Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, but last year scrambling was necessary, and other than the late signing of Anna, the rest of Geno’s moves had little to no impact for a team that went 29-3.
Is there any real doubt that Geno can field a 30 win team next season with what he has coming back and coming in? I’m not adverse to bringing in a solid “impact player” via transfer, but it really has to be one very talented player, before I would consider cutting into the PT and development of Anna, Aubrey and the incoming freshmen, who would be the most likely to be impacted.
Geno is not in this for 30 win seasons! Aubrey and Anna are not delicate flowers who are afraid of competition. UCONN is swimming in the deep end of the WCBB talent pool, doggy paddling is not going to cut it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Initial take was disappointment, shock and to be candid a bit of betrayal. Main reason I mostly abandoned the men's game was too many 'one and dones' or staying short of the four years and that the game was played below the rim, where it resembled basketball and not gymnastics. Then my selfishness turned to Megan and what was best for her and that this was her choice, no one else's. Wishing her nothing but the very best in the WNBA where the reigns will loosen some and we may see an even more dynamic and impactful player than we experienced in her three years with us. (UCONN) She wore the # 3 well.

Reaction Score
Some shittyy comments in here from people saying they are not too sad or dismissing her away. This is our teams leading scorer this year and best player by quite a bit. I am quite sad about this and any fan of the team should be.

Reaction Score
That is rather short sighted. The roster is not at nine by design, it is actually at 11 with some major scrambling to get it there. That major scrabbling included the addition of Evelyn as a graduate transfer and the addition of Evina as a transfer_BOTH players were expected to be contributors to this team. Batouly was reinjured after having a healthy summer and was also expected to be a contributor. The scrambiling also included the signing of Anna well after the American recruits had committed. Most importantly even with a roster size of 11 Sedona Prince visited UCONN as a transfer from Texas. UCONN needs player, this idea of standing pat is going to get UCONN run over at a minimum or cause us to lose out on some very good players.
Agree. If I'm Auriemma, I'm looking for a high-ceiling, underclass big or an international post to fill that hole next to ONO next season. I like Edwards a lot but while she's developing, they need boards and interior D now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I mean theoretically you CAN manage to play an entire season with 5 players so I don’t really understand the point you’re making w/having 9 this season. I mean they were woefully short handed in certain areas and had their most regular season losses in what a decade? Also there is a big difference between carrying 9 or 10 players and not filling all the scholarships.

You also keep repeating this same mantra over and over about not wanting to ruffle any feathers of the girls who already committed and I just don’t understand it. You recruit the best players period. You bring in as much talent as possible period. Talent wins out and you need as many on-court options as possible. If a current commit decides to decommit because we signed another girl then let her....probably means she wasn’t a real Geno type player anyways.

I’m not trying to be snarky I just sometimes people here gloss over the fact that this is a revenue producing sport for this University. You are talking real money that matters to the school so imo you don’t even remotely worry about hurting some little hot shot recruits feelings....you do whatever you think gives you the chance to win the most games.
Just a couple points. UConn lost 3 games last season and 4 during their championship season of 2013. I’m not sure how long you’ve been following UConn WBB, but Geno has always been about making a commitment to the players he recruits both on and off the basketball court first and foremost. If you think this has more to do with University revenue, it’s pretty clear that you just don’t get it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Initial take was disappointment, shock and to be candid a bit of betrayal. Main reason I mostly abandoned the men's game was too many 'one and dones' or staying short of the four years and that the game was played below the rim, where it resembled basketball and not gymnastics. Then my selfishness turned to Megan and what was best for her and that this was her choice, no one else's. Wishing her nothing but the very best in the WNBA where the reigns will loosen some and we may see an even more dynamic and impactful player than we experienced in her three years with us. (UCONN) She wore the # 3 well.
Betrayal? A kid is about to realize her dream and you see betrayal. PLEASE GET A GRIP!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno is not in this for 30 win seasons! Aubrey and Anna are not delicate flowers who are afraid of competition. UCONN is swimming in the deep end of the WCBB talent pool, doggy paddling is not going to cut it.
I agree. Geno is not in this for 30 win seasons, which is exactly why he doesn’t need to scour the transfer portals for a bunch of hired guns and one year wonders.

Reaction Score

Shocking, especially as Geno said he thought no changes as of 26 hours ago...

Totally shocked and disbelief. I’m not sure she is ready based on how she played against the elite teams. I wish her well. I wonder if this will put more pressure on Williams. It will open up another slot for a starter and provide more competition. If I were a betting man I would say it just about guarantees starting roles for Erving and Page.

Reaction Score
Just a couple points. UConn lost 3 games last season and 4 during their championship season of 2013. I’m not sure how long you’ve been following UConn WBB, but Geno has always been about making a commitment to the players he recruits both on and off the basketball court first and foremost. If you think this has more to do with University revenue, it’s pretty clear that you just don’t get it.

There is a difference between making a mutual commitment with a player and promising a player you will not recruit anyone else at their position (which I guarantee you he’s never done) and if you think Geno takes one players feelings into consideration more than the teams success then you may not get it.

Going into a season w/10 players willingly is inexcusable in today’s landscape. Agree to disagree.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree. Geno is not in this for 30 win seasons, which is exactly why he doesn’t need to scour the transfer portals for a bunch of hired guns and one year wonders.
Not suggesting that GENO scour anything! Geno can just wait in his office for those "impact players" you mentioned previously to give him a call. Maybe they already have. Or he can have one of the current players send out a tweet for walkons like Stewie had to. Unless those walkons would be too much competition for some of the existing players.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Needs to, maybe not. But the previous three champions all won with huge help from transfers. ND doesn't win without Shepard, Baylor doesn't without Jackson, and South Carolina--fortunate draw and all--doesn't without Gray.

Reaction Score
The situations of Jackie Young or Morgan Tuck are not remotely similar to Walker’s case. They won championships and went out with their starters with nothing to prove. Walker had a lot left to accomplish.

All im saying is there are plenty of talented young Women who dream of going to UConn. Hopefully we do a better job identifying the ones that want to leave their mark which has been the norm of the program since it’s existence.

That sounds like "unfinished business", you mean like Sabrina at Oregon...how did that turn out?

Not sure how Geno or anyone else can do a better job identifying the ones that want to leave, I do know when recruits choose to play for UConn they always give the same reasons. The Women's basketball world has changed, we might as well get used to it.

I'm also somewhat shocked Megan has chosen to turn pro. I am one that believed she would not go Pro due in part Evina came to UConn because of Megan, but what do I know.

Reaction Score
Don't usually post but here goes- to those saying if there's no WNBA season, there's always playing overseas. REALLY?- in China's league or Italy's league? Some foreign leagues clearly won't be functional, which will tighten up the roster spaces ( often limited for US players) MY 2 cents.

Reaction Score
Needs to, maybe not. But the previous three champions all won with huge help from transfers. ND doesn't win without Shepard, Baylor doesn't without Jackson, and South Carolina--fortunate draw and all--doesn't without Gray.

Thank you. It’s amazing how people can diminish the impact of “hired gun” transfers when a program that prides itself on “team first” has now been burned by 2 players in 3 years leaving early for individual reasons when the program had a legit shot at a national championship the following year. I’d take a Jess Shepard or Chloe Jackson that wanted to be here badly for a year to win a championship in a heart beat than a player who bails out right before it was time to face the pressure of leaving your mark on a historic program.

GG

Reaction Score
Good luck Megan, it was great watching you play for three years. I was starting to love that turnaround jumper you were developing. Was hoping to see more next year at Yukon but I’ll have to watch you in the WNBA. Best of luck.

JBK

Reaction Score
Agreed.
She did get better each year, but just never seemed like she was having fun and enjoying the game. I think playing at UCONN brings incredible pressure both physically and more mentally. I do not think many players appreciate it until they age, mature and look back at what Geno was trying to accomplish. She may be a top 10 pick this year, and who knows - may have moved up just a few slots next year .

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What top talent transfer is going to take a chance on coming to UConn and risk sitting on the bench for much of the season? Evelyn and Z did not play as much as the players you mentioned who transferred to other teams. Some players should not have to go through some of the things they go through to play at UConn when they would not have to do so on another top team. UConn's system is too tough for many to learn in a single season.

Reaction Score
Geno is very supportive to Megan]s decision. That is important,

UConn coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement. "When you have an opportunity to reach a certain goal that you set for yourself, I think it's important that you have an opportunity to take it.

"Meg's decided this is the right time for her to take advantage of this opportunity. Obviously, she had an incredible season this year and is incredibly talented. We support her 100 percent, and we're going to support her going forward. We wish her the best of luck as she begins her pro career."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom