NBA Finals Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

NBA Finals Thread

Reaction Score
2017 GSW >>> any of those three teams.
The 80s Celts and Lakers were competitive and awesome sport.
The 90s Bulls ran into few good teams. There were no Cavs/Spurs type opponents.

The 2017 GSW are, IMO, the best team ever assembled in the NBA, and they are an order of magnitude above the next best teams. More importantly, the teams you reference were built with trades and drafts. The GSW's were built on the whimsy of a top 3 five player in the league.

The equivalent from the 80s would have been Dominque Wilkins leaving the Hawks and going to the Lakers. Or in the 90s Karl Malone leaving the Jazz and going to the Bulls. It's laughably stupid and bad for the sport, if not for the "entertainment" value to the average viewer.
Oh the UConn women "bad for the sport argument"... The NBA is rolling in ratings and laughing at people like you. Also you realize outside of Durant the GSW's core was built through the draft. They went out and within the rules brought in the best available FA.

Reaction Score
It is bad for the NBA

KD is a total joke. He gets booed in every arena except Oracle.

He'll get his ring, which everyone will put a mental asterisk on

Oh the UConn women "bad for the sport argument"... The NBA is rolling in ratings and laughing at people like you. Also you realize outside of Durant the GSW's core was built through the draft. They went out and within the rules brought in the best available FA.

Reaction Score
It is bad for the NBA

KD is a total joke. He gets booed in every arena except Oracle.

He'll get his ring, which everyone will put a mental asterisk on
If people are watching the NBA is happy and numbnuts like you are mad, which is like an added bonus.

Reaction Score
This^

I mean they are a joy to watch, play together, move the ball around and run like the deuce. Fun to watch and the hate for KD? Really, do you watch the anointed best player in the league and the way he acts? Potentially the biggest whiner in the history of the game, great great player I get it but that doesn't give you the ability to hold onto refs every time a call doesn't go your way to find out why. KD just plays, good guy great player, chose a good team because, well because he can. Most of you would too.

And as i said before, at least KD is backing it up. People could sort of justifiably hate on him if he didn't show up in the finals and they still won. But he has clearly been the difference maker this series. Guy has shown up and earned his ring.

On Lebron: Not potentially imo. Definitely the biggest whiner and in the top 5 all-time floppers in league history as well. despite his claims that he "doesnt flop". the numerous extensive youtube videos prove otherwise.

Reaction Score

The NBA is rolling in the ratings now...if the Cavs had been swept like this the past two Finals, though, I doubt that the ratings would be near where they are now. Similarly, if All-Star GS continues to sweep its way to titles, the ratings will go down.

Reaction Score
I'm a C's fan, we have to wait out some of this from CLE, GSW

I just think KD is a joke and will never respect the dude no matter how good he is and how many rings he gets

He used to be a fan favorite, now he gets booed everywhere he plays, I wonder why?

If people are watching the NBA is happy and numbnuts like you are mad, which is like an added bonus.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
One reason everyone else hates them is that they've had unbelievable injury luck that no other contender has had recently. The 2015 series might have looked different if Love and Irving were healthy. The Cavs are still waiting for a chance to play GS without Curry and Thompson playing.

People resent KD because he essentially conceded that because he couldn't beat em he better join em. He wasn't going to GS to challenge himself, but whatever.

Which is exactly what Lebron did when he joined the Heat. I don't get the hate. The league needs to find a way to make it harder for moves like that (or Lebron's) to happen.

Reaction Score
Which is exactly what Lebron did when he joined the Heat. I don't get the hate. The league needs to find a way to make it harder for moves like that (or Lebron's) to happen.

^BINGO^

Reaction Score

The 2009-10 Heat did not win 73 games. The 2013-14 Cavs did not win 73 games. Lebron was not joining a championship team, as Durant was. He was trying to build one. Lebron's return to Cleveland was not motivated by ring chasing or money. There would have been better places to go, if he had been. He "promised" to bring a title to Cleveland, which is definitely part of the reason that he went back.

Reaction Score
Can't believe anyone could equate Lebron's move with KD's. Completely different.

Game last night was at least entertaining front to back. Hoping the Cavs win the next one. Seems like they are starting to figure it out. Obviously, too little too late though. Gonna be interesting to see what happens in the offseason..

Reaction Score
The 2009-10 Heat did not win 73 games. The 2013-14 Cavs did not win 73 games. Lebron was not joining a championship team, as Durant was. He was trying to build one. Lebron's return to Cleveland was not motivated by ring chasing or money. There would have been better places to go, if he had been. He "promised" to bring a title to Cleveland, which is definitely part of the reason that he went back.

But why did he leave? Because he wasn't ready to build it there, his home town basically, with what they had.

I mean anyone trying to differentiate what KD did compared to what LeBron did is crazy, they both went somewhere to win. Not saying you shouldn't, if the NBA allows it then by all means have at it. No one did anything illegal so the hate on KD is beyond ridiculous. I mean besides Curry who do they have that's better than D Wade was in Miami - no one! And C Bosh is as good or better than most any of the support characters on GState they have. Everyone has an opinion, no one is right if you wish to argue. Ultimately they made a choice to go win and both will win.

Reaction Score
But why did he leave? Because he wasn't ready to build it there, his home town basically, with what they had.

I mean anyone trying to differentiate what KD did compared to what LeBron did is crazy, they both went somewhere to win. Not saying you shouldn't, if the NBA allows it then by all means have at it. No one did anything illegal so the hate on KD is beyond ridiculous. I mean besides Curry who do they have that's better than D Wade was in Miami - no one! And C Bosh is as good or better than most any of the support characters on GState they have. Everyone has an opinion, no one is right if you wish to argue. Ultimately they made a choice to go win and both will win.

Nobody's saying KD did anything illegal. UNC didn't do anything illegal, either; that's not the point.

A 33 win team vs. a 73 win team? I think that's a pretty big difference. I don't hate KD, but I think it's pretty absurd to compare him to Lebron when Lebron has carried multiple teams to titles, while KD (because he was unable to do that) decided to go along for the ride.

Reaction Score
I went back two pages and didn't see anyone discuss this yet. What's up with Lebron standing 34 ft from the hoop watching Kyrie Irving take the shot after Durant's dagger 3? Who does that? Jordan? Bird? Kobe?

Reaction Score
So, you're saying it was a mental lapse by LeBron which essentially cost the Cavs the game...
No, I think he was physically gassed and lined up where he did to prevent a drive to the hoop without necessarily considering the 3-point line. Now its possible the physical fatigue affected him mentally & he otherwise would have been a half-step out on the 3-pt line, but that's thin speculation on top of conjecture. Generally it was a small defensive error, mostly attributable to stuff happens and great offense beats good D, but its kind of a back-handed compliment to LeBron that I think fatigue played a factor in him instinctively thinking he had to be a bit closer to the paint to prevent a drive.

Reaction Score
I'm a C's fan, we have to wait out some of this from CLE, GSW

I just think KD is a joke and will never respect the dude no matter how good he is and how many rings he gets

He used to be a fan favorite, now he gets booed everywhere he plays, I wonder why?
You live in your own little fantasy world of hate. Durant doesn't get booed everywhere he goes and if Durant is a joke so is Garnett, Ray Allen, Lebron and others.

Reaction Score

Lebron joined a top 5 player who already led his team to an NBA title and recruited the best power forward in the game to Miami to in their words win 5, 6, 7, 8 championships. In doing this he knew Cleveland would suck and would accumulate high draft picks. Once Lebron saw how good Kyrie was and saw that the team would have the space to bring in Love a 26 & 12 player he knew he had enough to win and could come home a savior.

I don't fault him for it, just like I don't fault the Celtics for joining up together to try and win championships.

Reaction Score
I went back two pages and didn't see anyone discuss this yet. What's up with Lebron standing 34 ft from the hoop watching Kyrie Irving take the shot after Durant's dagger 3? Who does that? Jordan? Bird? Kobe?
In his defense Kyrie is maybe the best iso player in the NBA but I agree the best player in the world needs the ball in his hands at the end and needs to get to the rack.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

That's always my issue in the Jordan debate.

Lebron was tremendous. He always is. His numbers and talent are otherworldly. But not one great, namely the ones you mentioned, would have finished that game in the last 2-3 minutes like he just did.

If Irving had a layup, fine. He dribbled solo for 15 seconds then pulled up, while Lebron watched. The Cavs looked like they didn't know what to do in those situations.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
No, I think he was physically gassed and lined up where he did to prevent a drive to the hoop without necessarily considering the 3-point line. Now its possible the physical fatigue affected him mentally & he otherwise would have been a half-step out on the 3-pt line, but that's thin speculation on top of conjecture. Generally it was a small defensive error, mostly attributable to stuff happens and great offense beats good D, but its kind of a back-handed compliment to LeBron that I think fatigue played a factor in him instinctively thinking he had to be a bit closer to the paint to prevent a drive.

That isn't how basketball works...NBA players read scouting reports Lebron knows KD traits to say that he was going to stop the ball 1 step behind the 3 point line doesn't exactly make sense. However, I get what you're saying.

Reaction Score
That isn't how basketball works...NBA players read scouting reports Lebron knows KD traits to say that he was going to stop the ball 1 step behind the 3 point line doesn't exactly make sense. However, I get what you're saying.
I think we are close to agreeing, i.e. if LeBron had an earpiece in and as KD approached we told him that he's inside the 3pt arc he would have said/thought "Oh EXPLETIVE" and moved up that half step.

But generally in this instance and picking apart individual plays to determine legacies is nitpicking that's enabled by current video, hot take culture etc.. If he wasn't a winning player his teams wouldn't win and be in the finals so much.

Reaction Score
3 of the 4 GSW stars are elite 2 way players. Steph looks good in defensive analytics but I wouldnt argue he is an elite defensive player.

On the other hand, Kyrie and Love are objectively bad defensive players. The Cavs have had a historically good offense at times this year - this is not the side of the court where I believe they need to improve.

From watching the games themselves though Lebron the worst defensively amongst the Cavs stars last night. Kyrie actually did a really good job on Steph last night all things considered.

He was gassed, they are playing unsustainable pace too dependent on LeBron. He was missing layups he normally makes and the team is simply too dependent on LeBron at both ends.

Think you're over emphasizing LeBron here. Kyrie had been their shot taker most of the 2nd half, and LeBron was being kept away from Durant for most of the half (poor Richard Jefferson).

Reaction Score
You're confusing "I don't like him" with "he isn't likable."

Sure. That's what happens when you have to play pretty close to full-bore for 46 minutes. It's outrageous. The thought that he was out of gas!!

He logged 46 minutes of high intensity basketball. Athleticism wasn't the problem tonight. Every other Cav starter was -6 or worse tonight, in a 5 point loss. LeBron? He was +7 over 46 minutes. That stat is unreal. Irving played 44 minutes and was -9. Somebody sharper than me can figure out what that means in terms of the 2 minute difference and how bad Kyrie's squad without LBJ was in 2 minutes. He shot 4 of 9 from 3, and 11 of 19 from 2. He had 11 boards and 9 assists. And this, against a swarming, athletic, tall defense that was laser focused on him and that held the rest of the team to 39% shooting. And you think the problem was that he's lost some athleticism? I'm still waiting to find out how old you are. I'm completely serious about that.

1 extra stud player? LOL.
Agree on role players. Terrible tonight. TT had 3 boards and 0 points in 23 minutes tonight. Dreadful, but it really is more of a reflection of good GS is. Their 5th best defenders easily shut TT down completely.

The "actual" rules of the sport. Phew. Glad we're using the "actual" rules.

Oh man, no doubt the gun the 3 or crash the rim is the most efficient way to score. Did you think I didn't understand that? That maybe I thought the constant 3 point shooting by GS was not causally related to their success? Come on!
That's exactly the reason why GS is so good, why Curry and Thompson are regarded so highly (although both are tremendous shooters), and why I don't enjoy the NBA as much as I used to.
I love the concept that a longer shot should get you bonus value, because it spreads the floor out, speeds up the game, biases the game toward finesse players, and allows for larger leads to be overcome more easily. No doubt all true. I just think offering 50% more for what is now a shot that most shooters in the NBA can hit at 40% radically skews the shot selection in a less interesting way. When they implemented the rule, you didn't have a generation of kids bombing from 3 all day. Now you do. So change it. Back the line up (less preferred), or make it a 2.5 point line.

Sorry you spent so much time typing, but given that I've yet to see you have 1 quality take on anything NBA, I'm afraid I won't be taking the time to offer a point by point response.

Reaction Score
Lebron was tremendous. He always is. His numbers and talent are otherworldly. But not one great, namely the ones you mentioned, would have finished that game in the last 2-3 minutes like he just did.
Not one great had to play balls to the wall for 44 minutes against the best team ever assembled prior to those last two minutes. Completely not fair to judge him on the last 2 minutes. If LBJ wasn't in the game, the Cavs would have been down by 30 with 2 minutes left.

Man, the hate on this guy is strong.

I suppose the main reason I now can't stand Kevin Durant (as a basketball player) is because he ruined what would have been an epic 3rd matchup. Without KD, we're probably looking at a 7 game series, and either Curry/Thompson's greatness or James' would have emerged and been part of the lore.

Now, instead, we have a boring series with a guy who couldn't get it done until he jointed the guys who kept beating him. He's pathetic.

He stole his false glory from those three guys, and made the thing a farce. People won't look back in 10 years and talk about how great Curry was. Nope. They'll be thinking, "yah, KD was sure huge in that series."

Reaction Score
Sorry you spent so much time typing, but given that I've yet to see you have 1 quality take on anything NBA, I'm afraid I won't be taking the time to offer a point by point response.
Prom and graduation must have tuckered you out.
Any plans for a lemonade stand this summer??

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I think we are close to agreeing, i.e. if LeBron had an earpiece in and as KD approached we told him that he's inside the 3pt arc he would have said/thought "Oh EXPLETIVE" and moved up that half step.

But generally in this instance and picking apart individual plays to determine legacies is nitpicking that's enabled by current video, hot take culture etc.. If he wasn't a winning player his teams wouldn't win and be in the finals so much.

Lol what? I've been arguing that Lebron is the GOAT. Lebron > Jordan. However, Lebron's defensive lapse isn't a little thing...I'm not using the play to determine his legacy.. but that play that play is key to why the Cavs lost as well as the turnaround jumper Lebron took.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom