Naheim Alleyne - VT transfer | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Naheim Alleyne - VT transfer

Reaction Score
I disagree.

We assume but do not know if Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins will take steps forward. But they are on both teams so they are a net equal.

We lost Cole and Martin. We replaced them with Newton and Karaban. I think Karaban will be a stud based on Peach Jam and high school but there is no guarantee. At the moment, we have downgraded UNLESS we bring in another STUD guard. That should be our first priority ahead of Alleyne and Castle reclass.

So we’re stagnating because we lost some players to graduating, we don’t know for 100% fact if any returning players will get any better, and we don’t know for 100% fact if any new players will be good?

You just described every team in college sports.

Reaction Score
I disagree.

We assume but do not know if Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins will take steps forward. But they are on both teams so they are a net equal.

We lost Cole and Martin. We replaced them with Newton and Karaban. I think Karaban will be a stud based on Peach Jam and high school but there is no guarantee. At the moment, we have downgraded UNLESS we bring in another STUD guard. That should be our first priority ahead of Alleyne and Castle reclass.
Your arguments are horrendous. If you use that argument every team in the country shouldn't assume their core players from last year will improve from last season and be much better players? DH has proven he is great at developing players in the off season so not sure where the doubt comes from.

Newton is THE stud guard we needed to bring in. Hawk is a STUD. Now we need to build/bring in some of the pieces around them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't like Johnson playing alongside Sanogo or Clingan that much, but otherwise in the ballpark.
Why? Athletic, runs the floor, dunks frequently, good 3 point shooter, shot blocker. Perfect fit opposite Sanogo. Opposite Clingan, I'm not sure who is defending a Clingan pass to Johnson for a dunk. Good luck stopping that.

Reaction Score
Why? Athletic, runs the floor, dunks frequently, good 3 point shooter, shot blocker. Perfect fit opposite Sanogo. Opposite Clingan, I'm not sure who is defending a Clingan pass to Johnson for a dunk. Good luck stopping that.
I don't think opposing teams will respect his outside shot and it'll cause spacing problems like Whaley (though Whaley's outside shooting last year was actually underrated).

We'll see.

Reaction Score
I don't think opposing teams will respect his outside shot and it'll cause spacing problems like Whaley (though Whaley's outside shooting last year was actually underrated).

We'll see.
Samson can shoot. I like his shot better than Akok’s. He’s way ahead of Whaley in terms of teams respecting an outside shot.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would agree with you if Hurley already had a feather in his cap here but going winless in the tournament in his first 5 seasons would kind of be a disaster.

Losing 4 of the top 6 players to graduation can't be an excuse when those 4 players never won a single tournament game.

The kids were good enough for you to call not winning tournament games with them a disaster, but then not good enough to use losing them as an excuse because they never won a tournament game?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We were top 25 last year. We are supposed to improve, not stagnate.
This reminds me that after each one of our NCs invariably there would be posters who would gripe about something they saw in our victory and how the coaches/team should have done something differently.

Reaction Score
The kids were good enough for you to call not winning tournament games with them a disaster, but then not good enough to use losing them as an excuse because they never won a tournament game?
I said not winning a tournament game in his first 5 seasons here would kind of be a disaster.

Reaction Score
This reminds me that after each one of our NCs invariably there would be posters who would gripe about something they saw in our victory and how the coaches/team should have done something differently.
Shizzle just wants to complain about everything and anything. DH has improved our ranking year after year so not sure what he's even talking about.

Reaction Score

You're trolling us, right? If you don't expect your high ceiling players to get better, you shouldn't be watching basketball. Under that theory, every team would get worse every season because your average freshman coming in is never going to be as good as your average senior having developed for four years.

Reaction Score
Here's how it could play out compared to last year's squad:

Sanogo: incremental improvement versus last year (+)
Jackson: at least incremental improvement to last year (+)
Newton: wash versus Cole. (0)
Hawkins: moderate to significant improvement over last year. Will he be as good as Martin? A wash to possibly a slight negative (0/-)
Johnson/Alleyne: Alleyne would bring a lot more offense than Whaley. Johnson has a higher ceiling than Whaley but how much will he have improved? Neither is likely to provide the defense that Whaley did. This slot could be a positive, a negative or a wash. Hard to say, very different players.

Bench: Clingan, Karaban, Castle, Johnson/Alleyne, additional experienced portal guard looks clearly better than Polley/Gaffney.

On paper the team would be improved compared to last year. Not top 10 but better.
If AJ is only moderately improved, people are going to be disappointed in our season. I know Hawkins will be better. I know Sanogo doesn't even need to improve -- he just needs to play well more consistently (which given his work ethic I have little doubt about). But AJ does a lot of good things, but also kills us as a perimeter player who neither shots a high enough volume of threes nor can drive to the rim.

Yes, we need at least one more impact player, one or two rotation roll players and some bench depth, but how good we are is going to depend more on AJ's improvement than anything else.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's stupid to compare anyone on this year's roster to last years because the roster construction last season was terrible. That's why a 1:1 comparison is dumb.

Here's how I look at it. Last year we had 1 guy who could reliably beat his man to create his own offense, and that guy was barely 6' tall. We started 3 players who couldn't score from more than 5 feet away from the hoop. This season, if everyone develops how we expect them to we will be starting, at a minimum, 3 guys who can create their own offense off the bounce. That is already a huge improvement. This seasons roster will be constructed how a modern day roster should look.
Even if we disagree on some details I agree with this. I hate to say it, but losing Whaley and Polley, two guys who were very limited on one end of the court, is additional by subtraction if we can replace them with more well rounded players. Agree Newton also fits better than Cole did, whether his stats end up being as good or not. Honestly, I don't want the PG leading the team in scoring. With some expected improvement from returning players and a little more new blood for depth, the team is pretty solid.

Reaction Score
Certainly seems to be enough shooting, passing and dribbling skills to be a solid off-guard addition. We still could use Castle and/or another primary ball handler but I like the direction things are headed so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom