Momentum | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They have plenty to lose.

If you get blown out 51-7, you can shatter your team’s confidence and declare to the fans they aren’t worth watching - all before Labor Day.

Nobody in their right mind would want to play the two best teams on the schedule weeks 1 and 2 with that defense.
Who can you blame for this? Edsall? Benedict? The AAC? The Deep State? Russia? Why don't you just lighten up and realize that we're in a lot better place than we were just two seasons ago. "Take my advice. Start drinking heavily."

Reaction Score
2. A guy who wants to borrow a cornhole game, but let's not go crazy it has to be close to his house

I don't know who's right or wrong in this thread, but just thinking of what you typed for #2 in the OP makes me laugh every time I stop by this board. Well done. :D

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Even with all our history as a football program? Wouldn't that be like saying Rutgers will cut their program? Rutgers started playing in 1869.

Looking at your list above:

Maine: 1892
NH: 1893
URI: 1895
UConn: 1896
Buffalo: 1899
Stony Brook: 1969
Albany: 1973

Some other New England/New York Schools:

Columbia: 1870
Harvard: 1873
Brown: 1878
UMass: 1879
Dartmouth: 1881
Fordham: 1881
Cornell: 1887
Colgate: 1890
Holy Cross: 1891
Boston College: 1893

I feel if Stony Brook and Albany drop their programs it won't be as big a hit as the others on your list. Once those other schools or some of the other New England/New York schools do it, then I say doomsday is getting closer. Wouldn't it be better to pack a stadium for winning FCS team then have an empty stadium for a losing FBS team?

No, it wouldn't. As one example, Sam Houston is a perennial FCS powerhouse, in the middle of rabid southern football country. They have a great on campus stadium. They only get about half to maybe 2/3 capacity crowds for their home FCS playoff games.

Thinking UCONN would pack P&W Stadium for FCS games is crazy.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Do you think the following schools look at FCS football as an embarrasement?

Montana - 2 national championships (7 appearances), 18 conference championships, 23 playoff appearances, 93.33% avg attendance in 2017, 100.6% in 2016, 95.72% in 2015
James Madison - 2 national championships, 7 conference championships, 14 playoff apperances, 87.32% avg attendance in 2017, 79.76% in 2016
North Dakota State - 6 national championships, 9 conference championships, 8 playoff apperances, 96.48% avg attendance in 2017, 97.66% in 2016, 97.35% in 2015

Comparison:
UConn - 0 national championships, 2 conference championships, 6 bowl games, 50.04% avg attendance in 2017, 65.94% in 2016, 70.53% in 2015

Here is an article about the financial woes of UMass' move to FBS: Football is forever: The money-losing drug these schools can't quit

Apples and oranges. The FCS schools you referenced are all in the middle of freakin' nowhere. Of course they fill their small stadiums when their programs are successful. There's no other game in town.

UCONN is in the middle of the NE megalopolis, sandwiched between two of the biggest pro sports crazy markets in the country, NYC and Boston. CT itself is a pro sports market because of its close proximity. There are also a million other things to do on football Saturdays in the fall. The FCS schools you mention aren't competing against any of that in their local markets. They're literally the only game in town.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can anyone name a poster in this thread that said FCS was better for UConn than FBS?

Can anyone name a poster in this thread that said our attendance would improve as an FCS program?

Can anyone name a poster in this thread that said we would make more money as an FCS program?

I dont believe any of these points have been asserted (I could be wrong - show me), but some post as if has.

Reaction Score
Can anyone name a poster in this thread that said FCS was better for UConn than FBS?

Can anyone name a poster in this thread that said our attendance would improve as an FCS program?

Can anyone name a poster in this thread that said we would make more money as an FCS program?

I dont believe any of these points have been asserted (I could be wrong - show me), but some post as if has.

Don’t care to do that.

My position is clear. I’d rather drop football altogether than go FCS.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Don’t care to do that.

My position is clear. I’d rather drop football altogether than go FCS.

I don't recall you making a post in this discussion that indicated you didn't understand the conversation. There have been others however who seem to be responding to positions that have not been made. My post did not have you in mind.

Reaction Score
2. A guy who wants to borrow a cornhole game, but let's not go crazy it has to be close to his house

I don't know who's right or wrong in this thread, but just thinking of what you typed for #2 in the OP makes me laugh every time I stop by this board. Well done. :D
@whaler11 has a very underrated sense of humor. I think often he’s making a joke and people think he’s actually pissed off.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who can you blame for this? Edsall? Benedict? The AAC? The Deep State? Russia? Why don't you just lighten up and realize that we're in a lot better place than we were just two seasons ago. "Take my advice. Start drinking heavily."
#unintentionallyironicposts

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges. The FCS schools you referenced are all in the middle of freakin' nowhere. Of course they fill their small stadiums when their programs are successful. There's no other game in town.

UCONN is in the middle of the NE megalopolis, sandwiched between two of the biggest pro sports crazy markets in the country, NYC and Boston. CT itself is a pro sports market because of its close proximity. There are also a million other things to do on football Saturdays in the fall. The FCS schools you mention aren't competing against any of that in their local markets. They're literally the only game in town.

Have you lived in a place where there is only one game in town?

What I am getting at is the culture in those locations are vastly different...what some people think of "the only thing to do on Saturday" is vastly different in those places.

Anchorage, Alaska had a professional hockey team (below NHL) and it was literally "the only game in town" in a town that loves hockey....they didn't necessarily pack the arena because folks were doing other things because sports aren't the only things to do. Folks went to the games because they were fans, regardless of what level the team was playing at.

To say folks wont attend UConn football games just because they move down a Division shows what type of fans we have.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To say folks wont attend UConn football games just because they move down a Division shows what type of fans we have.

Welcome to New England?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Have you lived in a place where there is only one game in town?

What I am getting at is the culture in those locations are vastly different...what some people think of "the only thing to do on Saturday" is vastly different in those places.

Anchorage, Alaska had a professional hockey team (below NHL) and it was literally "the only game in town" in a town that loves hockey....they didn't necessarily pack the arena because folks were doing other things because sports aren't the only things to do. Folks went to the games because they were fans, regardless of what level the team was playing at.

Um. It means we’re like every other fan base in every other part of the world?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Welcome to New England?:rolleyes:
this is neither unique to UConn nor New England.

Unless you guys know of a bunch of other places where FCS teams routinely outdraw FBS teams.

I didn't go to a single game before UConn upgraded. But I've been a diehard fan since we upgraded.

You couldn't pay me to go watch us play a home slate of James Madison, Richmond, URI, Stony Book, Towson, and William and Mary.

Reaction Score

Unless you guys know of a bunch of other places where FCS teams routinely outdraw FBS teams.

I didn't go to a single game before UConn upgraded. But I've been a diehard fan since we upgraded.

You couldn't pay me to go watch us play a home slate of James Madison, Richmond, URI, Stony Book, Towson, and William and Mary.

What kind of fan are you?

Reaction Score

I will say it constantly and nobody can change my mind. I would rather have UConn at FCS playing those teams then no football at all. If I lived back in CT I would be at the games I could physically make.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

And what type might that be?

Reaction Score
I will say it constantly and nobody can change my mind. I would rather have UConn at FCS playing those teams then no football at all. If I lived back in CT I would be at the games I could physically make.
I'm not trying to change your mind. Just state what should be an obvious fact. FCS teams don't draw as much as FBS teams. That doesn't say anything about the fans.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I neither the time nor inclination to convince you that New England/NY fans don't support losers well. If you want to believe fandom here is at the same level as the rest of the nation for medioce teams, then fine.

I'm not trying to change your mind. Just state what should be an obvious fact. FCS teams don't draw as much as FBS teams. That doesn't say anything about the fans.
OMG - who ever said that? No one.

This conversation keeps going off the rails.

Reaction Score
I neither the time nor inclination to convince you that New England/NY fans don't support losers well. If you want to believe fandom here is at the same level as the rest of the nation for medioce teams, then fine.
OMG - who ever said that?

You said "welcome to New England" just because someone said people won't go to UConn's FCS games.

That's true everywhere.

Reaction Score

The idiot keeps lecturing people on what kind of fans they are if we don’t go to the FCS games.

Reaction Score

Here’s another guy who doesn’t go to games lecturing the rest of us who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom