Montez Mathis | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Montez Mathis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Russ Woods of Rivals on TOS (not behind a paywall so I feel OK posting the direct quote):

"Have been told that mom wants Rutgers. AAU (an Adidas sponsored program) wants UConn (a Nike sponsored program). Kid is torn."
Weird you would think parents would fall in love with KO.

Reaction Score
Like the recent recruits parents ??
Thing is I think there are a lot of players out there who are as good or if not better, Lot of these guys are worried of getting recruited over.

Reaction Score
From Russ Woods of Rivals on TOS (not behind a paywall so I feel OK posting the direct quote):

"Have been told that mom wants Rutgers. AAU (an Adidas sponsored program) wants UConn (a Nike sponsored program). Kid is torn."
I can't imagine the aau team beating out mama's wishes. What does he want is the question. This was the same scenario with Sid. His coaches loved UCONN and the family loved st johns, we know how that turned out

Reaction Score
And an Adidas sponsored aau team is pushing for a Nike school over Adidas????

I was wondering the same thing and the response was:

"Been wondering the same thing, but that is what I'm told.

Rutgers just switched to Adidas on July 1 so maybe Team BBC doesn't know or maybe they're just attempting to steer the kid towards the better basketball brand...or maybe it's both."

Reaction Score
Seems fairly obvious. He wants UConn, Mom wants Rutgers.

I know everyone's Family dynamic is different, but these parents choosing their kids school for them REALLY bothers me. I would tell my kid what school I would prefer, but it wouldn't go any further than that. I would feel like such a loser making my kid go to the school of my choice, when he wants to go elsewhere. Especially when his choice isn't a bad one. My son is only 9 and it's gonna kill me if be goes away, but it's his life. My wife has to live with it also.

Reaction Score
I know everyone's Family dynamic is different, but these parents choosing their kids school for them REALLY bothers me. I would tell my kid what school I would prefer, but it wouldn't go any further than that. I would feel like such a loser making my kid go to the school of my choice, when he wants to go elsewhere. Especially when his choice isn't a bad one. My son is only 9 and it's gonna kill me if be goes away, but it's his life. My wife has to live with it also.

What do you think is more feasible, that the kid respects his mother enough to place considerable stock in her opinion, or that he's being held hostage by her demands? From everything I've read, this process sounds like a fairly healthy one. To take anything else away from it is just blind projection in my estimation.

Reaction Score
I've never understood the shoe company thing. What does listening to the shoe companies do for you? Especially as a 75+ recruit. It's my understanding that every NBA player gets a deal of some sort and the player ends up making the decision, not the company. The offers will vary, but is it really going to matter if you wore Nike shoes in college? Are you "building a relationship" at the college? Seems crazy to me. I'd imagine your draft slot and notoriety will have infinitely more impact than any relationship built by wearing a certain shoe in college.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'm thinking we get a commit today, the twitter behavior says more than the crystal balls.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I've never understood the shoe company thing. What does listening to the shoe companies do for you? Especially as a 75+ recruit. It's my understanding that every NBA player gets a deal of some sort and the player ends up making the decision, not the company. The offers will vary, but is it really going to matter if you wore Nike shoes in college? Are you "building a relationship" at the college? Seems crazy to me. I'd imagine your draft slot and notoriety will have infinitely more impact than any relationship built by wearing a certain shoe in college.

It's more about what listening to your coach will do for you.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm thinking we get a commit today, the twitter behavior says more than the crystal balls.

Until he signs, a commitment is little more than a hopeful sign. Can he sign right away?

Reaction Score
If a kid near bottom of top 100 doesn't value UConn 10 times more than that garbage at RU you move on.

Reaction Score
Seems like a logical, well-educated response. Unfortunately, many recruits aren't given similar support.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well yeah, unless the kid is choosing Rutgers then I'd be like WTF dude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom