Music Mount Rushmores by state | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Music Mount Rushmores by state

Reaction Score
Alabama??? Hank Williams-could declare them the winner based on that.
Lionel Ritchie
Eddie Kendricks
Percy Sledge
Sun Ra
Nat King Cole
Odetta
Big Mama Thornton
Wilson Pickett
Gucci Mane
W C Handy
Martha Reeves
Solid group.

Yet not Alabama or Skynard

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah Billy Joel stinks - he just sells out the Garden at huge prices anytime he wants to take a chopper into the city.

Anyone who has been to one of those shows and didn’t have a great time has something very wrong with them.
Greatness and "pleases one's fans" are not synonymous.

On short notice and for free, I was invited to join a friend to see Billy Joel in excellent seats at Jones Beach, mid-90s. The basically hometown crowd loved him, and he put on a fully invested and very well-performed show. That much was easy to see, and I felt great for the crowd,but it did nothing to alter my overall impression of him as a capable, mainstream, regionally-identifying favorite with great appeal to a certain middle class everyman & woman. That's no faint praise, just nowhere near my passions, and certainly notworthy of a Mt. Rushmore placement.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Jeff Porcaro was from South Windsor. He was in Toto. Apparently is in the drummers HOF. Big time session guy. RIP
Wethersfield, I thought. Anyway, I caught Toto a few years back. Jeff's brother Steve was/is the keyboard player and made it a point to say he was from Connecticut and was proud to be from Connecticut.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Another one tha annoys me.

Dear lord that writer is so obnoxious. And I love that the elitist snob had to admit in his piece that he screwed up a line from "Eleanor Rigby" at the bottom of the piece (nobody buys that it was an "Editorial error").

Reaction Score

On short notice and for free, I was invited to join a friend to see Billy Joel in excellent seats at Jones Beach, mid-90s. The basically hometown crowd loved him, and he put on a fully invested and very well-performed show. That much was easy to see, and I felt great for the crowd,but it did nothing to alter my overall impression of him as a capable, mainstream, regionally-identifying favorite with great appeal to a certain middle class everyman & woman. That's no faint praise, just nowhere near my passions, and certainly notworthy of a Mt. Rushmore placement.
You've seen some of the names listed in this thread and you're going to take umbrage with Billy Joel being on any Mount Rushmore lists? It's not a regional or middle class everyman appeal with him, the guy is a huge superstar everywhere and has been cranking out top 10 hits for over 40 years. He's played at Wrigley a bunch of times and it's always a huge event. His appeal is broad.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You've seen some of the names listed in this thread and you're going to take umbrage with Billy Joel being on any Mount Rushmore lists? It's not a regional or middle class everyman appeal with him, the guy is a huge superstar everywhere and has been cranking out top 10 hits for over 40 years. He's played at Wrigley a bunch of times and it's always a huge event. His appeal is broad.

He puts me in "White Person Hell" to borrow your absurd phrase from another thread. Its almost like you have never listen to music.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

thats not how it works. it’s like me saying take Ray Allen off the UConn Mt Rushmore because I like Johnny Selvie better.

the guy sold 150 million records. not considering commercial success in a music mt rushmore is absurd.

i’m sure you love all the appropriate acts for internet music snobs. i’m sure that the Stone Roses are ‘better’ than Def Leppard. One of them has a bunch of platnium records and can still sell out areas 3 decades after they best work. the other one has people attempt to signal their coolness on the internet.

Reaction Score
Dear lord that writer is so obnoxious. And I love that the elitist snob had to admit in his piece that he screwed up a line from "Eleanor Rigby" at the bottom of the piece (nobody buys that it was an "Editorial error").
I'm not even a major fan of his music but anyone who writes an article like that is a moron.

Reaction Score
He puts me in "White Person Hell" to borrow your absurd phrase from another thread. Its almost like you have never listen to music.
These are my favorite boneyard posts. You get called out for writing a ridiculous post about football players being scared to play for Edsall because his strength training program is too intense and then hunt down the poster so you can further embarrass yourself. Well done.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
These are my favorite boneyard posts. You get called out for writing a ridiculous post about football players being scared to play for Edsall because his strength training program is too intense and then hunt down the poster so you can further embarrass yourself. Well done.
I had to do it at least once. Especially since you have a lot of bad takes yourself. TTFN. No plans to hijack this thread. See ya.

Reaction Score
Certain groups and acts I never "got". Billy Joel was one of them. Great thing about music is there is so much out there for everyone. It either moves you or it doesn't. My wife used to love Bon Jovi....not my thing. I don't hate on what I don't get. Everyone hates ABBA, yet somehow they have managed to sell hundreds of million s of album's and singles. Never enjoyed them either. Just sayin.....

Reaction Score
Not sure if you would agree, but selling a lot of records does not automatically = good music or mean you are the most talented as a musician. There is a lot of garbage being produced in the mainstream these days. The masses collectively liking something, often, does not mean much in terms of the music actually being quality/good. And I am not talking about someone like Bon Jovi like many have in this thread, but generally speaking.

Sure, chart topping records in the 60s and 70s (and before that era) also tended, most often, to be very good music too. Less so in the 80s and with each passing decade IMO.

There are tons of brilliant musicians who never get the recognition they deserve and that doesn't make them bad or not as good, especially musically (talented) speaking, as chart topping artists who fill stadiums. Some amazing musicians even shy away from the (mainstream) spot light but are incredibly talented.

As an interesting side note, Billy Joel shot a few videos in Connecticut, one of which includes a scene in my friends back yard along a river! "Movin' out", Captain Jack and Big shot will forever be my three favorite songs from him however.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
thats not how it works. it’s like me saying take Ray Allen off the UConn Mt Rushmore because I like Johnny Selvie better.

the guy sold 150 million records. not considering commercial success in a music mt rushmore is absurd.

i’m sure you love all the appropriate acts for internet music snobs. i’m sure that the Stone Roses are ‘better’ than Def Leppard. One of them has a bunch of platnium records and can still sell out areas 3 decades after they best work. the other one has people attempt to signal their coolness on the internet.
Is your hamburger Mt Rushmore McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, and Hardee's?

Is your pizza Mt. Rushmore Domino's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, and Little Caesar's?

Of course not.

Billy Joel and Def Leppard are better than the aforementioned food purveyors but both top out well before the status you'd accord them.

And I did say the Jones Beach show was solid, just not my taste. Kind of like how at the same venue, I liked Dylan way more than Paul Simon in their double bill, but knew that mine was the minority opinion.

And I liked Elvis Costello both times the most.

Btw, Stones Roses is a sold choice. Limited career success, but a masterful lead recording.

For the record, and to be fair, my most preferred regional hero ends up being peak Mellencamp, ultimately preferred over Joel, Springsteen, Petty, Seger, and the many others I'm forgetting or omitting. It's a valid subgenre, and they create great pleasure for their many fans, but it's not mere snobbishness for me to genuinely like many artists much more.

There's lots of areas where I'd easily concede you know much more than I. This isn't one of them.

Finally, I might have quoted @superjohn's rebuttal instead of yours. Here, he's less right than you are, easily so, and again I write this without my needing to criticize Billy Joel per se.

Reaction Score
The great state for North Carolina brings you

John Coltrane
Thelonious Monk
Earl Scruggs
Doc Watson

No need to even look at modern/pop music when you have heavyweights like this.
You do a disservice to Fred Durst and Petey Pablo my friend.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I never got that whole, I don’t personally like their music so they aren’t very good arguement. I don’t happen to like the Beatles, but I’m sure that doesn’t mean a damn thing.

As for NY, I lived in Long Beach for a few years and this incredible band would come through every now and again. The RBCs or (Roast Beef Curtains). Actually the band stunk, but an all timer in the name department.

Reaction Score
Gotta rep WA State:

Jimi Hendrix
Bing Crosby
Kenny Loggins
Quincy Jones
Kenny G
Heart (Ann and Nancy Wilson)
Grunge bands (Nivana - Cobain, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam - Vedder, Alice in Chains - Staley, Soundgarden - Cornell)
Alt Rock (Modest Mouse, ODESZA, Death Cab for Cutie)
Eddie Vedder is from Chicagoland as is Billy Corgan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Is your pizza Mt. Rushmore Domino's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, and Little Caesar's?

Of course not.

Billy Joel and Def Leppard are better than the aforementioned food purveyors but both top out well before the status you'd accord them.

And I did say the Jones Beach show was solid, just not my taste. Kind of like how at the same venue, I liked Dylan way more than Paul Simon in their double bill, but knew that mine was the minority opinion.

Btw, Stones Roses is a sold choice. Limited career success, but a masterful lead recording.

For the record, and to be fair, my most preferred regional hero ends up being peak Mellencamp, ultimately preferred over Joel, Springsteen, Petty, Seger, and the many others I'm forgetting or omitting. It's a valid subgenre, and they create great pleasure for their many fans, but it's not mere snobbishness for me to genuinely like many artists much more.

There's lots of areas where I'd easily concede you know much more than I. This isn't one of them.

Finally, I might have quoted @superjohn's rebuttal instead of yours. Here, he's less right than you are, easily so, and again I write this without my needing to criticize Billy Joel per se.

That essentially is the hamburger mt rushmore... well not hardee’s they blow.

i’m not talking about what is better. I’m talking about what is. Musical mt rushmores that don’t consider commercial success are just you listing four things you like.

The less you know about a subject improves your opinion on mt rushmore. if one is trying to say southside johnny would be on over bon jovi you arent making a mt rushmore - one is just being obtuse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Of course not.

The Stone Roses had a great debut album.

Regional heroes? Sure, Springsteen and Petty are regional heroes if the region is the entire world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom