Momentum | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have we decided who Hornet22 is tied too at the program? My money is on Kevon Jones who played for the East Hartford HORNETS. I have high hopes for K. Jones, could be a real good one.
Much more likely to be a family member especially since he was posting about getting up and going to work.

Reaction Score
Do you have a source and methodology for the computations above?? What is your definition of "making money". Pretty sure UConn's football losses are "massive" as someone said. I'd be interested in the accounting method.

It's not my methodology...it is the website I referenced.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
For all the advocates of FCS football, we can count on you spending $300 a year in season tickets to watch URI, UMass, Maine, Fordham, UNH and Yale?

Right?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Much more likely to be a family member especially since he was posting about getting up and going to work.
Hmmm, It wasn't my intent to suggest that Hornet22 is a player, but "tied" to a player as a family member or friend of the player's family.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He’s being sarcastic because he’s not a credible poster.
So you are saying I an incredible poster? Wow, that was really nice Whaler.

Reaction Score
For all the advocates of FCS football, we can count on you spending $300 a year in season tickets to watch URI, UMass, Maine, Fordham, UNH and Yale?

Right?

So I wasn't advocating to move to FCS football, just would rather have FCS football than no football. Not sure why people can't put that together?

And I for one, if I lived in CT and not CA would gladly pay $300/year to watch UConn football in person...even if they were playing those teams. Wouldn't a true fan want to watch their team play regardless of opponent?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So I wasn't advocating to move to FCS football, just would rather have FCS football than no football. Not sure why people can't put that together?

And I for one, if I lived in CT and not CA would gladly pay $300/year to watch UConn football in person...even if they were playing those teams. Wouldn't a true fan want to watch their team play regardless of opponent?

I'd rather no football. But I don't care about UConn women's basketball, soccer, field hockey, etc. Just mens hoops and FBS football, so maybe I'm not #TrueFan

Reaction Score
I'd rather no football. But I don't care about UConn women's basketball, soccer, field hockey, etc. Just mens hoops and FBS football, so maybe I'm not #TrueFan

I don't know. Maybe that was harsh for me to say. I am primarily a men's/women's basketball and football fan but that is because eveer since I moved from CT, it's all I can see. If I was back home I would probably get into the other sports more. Especially seeing my kids love soccer and are starting to get into baseball.

I just love seeing all UConn sports on the field, ice, court, etc. regardless of conference or division affiliation.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, It wasn't my intent to suggest that Hornet22 is a player, but "tied" to a player as a family member or friend of the player's family.
Or maybe a girlfriend who really likes and knows a lil bit about football but just wants to support my boo?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Or maybe a girlfriend who really likes and knows a lil bit about football but just wants to support my boo?
Sure thats possible ...... but unlikely.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Does Puerto Rico have a professional women’s basketball league?

Reaction Score
Does Puerto Rico have a professional women’s basketball league?
Not sure.
I’d have to ask Javy.
It didn’t read up on his story well enough to get that little nugget.
Give me a bit. I’ll get back to you

Reaction Score
It's not my methodology...it is the website I referenced.
Did not see a reference in your post.

Quite sure the number quoted for UConn includes all the subsidies and excludes stadium debt service and upkeep costs. No way that program makes money.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Did not see a reference in your post.

Quite sure the number quoted for UConn includes all the subsidies and excludes stadium debt service and upkeep costs. No way that program makes money.
It should exclude debt service and maintenance. UConn doesn't own Rentschler. They pay rent.

Reaction Score
It should exclude debt service and maintenance. UConn doesn't own Rentschler. They pay rent.
You and I will agree to differ on this point. No FBS FB team, no Rent. So a full accounting uses the true cost, not any sweatheart rental agreement.

Reaction Score
You and I will agree to differ on this point. No FBS FB team, no Rent. So a full accounting uses the true cost, not any sweatheart rental agreement.

All the costs should be accounted for but not all of the revenues? That does not make sense to me.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Absent an executed agreement, the norm is for property owners (or their agent. In this case, Global Spectrum) to be responsible for debt service and maintenance. GS can certainly use rents and fees to offset debt service and maintenance, but the tenant does not necessarily have discretion over what costs their rent covers.

In the meantime, I did do some digging. Per UConn's response to the Big XII:

d. Athletics department budgets; debt levels, debt service obligations, and repayment timing and amounts (last 5 years and projected).

The Athletics Department incurred debt related to the construction of Harry A. Gampel Pavilion. The final debt payment of $89,422 will be made in FY2017. There is no other direct debt obligation for the department...

Further down in the document:
h. Investment in athletic facilities (last 5 years); contracted or planned capital expenditure projects and funding sources therefore.

...(Pratt and Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field) was financed and built by the State of Connecticut, and is being leased back to the university, which has been paying the majority of the debt service via that agreement.

So, while UConn does not own Rentschler Field, their response to the Big XII, presumably as the anchor tenant, indicates they are responsible for a significant portion of debt service.

On the other hand, according to the New London Day, the bonds floated by the State used to finance it will be paid off in 2020 and in the remote possibility that UConn downgrades football, it will be a non-issue.

I still will not agree to disagree because you made an off the cuff SWAG. Plus there is no indication that UConn is responsible for maintenance. In fact, the Rentschler financial statements clearly state that, "...income generated by the operations of the Stadium to be used for the purpose of funding maintenance and capital improvements at the facility."

Reaction Score
I did not say they were responsible for maintenance. In fact I would be very surprised if they were. But UConn FB is the reason the Rent is there, they are the principal tenant, and if the rental agreement does not fully account for all the debt service and maintenance minus ancillary income, then that should properly go into the calculation. It just does not seem logical to me that in the amount of time the Rent has been there since completion in 2003 (right outside my office window), that UConn FB could have paid off the lion's share of debt service in the form of rent. Maybe their obligations to the state per their agreement, but not the lion's share of the debt service for the entire facility. I also think that the students are getting hit pretty hard to subsidize the program. But others would know more about that than me. And did they not LOSE money on even the Fiesta Bowl?

Reaction Score
I thought @Hornet22 was the reincarnation of another EH poster whose handle escapes me, but who may have been related to/friends with Dahna Deleston.

Reaction Score
I did not say they were responsible for maintenance. In fact I would be very surprised if they were. But UConn FB is the reason the Rent is there, they are the principal tenant, and if the rental agreement does not fully account for all the debt service and maintenance minus ancillary income, then that should properly go into the calculation. It just does not seem logical to me that in the amount of time the Rent has been there since completion in 2003 (right outside my office window), that UConn FB could have paid off the lion's share of debt service in the form of rent. Maybe their obligations to the state per their agreement, but not the lion's share of the debt service for the entire facility. I also think that the students are getting hit pretty hard to subsidize the program. But others would know more about that than me. And did they not LOSE money on even the Fiesta Bowl?

The Rent mgmt group generates revenues ( e.g. game concessions, game parking, concerts, other sports events) that are not directed to the AD ... why should all of the costs be accounted for by the AD?

Husky25

Reaction Score
What's "upkeep?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member