May transfer thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

May transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Eh. Dauda wanted to go to Baylor for Mulkey, and pretty much no other reason (maybe Bill Brock). Dauda is originally from Nigeria, and didn't arrive in Arkansas until like 6 years ago, IIRC. So, I doubt any kind of in-state loyalty is a factor for her and her family. On the other hand, the pandemic may have impacted her outlook on proximity to her family.

Not sure if she's ever visited LSU. Official visits still not allowed; but, she could always pay her own way to visit. Perhaps that doesn't matter if she's simply set on playing for Mulkey. Would be surprised if she ends up anywhere but Arkansas or LSU; however, maybe she's a very good student and will look Duke or Vanderbilt's way.

Well Duke is in dire need of a young post... is it too late to jump in?

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Not sure what this is besides replacing one 5’9” Aussie guard with another. Hmmm
Graves wanted 10 players on the roster. The portal is getting to the point where it is on its second day of a garage sale and Graves landed Hurst. Not a terrible choice at all considering it is getting later and later an and the good bargains are getting harder and harder to find.

Reaction Score
Syracuse was ridiculed for having so many players (leave/graduate/transfer). They have rebounded nicely and if they can establish some chemistry before the season starts...they could be very good come March. There aren't any superstars, but they do have balance, consistency and blue-collar workmanship with this new roster. Q needs to hire an assistant that can manage people...so he can worry about XOs.
https://wbbblog.com/syracuse-womens-basketball-recruiting/
Carr is a solid addition here, especially this late into the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Syracuse was ridiculed for having so many players (leave/graduate/transfer). They have rebounded nicely and if they can establish some chemistry before the season starts...they could be very good come March. There aren't any superstars, but they do have balance, consistency and blue-collar workmanship with this new roster. Q needs to hire an assistant that can manage people...so he can worry about XOs.
Syracuse Women's Basketball Recruiting | WBB Blog
Carr is a solid addition here, especially this late into the transfer portal.
Ridiculed or questioned? I believe it was a combination of both.

I think it was fair for people to ask questions considering the number who went into to portal, even with the extra year players are getting due to COVID. I don't see the conversation of Syracuse's situation being any different than what I've seen mentioned about other programs who have had players consistently transfer out of their program (e.g. Maryland).

I agree that the question is how they team comes together. Unlike Maryland, where they seem to be unaffected regardless of who leaves, Syracuse has not been in a similar position.

Reaction Score
Ridiculed or questioned? I believe it was a combination of both.

I think it was fair for people to ask questions considering the number who went into to portal, even with the extra year players are getting due to COVID. I don't see the conversation of Syracuse's situation being any different than what I've seen mentioned about other programs who have had players consistently transfer out of their program (e.g. Maryland).

I agree that the question is how they team comes together. Unlike Maryland, where they seem to be unaffected regardless of who leaves, Syracuse has not been in a similar position.

Difference between Syracuse and Maryland is Syracuse lost almost their entire returning team. Maryland may lose a player or two annually which is why you may have said they are unaffected but at this point with 1,000 transfers I don't know if their situation is much different than a lot of schools. I am seeing 4, 5, 6 transfers at many schools now.

Reaction Score
Difference between Syracuse and Maryland is Syracuse lost almost their entire returning team. Maryland may lose a player or two annually which is why you may have said they are unaffected but at this point with 1,000 transfers I don't know if their situation is much different than a lot of schools. I am seeing 4, 5, 6 transfers at many schools now.
I agree with you there regarding the number of players. The only other program that has 11/12 players transfer out is Detroit Mercy, however the issues with that program have been well documented.

My response was to someone mentioning Syracuse was being ridiculed. Even though Maryland may lose a few players each season, there have been jabs at Coach Frese because of it. Or at least I perceive them to be jabs I should say.

In Syracuse's case, I've interpreted the comments in the forum as a mix of ridicule and honest questions, especially when they're losing key cogs of their roster from this season. You're down to 1 freshman from the 2020 class (who I hope will fully recover from her injury), bringing in at least 5 transfers, along with the freshman class they signed for 2021.

Reaction Score
Well, it's been just about two weeks since Kim was initially announced, and a good week before that since speculation about her leaving reached fever pitch. So, she's had some time to think things over.

She had two serious finalists, Baylor and Arkansas. I'm not really sure who contacted who first, but I think it's probably like the Goforth thing was -- when she knew she wanted to leave, she knew she wanted to play at Arkansas instead.

Reaction Score
Not surprised, but for this to happen so fast, I wonder if Maryam reached out to Arkansas or did Arkansas reach out to her once Kim left.
Well, it's been just about two weeks since Kim was initially announced, and a good week before that since speculation about her leaving reached fever pitch. So, she's had some time to think things over.

She had two serious finalists, Baylor and Arkansas. I'm not really sure who contacted who first, but I think it's probably like the Goforth thing was -- when she knew she wanted to leave, she knew she wanted to play at Arkansas instead.

I think she had to receive her official release from her LOI before any school could contact her legally.

That isn't to say there couldn't have been some talk through "back channels", however I wouldn't be surprised if she felt Arkansas was the way to go once she got her release.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
High Point (My Panthers) land a grad transfer. from Tennessee State. 5-10 F averaged 10.6 pts and 6.9 rebounds last season. #9 in career rebounds and #12 in career steals

stanley.gif

Reaction Score
Is there anyone good left in the portal besides Moon Ursin?
There are 37 P5 players without a destination. Granted many of those are probably going to drop down to a non P5.

Is Alaysia Styles (née Cal née Md) any good?

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My Aggies lose an All-MEAC player to Grad Transfer. Winters will forever live in Aggie lore as she hit the championship winning three with the clock winding down in NC A&T's last appearance in the MEAC Tournament.

Reaction Score
Look at Neighbors loading up. Replacing Dungee/Slocum/Ramirez is a tall order but adding Dauda, Wolfenbarger and Goforth should set them up quite well for the next few year.
I thought Ramirez was returning. Anyone have other news on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom