Momentum | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's nothing else to do in Montana. People don't show up for FBS football games. They're not showing up for FCS games. Total waste of not just money but resources as well.

Hunting, Hiking, movies, and making babies can all be done in Montana....I get the point about nothing to do there in terms of what people from the Northeast think "stuff to do means."

My wife is from Alaska and there is a ton to do there...but most people in the lower 48 would say there isn't anything to do there so if the top sports team must have a lot of attendance....Montana, Alaska, North/South Dakota....people do different things there, so to say there is nothing to do there is irrelevant because they are two different cultures.

Reaction Score
As I said above, the three programs you mentioned, as successful as their recent history may be, probably consider FCS to be their ceiling. UConn has been to the near pinnacle of FBS. True it was not as recent as 2015, but it was ancient history either. To go back only that far is disingenuous at best.

For UConn to retreat back to FCS, when they have already proven they can succeed at a higher level, when other programs within their conference have proven it can be done, especially when the team is profitable and contributes cost-offset for programs that do not generate revenue (if your post above is to be believed) would be tantamount to putting their tail between their legs.

Any textbook definition of, "with (one's) tail between (one's) legs," includes the display of embarrassment. We absolutely can say it, because that is exactly what it would be.

Ok, I will give you that in terms of backing down to the FCS, it could be viewed as an embarrasement for us. But taking an initial embarrasement to keep a football team that could become good at the FCS level over killing the program altogether (if it came to that) is what I would support more.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
But in my short time here in the boneyard I've realized that outside perspectives and thoughts are generally not met well. I'm ok with that though.

We were all new at one point or another. Personally, I welcome outside perspectives. They just shouldn't svck.

Ok, I will give you that in terms of backing down to the FCS, it could be viewed as an embarrasement for us...

DONE!!! FULL STOP (If only you did that two pages ago...but without the superfluous sentence)!!!!

I think @whaler11 demonstrated that the drop in margin provided by the football team, should UConn retreat to FCS, could potentially cost the school the entire athletic program. Dropping down in this environment has ripple effects beyond merely football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It makes zero sense to drop to FCS.
Lower scholarship count saves money, particularly when you consider you can drop an equivalent amount amount woman's sports. Regional opponents saves money. That's about it. I'm not advocating it in the least. It would be a huge mistake, but that would be the motivator.

Reaction Score
Lower scholarship count saves money, particularly when you consider you can drop an equivalent amount amount woman's sports. Regional opponents saves money. That's about it. I'm not advocating it in the least. It would be a huge mistake, but that would be the motivator.
But your revenue isn't as high either...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Revenue would decrease to a much larger degree.

Reaction Score
We were all new at one point or another. Personally, I welcome outside perspectives. They just shouldn't svck.

DONE!!! FULL STOP (If only you did that two pages ago...but without the superfluous sentence)!!!!

I think @whaler11 demonstrated that the drop in margin provided by the football team, should UConn retreat to FCS, could potentially cost the school the entire athletic program. Dropping down in this environment has ripple effects beyond merely football.

How can you stop someone mid-sentence? Stopping right there takes my whole statement out of context.

Reaction Score

Yeah I listed those out 2 pages ago. The savings add up to about the loss of revenue we’d get from the AAC.

Husky25

Reaction Score
How can you stop someone mid-sentence? Stopping right there takes my whole statement out of context.

How's that? There was a period (There is still a period there). Periods at the end of a group of words usually indicate the end of said group of words. Ergo, end of sentence. See? Look (I bolded, underlined, italicized and made it a different color for purposes of distinction.):

Ok, I will give you that in terms of backing down to the FCS, it could be viewed as an embarrasement for us. But taking an initial embarrasement to keep a football team that could become good at the FCS level over killing the program altogether (if it came to that) is what I would support more.

Reaction Score
How's that? There was a period (There is still a period there). Periods at the end of a group of words usually indicate the end of said group of words. Ergo, end of sentence. See? Look (I bolded, underlined, italicized and made it a different color for purposes of distinction.):

I said it in the context that I see it could embarass us initially but if I had to choose between initial embarassement and having an FCS team or having not team at all, I would take the embarassement. I also stand-by my statement that having an FCS team doesn't always equal embarresement...I still think it UConn could get over initial embarresement and be successful at the FCS level if it HAD to. I'm not saying I want it to.

Reaction Score
And as far as making money, here is a little bit of other data on most profitable college sports:

#88: University of Montana Football (FCS) $3.47million
#100: UConn BASKETBALL $2.25 million
#120: Montana State University Football (FCS) $1.43million
#123: The Citadel Football (FCS) $1.27million
#128: Valdosta State Football $991K
#131: Stony Brook LACROSSE $951K
#132: UConn Football $891K
#133: Southern Utah Football $851K
#138: Furman Football $790K
#140: Murray State Football $764K

One can look at this data and say that we are making more money than most FCS football teams so it supports the stance that we would make more money at the FBS level but one could also say that there 4 FCS programs that currently DO make more money than us at the FCS level so it is possible that UConn can still make some money playing at the FCS level. Arguably, not as much as they COULD make if the team played better or had a different conference affiliation but this thread was discussing that if that didn't happen, the school would rather drop football altogether then have and FCS team....which I am not thinking would be the case.

But in my short time here in the boneyard I've realized that outside perspectives and thoughts are generally not met well. I'm ok with that though.

Those are all cooked books.

Outside perspectives are fine and welcome but when they are stupid they will called stupid.

Reaction Score
Coaching and recruiting go hand in hand but regardless of who is coaching, recruiting must improve. In the last 5 years UCONN'S average 247 recruiting rank was 102.6.
2018 was the worst at 104. In the five years prior it was an avg. score of 75.6.
In 2017 UCONN ranked dead last in 247's AAC composite rankings.
They need to Master recruiting. Maybe we should recruit some Sports Illustrated Swimsuit models as assistant football coaches.
Now that’s some creativity..

Husky25

Reaction Score
I said it in the context that I see it could embarass us initially but if I had to choose between initial embarassement and having an FCS team or having not team at all, I would take the embarassement. I also stand-by my statement that having an FCS team doesn't always equal embarresement...I still think it UConn could get over initial embarresement and be successful at the FCS level if it HAD to. I'm not saying I want it to.

Are you under the impression that because I did not quote a particular part of your passage, that I did not read it? Of course I read it. My retort would not have been nearly pithy enough, had I included it. That was the purpose of the ellipses.

I'm not going to say that you are bad at this. You are just not good yet. It'll come. I still have hope for you. It took me about 10,000 posts, but it's like Karate. even Black Belts have more to learn. :D

Reaction Score
Are you under the impression that because I did not quote a particular part of your passage, that I did not read it? Of course I read it. My retort would not have been nearly pithy enough, had I included it. That was the purpose of the ellipses.

I'm not going to say that you are bad at this. You are just not good yet. It'll come. I still have hope for you. It took me about 10,000 posts, but it's like Karate. even Black Belts have more to learn. :D

Lol. I honestly have not participated in discussion boards sense I was one of those crazy fans that fought to bring the CBS show "Jericho" back on the air. I was also working shift work at nights and had NOTHING better to do then surfing chat boards and posting like a mad man.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Lol. I honestly have not participated in discussion boards sense I was one of those crazy fans that fought to bring the CBS show "Jericho" back on the air. I was also working shift work at nights and had NOTHING better to do then surfing chat boards and posting like a mad man.
My faith grows.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And as far as making money, here is a little bit of other data on most profitable college sports:

#88: University of Montana Football (FCS) $3.47million
#100: UConn BASKETBALL $2.25 million
#120: Montana State University Football (FCS) $1.43million
#123: The Citadel Football (FCS) $1.27million
#128: Valdosta State Football $991K
#131: Stony Brook LACROSSE $951K
#132: UConn Football $891K
#133: Southern Utah Football $851K
#138: Furman Football $790K
#140: Murray State Football $764K

One can look at this data and say that we are making more money than most FCS football teams so it supports the stance that we would make more money at the FBS level but one could also say that there 4 FCS programs that currently DO make more money than us at the FCS level so it is possible that UConn can still make some money playing at the FCS level. Arguably, not as much as they COULD make if the team played better or had a different conference affiliation but this thread was discussing that if that didn't happen, the school would rather drop football altogether then have and FCS team....which I am not thinking would be the case.

It’s got nothing to do with short time.

You’ve posted nothing but crazy talk.

There would be zero support for UConn at the FCS level and anyone who has spent 2 seconds in Connecticut knows that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Um. Common knowledge?

Who knows where those crazy numbers came from but some sure are funny. I like when I see FIU making millions football.

Stony Brook’s lacrosse program makes a million dollars a year....

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Who knows where those crazy numbers came from but some sure are funny. I like when I see FIU making millions football.

Stony Brook’s lacrosse program makes a million dollars a year....

It’s easy. I own a store with an annual operating cost of $500k. My revenue is $400k annually. I get a subsidy from the state in the amount of $300k that I count as revenue. I can report an annual profit of $200k. It’s worse because these schools report student fees that subsidize athletics as revenue.

If Stony Brook lax makes $1m a year I’ll eat my shoes.

Reaction Score

While folks like you are pushing a drop down to FCS narrative the AAC under Mike Aresco is pushing for a richer TV deal. Most of what I have read predicts a much better revenue deal which would be thrown away if UCONN opted out in favor of playing in the FCS category. UCONN bailing before knowing the scope of the deal is totally nuts!

True, UCONN hasn't had a winning record in football for some time but they have invested far too much to quit now. As a reminder, there is no Pro team in CT. UCONN still has an opportunity to be Connecticut's team. That's part of the reason why schools like Iowa, Nebraska, BYU and BSU have such loyal fans - They have no Pro teams in those states.

The Rent opened in August 2003 as the home for a UCONN that was transitioning to Division I-A. UCONN with a 34-10 clubbing of Indiana. Beating a Big 10 team in CT was surreal! I also remember the 46-45 OT victory over PITT in 2006; The 2008 31-28 victory over Big 12, Baylor and RG III who called the Rent one of the loudest stadiums he'd ever played in! More recent wins included the 2015 CONFLICT, 37-29 win over UCF and the 2015 20-17 win over 13th ranked Houston. I will never forget the heart breaking 24-21 loss to The Michigan Wolverines at the Rent before 42,000 fans in 2013. Then there were those Road wins against Iowa State, South Carolina and a relatively unknown school - called the Fighting Irish!

UCONN may be down but not dead. There are better days ahead so please take your FCS narrative and go watch a CCSU or a SCSU game. Nothing wrong with those schools if you enjoy watch FCS football. I should know, I played for CCSU.

Here is the history of Rentscher field. Its success to date has been mostly all UCONN.o
Way too much effort and sacrifice to throw in the towel!

Stadium Timeline: The Long Road To Rentschler Field

If folks had your FCS philosophy, many of us never would have had the chance to be that excited about UCONN football. I don't know about all Boneyarders and fans but I'm looking forward to more of those great victories at the FBS level in the years to come,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32