McCallie steps in it; no "lessons learned;" UConn mention [merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

McCallie steps in it; no "lessons learned;" UConn mention [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe she's trying to get fired, tired of coaching and wants the buy out.
This is a very interesting take on things. In your opinion, is she digging her heels in and daring them to fire her? (Not speculating...) But I would like to think that Duke is smarter than this.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
LOL, what a great comment from the Duke Basketball Report:

You know, of all the people to get into a media scrap with, Auriemma is one to avoid. First, he's good at it. Second, he enjoys it. And third, no matter who you are, he's better than you are.
This sounds like nearly a direct quote from Diana that I recall, or certainly a very close paraphrase. True?

Reaction Score
Why all the drivel? All she needed to say was: "I wish her well".

Reaction Score
Liz Sherwood was told to lose weight to be in better shape for basketball because of minor knee problems and for later down the road in life.Geno said you are not playing until you lose some weight.After that she decided to transfer to Vanderbilt.

Reaction Score
Comparing Duke/McCallie (stated above posts) with UCONN/Geno to developing fringe players- - -
Liz Sherwood wound up at Vandy where she had 3 quiet years, sometimes starting, sometimes not, she played just hard enough to get by and in the games I saw she was an average player! Nothing she did stood out and made her a special player.
She did have some ability that with harder effort could have made her a much better player! But that would have meant she'd have to worked harder.
Kiana Robinson that transferred out same time as Liz S. She went to GA where she disappeared from view.
Everyone has potential but some never reach theirs because of many reasons and it's a shame that it doesn't mean much to those players and they settle for mediocrity!
Charde Houston was another that at UCONN she never sustained the top ability that was inside her! In the WNBA she had a few very good years that pointed out how much she didn't do in college!
Ann Strother was an interesting case that she was thrilled to be the 2nd or 3rd option to team mates, DT and Barbara Turner, but when DT graduated Ann was a reluctant star! Meanwhile Barb Turner shined!
Then you have Kara Wolters, Stef Dolson, Maria Conlon, Jessica Moore, Kelly Faris, Kelly Schumacher,Ketia Swanier, Kalana Greene, and Ashley Battle, that were not highly recruited and had very good to Star Quality careers at UCONN and some in the WNBA!

Charde Houston was a real enigma. She clearly had lots of talent, though she also played with asthma. I think she was the only major player at UConn who got worse over time, not better. I couldn't believe how many times she would get called for traveling when she moved her pivot foot underneath. And the fouls. Coach Geno put her in, and a few minutes later, took her right back out. She was also one of those rare UConn players who was much better as a pro. She did have some fine years- not superstar years- but strong years as a pro when she was an important part of her team.

Very strange.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Liz Sherwood was told to lose weight to be in better shape for basketball because of minor knee problems and for later down the road in life.Geno said you are not playing until you lose some weight.After that she decided to transfer to Vanderbilt.

Good Lord! Is it too much trouble to ask you to scroll back a few post and read Nan post before you post this drivel!

Sigh.

Near the end of the season, Liz was diagnosed with a hypothyroidism, which can cause feelings of fatigue. I know this because her father, who was upset at reading Boneyarders trash his daughter, emailed me and told me. He gave me the ok to share the info because Liz is NOT lazy, she was ill.

As to why she left, I don't have permission to share everything but I can tell you that Liz always wanted to go to Vanderbilt but chose UConn to please the adults in her life. She loved UConn and her teammates but it wasn't where her heart was so she was unhappy, a situation made worse by her injury and illness.

I hope people will stop and think that, maybe, they don't know everything and that they shouldn't make assumptions about people, especially based on one ill-considered word used by Geno 12 years ago. You never know what's going on in someone else's life.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Charde Houston was a real enigma. She clearly had lots of talent, though she also played with asthma. I think she was the only major player at UConn who got worse over time, not better. I couldn't believe how many times she would get called for traveling when she moved her pivot foot underneath. And the fouls. Coach Geno put her in, and a few minutes later, took her right back out. She was also one of those rare UConn players who was much better as a pro. She did have some fine years- not superstar years- but strong years as a pro when she was an important part of her team.

Very strange.
Charde had a difficult childhood, growing up poor and even occasionally homeless. Geno plucked her out of urban San Diego and put her into rural Storrs, Connecticut, about as day and night as they come. She felt like a fish out of water a lot and nearly transferred but in the end loved her teammates too much. People will never know how much Charde struggled just to understand her environment, much less adjust to college and an elite basketball team, all under the glare of the bright lights and scrutiny of fans (some of you guys had the microscope out for Charde, especially). Good for her coming out of the experience a stronger woman.

Reaction Score
The weight gain was also due to the hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroidism I've had for umpteen years--Synthroid keeps me going and saves my organs. But the tired feeling is always--I can work like a demon for 15 minutes but must sit for 5--no real stamina.
So I'd be called LAZY by any observer--before I was diagnosed I too wondered about my drive--
It's not a desire to work, the mind wants to but the body,with a small butterfly dying can't do it.
But losing weight has never been more than mind over matter for me, with Synthroid.

Reaction Score
Charde had a difficult childhood, growing up poor and even occasionally homeless. Geno plucked her out of urban San Diego and put her into rural Storrs, Connecticut, about as day and night as they come. She felt like a fish out of water a lot and nearly transferred but in the end loved her teammates too much. People will never know how much Charde struggled just to understand her environment, much less adjust to college and an elite basketball team, all under the glare of the bright lights and scrutiny of fans (some of you guys had the microscope out for Charde, especially). Good for her coming out of the experience a stronger woman.
Until many of us found out that in HS she was living in a car, homeless and other items too personal to have been discussed we were not aware of from where she came. She had "relatives" in the Ct area or at least she called the Aunts.
However, Geno had many frustrations--one of which is at times she was the ONLY option for him to us to get point on the board--as much as he wanted her to sit.

Reaction Score
Good Lord! Is it too much trouble to ask you to scroll back a few post and read Nan post before you post this drivel!
NO,just read his reason from his book In Pursuit of Perfection.But it is okay to talk about a pedophile and sexual assault possibly against former players.Give me a break.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
NO,just read his reason from his book In Pursuit of Perfection.But it is okay to talk about a pedophile and sexual assault possibly against former players.Give me a break.
Not possibly, definitely. You do not have all the facts.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that Nan. People often seem to forget about Charde because she never really developed into a "great one" in spite of having some tremendous physical gifts. I had the pleasure to meet her several times and attend a number of her games. She was not the "typical" UCONN recruit (all effort all the time, 100% committed to defense, etc), but she was/is a great kid and she did her best. People often also seem to forget that in the WNBA, she founded several charitable organizations including Project Youth Opportunity Unlimited and partnered with Perspecitve, Inc to mentor a group of girls in Minnesota, to stress the importance of education, self-esteem and becoming leaders in the community.

Houston's charitable contributions

"For the second consecutive year, Charde through her foundation, has selected an underprivileged family in the United States and made their holiday wishes a dream come true. In December of 2010, Charde hosted a “Christmas with Y.O.U.” event in Atlantic City, NJ. Through social media, Charde raised over $3,000 to fulfill the children’s Christmas list. In addition to establishing her own foundation, Charde has also worked with the Ronald McDonald House, Perspectives, Inc. and Youth Advocate Program Inc."

She is a wonderful humanitarian and gave all she could back to the community - using her own $ and time very often. She also created her own fashion line, Body Karmah, altho I'm not sure how successful it was. Given she was a bit on the "curvy" side, it was not a "twiggy" line for model types, but rather fun clothes for the every day girl.

I salute Charde as one of the great Husky ambassadors, even though she will never be remembered by fans as one of the all time greats...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks Eric! (And Nan!) - Charde is the one really talented Uconn player who I have felt might have thrived more in college had she chosen a different school - it was never an easy relationship with Geno and CD. I do think the uconn experienced helped her as a pro, and I really respected her for sticking it out. It also didn't help that she was here during the 'dark period' when the team was not getting to FFs.
I was really happy that she had success as a pro and that she at least once spoke of the benefits she derived from the Uconn years. Hope she is doing well now.

Reaction Score
Early stages of memory loss starts with what she said yesterday and cannot remember it tomorrow.......SAD!!!

Reaction Score
I remember a particular game, against UNC I think, when UConn just had a hard time scoring. Charade was on the bench and her teammates needed her help. I remember she hitched up her shorts,scored and got the team rolling . I don't recall if we won but it wasn't for lack of effort on Charde's part.

I really liked her.

Reaction Score
Early stages of memory loss starts with what she said yesterday and cannot remember it tomorrow..SAD!!!
Alzheimers begin with ???????????????????????? loss! What were you discussing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom