Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was she truly going to reach her "potential" playing another year at UCONN?

I don't know about potential because players also improve in wnba even UCONN players. I do think she could have improved greatly at UCONN and that this was a business decision -- and a good one.

I don't believe any of that stuff about killer instinct taht she didn't have that others post etc however. She is a terrific player. Great kid. Best wishes for her. I wish her the best. IMO she was potential POY next year. But I can understand if she gets hurt etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No doubt Megan would have improved while playing another season at UCONN because she has improved every year while playing at there. Achieving her potential is entirely a different matter. For some BY posters Megan would and has fallen short of achieving that "potential' because she has failed to lead UCONN to multiple championships, was not a major contributor or starter as a freshman and not named an AA as a sophomore. It an insanely high bar we tend to place on #1 HS recruits. Her potential is to be among the top WNBA picks and clearly Megan will achieved that.
If she is among the top 5 picks, it makes sense for her to leave. She likely will be. Personally, I'd have loved for her to stay as I feel we'd be a very, very tough team with her but it is her call. I wish her well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Megan has always been something of an enigma. Quietly intense, she seldom let’s you know what she is thinking either on or off the court. Considering just how quickly following the end of the season she announced her decision, I have to believe she had made the decision to leave some time ago.

Reaction Score
Unmmm is Geno spending enough time with these players?

how could he misread Azura and Megan so wrong?!? He just said yesterday he didn’t anticipate this happening.

and I’m sorry but why is this becoming such a trend to forgo your college eligibility for pro basketball that simply doesn’t generate the attention and star power of the college game?! I couldn’t name any of the pro teams current UConn players play on.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's been a somewhat tumultuous year and if Meg thinks she has had enough of the college team experience, so be it. The WNBA will surely have a draft and maybe the season has a delay and hopefully not a cancellation. Still waters run deep. I could never read Megan.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Megan has always been something of an enigma. Quietly intense, she seldom let’s you know what she is thinking either on or off the court. Considering just how quickly following the end of the season she announced her decision, I have to believe she had made the decision some time ago.

Maybe got annoyed that we called her the 'silent assassin' :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

how could he misread Azura and Megan so wrong?!? He just said yesterday he didn’t anticipate this happening.

and I’m sorry but why is this becoming such a trend to forgo your college eligibility for pro basketball that simply doesn’t generate the attention and star power of the college game?! I couldn’t name any of the pro teams current UConn players play on.

You're making too much out of it. They make a fortune overseas - get to travel - possibly live a life they've dreamed about -- realizing if they get hurt it all comes crashing down.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorry to see her go, but can understand the decision. Even if the W does not have a season, the foreign leagues could.

I would have thought it would make more sense to wait until the deadline for declaring just because of the uncertainty on if and when a WNBA draft will occur this spring.

If the draft/season gets canceled for the W, I could also see the NCAA allowing juniors who declare to regain eligibility for a senior season. That is much less problematic than giving seniors a fifth year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am flabbergasted. Why turn pro if the chance of a pro league running is negligible? US or international. Finish her degree, work on some parts of her game, enter the draft with a weaker class, play with her best friend while being the unquestioned leader of the team. etc. etc. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
UCONN isn't like North Carolina, the players actually are required to go to class. I'll keep saying this until someone understands my point. A lot of kids just don't like being in college, that is the reason the dropout rate is so high.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are either spitballing or venting here, either way I don't think Geno spending more time with the players would have changed anything. I 'm not sure the players would want that either.

Reaction Score
Unless it’s a true impact player, Geno should stand pat. Even before Megan’s announcement, I felt Aaliyah could earn the starting spot at PF, moving Megan to the W. That PF job will now be a battle between Aaliyah & Aubrey. Anna, Christyn, Evina & possibly Mir will battle it out for PT at W.

Stand pat with 10 players? Sorry but I 100% disagree and in fact I think this would be borderline negligent. 2 injuries and a freshman in GA’s doghouse and you now essentially have 7 players would better not get into foul trouble. Look at ND this past season you have to prepare for everything and unfortunately that includes AEH and EDD type transfers where they show up on campus then bolt after a few weeks.

You fill as many scholarships with your type players as you can and don’t worry about PT or making players happy or loyalty for the sake of it...especially in today’s landscape.

Reaction Score
I’m sure Diana T, Maya, Stewie, Aja, Sabrina, Lou, Pheesa, Arike, etc could have made a “fortune” abroad too after 3 years.

These players will never be as big or have it as good as they have it in college. Especially UConn. I mean the big deal 5 years ago was Skylar Diggins and I haven’t heard a word about her in years.

We used to avoid these situations. Maybe when Geno talks about recruiting mistakes he’s not just talking talent. Regardless of what some will have you believe in this thread it is highly unusual for UConn players to leave eligibility on the table when there is unfinished business. Perhaps kids are changing. Or the coaches have let their guard down.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If she is among the top 5 picks, it makes sense for her to leave. She likely will be. Personally, I'd have loved for her to stay as I feel we'd be a very, very tough team with her but it is her call. I wish her well.
Napheesa Collier was pick #6 in her draft class and was WNBA Rookie of the Year.
The opportunity to play is far more important than the position in which the player is drafted. Megan will be fine in the WNBA.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dang huge loss for you guys but congrats to Megan. I posted that she was draft eligible a couple of times but never saw her leaving after this year unless UCONN won a title. Another year probably wouldve helped her stock and overall game, but she'll still be a high pick and can make big bucks right away. All the best to her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I’m sure Diana T, Maya, Stewie, Aja, Sabrina, Lou, Pheesa, Arike, etc could have made a “fortune” abroad too after 3 years.

These players will never be as big or have it as good as they have it in college. Especially UConn. I mean the big deal 5 years ago was Skylar Diggins and I haven’t heard a word about her in years.

We used to avoid these situations. Maybe when Geno talks about recruiting mistakes he’s not just talking talent. Regardless of what some will have you believe in this thread it is highly unusual for UConn players to leave eligibility on the table when there is unfinished business. Perhaps kids are changing. Or the coaches have let their guard down.

You must not follow the players after college if you havent heard about Diggins since she was in college.

Reaction Score

I suspect Skylar makes way more money off the court than on the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m sure Diana T, Maya, Stewie, Aja, Sabrina, Lou, Pheesa, Arike, etc could have made a “fortune” abroad too after 3 years. These players will never be as big or have it as good as they have it in college. Especially UConn. I mean the big deal 5 years ago was Skylar Diggins and I haven’t heard a word about her in years.

Ok I can by that you haven't heard of about Skylar Diggins in years but do the names Jewell Loyd and Jackie Young ring a bell?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Nope. I find the WNBA unwatachable as I also much prefer men’s college hoops to the bad product that is the NBA.

Diggins is a bonafide star in the league. All WNBA and All Star awards. Married with a kid, massive social media following (1m+ on instagram). Should be on the Olympic team. I think she (and many others) is as popular and recognizable as she was in college.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stand pat with 10 players? Sorry but I 100% disagree and in fact I think this would be borderline negligent. 2 injuries and a freshman in GA’s doghouse and you now essentially have 7 players would better not get into foul trouble. Look at ND this past season you have to prepare for everything and unfortunately that includes AEH and EDD type transfers where they show up on campus then bolt after a few weeks.

You fill as many scholarships with your type players as you can and don’t worry about PT or making players happy or loyalty for the sake of it...especially in today’s landscape.
Just to be clear, UConn somehow managed this season with only 9 players, and UConn has never filled all their available scholarships. The other real problem with bringing in transfers is that it shortchanges the players who are already there while sending a mixed message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom