Music Mount Rushmores by state | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Music Mount Rushmores by state

Reaction Score
Tunnel of Love gets ripped on by some but it's damn good.

While I agree the overall album quality drops some, there are still bunch of really fantastic songs post 1980

Reaction Score
So...I am not interested in going through 9 pages of comments, so forgive me if this has been said. But I don't care who your fourth is.... Sinatra is King of all American music and Springsteen and Whitney aren't far behind. Stick in whoever for fourth, but those 3 are unbeatable. And I am not a New Jersey fan.
Sarah Vaughan fills out that group.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wow. I can see you lifting your shirt dancing to "Tell Her About It."

Trust me, you'd want to bleach your eyes after seeing that.

No, that's not one of the songs of his I care for.

Reaction Score
So...I am not interested in going through 9 pages of comments, so forgive me if this has been said. But I don't care who your fourth is.... Sinatra is King of all American music and Springsteen and Whitney aren't far behind. Stick in whoever for fourth, but those 3 are unbeatable. And I am not a New Jersey fan.
Fourth would be Paul Simon - thats an impressive group with a broad range

Reaction Score
Guess I don't get the hate for Bon Jovi. Not my thing. Bubble Gum Rock. Almost like they were the Four Seasons of their day.

Reaction Score
He was really good in Scrubs.

Steely Dan is good - but Bon Jovi is internationally famous and Steely Dan being a band and not a person was a joke on a national television marketing campaign.
But they were the man

Reaction Score
If Connecticut included NY, NJ MA and eastern PA to more or less equal Texas, we’d kill it.
Wasn’t Tupac originally from Norwalk or at least stayed there for awhile? I knew his cousin and a friend of ours family fostered him in CT for a spell. Oddly. They had a member who is friends with Moby now.

Reaction Score
1. I actually posted in this thread about seeing Nickleback and they stunk.

2. Comparing Nickleback to Billy Joel is absurd.

I love the BY - the nonsensical posturing is amazing.
There's a difference between being "good" artistically and selling tickets. It's why I don't think that Bon Jovi necessarily belongs on any Rushmore.

That said, Billy Joel is much better than Nickelback.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's a difference between being "good" artistically and selling tickets. It's why I don't think that Bon Jovi necessarily belongs on any Rushmore.

That said, Billy Joel is much better than Nickelback.

obviously... arianna grande is popular.

but building a mt rushmore has to include fame -

saying a shady glen cheeseburger should be on the mt rushmore and not the big mac is just listing 4 things you like not building a mt rushmore.

Reaction Score
obviously... arianna grande is popular.

but building a mt rushmore has to include fame -

saying a shady glen cheeseburger should be on the mt rushmore and not the big mac is just listing 4 things you like not building a mt rushmore.
Well...fame necessarily has to be--and should be--a factor. But a Mt. Rushmore ought to be factoring more than fame. It has to factor in innovation and influence. Which means it is also going to be era specific. Ultimately, a Rushmore tells you more about the person building it than it does the people on it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well...fame necessarily has to be--and should be--a factor. But a Mt. Rushmore ought to be factoring more than fame. It has to factor in innovation and influence. Which means it is also going to be era specific. Ultimately, a Rushmore tells you more about the person building it than it does the people on it.

there is no case for southside johnny over bon jovi than i like him better.

Reaction Score
there is no case for southside johnny over bon jovi than i like him better.
I have no flipping idea who "Southside Johnny" is so I'm in no place to argue his case.

There are all sorts of bands that are more listened to now than they were when they first came out, and there are bands that influenced others through their cult status enough that they've become themselves famous. There are too many examples to make any single notation worthwhile.

It's the same with movies. Bon Jovi sucks enough and there are enough other bands at that time doing interesting things at the same time that I have little doubt very few people will care about Mr. Bovine Joni in like 50 years.

You can just look at who were the top sellers at the time current popular bands were playing to see that this is the case.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have no flipping idea who "Southside Johnny" is so I'm in no place to argue his case.

There are all sorts of bands that are more listened to now than they were when they first came out, and there are bands that influenced others through their cult status enough that they've become themselves famous. There are too many examples to make any single notation worthwhile.

It's the same with movies. Bon Jovi sucks enough and there are enough other bands at that time doing interesting things at the same time that I have little doubt very few people will care about Mr. Bovine Joni in like 50 years.

You can just look at who were the top sellers at the time current popular bands were playing to see that this is the case.

Come on - Bon Jovi still has huge anthems that are screamed by hundreds of thousands of people at stadiums year round.

If you wanna say there are four better candidates for New Jersey because they have Bruce, Simon, Sinatra and others that’s fine. But it can’t be because you personally think they ‘suck’.

And of course it’s just the shared experience of the current people currently discussing. 50 years from now who knows if anyone will give a damn about Paul Simon. It’s not like Sinatra is at the height of his popularity.

Reaction Score
Don’t want to start another thread but who’s on your Boy Band Mount Rushmore :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It’s not like Sinatra is at the height of his popularity.
[/QUOTE]

I gotta say, takes like "actually Sinatra is chick feces" are the reason I read the internet.

Thank you @whaler11

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It’s not like Sinatra is at the height of his popularity.

I gotta say, takes like "actually Sinatra is chick feces" are the reason I read the internet.

Thank you @whaler11
[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? I like Sinatra a lot. The people who loved him most are dying quickly.

Time marches on. In 20-30 years there are going to be other huge acts from NJ and Sinatra will be someone most of the people never really listened to.

Reaction Score

Thank you @whaler11

What are you talking about? I like Sinatra a lot. The people who loved him most are dying quickly.

Time marches on. In 20-30 years there are going to be other huge acts from NJ and Sinatra will be someone most of the people never really listened to.
[/QUOTE]

Ok maybe I misunderstood.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom