Naheim Alleyne - VT transfer | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Naheim Alleyne - VT transfer

Reaction Score
How does he compare with Polley’s weaknesses?
Better ball handler/facilitator, better on D. Better rebounder as well but Polley has size on him and was probably a better rebounder when he wanted to be (showed flashes at times).

Alleyne also makes threes more often but I think Polley has a nicer/quicker shot and is taller so Alleyne would probably be used differently. For example, the three to cut it to one vs Nova that Polley hit he came off a screen and used his size/quick shot to elevate over the D. Not sure if we’d run that same play with Alleyne as he doesn’t have the same size and his feet are kinda staggered when he shoots. I think they’d run the play for Alleyne that they did for RJ a lot this year where he gets a top of three point line ball screen freeing him up for a 3 attempt dead on. I actually saw him hit a three on that same play in a highlight film. Should also be lethal in transition as a 3 point threat but also going to the basket, especially when paired with some of the other guards we’ll have on the court.

Reaction Score
Better ball handler/facilitator, better on D. Better rebounder as well but Polley has size on him and was probably a better rebounder when he wanted to be (showed flashes at times).

Alleyne also makes threes more often but I think Polley has a nicer/quicker shot and is taller so Alleyne would probably be used differently. For example, the three to cut it to one vs Nova that Polley hit he came off a screen and used his size/quick shot to elevate over the D. Not sure if we’d run that same play with Alleyne as he doesn’t have the same size and his feet are kinda staggered when he shoots. I think they’d run the play for Alleyne that they did for RJ a lot this year where he gets a top of three point line ball screen freeing him up for a 3 attempt dead on. I actually saw him hit a three on that same play in a highlight film. Should also be lethal in transition as a 3 point threat but also going to the basket, especially when paired with some of the other guards we’ll have on the court.

Polley was a good piece for the Huskies for 5 years no doubt. But this kid is just a better basketball player overall, both ends brings more overall game. If this is one of the added answers it’s a solid one.

pj

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm not entirely impressed with this one but if we bring in Castle AND one other stud guard (Ramey) plus Alleyne we will be set. That would give us 7 players for spots 1-4. That's plenty of playing time.

I don't know why you're so greedy. If we bring in Alleyne and Castle the rotation is set and all we'd add would be bench pieces for development or injury protection. It would be Hurley's best lineup ever.

Reaction Score
I don't know why you're so greedy. If we bring in Alleyne and Castle the rotation is set and all we'd add would be bench pieces for development or injury protection. It would be Hurley's best lineup ever.
I think we’d still need one more player. We can’t always be one sprained ankle away from catastrophe. Newton goes down and all we’ve got is a 17 year old pg.

Reaction Score
Between the good vibes on Twitter and the fact that Alleyne scheduled a visit to UConn today after a visit to Florida State, I'm feeling very good about his eventual signing to UConn.

A big part of this is looking at the makeup of Florida State's roster, especially after that just signed Darin Green, who, like Alleyne is 6'4 and an excellent 3P shooter.

It's very true that Hamilton loves deep lineups, in addition to Green, Florida State has two top-30 sophomores (Jalen Warley and Matthew Cleveland) who will take up guard spots along with former Houston stud Caleb Mills. Adding on, two of Hamilton's five-man '22 class will compete for PT too. Lastly, Hamilton's lineups are big: at 6'4 and not playing a PG role, Alleyne's only spot to play at Florida State is the two-guard and as I mentioned already, there's a ton of talent at that spot.

In summary, I'd like to invite Naheim to a cushy opportunity to fit a huge need for our team: between playing at the 2 and 3 guard spots, he'd easily get (if not, very close to) the minutes he received at Virginia Tech, maybe not a starter, per se, but "starter minutes", thus further expanding the versatility of this team.

Reaction Score
I think we’d still need one more player. We can’t always be one sprained ankle away from catastrophe. Newton goes down and all we’ve got is a 17 year old pg.
Absolutely need to bring in someone else. All they need to do is what we hoped diggins would do this year. Play 5-10 min, don't turn the ball over, make free throws.

Reaction Score

This is exactly what I picked up from watching film this morning.

The most noticeable difference is he can pass with purpose. His assist numbers don't jump off the page so he isn't a primary facilitator but he can make a pass within the flow of offense as opposed to just kicking it back out if the open 3 isn't there. I'll also add he appears to be far more aggressive in looking for his shot.

From the game log it looks like he was phased into a smaller role by February as he was asked to take less 3s per game but was consistent 37% from 3 all season. Could just need a fresh start to get back to sophomore year numbers.

I am concerned that VT seems to run a similarly sized lineup as what UConn will show this season and these were the results and that VT fans don't seem upset by the loss in favor of Maddox and they've actually watched the games not just the highlights. But not everyone on the team can be 1st Team All BE and staff has done well with bringing in and developing transfers so they've earned benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
Alleyne would absolutely fill a role in how DH wants to play. He could come in immediately and be a value add. He would be a solid addition and I fully expect a bump in the prestigious Rothstein pre season 45.

Reaction Score
No, he would be draft eligible after his freshman season if he reclasses.
If Castle reclasses then goes one and done I'll be shocked but it would also mean he/we probably had an outstanding season so I can't hate on that notion too much.

I think Castle at a minimum is a 2 year college player with or without a reclass.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what I picked up from watching film this morning.

The most noticeable difference is he can pass with purpose. His assist numbers don't jump off the page so he isn't a primary facilitator but he can make a pass within the flow of offense as opposed to just kicking it back out if the open 3 isn't there. I'll also add he appears to be far more aggressive in looking for his shot.

From the game log it looks like he was phased into a smaller role by February as he was asked to take less 3s per game but was consistent 37% from 3 all season. Could just need a fresh start to get back to sophomore year numbers.

I am concerned that VT seems to run a similarly sized lineup as what UConn will show this season and these were the results and that VT fans don't seem upset by the loss in favor of Maddox and they've actually watched the games not just the highlights. But not everyone on the team can be 1st Team All BE and staff has done well with bringing in and developing transfers so they've earned benefit of the doubt.
His shots attempts per game went down slightly but his minutes still stayed consistent. Here are his stats from February 5th to the end of the season:

3P% went up a little bit and his 2P% was really good too (although limited to only 3 2PA). We don't need him to be a 15PPG guy, we already will have that with Newton/Sanogo and then maybe Hawkins/Jackson. 10-12PPG and a .400 3P% would exactly what we need from him

FromToGGSGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSGmSc
2022-02-052022-03-1814141430.03.17.0.4491.52.8.5381.64.2.3901.11.5.7140.22.22.40.91.00.00.41.59.0

Reaction Score
Solid player with major conference experience that can catch and shoot the three ball.. Way more athleticism than Polley and not a defensive liability. Will facilitate a Castle reclass(if it happens)as a roster fit or provide a valuable piece until Castle hits campus in 23. Could be a strong secondary ballhandler to TN if needed as well.

No matter how you look at it. An upgrade from our departing portal guards based on roster needs. Lets do this

Reaction Score
Nahiem (that’s the spelling) would be a solid addition, Competed against some great talent and has post-season experience. I think from reading a lot of the stuff here, people should know to take what fans say with a giant grain of salt. Nahiem and two more pieces that fit will be a nice start to summer workouts, then finish it out by September.

Reaction Score
His shots attempts per game went down slightly but his minutes still stayed consistent. Here are his stats from February 5th to the end of the season:

3P% went up a little bit and his 2P% was really good too (although limited to only 3 2PA). We don't need him to be a 15PPG guy, we already will have that with Newton/Sanogo and then maybe Hawkins/Jackson. 10-12PPG and a .400 3P% would exactly what we need from him

FromToGGSGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSGmSc
2022-02-052022-03-1814141430.03.17.0.4491.52.8.5381.64.2.3901.11.5.7140.22.22.40.91.00.00.41.59.0
If this kid comes here and averages double figures were either gunna be really really good or really really bad.

I don't think that sort of usage is in the cards unless something really bad happens or we're completely underestimating this kids ability and the staffs view of him.

Reaction Score
While I feel like this kid would be a solid addition, people are acting like adding him and Castle make us a top 10 team. Let's pump the brakes here a bit. This guy is a solid enough player but would not call him a high level transfer. To be as good as most of us want us to be, he's probably a 7th man, not a starter. Would be happy to get him but glad that DH still seems to want to add another guy (Williams) as well.

Reaction Score
While I feel like this kid would be a solid addition, people are acting like adding him and Castle make us a top 10 team. Let's pump the brakes here a bit. This guy is a solid enough player but would not call him a high level transfer. To be as good as most of us want us to be, he's probably a 7th man, not a starter. Would be happy to get him but glad that DH still seems to want to add another guy (Williams) as well.
I’m not sure anyone is claiming top ten. It should easily make UConn top 25 and would also mean Hurley brought in a hell of a lot more talent in the portal than he lost.

Reaction Score
He’s currently class of 2023 and seems content with staying on that path. If we convince a guy of his caliber to reclass only to have him play 10 minutes a game then that’s a bad look IMO.
I've actually heard the complete opposite. Castle is eager to get on campus and is heavily leaning towards reclassifying. He won't only play 10mpg if he does reclass, it will be more in the 25mpg range.

Reaction Score
If we take a solid starter from tournament VTech team and make him our 7th guy, then I call that a win. We don't need him to be a superstar, we already have multiple guys that will fill that role. He's a career 39% 3P% guy with good volume and against ACC competition, he's exactly what we need

Reaction Score
If we had a guy that hit 50% from 3 on 2 attempts a game, we'd want him to start and get more shots, too. Think if Polley had been starting over Giffey.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've actually heard the complete opposite. Castle is eager to get on campus and is heavily leaning towards reclassifying. He won't only play 10mpg if he does reclass, it will be more in the 25mpg range.
I believe you, but I think his expectations for PT as a reclassifying freshman might not be realistic. He'd certainly play more his first season if he stays in HS. But, as others have pointed out, if he comes early, he will be even more ready his second year here and could likely be a break out star.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I’m not sure anyone is claiming top ten. It should easily make UConn top 25 and would also mean Hurley brought in a hell of a lot more talent in the portal than he lost.
We were top 25 last year. We are supposed to improve, not stagnate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom