Montez Mathis | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Montez Mathis

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
I just don't see how delaying an already announced decision benefits the larger, established power. He and everyone who watches college basketball knows what we bring to the table, what's their to think about if that's the route you are destined to take? You delay your decision to think about an option that is perceived as "riskier", the underdog choice benefits from the "let's sleep on it". All this only a couple days after a huge string of twitter follows. Like I said it's my interpretation of the events as we are all discussing, you have no obligation to "believe" it's anything.

Maybe so, but from another perspective, lots of kids would be reluctant to defy their parents directly but may stubbornly refuse to obey a directive they don't believe in. That leads to stalemate -- for a while. The longer the delay, the older and more mature & independent Montez is, and the more parents are likely to give in.

Regardless, the UConn coaches have to stay on this kid and keep selling. We're in the top two and we're the objectively better choice. If we persist and continue to build rapport and trust, with parents and coaches as well as Montez, there's every reason to be optimistic.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

What? The AAC geography has problems, but being in the middle of nowhere isn't one of them. Providence is a lot more "nowhere" than New Orleans, Tampa, Houston, Dallas, Memphis and Orlando. It's spread out and the schools mostly have crappy name recognition. That's the issue.

Reaction Score
If you think the American, a conference that didn't exist when these kids were growing up, isn't an issue, you do not know what you're talking about and should probably stop as soon as humanly possible.

The American is a big issue.

In this case though the Friar boys stated Rutgers is going to have great exposure while UConn isn't.

If he goes to RU, he won't be on TV, and OOC, it'll be like he plays on Mars.

Again, if this were a half decent team that UConn was up against, you can make a case that UConn games would have less juice. But Rutgers and the 34 fans at the RAC? I dont think so.

Reaction Score

They're not in the middle of nowhere. They're in big cities.

But if it's travel you're concerned with, where do you think Omaha is located? Milwaukee. Indiana. Chicago. Nowhere near Providence, that's for sure.

The Big10 too--Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana. No one is driving out there.

It is all TV.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Stop mentioning cities and start mentioning schools.

Going to Orlando is nice. Going to New Orleans is nice. Going there to play UCF and Tulane is not a selling point for any kid.

Schools are the problem, not the cities. There isn't one school other than UConn in the American that can be used as a 'destination' opponent.

Reaction Score
Stop mentioning cities and start mentioning schools.

Going to Orlando is nice. Going to New Orleans is nice. Going there to play UCF and Tulane is not a selling point for any kid.

Schools are the problem, not the cities. There isn't one school other than UConn in the American that can be used as a 'destination' opponent.

Still, though. Rutgers.

How is every Rutgers game not like an East Carolina game?

Heck, the scheduled Rutgers v. East Carolina game will have people gouging their eyes out.

Think I'd rather watch a MAC game.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
"Honey, let's give Steve's team a try. Your Daddy & I saw them play in that March tournament thingy back in the 90's, before you were born"

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't know what to say. Glen Miller was the man all along.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Still, though. Rutgers.

How is every Rutgers game not like an East Carolina game?

Heck, the scheduled Rutgers v. East Carolina game will have people gouging their eyes out.

Think I'd rather watch a MAC game.
Everyone here better get used to the taste of humble pie. The glory days are over.

Reaction Score
The real question is... How do rutgers fans think that they are New Yorks team?

Reaction Score
Everyone here better get used to the taste of humble pie. The glory days are over.

Yup. I mean, those quotes about his Mom. I read those and said--he's going to Rutgers. Still think Rutgers is horrifically horrid.

Reaction Score
Trying not to get down about this but it's hard not to.

Everyone laughed at Rutgers promo last year but now their winning recruiting battles against us for a 80th ranked player.

Reaction Score
Good for Pikiell and Hobbs. I don't even particularly like the kids game and would prefer any other guard we are recruiting but yea, not looking great. We are likely looking at a mediocre season and without a top notch class coming in, Benedict will not hesitate.

Look at the bright side, let's weed out all the posters.

Reaction Score
The real question is... How do rutgers fans think that they are New Yorks team?
Both UCONN and Rutgers can be. It's a matter of winning recruiting battles.

From here on end it will be a bitter war for recruits. We're trying to get where you are now. And win some games and hopefully more than that. Not every program can stay dominant so easy. You guys did that by dismantling top programs consistently and when it was necessary in the tournament.

You guys will definitely get your fill of national top players. Hopefully it's only the beginning for us.

Reaction Score
Both UCONN and Rutgers can be. It's a matter of winning recruiting battles.

From here on end it will be a bitter war for recruits. We're trying to get where you are now. And win some games and hopefully more than that. Not every program can stay dominant so easy. You guys did that by dismantling top programs consistently and when it was necessary in the tournament.

You guys will definitely get your fill of national top players. Hopefully it's only the beginning for us.

You can get to the AAC easily. In fact, you should be in the AAC!

According to the B1G fans anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99