Music Mount Rushmores by state | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Music Mount Rushmores by state

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
So...I am not interested in going through 9 pages of comments, so forgive me if this has been said. But I don't care who your fourth is.... Sinatra is King of all American music and Springsteen and Whitney aren't far behind. Stick in whoever for fourth, but those 3 are unbeatable. And I am not a New Jersey fan.

Reaction Score
That's like saying the Yankees are the most popular baseball team worldwide but are most popular in NJ and NY.

Springsteen may be one of the most popular artists globally. If he's not someone's cup of tea, it really doesn't bother me one bit, but saying the guy who sells out arenas all over the world is a cult act is kinda bizare.

lol yup, that’s basically exactly what I’m saying.

It’s hard to articulate, I guess. But, I think generally in the Northeast he’s a hometown hero whereas down here he’s just another (very famous) person on the radio. They don’t “get it” to the extent that people who grew up in that 95 coordidor get it.

Reaction Score
So...I am not interested in going through 9 pages of comments, so forgive me if this has been said. But I don't care who your fourth is.... Sinatra is King of all American music and Springsteen and Whitney aren't far behind. Stick in whoever for fourth, but those 3 are unbeatable. And I am not a New Jersey fan.

You don’t need to read all 9 pages; but, maybe scan some of the earlier replies for other possible answers. While Sinatra, Bruce and Whitney are very very good; they are also very beatable.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'downeaster alexa' and 'we didn't start the fire' are my top tracks from the guy who famously once said about his suicide attempt 'I drank the furniture polish. it looked tastier than bleach.' he's in and around here a lot, including a visit to silver hill rehab, and at times docks at Essex in what seems to be a circuit he runs around the eastern sound. always hoped I might see him playing piano at the gris on a lazy summer's day, but so far it hasn't happened. boatpeople say he's a nice guy.

Reaction Score

It’s hard to articulate, I guess. But, I think generally in the Northeast he’s a hometown hero whereas down here he’s just another (very famous) person on the radio. They don’t “get it” to the extent that people who grew up in that 95 coordidor get it.
They don't seem to get a lot of stuff down there though. When driving in that part of the country it seems like the majority of radio is country pop and bible talk radio.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Buddy people were talking up South Side Johnny over Bon Jovi for a NJ mtn.

Read - it’s glorius.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

out west, kali, too. maybe some above average juice around parts of la, but that's it. everywhere else, it seems like he blurs into some sort of franky valli/sopranos thing.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Buddy people were talking up South Side Johnny over Bon Jovi for a NJ mtn.

Read - it’s glorius.
To be fair, much greater emphasis was put on Bon Jovi as 'weak link,' so much so as to call into question New Jersey's initially proposed 'winning' entry when compared with all other states. No need to overreach on what was a weak attempt to find a fourth.

Reaction Score
As for Connecticut, The 5 Satins deserve some recognition. #1 do wap hit of all time, In The Still of The Night. It’s a shame how these guys, still teenagers, got taken to the cleaners by some NYC record company. Made a total of $100, split 5 ways.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'll say this much in relation to Bruce and Billy - if given a choice of attending a concert where each artist would only perform songs written after 1980, I actually think I'd choose Joel.
Wow. I can see you lifting your shirt dancing to "Tell Her About It."

Reaction Score
They don't seem to get a lot of stuff down there though. When driving in that part of the country it seems like the majority of radio is country pop and bible talk radio.

That’s not true in Atlanta (home to some of the most interesting and innovative hip hop artists) and, all around, a mostly cosmopolitan city or Athens which, pound for pound, might have the best alternative rock history of any place

Reaction Score
That’s not true in Atlanta (home to some of the most interesting and innovative hip hop artists) and, all around, a mostly cosmopolitan city or Athens which, pound for pound, might have the best alternative rock history of any place

But yeah the rest of it is a pretty vast wasteland, although you may find some interesting non pop-country or bluegrass (if you’re in the north Georgia mountains) if you go high or low on the dial

Reaction Score
I admittedly don't know Atlanta at all other than stopping at the Varsity on the way to Savannah a few times but the radio seemed pretty bad whenever I was in the South. I love Outkast and Goodie Mob though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And NASCAR

Reaction Score
I admittedly don't know Atlanta at all other than stopping at the Varsity on the way to Savannah a few times but the radio seemed pretty bad whenever I was in the South. I love Outkast and Goodie Mob though.

I’m very sorry that the Varsity and the surrounding area is your only exposure to Atlanta lol

Reaction Score

Bands that have come out of Athens (just off the top of my head):

The B-52’s, REM, Widespread Panic, Neutral Milk Hotel, Of Montreal, Elf Power, Jason Isabell/The Drive By Truckers

All from a relatively small city and definitely some “Rushmore status” bands for indie/alt rock fans.

Also, fun fact, the original recording of Last Kiss (one of the best songs ever imo) was made in the UGA school of music studio in the early 60’s by this man (a legend based on hair alone):
27E91F84-D456-4A0D-8EA3-FBF70DFBA1EE.jpeg

Reaction Score
Conley's undergrad alma mater. '77?

Mission of Burma was ahead of my time in Boston (mid to late 80s). They had already broken up by then--but I did get to see bands like the Pixies, Blake Babies and Throwing Muses play in front of basically empty bar rooms.

It wasn't until the 2000s that I got to see bands like Mission of Burma. They sounded better in their 50s than they did on their live LPs. Which is a lot more than I can say for another favorite band of mine, the Buzzcocks. They sounded absolutely awful when I saw them in 2003.

Reaction Score
We have a middle aged white journalist implying Bruce over Prince and Dylan. Shocker
If it makes you feel any better, I am a white middle aged man and I think they all suck!!!!!

Reaction Score
Seems like almost everyone who reaches an epic status. They seem to lose the hunger at some point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom