NBA Finals Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

NBA Finals Thread

Reaction Score
Man, I can't stand this POS Joe Lacob. The hate is beginning. All this talk of the great fanbase when the Silicon Valley bandwagoners who just want to go to games as a status symbol are pushing the true fans to the rafters. I am so bitter.
It's like that everywhere.

Reaction Score
Man, I can't stand this POS Joe Lacob. The hate is beginning. All this talk of the great fanbase when the Silicon Valley bandwagoners who just want to go to games as a status symbol are pushing the true fans to the rafters. I am so bitter.

Just wait til they move to the Chase Center.

Reaction Score

You have to basically be personally wealthy to buy a ticket there, don't you?

Reaction Score
Everyone seems to forget Iguadola was hurt this time last year.

Screenshot_2017-06-12-22-52-461.jpg

Reaction Score
If the object is to beat Golden State, I don't see how Cleveland can justify not trading Love for a wing.

Reaction Score
Really wanted the Cavs to take this one. Ah well.

Can't blame J.R. Smith for this loss. The last two games, dude has played like his life depended on it. That can't be said for every Cavalier..

Congrats to Durant on getting a ring, even if he took the easy way.

Reaction Score
Great fanbase = willing to pay the most.

Reaction Score
You have to basically be personally wealthy to buy a ticket there, don't you?

Honestly, don't know. I am an East Coaster. I have heard that ticket prices are going up and up, understandably so. I would imagine you can get in for 1 or 150. The fan base is great. I will always remember the roaring arena when they upset the 1 seed Mavs. And the TMC era had roaring crowds as well.

Great fanbase = willing to pay the most.
Sarcasm, I presume? Apologies if my meter is broken.

Reaction Score
I've just read essentially the same post by you three times within the last page and a half. You might be right, but, "Pot, meet kettle."

If i kept saying it over and over again then maybe. Except I said it once and then responded to two different posters who quoted my post.

Yeah, me posting on here is an accurate comprison to how Lebron acts in NBA games. You really burned me there. That was a great and accurate analogy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If i kept saying it over and over again then maybe. Except I said it once and then responded to two different posters who quoted my post.

Yeah, me posting on here is an accurate comprison to how Lebron acts in NBA games. You really burned me there. That was a great and accurate analogy.

Now if you start posting images of flopping!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
People complaining about the price of tickets to Oracle, need to visit that area. Everything is expensive, incredibly expensive at that. They are going to move from Oakland into the valley next year and ticket prices will only get worse.

Reaction Score
Sarcasm, I presume? Apologies if my meter is broken.
I am going by the owners' perspective.

Media was mentioning no game 5 and 7 in Oakland would cost millions. Game 5 ends up having 2 of the most expensive seats in NBA history.

Amusing how the Warriors sucked for so long and now they're another bandwagon team. I must say, successful teams are good for the tourism business. A successful New England Patriots franchise is good for the NFL and New England.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I am going by the owners' perspective.

Media was mentioning no game 5 and 7 in Oakland would cost millions. Game 5 ends up having 2 of the most expensive seats in NBA history.

Amusing how the Warriors sucked for so long and now they're another bandwagon team. I must say, successful teams are good for the tourism business. A successful New England Patriots franchise is good for the NFL and New England.

Let's face it, every league needs at least one hated (dominant) team.

MLB: For a long time, it was the Yankees. If the lovable Cubs stay good, it will eventually be them.
MCBB: Duke and now UK.
NBA: Lakers fell into that category for a while. The Heat. And now the Warriors.
NHL: doesn't seem to happen as much for whatever reason. Although nobody seems to like the Canadians.
NFL: Raiders/49ers. Cowboys. Patriots.

It's fun hating against a team and fanbase.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Let's face it, every league needs at least one hated (dominant) team.

MLB: For a long time, it was the Yankees. If the lovable Cubs stay good, it will eventually be them.
MCBB: Duke and now UK.
NBA: Lakers fell into that category for a while. The Heat. And now the Warriors.
NHL: doesn't seem to happen as much for whatever reason. Although nobody seems to like the Canadians.
NFL: Raiders/49ers. Cowboys. Patriots.

It's fun hating against a team and fanbase.

The Bronx Bombers are coming back. Court is in session and Aaron is presiding.

Reaction Score
Some parting thoughts on the finals/season:

- I haven't read this article by Jackie MacMullan, but I assume it's good: Kevin Durant is the NBA Finals MVP! But not for the reason you think

I know I've said this before, but I don't think people realize how good Durant is defensively. He's good defensively to the point that he would be Cleveland's third or fourth best player if he was Andre Roberson on offense. I'm not sure how his defensive metrics shake out over an 82 game sample, but what he's done defensively these last two postseasons have left me with the impression that he is one of the half dozen best defenders in the game. By my unofficial count, he was the most effective Warrior guarding both LeBron and Kyrie.

- Along those lines, LeBron/Durant is a real debate. I'm not Paul Pierce and I don't say so as a passive-aggressive jab at LeBron, whose game continues to ascend to levels we haven't seen. I don't say so in neglect of the fact that Golden State's roster is perfectly suited to accentuate Durant's game and I don't say so in ignorance of just how highly the deck was stacked against LeBron in this series. The Cavs had no shot and I can assure you that my opinion is not reactionary in nature. I picked Golden State in five. This is neutral at worst for LeBron's 'legacy.'

But there were moments, even in that series, where all of that context submitted to the spectacle of KD and LeBron going one on one, and in those situations, LeBron respected KD - fear felt strong - in a way I'm not sure I've ever seen him respect another player, at least not in this generation. That respect was evident in the hesitancy he demonstrated during one on one match-ups with KD, and it's that hesitancy - and his natural inclination towards being a facilitator - in iso situations that may keep LeBron behind Jordan, at least for now.

- Speaking of that, Kyrie...I think he's winning me over. The dude is just do damned good one on one. He's one of the most skilled players to ever lace them up. There are problems with his game. Takes a lot of low-reward mid-range shots, free throw rate not great, poor defender, not ideal off the ball, not a great facilitator (I actually thought Golden State should have given more help on Kyrie than they did). But holy hell, as a Warriors supporter, I fear him with the ball in his hands more than LeBron. And I know that fear is not well-founded, but the fact that it exists is emblematic of how incredible he is. Weirdly, he's the type of dude you could replace with Kyle Lowry and actually be better off right up until you run into the one team that actually matters. Then he goes from polarizing-in-the-analytics-community Kyrie to Uncle Drew.

- I don't think it's a coincidence that LeBron reportedly waited for every Cav to enter the locker-room last night only to finally embrace Kyrie and say, "we'll be back." My suspicion is that Kyrie - and maybe J.R., for a short time - was the only guy LeBron didn't think hung him out to dry in that series. I've banged the Love drum before, but it's important to re-iterate: there is no sense in carrying a player on your roster that is useful right up until the moment you need him. He can't play against Golden State for very legitimate basketball reasons. The ball dominance of LeBron and Kyrie makes it so he's less valuable to Cleveland's offense than he would be anywhere else, and so in total he becomes Chris Bosh on offense, which would be fine if not for the fact that he isn't Chris Bosh on defense. I think Cleveland would be much more competitive in that series even if they just swapped Love for a player like Avery Bradley.

- Kevin Durant just really likes basketball. It's that simple. He didn't go to the Warriors for money, or his legacy, or the weather. He went there because he's obsessed with basketball and he's obsessed with playing it the right way. That wasn't happening in Oklahoma City and it was in Golden State and it's obvious from watching him talk last night how happy he was to play here.

I'm fine if you hate on Durant for joining the Warriors, but my sense is that a lot of you are people who are just going to hate the NBA no matter what. Here's a guy who was willing to be coached, willing to be taught, willing to be part of something bigger than himself. He was willing to view himself as part of the machine instead of the machine. His teammates love him, his coaches love him, and ultimately his decision aligned with what is supposed to motivate athletes: winning. The same simpletons who will crush LeBron for being 3-5 in the finals are the ones who will place the asterisk on Durant's ring. They'll hate the NBA for being a star-dominated league and then when the star loses to the superior team they'll rip the star anyway.

Reaction Score
I said before the Finals that the Cavs' 2nd unit had to be great for them to compete

They were awful, not a single player in double digits in 5 games. Last night a total of 7 4 and 2 for bench players

Crazy idea, would C's do a deal where we took Love and gave up Crowder and Rozier

Cavs need to get younger and more versatile. Only if the Hayward thing doesn't happen

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Some parting thoughts on the finals/season:

Some good stuff in there

Love wasn't able to do the things on offense in the finals because LJ and KI were in a "my offense first" mode. I'm not a Cavs or Love fan at all but in order for that team, and any team for that matter, to be successful, they have to share the ball. Yeah Smith was a joke and Jefferson, bless him, really showed his age BUT Jeff and Love really needed to be more involved.
I don't understand the Durant bashing, the guy showed both offensive AND defensive dominance. He is a part, albeit a big part, of a machine developed at Golden State. They are strong in every position but the 5 and with KD and Draymond, they don't need a superstar 5 BUT imagine if they have one!
James is a great player, Durant is a great player, but the two look at the game in two different perspectives. One enjoys the game, wants to learn at all times and loves to win. The other plays more for, IMHO, personal stats and to be the center of attention but he also desires to win. In my mind I take the former.
Golden State, if preserved in it's present format, will win the next 5 titles. But it's the NBA and things change so quickly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom