Music Mount Rushmores by state | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Music Mount Rushmores by state

Reaction Score
The Stone Roses had a great debut album.

Regional heroes? Sure, Springsteen and Petty are regional heroes if the region is the entire world.

You’d be surprised.

Obviously people here in Atlanta know Bruce, but he’s definitely not as big of a deal as he is in the Baltimore-Boston corridor.

Reaction Score
Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth are long time CT natives. To bring my posts full circle, I believe their son was in the same graduating class as Chris Webby. Still waiting on the Webby/Talking Heads collab.

Reaction Score
You’d be surprised.

Obviously people here in Atlanta know Bruce, but he’s definitely not as big of a deal as he is in the Baltimore-Boston corridor.
He's huge out here and everywhere else I've ever been. The guy is probably the biggest live performer in the world and is worth more than half a billion dollars.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth are long time CT natives. To bring my posts full circle, I believe their son was in the same graduating class as Chris Webby. Still waiting on the Webby/Talking Heads collab.
Webby/Tom Tom Club please.

Reaction Score
He's huge out here and everywhere else I've ever been. The guy is probably the biggest live performer in the world and is worth more than half a billion dollars.

Yeah I’m not saying he’s not lol.

I guess I was just trying to say, it’s not the same.

Reaction Score
You’d be surprised.

He is what I consider a cult band. There are certain bands that have a certain segment of the population that follow them like a cult. I would put The Grateful Dead and Dave Mathews in that category also.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah I’m not saying he’s not lol.

I guess I was just trying to say, it’s not the same.

That's like saying the Yankees are the most popular baseball team worldwide but are most popular in NJ and NY.

He is what I consider a cult band. There are certain bands that have a certain segment of the population that follow them like a cult. I would put The Grateful Dead and Dave Mathews in that category also.

Springsteen may be one of the most popular artists globally. If he's not someone's cup of tea, it really doesn't bother me one bit, but saying the guy who sells out arenas all over the world is a cult act is kinda bizare.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I forgot Freddie Paris and the 5 Satins and Big Bill Anderson of NRBQ.
I didn't want to be the guy to bring up Fred, but any list of CT's most impactful musical artists that doesn't include Fred Parris is just wrong, and is being compiled by people with no sense of history. Fred wrote and performed a song that is as close to defining the music of a generation as any song ever has been. At last count, it had sold over 15 million records, has made the pop charts top 100 on three different occasions (the same recording, not different versions) has seen cover records released by more than 50 different artists and is as associated with New Haven as Pepe's or Modern.

Reaction Score
Don't you have some Rochester in your academic career? That's where I first know Clint from.

Yes, I was at U. of R. for 7-8 years.

Rochester has a great music scene, mainly because of Eastman.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I never got that whole, I don’t personally like their music so they aren’t very good arguement. I don’t happen to like the Beatles, but I’m sure that doesn’t mean a damn thing.

As for NY, I lived in Long Beach for a few years and this incredible band would come through every now and again. The RBCs or (Roast Beef Curtains). Actually the band stunk, but an all timer in the name department.

Phil Hartman's character in "Greedy" didn't like the Beatles either.

Reaction Score
That's like saying the Yankees are the most popular baseball team worldwide but are most popular in NJ and NY.

Springsteen may be one of the most popular artists globally. If he's not someone's cup of tea, it really doesn't bother me one bit, but saying the guy who sells out arenas all over the world is a cult act is kinda bizare.
I understand but even most Springsteen fans will admit his singing voice is horrible. I heard one theory that people were attracted to the uniqueness of the saxophone sound in rock music. So in theory Clarence Clemons made him.

Reaction Score
I didn't want to be the guy to bring up Fred, but any list of CT's most impactful musical artists that doesn't include Fred Parris is just wrong, and is being compiled by people with no sense of history. Fred wrote and performed a song that is as close to defining the music of a generation as any song ever has been. At last count, it had sold over 15 million records, has made the pop charts top 100 on three different occasions (the same recording, not different versions) has seen cover records released by more than 50 different artists and is as associated with New Haven as Pepe's or Modern.
I always thought it was Al Anderson.

Reaction Score
Obviously, that's where he's from.
Yeah, right ahead of the doors, The Doobie Bros, and The Dead, and The Jefferson Airplane. pretty simple point. Picking a cult/club favorite for Mt Rushmore? Not in my opinion.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

In which case I'll throw in the Chambers Brothers. I used to bump into them often at a small grocery store off Long Ridge Rd in Stamford. Usually high as kites. They lived nearby.

And while we're at it, Neal Smith and Dennis Dunaway of Alice Cooper's original band. Dennis actually ran a video store in Glenbrook. Neal used to drive around Greenwich and Stamford in his Rolls Royce.

Reaction Score

Devland is a one man wrecking crew of dreadful takes in this thread. He even posted that moronic Billy Joel article.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think this one is based on where people were born. If you want to actually picture a Mt Rushmore type image, consider Mississippi w/Elvis, BB King, Sam Cooke, and Muddy Waters...and that omits Howlin Wolf, Robert Johnson, Jimmie Rodgers, and Bo Diddley. Of course, nobody stays in MS, which is usually reduced to bragging, "We're #48" when they move up in various rankings.

For actual listening enjoyment, I could be happy with Minnesota's Dylan, Prince, Mould, and, Westerberg, especially if Dylan covers were included.

I’d put Jimmy Buffet on there. Very strong.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I understand but even most Springsteen fans will admit his singing voice is horrible. I heard one theory that people were attracted to the uniqueness of the saxophone sound in rock music. So in theory Clarence Clemons made him.

That has to be a troll. Everyone loves Clemons, but to claim he 'made' Springsteen?

Here's my theory, Springsteen 'made' Clarence Clemons.

Reaction Score
That has to be a troll. Everyone loves Clemons, but to claim he 'made' Springsteen?

Here's my theory, Springsteen 'made' Clarence Clemons.
I guess you're a member of his cult?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I guess you're a member of his cult?

I'll say this much in relation to Bruce and Billy - if given a choice of attending a concert where each artist would only perform songs written after 1980, I actually think I'd choose Joel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom