much going for it right now and I am loving the league, but it does suck that the regular season is almost meaningless with the Cavs and Warriors so far ahead of anyone else. goshdarn KD. That rivalry in the West should have been legendary for years. The East is a wash with Lebron being unstoppable but at least we would see 1 elite matchup before the Finals.

I can't really blame KD when OKC refused to spend money or give up future assets to properly load up the team around him and Westbrook. He had some incredible seasons there and had 1 finals appearance to show for it and never even got the 1 seed out west.

Reaction Score
Let's definitely max IT, can barely get a pass off at his height and wingspan right now, let alone a decent offensive look.

He's hurt and there's no other surefire option on the team to take some defensive pressure off him. Also Cavs did the same thing to Lowry/Derozan as well. Cavs/LeBron are just playing out of their mind.

Reaction Score
Watching bench players from both teams playing most of the fourth quarter. In Game 2 of the Conference Finals.

Embarrassing.

Reaction Score
I can't really blame KD when OKC refused to spend money or give up future assets to properly load up the team around him and Westbrook. He had some incredible seasons there and had 1 finals appearance to show for it and never even got the 1 seed out west.

I don't blame KD even a little bit. I think Presti is a unbelievably overrated. He has shown a complete inability to surround his stars with 2-way complementary pieces, especially on the wings. And they did have bad luck as well. I just selfishly wish he would have stayed, even though it wasn't in his best interest. I am holding onto the crazy belief that he will go back to OKC after they win the championship now that him and RW have apparently mended their relationship but I don't think it is even possible fiscally. Oh well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
dumping gasoline on an ant hill was a better match up than tonight.

Good gawd.

Reaction Score
I don't blame KD either. It is what it is. I doubt Silver is pleased that most people have tuned out the conference finals games by halftime though. He can spin it for a while but another year or two of this then I don't know.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any hope for any team to challenge Lebron in the East for the foreseeable future but I do hope the Celtics can pull off a move for a stud 2-way wing and maybe Fultz will be an immediate star. That could do it. Lebron could very well be the best player in the world for 5 seasons and then after that, we may get to see an over-hill, reduced athleticism Lebron become an absolutely dominant post PF during his final years. I am becoming more and more convinced that he will end his career right next to Jordan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The NBA has so much going for it right now and I am loving the league, but it does suck that the regular season is almost meaningless with the Cavs and Warriors so far ahead of anyone else. goshdarn KD. That rivalry in the West should have been legendary for years. The East is a wash with Lebron being unstoppable but at least we would see 1 elite matchup before the Finals.

Is it any more of a mess than it was in the 80's?

You had Sixer's in the early 80's but there was a 6-year periods where it was Lakers/Celtics and everyone else. Houston made a blip in the radar

Reaction Score

You had Sixer's in the early 80's but there was a 6-year periods where it was Lakers/Celtics and everyone else. Houston made a blip in the radar

Were the teams getting blown out by 30+ points in the conference finals? I think that is the problem.

Reaction Score

Those 2 teams met in the finals 3 times during the 80s but didn't do it 3 consecutive years. As long as both teams keep the core of their rosters and barring any significant injuries to their stars, we're probably looking at another 2-3 years of this same matchup after this year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Were the teams getting blown out by 30+ points? I think that is the problem.

I'll say this. 35 years later, I can't remember the opponents. Good enough? I remember Sixers/Celtics being battles. I don't remember anyone giving Lakers fits. Teams probably did, but I don't remember. History isn't broad enough to encompass scale, just results.

I do remember the Memorial Day massacre with Celtics/Lakers. From about 80-90 only memory I have of a western conference team other than the Lakers is that goofy Ralph Sampson shot to win the western conference finals.

Reaction Score
I don't blame KD even a little bit. I think Presti is a unbelievably overrated. He has shown a complete inability to surround his stars with 2-way complementary pieces, especially on the wings. And they did have bad luck as well. I just selfishly wish he would have stayed, even though it wasn't in his best interest. I am holding onto the crazy belief that he will go back to OKC after they win the championship now that him and RW have apparently mended their relationship but I don't think it is even possible fiscally. Oh well.
Presti got nothing back for Durant and Harden, that's all you need to know about Presti.

Reaction Score

Even if KD stays we can still hope for some combination of Westbrook/Harden/Kawhi/Davis to end up on the same team somehow. Hoping those guys realize that they'd be wasting their primes under the current status quo.

Reaction Score
I'll say this. 35 years later, I can't remember the opponents. Good enough? I remember Sixers/Celtics being battles. I don't remember anyone giving Lakers fits. Teams probably did, but I don't remember. History isn't broad enough to encompass scale, just results.

I do remember the Memorial Day massacre with Celtics/Lakers. From about 80-90 only memory I have of a western conference team other than the Lakers is that goofy Ralph Sampson shot to win the western conference finals.

35 years is a long time though. Do you even remember who the Cavs and GSW beat in the conference finals 2 years ago?

Reaction Score

It is a good point and comparison, but neither of those teams swept their way into the Finals like it seems the Warriors and Cavs will do this year.

Presti got nothing back for Durant and Harden, that's all you need to know about Presti.

I am being easy on him in disregarding both of those situations. Everyone was shocked by the KD departure, and I think he would have kept Harden if Clay Bennett wasn't a penny pincher. The trade was crappy, and I will never defend it, but his hand seemed to have been forced in a way.

I truly think his inability to surround KD and Russ with complementary pieces is more egregious. A competent GM should have surrounded those two players with guys who can play defense and hit open 3's. That's it. His free agent acquisitions have been God awful. Imagine how much better that roster would be if they had even an aging, somewhat over the hill Trevor Ariza, instead of a guy like Roberson who can't even hit the ocean. Even this year, all their wings can either shoot and play terrible D (McDermott, Abrines), or can play lockdown D and can't shoot a lick (Roberson, Grant).

Reaction Score
Even if KD stays we can still hope for some combination of Westbrook/Harden/Kawhi/Davis to end up on the same team somehow. Hoping those guys realize that they'd be wasting their primes under the current status quo.

I think the best immediate bet is for CP3 to join the Spurs this offseason. Not a huge window, but he is still a top 10 player in my eyes. That may not be enough, but maybe a few ring chasers could join and that squad would at least make the WCF competitive.

Reaction Score
It is a good point and comparison, but neither of those teams swept their way into the Finals like it seems the Warriors and Cavs will do this year.

I am being easy on him in disregarding both of those situations. Everyone was shocked by the KD departure, and I think he would have kept Harden if Clay Bennett wasn't a penny pincher. The trade was crappy, and I will never defend it, but his hand seemed to have been forced in a way.

I truly think his inability to surround KD and Russ with complementary pieces is more egregious. A competent GM should have surrounded those two players with guys who can play defense and hit open 3's. That's it. His free agent acquisitions have been God awful. Imagine how much better that roster would be if they had even an aging, somewhat over the hill Trevor Ariza, instead of a guy like Roberson who can't even hit the ocean. Even this year, all their wings can either shoot and play terrible D (McDermott, Abrines), or can play lockdown D and can't shoot a lick (Roberson, Grant).
True, on both counts. The owner is a cheapskate in a league full of guys who are willing to spend whatever it takes and Presti never surrounded them with the right pieces. It's unconscionable he never gave them shooters.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I started following the NBA in the very early 90s, so I watched Jordan basically once he started to win every year. It was fun, but we started to know after awhile no one was beating the Bulls.

I didn't watch before that, but there are periods through history where a team or two dominated. There aren't that many one-time or one and done champs. Teams dominate for stretches because if you have THE best player, you're always in it in basketball.

I agree, it's tedious, and the injuries have made two series' with potential intrigue into wastes of time...but the consistent domination of a few teams isn't new.

Edit: Lebron is doing some unreal things. I don't know how long he can go, but we're seeing something special.

Reaction Score
I started following the NBA in the very early 90s, so I watched Jordan basically once he started to win every year. It was fun, but we started to know after awhile no one was beating the Bulls.

I didn't watch before that, but there are periods through history where a team or two dominated. There aren't that many one-time or one and done champs. Teams dominate for stretches because if you have THE best player, you're always in it in basketball.

I agree, it's tedious, and the injuries have made two series' with potential intrigue into wastes of time...but the consistent domination of a few teams isn't new.
What are the two series with potential intrigue that were ruined by injuries?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I'll say this. 35 years later, I can't remember the opponents. Good enough? I remember Sixers/Celtics being battles. I don't remember anyone giving Lakers fits. Teams probably did, but I don't remember.
Nobody really gave them any problems other than Houston in '86.

1982: Lakers went 8-0 in two rounds vs. the West (won title 4-2 over Philly)
1983: Lakers went 8-3 in two rounds vs. the West (lost title 4-0 vs. Philly)
1984: Lakers went 11-3 in three rounds vs. the West (lost title 4-3 vs. Boston)
1985: Lakers went 11-2 in three rounds vs. the West (won title 4-2 over Boston)
1986: Lakers went 7-2 in first two rounds before losing 4-1 to the Rockets in the West finals (Boston won championship)
1987: Lakers went 11-1 in three rounds vs. the West (won title 4-2 over Boston)
1988: Lakers went 11-6 in three rounds vs. the West (won title 4-3 over Detroit)
1989: Lakers went 11-0 in three rounds vs. the West (lost title 4-0 vs. Detroit)

Went to the finals 7 of 8 years, and only twice in those 7 years did anybody in the West push them to a deciding game (both in 1988, when Magic won three straight Game 7s). They went 79-18 against the best their conference had to offer.

Not quite the insane levels of dominance we're seeing out of GSW this year and Cleveland the last few, but what we're seeing now isn't exactly unprecedented. Though it might still get there.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
He's also clearly hampered, now out with a hip injury I believe.

Not necessarily disagreeing with the conclusion, just a bit strong.
I honestly don't believe there is a real hip injury, this game is just damaging to his brand and future earnings.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nobody really gave them any problems other than Houston in '86.

1982: Lakers went 8-0 in two rounds vs. the West (won title 4-2 over Philly)
1983: Lakers went 8-3 in two rounds vs. the West (lost title 4-0 vs. Philly)
1984: Lakers went 11-3 in three rounds vs. the West (lost title 4-3 vs. Boston)
1985: Lakers went 11-2 in three rounds vs. the West (won title 4-2 over Boston)
1986: Lakers went 7-2 in first two rounds before losing 4-1 to the Rockets in the West finals (Boston won championship)
1987: Lakers went 11-1 in three rounds vs. the West (won title 4-2 over Boston)
1988: Lakers went 11-6 in three rounds vs. the West (won title 4-3 over Detroit)
1989: Lakers went 11-0 in three rounds vs. the West (lost title 4-0 vs. Detroit)

Went to the finals 7 of 8 years, and only twice in those 7 years did anybody in the West push them to a deciding game (both in 1988, when Magic won three straight Game 7s). They went 79-18 against the best their conference had to offer.

Not quite the insane levels of dominance we're seeing out of GSW this year and Cleveland the last few, but what we're seeing now isn't exactly unprecedented. Though it might still get there.

Thanks for doing the legwork; even worse is it appears my memory was fairly accurate.

Reaction Score

Imagine how well someone like Nic Batum would have fit in on those teams.

The same thing you said about OKC's guards/wings also applies to their bigs. Serge was pretty much defense only during his time in OKC, as is Adams. Then you have Kanter who can score but is super slow and atrocious defensively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom