Montez Mathis | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Montez Mathis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Kids go away for 4 years to schools half way across the country.

You're saying kids don't want to visit the cities they associate with their favorite franchises in sports? Who wants to go to Wisconsin, Omaha, and all that noise?

Reaction Score
You have it exactly wrong.

The only reason Rutgers is lined up opposite UConn on this one is because of the conference. They are not even in a conversation involving UConn if they didn't have the boost from their conference affiliation relative to ours.

Kids don't give a crap about out of conference schedules. What does Montez Mathis care about UConn playing in the PK80? Nothing.

Agreed. The conference (and family, I'm sure) played a key role in getting Wilson to St. Johns, as well. MAL to Providence? The Friars placement in The Big East didn't hurt.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The conference (and family, I'm sure) played a key role in getting Wilson to St. Johns, as well. MAL to Providence? The Friars placement in The Big East didn't hurt.

Everyone's gotta eat. I'm not missing Wilson, who had an ACC offer as well if I'm not mistaken.

I'm more concerned with the kids who want to be here.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
So he isn't deciding today anymore? That can't be good news for us.

Reaction Score
Yes yes, the AAC really hurt us bad in our recruiting battle with Cinnci over the other Diarra...

BUConn10

Reaction Score
99.9% of kids don't automatically want to be at UConn. So how do you convince those to go to UConn?
By being a relevant and ranked team year in and year out while getting players drafted in the first round consistently. Then they will come to play for you even if you are in Nebraska.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score

i would love to know what in him not deciding today leads you to believe it's bad news for us.

Reaction Score
i would love to know what in him not deciding today leads you to believe it's bad news for us.

With the sudden surge of crystal balls to Rutgers and considering that they were neck and neck with us or as some said we had a 50/50 shot, I don't consider this bad news at all. Hopefully with a little extra time, logic will prevail and he will commit to the good guys.

Reaction Score
Sounds like we will have time to get back above Rutgers. If we lose a recruit to Rutgers that be tough.

Reaction Score
All depends how you view the information that's come out. If what's been reported is true and he wants UConn and parents want Rutgers I'd think that's good news he's holding off. Then again it's just as easy to make the argument more time makes it more likely his parents change his mind than the other way around

Reaction Score
I am impressed.

With absolutely no actual insight save the odd quote from a recruiting article, we've built an entire narrative around this kid's recruitment.

Spoilers...the narrative is probably crap.

The 'narrative' has little to do with this recruitment. If anything, it's a matter of people forecasting rain after 40 consecutive days of rain, especially when yesterday's recruitment rings to an eerie beat that could be prophetic of tomorrow's.

Notes are taken on the ground, but pictures are sometimes snapped from a blimp. Regardless of how this one plays out, there are precious acres of job security at stake here, and if nobody can predict the result then it's still worth parsing the info that is available.

Reaction Score
All depends how you view the information that's come out. If what's been reported is true and he wants UConn and parents want Rutgers I'd think that's good news he's holding off. Then again it's just as easy to make the argument more time makes it more likely his parents change his mind than the other way around

This is the way it went in my head, which is not a good source:

Kid wakes up pumped to announce he's going to UConn. He follows every player from 1965 to now.

Family is resistant and asks him to postpone the announcement. He sighs and agrees out of respect, giving them plenty of time to cue up the Rutgers pep band.

Ollie is in the background with the NLOI (and I know they can't sign them yet, but he brings one anyways) already in his hands, shrieking in horror.

Every hour that passes proceeds to be a bad hour for us.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The conference (and family, I'm sure) played a key role in getting Wilson to St. Johns, as well.
What? We family and we didn't get Wilson. You must mean his actual family....... ;)

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I just don't see how delaying an already announced decision benefits the larger, established power. He and everyone who watches college basketball knows what we bring to the table, what's their to think about if that's the route you are destined to take? You delay your decision to think about an option that is perceived as "riskier", the underdog choice benefits from the "let's sleep on it". All this only a couple days after a huge string of twitter follows. Like I said it's my interpretation of the events as we are all discussing, you have no obligation to "believe" it's anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom