Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN isn't like North Carolina, the players actually are required to go to class. I'll keep saying this until someone understands my point. A lot of kids just don't like being in college, that is the reason the dropout rate is so high.
BINGO!

Reaction Score
Ok I can by that you haven't heard of about Skylar Diggins in years but do the names Jewell Loyd and Jackie Young ring a bell?

The situations of Jackie Young or Morgan Tuck are not remotely similar to Walker’s case. They won championships and went out with their starters with nothing to prove. Walker had a lot left to accomplish.

All im saying is there are plenty of talented young Women who dream of going to UConn. Hopefully we do a better job identifying the ones that want to leave their mark which has been the norm of the program since it’s existence.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Morgan herself told us "as of right now my plan is to return for a 5th season". That was in January and many (most) of us ignored the "as of right now" part of her statement.
Yea. Not sure if Morgan was truly undecided at that time or that she didn’t want to become a distraction during UConn’s 4th straight championship run.

I do recall during the post game championship celebration when a reporter asked Morgan about turning pro that Stewie jumped into the middle of the conversation to deflect the question. I knew then that Morgan was turning pro and she confirmed it next day with her announcement on ESPN.

Reaction Score
The situations of Jackie Young or Morgan Tuck are not remotely similar to Walker’s case. They won championships and went out with their starters with nothing to prove. Walker had a lot left to accomplish.

All im saying is there are plenty of talented young Women who dream of going to UConn. Hopefully we do a better job identifying the ones that want to leave their mark which has been the norm of the program since it’s existence.

Before you continue down this rabbit hole, maybe take a look at Geno's statement and see if you change your mind.

Statement from Geno Auriemma
During a player's college career, they're working towards certain goals, and when you have an opportunity to reach a certain goal that you set for yourself, I think it's important that you have an opportunity to take it. Meg's decided this is the right time for her to take advantage of this opportunity. Obviously, she had an incredible season this year and is incredibly talented. We support her 100 percent and we're going to support her going forward. We wish her the best of luck as she begins her pro career.

Reaction Score
Was expecting this for a while and have posted as much.....Hopefully she plays in the WNBA's AAC division as she hasn't done well against the very top teams...unfortunately her personality does not lend itself to endorsement deals..but she made her choice and I hope she does well...we fans will move on quickly..........anyone know where I can buy toilet paper?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Jackie Young is exactly the same as Megan. They both left after 3 years. Morgan is different. She left after 4, with a degree, after missing most of a season with knee problems.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, UConn somehow managed this season with only 9 players, and UConn has never filled all their available scholarships. The other real problem with bringing in transfers is that it shortchanges the players who are already there while sending a mixed message.

Next year looks a lot tougher now IMO. Guessing the lineup will be:

Backcourt-Bueckers/Westbrook/Makurat/Williams
Frontcourt-ONO/McLean/Edwards/Griffin

But that is also assuming freshmen pick up the learning curve quickly which hasnt been the case for a while. Players like Walker, ONO, Griffin and Dangerfield never seemed to really find their flow as freshmen even though their performance was needed IMO. Next year you'll need good production from your freshmen.

Transfers are another option but recently they have not assimilated all that well at UCONN (ex. Butler, Adebayo, Camara, Stevens). Westbrook's ability to assimilate in Geno's system remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good luck to Meg. I don’t think her game is ready for WNBA but hope I’m wrong. I also wonder if the issue is mute: will there be a WNBA season?

Actually, I don’t think losing Meg hurts UConn all that much. She was primarily a great shooter who felt the pressure to score that she took too many bad shots.

Those of you who object to me praising Anna can stop reading now. Even before I learned of Meg’s decision, as an old coach I would have built the team around Anna next year. She has the makings of a Sabrina. She has every shot in the book, she is a tremendous passer, a very good rebounder who has shown a vertical standing leap (as in taking the ball away from Hebard demonstrated), and a much better defender than given credit for. And she is a team player.

Anna will see to it that Christyn lights up the scoreboard and she will feed Liv under the basket. I see an opposing team screwing themselves into the floor as Anna and Paige play catch with each other before delivering the dish. I see both feeding a cutting Aubrey to the basket or Evina. I see Edwards and Muhl blossoming. And the Fudd I see in the future ain’t Elmer. The good times are coming.

Reaction Score
Was expecting this for a while and have posted as much.....Hopefully she plays in the WNBA's AAC division as she hasn't done well against the very top teams...unfortunately her personality does not lend itself to endorsement deals..but she made her choice and I hope she does well...we fans will move on quickly..........anyone know where I can buy toilet paper?

Low blow.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, UConn somehow managed this season with only 9 players, and UConn has never filled all their available scholarships. The other real problem with bringing in transfers is that it shortchanges the players who are already there while sending a mixed message.
That is rather short sighted. The roster is not at nine by design, it is actually at 11 with some major scrambling to get it there. That major scrabbling included the addition of Evelyn as a graduate transfer and the addition of Evina as a transfer_BOTH players were expected to be contributors to this team. Batouly was reinjured after having a healthy summer and was also expected to be a contributor. The scrambiling also included the signing of Anna well after the American recruits had committed. Most importantly even with a roster size of 11 Sedona Prince visited UCONN as a transfer from Texas. UCONN needs player, this idea of standing pat is going to get UCONN run over at a minimum or cause us to lose out on some very good players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
On the plus side it opens up ample opportunity for Griffin and Makurat to get starting minutes. And the team will be loaded headed into 2021

Next year looks a lot tougher now IMO. Guessing the lineup will be:

Backcourt-Bueckers/Westbrook/Makurat/Griffin
Frontcourt-ONO/McLean/Edwards

But that is also assuming freshmen pick up the learning curve quickly which hasnt been the case for a while. Players like Walker, ONO, Griffin and Dangerfield never seemed to really find their flow as freshmen even though their performance was needed IMO. Next year you'll need good production from your freshmen.

Transfers are another option but recently they have not assimilated all that well at UCONN (ex. Butler, Adebayo, Camara, Stevens). Westbrook's ability to assimilate in Geno's system remains to be seen.
Aubrey will play up front next season in all likelihood.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I am flabbergasted. Why turn pro if the chance of a pro league running is negligible? US or international. Finish her degree, work on some parts of her game, enter the draft with a weaker class, play with her best friend while being the unquestioned leader of the team. etc. etc. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm surprised she made the decision so quickly especially with everything going on. She could always change her mind too since the draft likely ain't happening for a while and who knows if the WNBA happens at all this year.

Reaction Score
Sorry to see Meg leave but her call. Any athlete in any sport has a right to do it for a living if there is a market for their services. From a strictly fan perspective I find rooting for a team less enjoyable when rosters turn over quickly. On the men's side the best players are gone after a year or two and it's basically a new team every year. As pro opportunities expand for the women we'll see more leave early to the pros or even directly from HS as the men do. The opportunities aren't there yet but I have to say I wouldn't enjoy or be as invested in rooting for UConn if they became like the best men's team. From the athlete's point of view this shouldn't matter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I"m pretty sure "we" don't get to identify them.
I'm positive ALL of them come to UCONN wanting to make a mark.

Reaction Score

Obviously, in her mind Walker had nothing left to accomplish.

Reaction Score
I am flabbergasted. Why turn pro if the chance of a pro league running is negligible? US or international. Finish her degree, work on some parts of her game, enter the draft with a weaker class, play with her best friend while being the unquestioned leader of the team. etc. etc. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I agree. And probably win a NC along the way. It makes no sense to me. I wonder if the "Paige Fever" made her think that she would not be the center of the attention next year by the media and that would effect her draft chances. Or that she was doing Evina a favor by leaving so Evina could be the star. Or maybe having a good game against Team USA made her think she was ready. By the way, she's not. However, if money was an overriding factor, you can't earn it as a Huskie. Hey, in relative terms she's still a kid. Kids make mistakes.

Reaction Score
Remember Last year ND, Jackie Young went pro, and Erin Boley transferred early, with no good players in the senior class this year.

Fortunately we have a good freshman class next year. But still hope Geno can get some good transfers.

Best wish to Megan's whatever future she selects.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is rather short sighted. The roster is not at nine by design, it is actually at 11 with some major scrambling to get it there. That major scrabbling included the addition of Evelyn as a graduate transfer and the addition of Evina as a transfer_BOTH players were expected to be contributors to this team. Batouly was reinjured after having a healthy summer and was also expected to be a contributor. The scrambiling also included the signing of Anna well after the American recruits had committed. Most importantly even with a roster size of 11 Sedona Prince visited UCONN as a transfer from Texas. UCONN needs player, this idea of standing pat is going to get UCONN run over at a minimum or cause us to lose out on some very good players.
Yes, but last year scrambling was necessary, and other than the late signing of Anna, the rest of Geno’s moves had little to no impact for a team that went 29-3.

Is there any real doubt that Geno can field a 30 win team next season with what he has coming back and coming in? I’m not adverse to bringing in a solid “impact player” via transfer, but it really has to be one very talented player, before I would consider cutting into the PT and development of Anna, Aubrey and the incoming freshmen, who would be the most likely to be impacted.

Reaction Score

I mean theoretically you CAN manage to play an entire season with 5 players so I don’t really understand the point you’re making w/having 9 this season. I mean they were woefully short handed in certain areas and had their most regular season losses in what a decade? Also there is a big difference between carrying 9 or 10 players and not filling all the scholarships.

You also keep repeating this same mantra over and over about not wanting to ruffle any feathers of the girls who already committed and I just don’t understand it. You recruit the best players period. You bring in as much talent as possible period. Talent wins out and you need as many on-court options as possible. If a current commit decides to decommit because we signed another girl then let her....probably means she wasn’t a real Geno type player anyways.

I’m not trying to be snarky I just sometimes people here gloss over the fact that this is a revenue producing sport for this University. You are talking real money that matters to the school so imo you don’t even remotely worry about hurting some little hot shot recruits feelings....you do whatever you think gives you the chance to win the most games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom