Momentum | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While folks like you are pushing a drop down to FCS narrative the AAC under Mike Aresco is pushing for a richer TV deal. Most of what I have read predicts a much better revenue deal which would be thrown away if UCONN opted out in favor of playing in the FCS category. UCONN bailing before knowing the scope of the deal is nuts!

True, UCONN hasn't had a winning record in football for some time but they have invested far to much to quit now. As a reminder, there is no Pro team in CT. UCONN still has an opportunity to be Connecticut's team. That's part of the reason why schools like Iowa, Nebraska, BYU and BSU have such loyal fans - They have no Pro teams in those states.

The Rent opened in August 2003 as the home for a UCONN that was transitioning to Division I-A. UCONN with a 34-10 clubbing of Indiana. Beating a Big 10 team in CT was surreal! I also remember the 46-45 OT victory over PITT in 2006; The 2008 31-28 victory over Big 12, Baylor and RG III who called the Rent one of the loudest stadiums he'd ever played in! More recent wins included the 2015 CONFLICT, 37-29 win over UCF and the 2015 20-17 win over 13th ranked Houston. I will never forget the heart breaking 24-21 loss to The Michigan Wolverines at the Rent before 42,000 fans in 2013. Then there were those Road wins against Iowa, South Carolina and a relatively unknown school - called the Fighting Irish!

UCONN may be down but not dead. There are better days ahead so please take you FCS narrative and go watch a CCSU or a SCSU game. Nothing wrong with those schools if you enjoy watch FCS football. I should know, I played for CCSU.

Here is the history of Rentscher field. Its success to date has been mostly all UCONN.o
Way too much effort and sacrifice to throw in the towel!

Stadium Timeline: The Long Road To Rentschler Field

Great post. A fan post.

Reaction Score
It’s got nothing to do with short time.

You’ve posted nothing but crazy talk.

There would be zero support for UConn at the FCS level and anyone who has spent 2 seconds in Connecticut knows that.

I lived in CT for 13 years and go back routinely to visit my family. Football is football and I honestly dont' care what level we play at. I just want to see UConn win at whatever level they play at.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Common knowledge = show me the proof....common knowledge isn't a position and doesn't show data.

And you don’t have to show something more than some dopey website that has no detail?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I can't believe that there are folks advocating for FCS, when every FCS program would give their left jewel to make it into the FBS and into a conference.

Without question, success in football = success in entire athletics department. And I say that as someone who grew up on UConn basketball, not UConn football. It has to succeed, or everything else dies with it...

Reaction Score
Something's screwy w/ the data... Unless I'm completely reading it wrong - it has UConn as listed in the Big East and the data is for the years 2014-2015 - 2015-2016 ? Can't figure out their methodology for determining "profitability".

Yeah, I am noticing that too.

According to College Factual, Stony Brook's total revenue for all sports was $2,130,396 but UConn says that it breaks even...which is common for most schools. UCLA actually says they make no money because they are non-profit and income matches expenditures.

Statista.com has annual revenue reports but it costs $49/month to access them.

ESPN has a tracker from 2008 but I think that's kind of old for this discussion. College Athletics Revenues and Expenses - ESPN

USA Today did a piece after 2015-2016 that took revenue for all sports and UConn fell in at #46 but it doesn't break down to individual sports. The first FCS school is James Madison at #59. Delaware pops up at #77, Cal-Davis at #82, and Stony Brook at #90.

According to the NCAA 2004-2015 Revenues and Expenses Report, only 24 FBS and 0 FCS programs reported positive net generated revenues. However, to provide data to support the counterargument to my argument, 55% of FBS schools stated the footbal program generated at least some profit while only 2 FCS programs did.

This isn't the easiest topic to find info on but at least I am finding info...a lot of you other guys are just stating common knowledge or attacking the info I find without presenting any of your own.

Reaction Score
While folks like you are pushing a drop down to FCS narrative the AAC under Mike Aresco is pushing for a richer TV deal. Most of what I have read predicts a much better revenue deal which would be thrown away if UCONN opted out in favor of playing in the FCS category. UCONN bailing before knowing the scope of the deal is totally nuts!

True, UCONN hasn't had a winning record in football for some time but they have invested far too much to quit now. As a reminder, there is no Pro team in CT. UCONN still has an opportunity to be Connecticut's team. That's part of the reason why schools like Iowa, Nebraska, BYU and BSU have such loyal fans - They have no Pro teams in those states.

The Rent opened in August 2003 as the home for a UCONN that was transitioning to Division I-A. UCONN with a 34-10 clubbing of Indiana. Beating a Big 10 team in CT was surreal! I also remember the 46-45 OT victory over PITT in 2006; The 2008 31-28 victory over Big 12, Baylor and RG III who called the Rent one of the loudest stadiums he'd ever played in! More recent wins included the 2015 CONFLICT, 37-29 win over UCF and the 2015 20-17 win over 13th ranked Houston. I will never forget the heart breaking 24-21 loss to The Michigan Wolverines at the Rent before 42,000 fans in 2013. Then there were those Road wins against Iowa, South Carolina and a relatively unknown school - called the Fighting Irish!

UCONN may be down but not dead. There are better days ahead so please take your FCS narrative and go watch a CCSU or a SCSU game. Nothing wrong with those schools if you enjoy watch FCS football. I should know, I played for CCSU.

Here is the history of Rentscher field. Its success to date has been mostly all UCONN.o
Way too much effort and sacrifice to throw in the towel!

Stadium Timeline: The Long Road To Rentschler Field

If folks had your FCS philosophy, many of us never would have had the chance to be that excited about UCONN football. I don't know about all Boneyarders and fans but I'm looking forward to more of those great victories at the FBS level in the years to come,

If you read my posts, I am not pushing to move to the FCS at all!

All I have been saying is that if it was a choice between no football and playing at the FCS, then I would take the FCS. Not once did I say, "let's move UConn down to the FCS!"

Reaction Score
They his isn't the easiest topic to find info on but at least I am finding info...a lot of you other guys are just stating common knowledge or attacking the info I find without presenting any of your own.

Because it’s like the movie Ground Hog Day on here sometimes... You’ve shown up here in the last 30 days - these debates have happened ad nauseum here over the years. It’s not new and people tire of the same things being thrown against the wall. It’s not your fault you stumbled onto here recently but understand some of the dynamics.

Anybody can find articles/blogs/websites in this day and age that makes their point - the problem comes in when trying to nail down if the information is actually factual and relevant.

You can’t discuss athletic department /individual sport profitability without factoring in the university provided/mandatory student fee subsidy for each school. UConn’s is up to $31m? That’s a lot of recurring revenue used to plug a gaping hole in a budget.

Reaction Score
Because it’s like the movie Ground Hog Day on here sometimes... You’ve shown up here in the last 30 days - these debates have happened as nauseum here over the years. It’s not new and people tire of the same things being thrown against the wall. It’s not you fault you stumbled onto here recently but understand some of the dynamics.

Anybody can find articles/blogs/websites in this day and age that makes their point - the problem comes in when trying to nail down if the information is actually factual and relevant.

You can’t discuss athletic department /individual sport profitability without factoring in the university provided/mandatory student fee subsidy for each school. UConn’s is up to $31m?. That’s a lot of recurring revenue used to plug a gaping hole in a budget.

https://senate.uconn.edu/wp-content...Senate-UBC-Report-on-AD-Subsidy-to-Senate.pdf

Great points. Thanks for putting it in perspective. It is hard to know what folks are beat to death about without going back and reading every thread that exists.

Reaction Score
If you read my posts, I am not pushing to move to the FCS at all!

All I have been saying is that if it was a choice between no football and playing at the FCS, then I would take the FCS. Not once did I say, "let's move UConn down to the FCS!"

The whole narrative is disturbing. UAB's board shuttered the football program and they had a revolt that overturned the decision. It all probably started with nonsense like this. If UCONN dropped down to FCS, I'd rather go to the Yale Bowl and watch the Ivy League.

Read about how UAB fans didn't accept dropping football. I would hope that true fans would rally around our flagship university if it happened here.

Football never really died at UAB, even after it was killed, and now Blazers are back

Reaction Score
The whole narrative is disturbing. UAB's board shuttered the football program and they had a revolt that overturned the decision. It all probably started with nonsense like this. If UCONN dropped down to FCS, I'd rather go to the Yale Bowl and watch the Ivy League.

Read about how UAB fans didn't accept dropping football. I would hope that true fans would rally around our flagship university if it happened here.

Football never really died at UAB, even after it was killed, and now Blazers are back

But if the school came back and said fine, we will keep UConn football but at the FCS level, would that not be a partial win?

I'm not saying I would be happy about it but I still feel it would be better than having no football team.

Reaction Score
But if the school came back and said fine, we will keep UConn football but at the FCS level, would that not be a partial win?

I'm not saying I would be happy about it but I still feel it would be better than having no football team.

Nope! Not even thinking about battling Villanova, Sacred Heart or Youngstown State. I got in for Big time college football. If they drop out, I'm out.

Reaction Score
First ... UConn Athletic Department is NOT just Football and Men's Basketball. The Jimmy Carter Malaise exhibited by some is because these years have been tough in those two bell cow sports. The Overall AD is genuinely in good shape. But we were in the Jeff Hathaway Zzzzz years. We hire Program coaches and let them develop to compete for championships. That was true of Calhoun and Auriemma; but also Stevens and Ray Reid (?). Jim Penders. Mike Cavanaugh. Randy Edsall is proven - in my mind. It is tough this term because the new conference does not provide the buzz for State of Connecticut fans as the Big East slant of Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, BC. But, some of the things Edsall is doing this time informs me that he is actually a better HC than the previous years.

Second ... Michael Hogan was a very mediocre administrator. The Susan Herbst years, in contrast, has been one of significant University growth and excellence. The athletic department is merely one important component of a campus (series of campuses) that needed energetic leadership and change. To judge Susan Herbst (or David Benedict) on conference status ignores that our path was largely set in 2002-2003, long before they arrived. Beat out Louisville>? Only if the collective political structure was willing to bankrupt the City, County and State (further) with a YUM type deal; which I suspect is rivaled by their PapaJohns Stadium deal. The University, in the realm it operates, does not have the juice to push through stupidity. I do not see the New Big East as a hugely beneficial option. I think we are in FBS Football for the long haul given a $200-300m investment. And the marketing, given the poor field performance since 2010 (hmmm) is pushing a rock up a hill thus far.

The reason I don't like to engage in the debate is the above answer doesn't really ever change. Nothing about this moment in time gives more momentum than Danny Hurley and Randy Edsall - solid two gets and contracts given the circumstances. And, yet, I do bring up the history: We sucked before John Toner edged us into the Dave Gavitt discussion; we have a glorious rise since. And there will be great days again.
Aaaahh...Very refreshing post.
So interesting over the weekend HC Pruit blasted his fan base for not showing up to the Spring game. Now we’re talking about a Vol team in the SEC with DEEP pockets and a rabid fan base. And that place was half empty because why? Because they haven’t won the SEC in a gazillion years and beat Florida once in about 11 tries. But it’s interesting what he said. He said the fans who didn’t show up? Well they gotta look in the mirror and find out who they want to be. He compared them to some of the players who actually quit during the spring game. And I watched some of it and he was right.
It’s so interesting and ironic how fans will chastise players or teams for quitting on a season or not fighting through adversity. When said players or teams show up with attitudes we lambaste them for not sucking it up and tackling the misery head on- Yet, all throughout this board I’m seeing post after post of such negativity (disguised as just being realistic or wise about judging football teams) before the season even started. All UConn fans should look in the mirror and find out who they want to be. We don’t expect our players to just show up when they’re winning do we? We want them to battle through the tough times. There are so many FAKE UConn football fans in here calling the team and the coaching staff a virtual train wreck and quite frankly it’s pathetic. I’ve played on teams that have lost a lot. I’ve worked at places that I couldn’t stand. But what I was taught and what I explain to my children is your mindset and attitude can change things. No matter what if you claim to be a part of something larger than yourself then the whole is only as good as the weakest link. You MUST show up with enthusiasm and grit in order to affect change on a situation. And you know what? As life has it that doesn’t ensure anything. But as long as you keep that mindset you will always be prepared to take advantage of a situation when the door cracks open.
So for all the wannabe UConn fans on here who keep spewing all these facts about how the team should drop football or that we suck or that our coaches blow and players are garbage....How about taking a look in the mirror? Who do want to be? Stop asking our players what you aren’t willing to do yourself. Show up as a UConn fan and cheer in the guys who are busting their asses to put a better a better product in the field. These coaches are spending weeks and months away from their families to try and provide the fan base with something to be proud of. Why can’t we show up and pack the Rent and show them what character is all about???? The sad part is, and I know this from my playing days, when the home venue I was playing in was packed with fans, we all managed to find that extra juice and conversely it was a pain in the ass for the opposing team. Some times on the road I couldn’t even think straight when the place was jumping. Home field advantage is real. When the Rent is packed you almost can’t hear the person next to you it’s ridiculous. Yes, the team needs to do their part including coaches with recruiting and players lifting and understanding scheme. But as fans we need to do ours and pack the joint to give our players an edge. Winning is a two way street.
UConn fans, not all, but most are FAKE!
Just my humble opinion.
Thanks Whaler for creating this thread. I’m sure this was your plan all along.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I can't believe that there are folks advocating for FCS, when every FCS program would give their left jewel to make it into the FBS and into a conference.

Without question, success in football = success in entire athletics department. And I say that as someone who grew up on UConn basketball, not UConn football. It has to succeed, or everything else dies with it...

This is a discussion where some posit no football is better than FCS football for UConn’s future. No one here is advocating FCS football is better for us than FBS football.

I believe we are still all unified that FBS remains the best path forward.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Aaaahh...Very refreshing post.
So interesting over the weekend HC Pruit blasted his fan base for not showing up to the Spring game. Now we’re talking about a Vol team in the SEC with DEEP pockets and a rabid fan base. And that place was half empty because why? Because they haven’t won the SEC in a gazillion years and beat Florida once in about 11 tries. But it’s interesting what he said. He said the fans who didn’t show up? Well they gotta look in the mirror and find out who they want to be. He compared them to some of the players who actually quit during the spring game. And I watched some of it and he was right.
It’s so interesting and ironic how fans will chastise players or teams for quitting on a season or not fighting through adversity. When said players or teams show up with attitudes we lambaste them for not sucking it up and tackling the misery head on- Yet, all throughout this board I’m seeing post after post of such negativity (disguised as just being realistic or wise about judging football teams) before the season even started. All UConn fans should look in the mirror and find out who they want to be. We don’t expect our players to just show up when they’re winning do we? We want them to battle through the tough times. There are so many FAKE UConn football fans in here calling the team and the coaching staff a virtual train wreck and quite frankly it’s pathetic. I’ve played on teams that have lost a lot. I’ve worked at places that I couldn’t stand. But what I was taught and what I explain to my children is your mindset and attitude can change things. No matter what if you claim to be a part of something larger than yourself then the whole is only as good as the weakest link. You MUST show up with enthusiasm and grit in order to affect change on a situation. And you know what? As life has it that doesn’t ensure anything. But as long as you keep that mindset you will always be prepared to take advantage of a situation when the door cracks open.
So for all the wannabe UConn fans on here who keep spewing all these facts about how the team should drop football or that we suck or that our coaches blow and players are garbage....How about taking a look in the mirror? Who do want to be? Stop asking our players what you aren’t willing to do yourself. Show up as a UConn fan and cheer in the guys who are busting their asses to put a better a better product in the field. These coaches are spending weeks and months away from their families to try and provide the fan base with something to be proud of. Why can’t we show up and pack the Rent and show them what character is all about???? The sad part is, and I know this from my playing days, when the home venue I was playing in was packed with fans, we all managed to find that extra juice and conversely it was a pain in the ass for the opposing team. Some times on the road I couldn’t even think straight when the place was jumping. Home field advantage is real. When the Rent is packed you almost can’t hear the person next to you it’s ridiculous. Yes, the team needs to do their part including coaches with recruiting and players lifting and understanding scheme. But as fans we need to do ours and pack the joint to give our players an edge. Winning is a two way street.
UConn fans, not all, but most are FAKE!
Just my humble opinion.
Thanks Whaler for creating this thread. I’m sure this was your plan all along.

I’d mix in some paragraphs. There are plenty of fake fans but generally the ones left are fans even if they are nuts. Could be why they are nuts.

I know some hate reality but the attitude of fans does not impact the ol w/l record.

How do I show my grit? Tackle people
in the parking lot? Instead of snacks, eat dirt?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is a discussion where some posit no football is better than FCS football for UConn’s future. No one here is advocating FCS football is better for us than FBS football.

I believe we are still all unified that FBS remains the best path forward.

No one has posited no football is better in any other way than they lose a lot of money on football and if one needs to eliminate some the subsidy they ain’t gonna do it losing even more money on FCS.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No one has posited no football is better in any other way than they lose a lot of money on football and if one needs to eliminate some the subsidy they ain’t gonna do it losing even more money on FCS.
Okay- but what I was hearing from Jimmy was no football is better than FCS football.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And I don’t think we’d lose more money in FCS. What we dont have a handle on now is how much they are spending on marketing and promo or their avg ticket yield which seems to be awfully low given all the deep discounts and freebies. The current state of football has to be gushing.

Reaction Score
I’d mix in some paragraphs. There are plenty of fake fans but generally the ones left are fans even if they are nuts. Could be why they are nuts.

I know some hate reality but the attitude of fans does not impact the ol w/l record.

How do I show my grit? Tackle people
in the parking lot? Instead of snacks, eat dirt?
Interesting. Well guess you really didn’t understand my overall sentiment. Again, as Neiland Stadium was half full the HC took issue with that. The Rent draws 11k average a game now.
Perhaps you felt I was targeting you bud...For the ones that show up to the games, bravo! I was more interested in the fans that are negative and decide to stay away. Our stadium holds 45-48k. For the 30 some odd thousand people who can realistically make it to the game but opt out because the team is losing? Shame on them.
That’s my point.
And for the fans who are negative before the season even starts? Proclaiming we are going to lose to UCF and Boise, etc? Well, good thing little ole UMBC didnt buy into the BS prognostications and actually showed and played their hearts out. Good thing little ole Loyola Chicago actually showed up to play the game.
Heck, good thing UCF showed up to play Auburn. Sports is rife with examples of teams overcoming bs prognostications and showing up and winning.
Until August 30th say around 10:30ish, I’m gonna actually believe that UConn can win this game. And so on and so on.
It’s a choice man.
I choose optimism.
UMBC and Loyola fans showed up to those arenas and were treated to one hell of a ride. Kudos to them!

PS. I’m sure you had UMBC trouncing the number one team in the country though. Am I right?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Interesting. Well guess you really didn’t understand my overall sentiment. Again, as Neiland Stadium was half full the HC took issue with that. The Rent draws 11k average a game now.
Perhaps you felt I was targeting you bud...For the ones that show up to the games, bravo! I was more interested in the fans that are negative and decide to stay away. Our stadium holds 45-48k. For the 30 some odd thousand people who can realistically make it to the game but opt out because the team is losing? Shame on them.
That’s my point.
And for the fans who are negative before the season even starts? Proclaiming we are going to lose to UCF and Boise, etc? Well, good thing little ole UMBC didnt buy into the BS prognostications and actually showed and played their hearts out. Good thing little ole Loyola Chicago actually showed up to play the game.
Heck, good thing UCF showed up to play Auburn. Sports is rife with examples of teams overcoming bs prognostications and showing up and winning.
Until August 30th say around 10:30ish, I’m gonna actually believe that UConn can win this game. And so on and so on.
It’s a choice man.
I choose optimism.
UMBC and Loyola fans showed up to those arenas and were treated to one hell of a ride. Kudos to them!

PS. I’m sure you had UMBC trouncing the number one team in the country though. Am I right?

Sure you don’t know how many people go to the games or what the stadium’s capacity is but lecture away about the right way to be a fan. You will fit in perfect around here too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Okay- but what I was hearing from Jimmy was no football is better than FCS football.

To the vast majority of people there is no difference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That’s my point.
It’s a choice man.
I choose optimism.

Javy are you ever going to tell us which kid you are here for are we going to continue the charade that you otherwise are a UConn fan?

Reaction Score
Javy are you ever going to tell us which kid you are here for are we going to continue the charade that you otherwise are a UConn fan?
Haha. You remind me of Trump with the birther movement. Let it go bud. Let it go. Whether I’m a longtime UConn fan, fan for about 10 years or just showed up for a kid/recruit- my opinion is just as valid as anyones. But as I’ve stated before my ties to UConn go WAY back to RE 1.0. I know and hung out with players from those winning teams that you’ll never know. Just continue to opine and receive counter points and debate. Leave the corny detective work at the door.
Great job with this thread bud. It actually created some nice debate.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To the vast majority of people there is no difference.
Let’s see what we think of fan support by the temple game in November. The colonial averaged 9800 in league attendence last year, will we match that over the last three games? gonna be close and would be happy to be wrong.

If Albany can have a team, there is no way we don’t have a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom