McCallie steps in it; no "lessons learned;" UConn mention [merged thread] | The Boneyard

McCallie steps in it; no "lessons learned;" UConn mention [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie, never known from shying away from speaking her mind (with or without actually thinking and occasionally doing so in a delusional manner), demonstrates that she not only did not have any "lessons learned" from Duke's HR investigation of her, she will attack anyone who dares to criticize her, including her former All-Americans.

On criticism and the HR investigation
Crisis has a way of clarifying, but I was really disenchanted with former players trying to interrupt what the current players are doing. I think that’s a really bad thing. I don’t think anybody should try to play AD and play a role of that nature.
I wasn’t comfortable with it in the sense that I liked it, but I was very proud of the team. I never shared that sort of pathetic—the attack mode of people thinking they know better and things of that nature. I never understood or appreciated that at all.

NOTE: One of the primary triggers for the investigation was a letter authored by Duke alum and All-American Elizabeth Williams, the most decorated and highest ranked recruit of the McCallie era, expressing serious concerns about McCallie and the state of the program.

On Azurá Stevens
She went to USA, did really well. We were really proud of her. I think she came back from USA a different player and a different person a little bit with her thoughts about things. I knew all season that she was struggling. This was no surprise. Very devastating, but no surprise.

She played well at times, then she had the injury with the plantar fascia That was extremely distressing for her to have that. I just think that Azurá made that decision to go to Connecticut. She told us, she told her teammates that 'I want a guaranteed national championship.' That became something more important than a Duke education. It was really sad.

NOTE: The comment about USA Basketball is an indirect attack on Dawn Staley.

On transfers and UConn
If you’re looking at us, we’re one of the lowest transfer rates of any program out there. I wrote them all down. We’ve got two players in nine years that have transferred and played at Duke. I’m not talking about somebody who sat on the bench. Alexis Jones, who is very good, got injured and went home. We miss her greatly, always will, always have, just like Azurá. That’s a pretty astounding thing.
When have you known Connecticut to take transfers? They took two this year. They took Azurá and [Batouly Camara] from Kentucky. Make sure you look at this stuff from a deep point of view, because why is [Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma] doing that? You know why he’s doing that? Because talent is down. And he wants to continue to win. Obviously, they’re great.

But really? Is that what we’re about now, I’m going to take transfers? That was the neat thing they used to have. Connecticut wasn’t a transfer school. Now, even if they win it, who cares? I can’t even understand it because he’s such a good coach and it’s such a great program.

NOTE: McCallie does not believe bench players count as transfers; only starters count. Her transfer count is in double digits.

That being said, even going with starters, she forgot about former MCDAA Sierra Calhoun who started every game of her first season, before transferring after the first semester ended.

And the best part is that McCallie had to answer a question about the two transfers she took in the past two years, immediately after attacking transfers and the players' mentalities about transferring.

#Delusion
#ConvinceYourself

Q&A: Duke women's basketball head coach Joanne McCallie discusses HR evaluation, recent high-profile departures

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
oh no.gif

I'm afraid to even read all of that...... dont want to spoil a perfectly good weekend. :mad:

Thank goodness for Duke Football and Men's Basketball Head bang

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Irrational garbage from coach JPM! Lexie called you and the first words out of your mouth is "I don't take transfers"-BS! She would have been better off keeping Geno's and UCONN's name out of her mouth. It's on and popping right now! Your not going to slam two people from Philly (Dawn & Geno) and get away with it. South Carolina play Duke this year?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are some deep problems at Duke. Remember at the Maggie Dixon Classic when we found out Sierra Calhoun was transferring. There were rumors about why in fact an AAU coach posted on this board why and nothing was done. Using the Duke name to intice girls to play for Duke and influencing them with a Duke Education and what it can get you doesnt work like it did in the past. The word is out in the AAU circuit and many girls are not going to Duke because of whats going on behind the scenes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There are some deep problems at Duke. Remember at the Maggie Dixon Classic when we found out Sierra Calhoun was transferring. There were rumors about why in fact an AAU coach posted on this board why and nothing was done. Using the Duke name to intice girls to play for Duke and influencing them with a Duke Education and what it can get you doesnt work like it did in the past. The word is out in the AAU circuit and many girls are not going to Duke because of whats going on behind the scenes.
Tony with the Calhoun situation many people may have ignored the gravity of the situation because the primary messenger was Mike.
When Elizabeth Williams is writing letters of complaint that is about as deep as it gets IMO.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yup, I still strongly dislike her. The whole article is disgusting really. The subtle digs at Stevens. The overt digs at Salvadores (and then having the audacity to back up and say "Don't get me wrong -- I love Angela".) Just totally two-faced and classless. As always.

She told us, she told her teammates that 'I want a guaranteed national championship.' That became something more important than a Duke education. It was really sad.

If Stevens truly said that, Geno & co. will disabuse her of the "guaranteed national championship" notion pretty quick. She might have a point about the Duke education but a Duke education might not be worth two years more of a dealing with McCallie.

It pleases me to no end that Notre Dame stole her thunder in the ACC and I will never tire of ND beating her teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What is really bizarre is the stuff about transfers. Is being a "transfer-taking" program some kind of insult; an evil practice, like giving basket-weaving courses to athletes, that negates any success gained as a result; and Geno is thereby lowering himself by taking transfers recently?

Are the transfers themselves some sort of traitorous, low-lifes who disgrace any institution that they slither into?

Should we stop buying, or have contempt for Coke because they have some employees who left a previous company because that didn't like the working conditions, felt they could progress better in another company or wanted to stay closer to family and friends?

Is this the type of mentality that Duke represents?

One thing that I like about this site is that its' members (usually) hope for and take pleasure in the success of former players who have transferred- once a Husky, always a Husky.

Reaction Score
Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie, never known from shying away from speaking her mind (with or without actually thinking and occasionally doing so in a delusional manner), demonstrates that she not only did not have any "lessons learned" from Duke's HR investigation of her, she will attack anyone who dares to criticize her, including her former All-Americans.

On criticism and the HR investigation
Crisis has a way of clarifying, but I was really disenchanted with former players trying to interrupt what the current players are doing. I think that’s a really bad thing. I don’t think anybody should try to play AD and play a role of that nature.
I wasn’t comfortable with it in the sense that I liked it, but I was very proud of the team. I never shared that sort of pathetic—the attack mode of people thinking they know better and things of that nature. I never understood or appreciated that at all.

NOTE: One of the primary triggers for the investigation was a letter authored by Duke alum and All-American Elizabeth Williams, the most decorated and highest ranked recruit of the McCallie era, expressing serious concerns about McCallie and the state of the program.

On Azurá Stevens
She went to USA, did really well. We were really proud of her. I think she came back from USA a different player and a different person a little bit with her thoughts about things. I knew all season that she was struggling. This was no surprise. Very devastating, but no surprise.

She played well at times, then she had the injury with the plantar fascia That was extremely distressing for her to have that. I just think that Azurá made that decision to go to Connecticut. She told us, she told her teammates that 'I want a guaranteed national championship.' That became something more important than a Duke education. It was really sad.

NOTE: The comment about USA Basketball is an indirect attack on Dawn Staley.

On transfers and UConn
If you’re looking at us, we’re one of the lowest transfer rates of any program out there. I wrote them all down. We’ve got two players in nine years that have transferred and played at Duke. I’m not talking about somebody who sat on the bench. Alexis Jones, who is very good, got injured and went home. We miss her greatly, always will, always have, just like Azurá. That’s a pretty astounding thing.
When have you known Connecticut to take transfers? They took two this year. They took Azurá and [Batouly Camara] from Kentucky. Make sure you look at this stuff from a deep point of view, because why is [Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma] doing that? You know why he’s doing that? Because talent is down. And he wants to continue to win. Obviously, they’re great.

But really? Is that what we’re about now, I’m going to take transfers? That was the neat thing they used to have. Connecticut wasn’t a transfer school. Now, even if they win it, who cares? I can’t even understand it because he’s such a good coach and it’s such a great program.

NOTE: McCallie does not believe bench players count as transfers; only starters count. Her transfer count is in double digits.

That being said, even going with starters, she forgot about former MCDAA Sierra Calhoun who started every game of her first season, before transferring after the first semester ended.

And the best part is that McCallie had to answer a question about the two transfers she took in the past two years, immediately after attacking transfers and the players' mentalities about transferring.

#Delusion
#ConvinceYourself

Q&A: Duke women's basketball head coach Joanne McCallie discusses HR evaluation, recent high-profile departures
I have not been a JPM detractor, at least not much, and I understand the Stevens comments--she just lost the next final 4--the comment about Geno was unnecessary . JPM must read the Boneyard and believed those that said Geno does not accept transfers! Never say never!
Her comment about accepting A Stevens was either honest or stupid. What program would not accept a top talent who walks in your front door (no back door crap with Geno)? Very smart Stevens --said she wants a National Championship and she'll get it!! (at Uconn).

Reaction Score
Yup, I still strongly dislike her. The whole article is disgusting really. The subtle digs at Stevens. The overt digs at Salvadores (and then having the audacity to back up and say "Don't get me wrong -- I love Angela".) Just totally two-faced and classless. As always.

She told us, she told her teammates that 'I want a guaranteed national championship.' That became something more important than a Duke education. It was really sad.

If Stevens truly said that, Geno & co. will disabuse her of the "guaranteed national championship" notion pretty quick. She might have a point about the Duke education but a Duke education might not be worth two years more of a dealing with McCallie.

It pleases me to no end that Notre Dame stole her thunder in the ACC and I will never tire of ND beating her teams.

On the Duke education--as Geno once said---there are as many Duke Graduates as there are Uconn Grad --waiting on tables. A Uconn education isn't terrible as some may believe --- Duke may get you in the door but Uconn grads get to stay. At one time--Uconn Eng. Grads were high desired in Calif Aircraft/missile industries.
The Connecticut Ag school disappeared many decades ago.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As Danny Kaye most elegantly sang....

"It wasn't my fault Mommy...It was Alvin's fault" one of my favorite and much quoted lines, very useful for school age kids.
Which continues:
Are you gonna buy me a new suit?
Or ya gonna hit me
?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Humphrey-Bogart-Captain-Queeg-The-Caine-Mutiny.jpg

... and what about the tranfers? 22 no, no I've only had 2 and I proved it with scientific accuracy.
And Connecticut used to be good, but now their talent is way down....

Reaction Score
Duke's a great school in its way; UConn's a great school in its way. No need to compare or compete. That's playing someone else's game (U.S. News & World Report).

As to the purity of Duke's athletics, well, Coach K really changed his tune about recruiting the one-and-go-pro kids when he discovered he couldn't compete with Kentucky.

Lesson: don't throw stones.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain what the Elizabeth Williams complaints were as well as that of Sierra Calhoun? What is this McCallie doing?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The interview reads almost as if it were an Onion parody of an interview with an unsuccessful coach.
"Wcbb coach notices that everyone is screwed up but her."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member