NBA Finals Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

NBA Finals Thread

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Generally speaking, I'd like to chime in on the KD newly minted best topic ... I don't think that's fair YET, as many have pointed out.

He stepped his game up BIG TIME in the finals. I'd say that, unfair or fair, if he did this exact thing with any other team, that convo would be loud and prevalent.

He played phenomenal, always has been phenomenal, but GS is built perfectly for him, and vice versa.

It's one of the couple things that have made me go easy on him as far as his decision. The difference, as a scorer and one of the main playmakers, between how OKC plays and GS plays, is enormous.

His physical tools make his Defensive possibilities unlimited, and he's starting to turn it up on that end. And he's always been one of the most pure scorers ever born.

But I can't say based on what I've seen that he's now BETTER than Lebron.

Reaction Score
Durant is wholly different. What Durant did, to me, was cowardly. Just my opinion. It showed a basic lack of pride and fight. I never wanted to be on the stacked team growing up and playing sports. I suppose it's a personality thing. I consider the win this year to be devoid of glory. It was like a grown man beating up a 12 year old. How can anybody cheer for that?
I just can't get over how prevalent this take is. There's so little difference in what Lebron has done twice now vs. what Durant did. They both left teams that were unable to put championship-caliber talent around them (including depth) and found the best possible situations for their chances to win. Lebron was essentially given carte blanche in building a Cavs team that already had some high quality players and the number 1 overall pick. And when it came down to it, they gave up way too many easy baskets where they just didn't get back and weren't able to distribute the ball like the Warriors. They perfected the Lebron model by adding great coaching and drafting better.

Reaction Score
I just can't get over how prevalent this take is. There's so little difference in what Lebron has done twice now vs. what Durant did.
There's a massive difference. One's ability to see it appears to be inversely related to how much one dislikes LeBron.
Durant went to the best team in the league, that was already the best team without him, and that already had set a regular season win record - without him. They would have been in the finals - without him. They probably would have won - without him. He could have sucked big nuts and they probably win - without him. Yeah yeah, he had big stats in the finals, but so what? If he's not taking the shot, then Curry or Thompson or Green eat up those shots.

The "take" is prevalent because there's an overriding feeling that he wasn't needed by the Warriors, who didn't need him, and he went there not to make a difference, because they didn't need him for that, but rather to put on a ring. He, quite literally, could have blown out both ACLs in December, not played another game, and still gotten a ring (assuming they give them out to injured players).

That was not the case either time for LeBron, AT ALL, and if you can't see that, it's because you don't want to see that.

Reaction Score
There's a massive difference. One's ability to see it appears to be inversely related to how much one dislikes LeBron.
Durant went to the best team in the league, that was already the best team without him, and that already had set a regular season win record - without him. They would have been in the finals - without him. They probably would have won - without him. He could have sucked big nuts and they probably win - without him. Yeah yeah, he had big stats in the finals, but so what? If he's not taking the shot, then Curry or Thompson or Green eat up those shots.

The "take" is prevalent because there's an overriding feeling that he wasn't needed by the Warriors, who didn't need him, and he went there not to make a difference, because they didn't need him for that, but rather to put on a ring. He, quite literally, could have blown out both ACLs in December, not played another game, and still gotten a ring (assuming they give them out to injured players).

That was not the case either time for LeBron, AT ALL, and if you can't see that, it's because you don't want to see that.
BS, Durant may have done it to a higher degree, but Lebron leaving for "superteams" in both Miami and then Cleveland massively swung the balance of power in the NBA. I don't have any issue with Lebron at all, he did what he had to do to have the best shot to win a championship and so did Durant.

Reaction Score

What was their record without KD? Oh that's right, they won like 15 straight games.

LeBron sits for literally two minutes and the entire game shifts and becomes un-winnable. Part of the reason we can't really gauge LeBron's value is because he has NEVER been hurt for any extended period of time.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

IMHO you over exaggerated in your post
There is no way you can definitively say that without KD, GS would have beaten the Cavs. What if Green went ballistic and there was no KD there to calm him down, he gets T'd and thrown out/suspended - Green reacts to KD, not anyone else on that floor. What if the Cavs 2nd team and JS had huge finals - no guarantee of a GS win in that case
Yeah Yeah he had big stats you say - big deal? It sure was. Also his defensive presence was a beautiful thing to watch.

Obviously you are a LeBron disciple - yeah he is a great player but his flopping and his whining are getting out of hand. If LeBron could join a team like GS, he would in a heartbeat - but then again maybe not - at GS he would never be able to throw up 30 shots in a playoff game. LJ and KI took 63% of the shots for Cleveland in game 5 - that is ridiculous and shows that these two guys don't care to share or want to trust guys like Love. It was 2v5 and a sad thing to watch.
Again, LeBron is great but he does things, in my mind, that tarnish his image.
Just my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
He definitely steps it up when it matters. Regular season a few years ago, he was not the best. But he uses his length very well in the playoffs, especially the last 2 years.

Agreed 100%.

There's definitely a broader analytics debate that Kyrie embodies. What's the value of creating your own shot and winning 1 on 1 vs. team pace and space basketball? Does it become more important in the playoffs when guys are "trying harder" (sub-question, are guys really more motivated and "locked in" during the playoffs?) There's a backlash against iso-ball because post-MJ players who weren't good enough at it were overdoing it, and teams would often defer to their franchise guy in key moments to their own detriment.

But this game has always been, and will always be, about buckets.

I don't agree with this. They've got two Avery Bradleys on the roster (JR Smith and Iman Shumpert). I understand that specifically against Golden State he's in a difficult spot because of Durant, but against literally every other team he's a big plus. His spacing and shooting destroyed Boston. His DREB% was 30% (and his outlets ignited their fast break), and he had a 60% TS% overall in the playoffs. He was still 6th in playoff win shares. I don't think it's a coincidence that the game in the Finals he shot well from 3, they won.

Nailed it.

Great stuff here, I haven't seen it put quite that succinctly by many people. Those type of discussions are what make basketball great, IMO.

I agree that Love was great for most of the season, I just don't think the "against literally every other team..." retort matters much when that one team is the only one that matters. It's kind of like saying, "but my trainer prepared me so well for everybody except Ali."

Don't think Smith or Shump are nearly as good as Bradley.

Reaction Score
Obviously you are a LeBron disciple - yeah he is a great player but his flopping and his whining are getting out of hand. If LeBron could join a team like GS, he would in a heartbeat - but then again maybe not - at GS he would never be able to throw up 30 shots in a playoff game. LJ and KI took 63% of the shots for Cleveland in game 5 - that is ridiculous and shows that these two guys don't care to share or want to trust guys like Love. It was 2v5 and a sad thing to watch.

You're ripping someone else for bias and then you post this nonsense. I love it.

Reaction Score
but Lebron leaving for "superteams" in both Miami and then Cleveland massively swung the balance of power in the NBA.
You're just not wanting to get it.
LBJ went to a Heat team that finished 5th in the Conference and lost in the 1st round. Without LBJ, they have zero shot of even getting out of the East.
LBJ went to a Cleveland to a losing, non-playoff team that had zero shot of getting out of the East without him.

Durant went to the favorites to win it all - without him.

The funny part is, it's dancing on your face after you spit it out, and you refuse to see it. You said LBJ moving "massively swung the balance of power". Right! Exactly!

Durant? His move didn't even move the needle much. GS went from "clear favorites" to "very clear favorites."

pretty funy

Reaction Score
LBJ went to a Heat team that finished 5th in the Conference and lost in the 1st round. Without LBJ, they have zero shot of even getting out of the East.
LBJ went to a Cleveland to a losing, non-playoff team that had zero shot of getting out of the East without him.

The funny part is, it's dancing on your face after you spit it out, and you refuse to see it. You said LBJ moving "massively swung the balance of power". Right! Exactly!

Durant? His move didn't even move the needle much. GS went from "clear favorites" to "very clear favorites."

pretty funy
He didn't just go. He brought Kevin love with him. You're ignoring that LBJs jumps have all come with a superstar. KDs didn't.

Reaction Score

pretty funy
Of course the moves aren't exactly the same but you sound like Lebron saying he never played on a "super" team. He handpicked his team in Miami where he said he would win not 5, 6, 7...championships and hand picked his team in Cleveland. Somehow you also fail to mention Lebron brought along Chris Bosh a (24/11) guy to Miami and Kevin Love a (26/12.5) guy to Cleveland. Lebron is amazing and still better than Durant IMO but your post is disingenuous just like it is disingenuous when Lebron says he never played on any "super" teams.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I feel like you took an amalgamation of other people's thoughts and made a TL;DR post of the thread up to this point, except this TL;DR actually ended up being the longest post of the entire thread.
Except, also, that I actually read it and found it rather complete. The only thing not mentioned is speculation that KD went to GSW to satisfy his mom in the same way LBJ returned to Cleveland. There are multiple definitions of 'home;' at different times, I would have assigned such status to a desk kept at my sister's house and my telephone. Mom was very happy and proud to see her son win, and both could be pleased with how well well he played on both ends of the court in doing so.

Reaction Score
You're ripping someone else for bias and then you post this nonsense. I love it.

He did have a couple solid points though. Still better than your posting to essentially announce that you're not sure what to think.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'm just glad it's over. This was one of the least enjoyable NBA playoff seasons/championship series in recent memory. I wish we could go back to the 80s Lakers/Celtics days.

Reaction Score

Quick kevin Ollie shout out @ around 1:54:00

If somebody prepared a video montage of all the NBA players talking about Kevin Ollie, it would be quite the recruiting tool.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom