Missouri presser | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Missouri presser

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 12 has a big problem, because two of their biggest markets (Kansas City and St. Louis) have said goodbye with Missouri. The smart move for the Big East football schools is to propose a merger of the Big East, Big 12 and BYU.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I posted this in response to an older thread I started on the Football board, but I think this is the far more appropriate venue:

First, I apologize for being the guy who revives his own thread. But the Mizzou press conference to me said " The Big12 - we're over it. If we have to we'll go to the SEC, but we'd just assume go to B1G if you'd just come around to asking."

Which, if Mizzou can leverage them into an offer, and I think they can, this puts both the SEC and the B1G at an awkward / unstable 13 team configuration with presumably 3 moves left each, which if I were Deleaney, I would play two more immediately.

First, why do I take Mizzou if I am the B1G?...because it can have the effect of forcing ND's hand. If you take them together with UConn and Rutgers you have: 1) added / further penetrated 26.8 million homes for your network (NY/NJ/PA - 19M; StL/KC - 4.8M; Hart/NH/Stam: 3M) vastly increasing the value of your network and payout to your members; 2) taken away the ACC's presumed backstop in UConn/Rutgers; 3)opened the ACC for poaching. With one spot remaining you make overtures to Texas (which you don't plan to get, but hang on).

This single move then forces the SEC to make offensive moves to bring Texas into the conference and keep the B1G out of their backyard. Assuming for the sake of argument that the SEC poaches one of UL / WVU (which I personally think UL brings more to the table) then I believe that the SEC also pulls one team from the ACC - which I won't bother to speculate because frankly it doesn't matter to this scenario. Now the SEC is also at 15 teams and the ACC is actually weaker by adding Cuse / Pitt and losing one of FSU/VT/Clemson and is sitting at 13 teams.

By this point I have to imagine, despite the decades of tradition, that ND needs to make a decision - especially given that the B1G is openly courting Texas for the final spot. And looking around at a stable 15 team conference that still offers them fair exposure to the NE (PSU / Rutgers / UConn) versus an ACC that with legitimately 2 strong football teams needing to add an additional 3 members that may consist of the likes of WVU and who knows who else at that point, I can't imagine them not signing up. And to address the question, would the B1G really want Texas? I would think no. ND, in this scenario, would be the coalescing factor that unites and completely penetrates NYC and, let's not forget Chicago, a market of 9.4 millino covered by Northwestern / Illinois but, like NYC with UConn/Rutgers, needing that glue to sow it up.

Texas falls to the SEC, Pac-10 gets OK / OK State and may even stay at 14, the Big12 scoops up the remaining Big East / independents, and the ACC can suck balls.

Just this guys .02.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I simply can not imagine Ohio State at the Rent...

Reaction Score
Looks like they are history. Worst case scenario for UConn. Here we come, CAA.
Wait, you've been arguing that all we have to do is pledge to stick together, invite UMass and Houston, and the big east will survive.

Wait, you also said Texas A&M wasn't going to the SEC.

Nevermind.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
@KySportsRadioMatt Jones

by Mengus22

Two sources tell KSR to expect the Big 12 to issue an invite to Louisville by the end of the week.

Reaction Score
The big monkey wrench in your proposed plan: The LHN for this to work, it needs to go bye bye...and there is zero chance of that happening.

I posted this in response to an older thread I started on the Football board, but I think this is the far more appropriate venue:

First, I apologize for being the guy who revives his own thread. But the Mizzou press conference to me said " The Big12 - we're over it. If we have to we'll go to the SEC, but we'd just assume go to B1G if you'd just come around to asking."

Which, if Mizzou can leverage them into an offer, and I think they can, this puts both the SEC and the B1G at an awkward / unstable 13 team configuration with presumably 3 moves left each, which if I were Deleaney, I would play two more immediately.

First, why do I take Mizzou if I am the B1G?...because it can have the effect of forcing ND's hand. If you take them together with UConn and Rutgers you have: 1) added / further penetrated 26.8 million homes for your network (NY/NJ/PA - 19M; StL/KC - 4.8M; Hart/NH/Stam: 3M) vastly increasing the value of your network and payout to your members; 2) taken away the ACC's presumed backstop in UConn/Rutgers; 3)opened the ACC for poaching. With one spot remaining you make overtures to Texas (which you don't plan to get, but hang on).

This single move then forces the SEC to make offensive moves to bring Texas into the conference and keep the B1G out of their backyard. Assuming for the sake of argument that the SEC poaches one of UL / WVU (which I personally think UL brings more to the table) then I believe that the SEC also pulls one team from the ACC - which I won't bother to speculate because frankly it doesn't matter to this scenario. Now the SEC is also at 15 teams and the ACC is actually weaker by adding Cuse / Pitt and losing one of FSU/VT/Clemson and is sitting at 13 teams.

By this point I have to imagine, despite the decades of tradition, that ND needs to make a decision - especially given that the B1G is openly courting Texas for the final spot. And looking around at a stable 15 team conference that still offers them fair exposure to the NE (PSU / Rutgers / UConn) versus an ACC that with legitimately 2 strong football teams needing to add an additional 3 members that may consist of the likes of WVU and who knows who else at that point, I can't imagine them not signing up. And to address the question, would the B1G really want Texas? I would think no. ND, in this scenario, would be the coalescing factor that unites and completely penetrates NYC and, let's not forget Chicago, a market of 9.4 millino covered by Northwestern / Illinois but, like NYC with UConn/Rutgers, needing that glue to sow it up.

Texas falls to the SEC, Pac-10 gets OK / OK State and may even stay at 14, the Big12 scoops up the remaining Big East / independents, and the ACC can suck balls.

Just this guys .02.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Then watch how fast Pitino releases statements saying Louisville is just doing what's best for them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wait, you've been arguing that all we have to do is pledge to stick together, invite UMass and Houston, and the big east will survive.

Wait, you also said Texas A&M wasn't going to the SEC.

Nevermind.

I missed the press release where anyone followed my advice on sticking together. BTW, Jurich was saying the same thing, but what does he know?

Your advice has been "beg harder", and it has taken us this far. I guess that is all any of us got now.

Reaction Score

Just this guys .02.

i have toggled between theories wrt the b1g recently, though i am now firmly (for the moment) of the belief that delaney is not interested in the northeast as a first option - he is interested in unc, uva and umd. they are the 3 big, public ivy research universities on the east coast, and all in demographically attractive markets. my theory is that he is hoping the acc will become destabilized by losing fsu and clemson - so that these 3 acc founders will decide to set their history aside and join the b1g. it is a longshot i think, but i believe (based upon nothing more than blind guesswork) this is what he really wants (besides ND of course).

this is the only thing that makes sense: delaney is by all accounts competent and actively monitoring the expansion landscape; the b1g is in prime position to take who they want including ru/uconn; the b1g is truly in danger of losing the northeast if the acc takes ru/uconn; the acc has indicated through sources that ru/uconn is next on their radar. it appears the b1g would need to swoop in lest they lose the northeast forever, yet the b1g is not moving. contradictions do not exist.

the northeast is a screen for what they really want, and what they really want is only going to happen if the acc loses enough football brands to make uva/unc simultaneously nervous. and i think the acc knows this - or maybe i am completely wrong.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
i have toggled between theories wrt the b1g recently, though i am now firmly (for the moment) of the belief that delaney is not interested in the northeast as a first option - he is interested in unc, uva and umd. they are the 3 big, public ivy research universities on the east coast, and all in demographically attractive markets. my theory is that he is hoping the acc will become destabilized by losing fsu and clemson - so that these 3 acc founders will decide to set their history aside and join the b1g. it is a longshot i think, but i believe (based upon nothing more than blind guesswork) this is what he really wants (besides ND of course).

this is the only thing that makes sense: delaney is by all accounts competent and actively monitoring the expansion landscape; the b1g is in prime position to take who they want including ru/uconn; the b1g is truly in danger of losing the northeast if the acc takes ru/uconn; the acc has indicated through sources that ru/uconn is next on their radar. it appears the b1g would need to swoop in lest they lose the northeast forever, yet the b1g is not moving. contradictions do not exist.

the northeast is a screen for what they really want, and what they really want is only going to happen if the acc loses enough football brands to make uva/unc simultaneously nervous. and i think the acc knows this - or maybe i am completely wrong.
Good points and good discussion. I had never considered UVA/UNC/UMD but that is as good/likely a scenario as any other.

Reaction Score
Good points and good discussion. I had never considered UVA/UNC/UMD but that is as good/likely a scenario as any other.
This would probably mean Uconn to the ACC but my feeling is very little else happens. Missouri stays in the Big 12 along with Texas; FSU, Clemson, VA Tech stay in the ACC and we are stuck in what is left of the BE with the addition of a couple of football members that will do nothing for basketball. How excited would we be for a big basketball matchup with Boise State in Idaho?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big Ten does not give a rat's ass about the northeast. That's media babble.

The Big Ten also doesn't panic, doesn't make rushed moves and they don't seem to make mistakes - it all comes from dealing from a position of power.

They can do nothing and continue on quite happily.

Reaction Score
Sometimes the best choice to make is do nothing. That's my guess with the Big 10. They want ND and Texas. The rest, no, including Rutgers and UConn.

As far as UNC and UVA to the Big 10, it will never happen.

The Big Ten does not give a rat's ass about the northeast. That's media babble.

The Big Ten also doesn't panic, doesn't make rushed moves and they don't seem to make mistakes - it all comes from dealing from a position of power.

They can do nothing and continue on quite happily.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The smart move for the Big East football schools is to propose a merger of the Big East, Big 12 and BYU.

All that's left is for Rutgers and UConn to pimp the NYC market and their MSA which is freaking impressive. Oklahoma and Texas will love Yankee Stadium. Thye have lots of alumni in the area. Who doesn't leave the South to come North these days? Oh.......that few....

Reaction Score

UVA/UNC/UMD to the Big whatever? That maybe the funniest thing I have read in this rather ridiculous process and conjecture. Do you really think any of the three schools you mention have any real desire to be anything other than SOUTHERN U's? MD maybe but you're smoking dope if you think UVA and UNC move anywhere. If you think the ND alums have an impact on what happens at Notre Dame, you need to look at VA and NC, NO way they leave the ACC even if FSU or whomever leave. Completely different culture.

Reaction Score

Southerners ain't moving to the Midwest. Maryland maybe.

But now Delaney has been boxed out by Missouri. What does he have left? Maryland?

The ACC could do a real hit job on the Big10 right now by demanding schools give up their TV rights, and that would totally freeze out the Big10.

Reaction Score
But now Delaney has been boxed out by Missouri.

Sez who?
If the B10 wants them, Mizzou would go to there in a second. In fact, it's entirely possible that much of this talk about going to the SEC is just MO's attempt to force the B10's hand.

I will not be entirely surprised if the B10 balks and MO decides to stay put.

Reaction Score
Sez who?
If the B10 wants them, Mizzou would go to there in a second. In fact, it's entirely possible that much of this talk about going to the SEC is just MO's attempt to force the B10's hand.

I will not be entirely surprised if the B10 balks and MO decides to stay put.

The SEC keeps TV rights for 12 years as does the Big10. There are no exit fees.

So, you're saying the Big10 will invite Missouri in and subsidize it for a dozen years with KC and StL markets contributing nothing to the Big10s bottom line?

I don't think that's in the cards.

I've said this before about the Big10 and SEC: Those are Hotel California conferences. You can check out any time you want, but you can't ever leave.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I missed the press release where anyone followed my advice on sticking together. BTW, Jurich was saying the same thing, but what does he know?

Your advice has been "beg harder", and it has taken us this far. I guess that is all any of us got now.

The part you don't get, never have gotten, and never will get is that it wouldn't mater one iota if anyone pledged unwavering loyalty to the conference the entire time. It was ripe for the picking, and was gutted. It was going to continue being gutted until the bigger, stronger, more powerful/commercially appealing conferences decided they were full from their succulent meal of what was left over.

Press releases hold no weight, water, or binding action. They are empty calories that change nothing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The part you don't get, never have gotten, and never will get is that it wouldn't mater one iota if anyone pledged unwavering loyalty to the conference the entire time. It was ripe for the picking, and was gutted. It was going to continue being gutted until the bigger, stronger, more powerful/commercially appealing conferences decided they were full from their succulent meal of what was left over.

Press releases hold no weight, water, or binding action. They are empty calories that change nothing.

None of this needed to happen. The Big East was in a great position, and then the football schools turned on each other and everything instantly went to s***. Trust is critical in any type of organization, and when it is gone, it is very difficult to get back.

But hey, take a lap now that UConn's athletic program and national profile is in the toilet. Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom