Montez Mathis | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Montez Mathis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If a kid near bottom of top 100 doesn't value UConn 10 times more than that garbage at RU you move on.
Yea because our 2017 class was flush with top 100 recruits.

Reaction Score
What happened last night ? 247 crystal ball now has everybody picking Rutgers. Not feeling confident at this point.

pj

Reaction Score
What happened last night ? 247 crystal ball now has everybody picking Rutgers. Not feeling confident at this point.

Not everyone. 15 Rutgers, 7 UConn. It's true that all the recent picks are for Rutgers. Hopefully it's just misdirection to create more drama.

Reaction Score
Not everyone. 15 Rutgers, 7 UConn. It's true that all the recent picks are for Rutgers. Hopefully it's just misdirection to create more drama.

No there is alot of RU pressure

Reaction Score
No there is alot of RU pressure
Pressure from who?..........his mom bought "really care about your son" BS thrown at her on a daily basis by Pikiell and KO is losing another one to a lesser program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i'd like to think positively, but recent history suggests we miss out on another important recruit.

I understand the allure of playing in the BIG, but you're not playing for Michigan, or Indiana, or Wisconsin, Illinois....

It's Rutgers. They've literally never been good at basketball. They're so pathetic they lied about the program's accomplishments.

We need closers on this staff in a bad way.

Reaction Score
Pressure from who?.....his mommy bought "really care about your son" BS thrown at her on a daily basis by Pikiell and KO is losing another one to a lesser program.

Ru is all over this kid. Even the water boy is calling. He is RU top of the board

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It seems like every recruit we've been close with in the past 6 months has suddenly had a change of heart and gone elsewhere. Hard to be confident in this one.

Reaction Score
The Russ Woods quote is likely incorrect. Mom and the Adidas AAU coach would be pushing hard for Rutgers. Sometimes the AAU shoe and apparel deals sway a kid as they have been showered/brainwashed with free stuff for years. Seems that some in the Mathis camp including Mathis are UConn leans.

Quote from Mathis in a 7/31 article says that mom, dad, brother and AAU coach need to sit down and get on the same page. They are obviously not there yet.

The calls from Pikiell to Mathis' mom kind of creep me out, but I guess that is recruiting today. If I were a coach I wouldn't want a kid who wants to go elsewhere, but parent and coach pressure makes him commit.

Reaction Score
Ru is all over this kid. Even the water boy is calling. He is RU top of the board
So he's not UConn's "top of the board"..........if Carey is our realistic "top of the board" we better not whiff on him if we're going to lose on Mathis.

We still shouldn't lose any recruit high on our board to the likes of RU.....would be a new low.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
The longer this goes on the less confident I feel. I feel the same way I did about Sid. He seems to want to come to UConn but parents have different preference for whatever reason. So he's not announcing today. Any idea when he will announce? No one has any clue at this point so...

Reaction Score
Quote from Mathis in a 7/31 article says that mom, dad, brother and AAU coach need to sit down and get on the same page. They are obviously not there yet.
Mom, dad, brother, and AAU coach won't be going to school at either of these places. Maybe they should let the kid make a decision for himself considering it's HIS future.

Reaction Score
I propose a new NCAA receuting rule: no contact shall be allowed between coaches and family.

Reaction Score
I saw he tweeted that he wont be deciding now, taking some more time to consider.

Everyone go tweet respectful, kind, nice thoughtful words about how he should take his time but go with UConn!!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
When the dust settles, wherever he goes, the first year is just a test run anyhow. Have you seen the transfer list today vs 5 or 10 yrs ago? All you need is a bad record, less playing time than expected, or even a few negative tweets, and their off to new a new school anyhow. Times have changed.

pj

Reaction Score
Mathis is a top priority for us along with Carey, but the difference is, he's the only top 150 recruit Rutgers has a serious chance with. He single-handedly makes or breaks Rutgers' recruiting year. Of course they'll throw the kitchen sink at him. We need to close. For us Mathis would turn the page on 2016-17 and would herald the beginning of a great class.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

These kids are weird if that works. I'd find it annoying as hell.

Reaction Score
When the dust settles, wherever he goes, the first year is just a test run anyhow. Have you seen the transfer list today vs 5 or 10 yrs ago? All you need is a bad record, less playing time than expected, or even a few negative tweets, and their off to new a new school anyhow. Times have changed.

This is a very good point. I may be overly paranoid because of this past year, but this situation has me uneasy even if he picks UConn. Seems like a perfect situation for a kid to constantly be thinking transfer if anything goes wrong. A lot can go wrong for any recruit at any college (injury, trouble adjusting to college, homesickness, etc.), but this situation already has the red flags of internal conflict (which, then, keeps transferring at the forefront)

Reaction Score
Montez Mathis.JPG

#Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members