Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Totally shocked and disbelief. I’m not sure she is ready based on how she played against the elite teams. I wish her well. I wonder if this will put more pressure on Williams. It will open up another slot for a starter and provide more competition. If I were a betting man I would say it just about guarantees starting roles for Erving and Page.
Who is Erving I’m drawing a blank?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I called Tonyc with the news...we were both shocked and sad. We agreed we have really enjoyed watching Megan play and grow as a player. She has emerged as a very tough, dependable player with a pro body in the college game. I think she and Williams got a bad rap because they underperformed in the three biggest games of the season. We have to keep in mind...the three best teams in the nation also have the best defensive sets as well. Both Megan and Williams were the focus of the other teams defense and their defensive strategy was planned to negate them. I believe it was a matter of coincidence that they had bad games against So. Carolina, Baylor and Oregon. I also believe if they had a second crack at either team that there would have been no way that they would have had a repeat performance. We lost those three games because of 1. The other team was offensively solid; 2. The other team's defense was very good 3. We had particularly bad shooting days. 4. We did not pass the ball well. These deficiencies were easily fixable and I had confidence in Geno and our coaching staff that we would have come prepared to play and we would have been a different team the second time around.

All the talk of Megan not being ready for the WNBA...poppycock...she is not only ready but I believe she will go fairly high in the draft and she will be on a team where she will have opportunities to contribute in her rookie season. She has the IQ, she has a WNBA body, she can shoot, drive the basket and her UConn experience will pay dividends in the "W". Her decision was made with her family...so, I believe there may be some very good reasons for her turning pro that we don't know about. Also, Geno's comments led me to believe despite his comments from yesterday that he knew this was coming. I wish Megan the very best of luck and hope she has a successful, injury-free rookie season.

Reaction Score
As it stands currently, subject to change at any time, next seasons team has a net loss of zero players from this year...10 was and 10 will be.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A poster on VolNation said UConn just got better. How about that. I wonder why they think that.

Reaction Score
Really I do not think that this team will be hurt much by her leaving. They need some more killer type players and I think some are here and more are coming next class. Good luck to her and Thank you MEG!

Reaction Score
UConn coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement. "When you have an opportunity to reach a certain goal that you set for yourself, I think it's important that you have an opportunity to take it.

"Meg's decided this is the right time for her to take advantage of this opportunity. Obviously, she had an incredible season this year and is incredibly talented. We support her 100 percent, and we're going to support her going forward. We wish her the best of luck as she begins her pro career."

So why would Dangerfield’s goal be any different? Is she the scholastic type? Gotta get that Master’s?

Reaction Score
I was told by a men’s player (not UConn) that we helped when he lived here who is now at a mid major that she was 100% going pro BEFORE the season. I was like she’s a solid player that’s hard to figure and he was like it’s def going to happen, her mind is made up. He grew up with Alterique and her in Va. I didn’t know Alterique was from Va. until the kid told me. Met Alterique after a game and we talked about all 3 of them.

this is 100% credible info. They talk all the time. I don’t post ever on women’s board but been on men’s board for 20 years.

she was very good, but this is not a death knell. Westbrook is better than people know.

g: bueckers muhl
2g: williams
3 westbrook

I’d take that over anyone. doesn’t even touch on point forward Ania!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The difference is that both Morgan and Azura stayed in college for 4 years.
No intended to compare the years in college since I'm well aware of this difference. The "something" I'm referring to is a circumstance that cause each player to change their mind. All three players sated an intent to stay only to later have a change of heart.

Reaction Score
So why would Dangerfield’s goal be any different? Is she the scholastic type? Gotta get that Master’s?
Geno's comment is specific for Megan's early leave. Nothing relates to Crystal at all.

Reaction Score
If she is among the top 5 picks, it makes sense for her to leave. She likely will be. Personally, I'd have loved for her to stay as I feel we'd be a very, very tough team with her but it is her call. I wish her well.
There are 3 from Oregon in the top 5... not sure she’s one of the other 2. She’s a tweener, and really could use more of a handle to be 2 or small 3. Good luck to her.

Reaction Score
Wow, just read this a few minutes ago, a definite shock. I like her a lot and wish her the very best going forward.

Now, my immediate thought when I think about next year - Aubrey Griffin is going to have an opportunity to be on the fast track toward further rapid development - and I think that is going to be a very good thing for Aubrey, UCONN, and us fans.

Reaction Score
No intended to compare the years in college since I'm well aware of this difference. The "something" I'm referring to is a circumstance that cause each player to change their mind. All three players sated an intent to stay only to later have a change of heart.
Yeah, we’re all allowed to do that in situations regarding our own lives and future.

Reaction Score
Really surprising to announce now given the WNBA has not even committed a 2020 season. Why commit so early?

Maybe the announcement signals her intent should there be a WNBA season. As long as she doesn’t turn in the NCAA eligibility renouncement paperwork (which shouldn’t be due until April 7), maybe she could still change her mind. But she had a statement ready and everything. Seems pretty serious about it.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Meg is pro ready and will have a great career, once the Association starts its season. Whenever that will be. Good luck kid, but remember, there is a downside. You'll always be a Husky for life! Go Meg!

Reaction Score
Good luck to Meg. I don’t think her game is ready for WNBA but hope I’m wrong. I also wonder if the issue is mute: will there be a WNBA season?

Actually, I don’t think losing Meg hurts UConn all that much. She was primarily a great shooter who felt the pressure to score that she took too many bad shots.

any time a team loses a player who averages 19.7 points and 8.4 rebounds per game it is a big loss..............she was UConn's number one go to player inside and outside.............thank goodness for Aaliyah Edwards, UConn will need her to contribute up front from day one.......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As it stands currently, subject to change at any time, next seasons team has a net loss of zero players from this year...10 was and 10 will be.
Shaking head.gif

2019-20 UCONN Roster (11) Walker, Dangerfield, Bent, Adebayo, Williams, ONO, Westbrook, Makurat, Irwin, Camara, Griffin

Reaction Score
Geno is very supportive to Megan]s decision. That is important,

UConn coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement. "When you have an opportunity to reach a certain goal that you set for yourself, I think it's important that you have an opportunity to take it.

"Meg's decided this is the right time for her to take advantage of this opportunity. Obviously, she had an incredible season this year and is incredibly talented. We support her 100 percent, and we're going to support her going forward. We wish her the best of luck as she begins her pro career."
Hurts less when you got so much coming in and coming back... To Huskies!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think what you saw is what you got!
I agree. I think what we got was at times pretty good, complementary and underappreciated. What she wasn't was the occasionally fire starter & vocal leader that was capable of dragging the team across that mythical finish line especially when times got tough. BTW that latter job description/player remain vacant and is mandatory for the team to return to prominence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom