Montez Mathis | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Montez Mathis

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
We are at that time were a "P5" school like Rutgers is more important than a 4 time National Champion in the eyes of recruits. Playing B1G vs play AAC is a much bigger stage even if at Rutgers. We are also not competing with coaches like they have had in the past who have no idea what they are doing. It is a different world then even a year ago and competition is that much harder until AAC basketball schools get it and devote some serious time into basketball resources, scheduling, recruiting... we are going to live this scenario over and over.

Reaction Score
What happened last night at 7:30 pm for RU to get all the Crystal Balls.....did the kid crap red and post it on instagram.

red.png

Reaction Score
Now that we got Randy Edsall back, who really cares about this basketball shmasketball business? In 2 years time, we'll matter in the sport that actually matters. Future is bright.

Reaction Score
When the dust settles, wherever he goes, the first year is just a test run anyhow. Have you seen the transfer list today vs 5 or 10 yrs ago? All you need is a bad record, less playing time than expected, or even a few negative tweets, and their off to new a new school anyhow. Times have changed.
A commitment really isn't a commitment anymore. RU has another season as the B1G punching bag, KO starts to turn things around this season, it would be far from unexpected for him to re-open his recruitment.

Reaction Score
The fact that you haven't already started ignoring them worries me. It's COMPLETE garbage. They know as much as you and I. Nothing.

This. Even on the Rutgers board, someone posted that Rutgers had a 100% crystal ball prediction for a recruit who ended up choosing Georgia Tech. One "expert" makes a pick via hearsay and then the rest of them jump on board like lemmings off a cliff.

Reaction Score
I saw he tweeted that he wont be deciding now, taking some more time to consider.

Everyone go tweet respectful, kind, nice thoughtful words about how he should take his time but go with UConn!!

Enough time for another school to swoop in so mom and Montez can agree to go somewhere else.

Montez leans to commit to UConn based on social activity. The Cam Reddish top 5 also may have been a factor as he saw that a top 10 guy still sees UConn as a top choice. Chill and Ollie have some work to do, but I would rather be in UConn's position than Rutgers'. If mom and AAU coach were going to get their way it would have been sooner rather than later.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are you 17 years old. Ego is very different at that age

I once was. Would have hated it. I like to make my own decisions and react negatively to any attempts to "sell me". Always have.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Usually you have one top of tbe board...MM is up there but not top

I'd argue he is the top, because anytime you have a two dog race for a top100 kid, & your the superior school you need to win.

Nobody's scared of who we view as our top anymore. Carey has lots of suitors.

Reaction Score
I'd argue he is the top, because anytime you have a two dog race for a top100 kid, & your the superior school you need to win.

Nobody's scared of who we view as our top anymore. Carey has lots of suitors.
This isnt true or realistic

pj

Reaction Score
Carey is obviously #1. I don't think Mathis is even #2. Maybe 4th on our board behind Reddish and Carrigan? Yes/No?

I would think Mathis is top two. He's certainly our top shooting guard candidate. Carey is #1 at point guard then Akinjo. We need a small forward and there we are recruiting Reddish, Mucius, Nolley, etc but don't lead for any candidate as good as Mathis. I would think a three guard lineup with Alterique, Carey, Mathis, and Vital sharing the minutes of 3 spots in 2018-19 looks like a perimeter we would love to have and can feasibly recruit.

Carrigan would be nice but we are well stocked with big men. He is certainly not as important as Mathis.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Do people really get swayed by phone calls? There is no way anyone in MM's inner circle thinks Rutgers is a better basketball school than UConn. So lets get that out of the way right now.
What can be swaying the decision? Playing time? MM would be behind a Jr Vital at the 2 and depending on who else commits could be 4th guard. At Rutgers he's the man from day 1. The other issue is conference. BIG or AAC. AAC got better with Witchita St. but still not BIG. However - theres a choice. Would you rather go consistently lose at Rutgers or be involved in a proven winner at UConn (regardless of the last few yrs) He even has said himself that without the injuries last yr UConn would have been good. I agree. I don't see this as an advantage. What good is conference if you're consistently getting pummeled every night? He'd never see an NCAA tournament. He'd never see the weekend of a conference tournament.

So to recap - the only reasons he'd go to Rutgers is for playing time/being the man and his mom is "close" with SP. (Lets see how close they remain once he commits there or elsewhere...my guess is the calls would stop pretty quickly.

If he has that mindset, then I don't think he's the type of guy we want. I would understand choosing a team with less reputation in a better conference if they at least have a shot. Rutgers is trash.

Reaction Score
Do people really get swayed by phone calls? There is no way anyone in MM's inner circle thinks Rutgers is a better basketball school than UConn. So lets get that out of the way right now.
What can be swaying the decision? Playing time? MM would be behind a Jr Vital at the 2 and depending on who else commits could be 4th guard. At Rutgers he's the man from day 1. The other issue is conference. BIG or AAC. AAC got better with Witchita St. but still not BIG. However - theres a choice. Would you rather go consistently lose at Rutgers or be involved in a proven winner at UConn (regardless of the last few yrs) He even has said himself that without the injuries last yr UConn would have been good. I agree. I don't see this as an advantage. What good is conference if you're consistently getting pummeled every night? He'd never see an NCAA tournament. He'd never see the weekend of a conference tournament.

So to recap - the only reasons he'd go to Rutgers is for playing time/being the man and his mom is "close" with SP. (Lets see how close they remain once he commits there or elsewhere...my guess is the calls would stop pretty quickly.

If he has that mindset, then I don't think he's the type of guy we want. I would understand choosing a team with less reputation in a better conference if they at least have a shot. Rutgers is trash.

This is crazy on-point. Couldn't agree more.

Reaction Score
Carey turning into a long shot. Schools like ku and others are calling.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Carey turning into a long shot. Schools like ku and others are calling.

Schools 'like ku' have always been calling.

Reaction Score
I know everyone's Family dynamic is different, but these parents choosing their kids school for them REALLY bothers me. I would tell my kid what school I would prefer, but it wouldn't go any further than that. I would feel like such a loser making my kid go to the school of my choice, when he wants to go elsewhere. Especially when his choice isn't a bad one. My son is only 9 and it's gonna kill me if be goes away, but it's his life. My wife has to live with it also.

You're right that the family situation might be totally different. Different socioeconomic backgrounds, different neighborhoods, different prospects and levels of security. Do I think she is making the wrong decision? Of course. But sometimes giving a kid the choice is a luxury some parents can't afford.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So being the better basketball school matters to Carey but not Mathis.....or Wilson....or italian guard....

If people are worried about this coming season, wait until Adams and Larrier leave after this season. If we don't pull in a good recruiting class, we will be Gilbert, Vital and ...crickets in 2018. Maybe Carlton, Diarra and Polley develop into decent players but that is far from a foregone conclusion. The guy with fancy dunks won't save the ship from sinking. Even if Uconn has an unexpected great season this year, it may be too late in the 2018 recruiting cycle for them to benefit from it.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Now that we got Randy Edsall back, who really cares about this basketball shmasketball business? In 2 years time, we'll matter in the sport that actually matters. Future is bright.
Signed in just to laugh at this.

Reaction Score
We are at that time were a "P5" school like Rutgers is more important than a 4 time National Champion in the eyes of recruits. Playing B1G vs play AAC is a much bigger stage even if at Rutgers.

Not really, not if you're Rutgers.

Look at the OOC. Arizona, Villanova, etc. Nike Tournament.
Then UConn is on CBS, ESPN, ESPN2 a bunch of times.

The level of exposure is night and day between UConn and Rutgers, and UConn is well ahead in terms of marquee games.

Reaction Score
Does Rutgers still play at the RAC? That place isn't exactly a palace to put it nicely.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I understand it's frustrating that we are battling with a school with the basketball pedigree of Rutgers, but others have explained just why there has been such a fight. They are all over this kid. Calling him, texting him, his mom, his his dad, his coaches every day. This is the closest they'll come to getting a Top 100 recruit. They stuck their claim with this kid and they're riding with him. This is their one recruit they can get in their eyes.

Of course this kid is a high priority recruit for the Huskies. Why would he not be and they still put in the time and effort to recruit him to the point they are 1 of 2 schools? Just think about it before you ask these questions.

The crystal balls are predictions. Some people make those choices based off of what others are choosing. You pick Rutgers, you get points. The CRystal Balls are a glorified game, if we're being honest, and we've seen them be wrong quite often before this. I wouldn't put much stock into them since whatever Slater and Meyer pick is usually the choice of most others.

Look, MM can still pick Rutgers, but 1) Rutgers is putting in an absolute direct focus on the kid, 100% of their attention now on him and has been on him for the most part the past 6 months. 2) UConn is still very close and MM obviously likes the school. 3) CB don't mean .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom