May transfer thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

May transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have always believed the decision for the free one time transfer was because it was pushed by coaches, not because it was the “right” thing to do for the students. If it wasn’t Graves pushing this it would be another coach.

I'm sure we'll see similar requests coming for other players in the same situation. I didn't think waiver requests were going away anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Sorry but Raoul's criticism is dumb.
Circumstances change.

Someone says "I'm happy where I am. I'm not going to date anyone else."
Person gets dumped.
Is that person going back on his/her word by dating a new person?

I thought Graves said he likes smaller roster and implied his roster last year was too big. Well now his roster will be same size as last year...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Graves said he likes smaller roster and implied his roster last year was too big. Well now his roster will be same size as last year...

1621548397832.png

Context. He had 11 players when he made his comments about being happy with the current roster size, if both transfers are eligible he would now have 10 players. That is opposed to the 13 players he had last season.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Interesting. I've seen Meyer play over two years and she's a spirited guard who can get on a streak from long-range. Her PT seemed to diminish a bit as the season went on. Wonder how much of this move out was partly due to this past year or was also attributable to Iowa State transfer Kylie Feuerbach joining the Hawkeyes. Feuebach, if memory serves, played on the All-Iowa Attack with Caitlyn Clark. She can also play some defense, something Iowa was not particularly good at.

Up to this year, Iowa rarely had roster turnover. Is that two out and one in? Hardly mass transit, but perhaps a sign that as you move up the ladder, people are fighting to be on the rungs....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 67545

Context. He had 11 players when he made his comments about being happy with the current roster size, if both transfers are eligible he would now have 10 players. That is opposed to the 13 players he had last season.
Losing Angela Dugalic to the transfer portal hurt for her potential. But something just wasn’t working last year. Lack of offensive cohesion maybe. Team chemistry maybe. The core group is a good one though so it is just a matter of meshing these ten into a high functioning unit. I don’t believe Oregon will be a title contender with this group. The arms race between UConn and SoCar has created a separation at the top. And the top of the PAC-12 will be brutal as well.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting. I've seen Meyer play over two years and she's a spirited guard who can get on a streak from long-range. Her PT seemed to diminish a bit as the season went on. Wonder how much of this was due to Iowa State transfer Kylie Feuerbach joining the Hawkeyes. Feuebach, if memory serves, played on the All-Iowa Attack with Caitlyn Clark. She can also play some defense, something Iowa was not particularly good at.

Up to this year, Iowa rarely had roster turnover. Is that two out and one in? Hardly mass transit, but perhaps a sign that as you move up the ladder, people are fighting to be on the rungs....
I agree with your assessment of Meyer's collegiate game. She was also often relied on to set the offense up for 5ish minutes per game while Clark took a breather. Even when Taiwo established her role as the 1st guard in off the bench (usually playing the 3), Meyer was still usually the 2nd guard to come in (usually at the 2 or the 1). Feuerbach transferring in certainly didn't bode well for Meyer's chance to get more minutes, and incoming freshman Sydney Affolter also looks very promising.

Regarding Meyer's background, she also played for the same All-Iowa Attack AAU club as Clark, Feuerbach, and other hawkeyes (past, present, and future). This transfer is somewhat surprising given the Meyer family's ties to the Iowa program. I wish Megan nothing but the best!

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment of Meyer's collegiate game. She was also often relied on to set the offense up for 5ish minutes per game while Clark took a breather. Even when Taiwo established her role as the 1st guard in off the bench (usually playing the 3), Meyer was still usually the 2nd guard to come in (usually at the 2 or the 1). Feuerbach transferring in certainly didn't bode well for Meyer's chance to get more minutes, and incoming freshman Sydney Affolter also looks very promising.

Regarding Meyer's background, she also played for the same All-Iowa Attack AAU club as Clark, Feuerbach, and other hawkeyes (past, present, and future). This transfer is somewhat surprising given the Meyer family's ties to the Iowa program. I wish Megan nothing but the best!

The same was being said about Feuerbach when she transferred because of her parents' history with Iowa State. I don't know if ironic is the right word, but that's what came to mind when I read this.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

The same was being said about Feuerbach when she transferred because of her parents' history with Iowa State. I don't know if ironic is the right word, but that's what came to mind when I read this.

Thanks for the feedback and further insights. I'll take your respective comments and offer a scenario: Given what you've written, could Meyer end up at Iowa State? Gosh knows, Coach Bill F. loves his outside bombers and given how many All-Iowa Attack games he's probably seen, he's probably very familiar with her game.

Other scenarios (fill in the blank): Oklahoma, Drake or a number of other lower-ranking B1G teams that could use shooters (Wiconsin, Illinois, Minnesota). I didnt' say Nebraska because Coach Williams just brought in Jaz Shelly from Oregon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the feedback and further insights. I'll take your respective comments and offer a scenario: Given what you've writte, could Meyer end up at Iowa State? Gosh knows, Coach Bill F. loves his outside bombers and given how many All-Iowa Attack games he's probably seen, he's probably very familiar with her game.

Other scenarios (fill in the blank): Oklahoma, Drake or a number of other lower-ranking B1G teams that could use shooters (Wiconsin, Illinois, Minnesota). I didnt' say Nebraska because Coach Williams just brought in Jaz Shelly from Oregon.

From a in-state rivalry perspective Cyclone fans may love the idea, especially after seeing Feuerbach transfer to their nemesis. As to whether they would is a different story.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
From a in-state rivalry perspective Cyclone fans may love the idea, especially after seeing Feuerbach transfer to their nemesis. As to whether they would is a different story.
Iowa State has a lot depth at guard too and Megan probably wouldn't crack their rotation either. I look for a smaller D1 school to be her landing spot. This really assures Kate Martin will be the back up PG again sliding over from her 3 spot where she starts to give Caitlin a break which will open up a few more minutes at the 3 for Affolter or Taiwo.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Given what you've written, could Meyer end up at Iowa State? Gosh knows, Coach Bill F. loves his outside bombers and given how many All-Iowa Attack games he's probably seen, he's probably very familiar with her game.

Plz plz plz plz no no Megan do not go to ISU!

In all seriousness though, I don't personally think it's likely. They could take her, but I'm not sure they need her. This past season ISU needed size at the post/wing more than anything, and they've already taken two transfers (Nyamer Diew and Beatriz Jordao) to address that need. Even with Feuerbach leaving, ISU still seems pretty set in their guard rotation with Ryan, Donarski, Espenmiller-McGraw (who was injured for most of this past year), and the younger Joens coming in off the bench. All of this isn't even accounting for their incoming freshmen. That said, ISU did offer Megan back in high school so it's certainly possible. But it seems she'd run the risk of ending up in the same situation she was in at Iowa--backing up Ryan at PG for a few minutes per half the same way she backed up Clark at Iowa.

I'd love to see Meyer go to Oklahoma--it would make another Iowa connection there and give me yet another reason to root for Baranczyk. Or any of the local mid majors you mentioned like Drake or even SDSU (who also offered her out of high school).

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
Sorry but Raoul's criticism is dumb.
Circumstances change.

Someone says "I'm happy where I am. I'm not going to date anyone else."
Person gets dumped.
Is that person going back on his/her word by dating a new person?
I understand that circumstances at Oregon changed. My problem with this is the waiver request. I don't even like that they exist. If players can't get it right the first or second time, just sit for a year. Transferring takes a hit on academics. This is getting more and more absurd to have college sports at all since it has so little to do with getting an education.

I understand one transfer even if I have reservations about the academic repercussions. A second one and expecting to play immediately makes me feel like no one cares about the academics at all. It's so cynical.

Reaction Score
Plz plz plz plz no no Megan do not go to ISU!

In all seriousness though, I don't personally think it's likely. They could take her, but I'm not sure they need her. This past season ISU needed size at the post/wing more than anything, and they've already taken two transfers (Nyamer Diew and Beatriz Jordao) to address that need. Even with Feuerbach leaving, ISU still seems pretty set in their guard rotation with Ryan, Donarski, Espenmiller-McGraw (who was injured for most of this past year), and the younger Joens coming in off the bench. All of this isn't even accounting for their incoming freshmen. That said, ISU did offer Megan back in high school so it's certainly possible. But it seems she'd run the risk of ending up in the same situation she was in at Iowa--backing up Ryan at PG for a few minutes per half the same way she backed up Clark at Iowa.

I'd love to see Meyer go to Oklahoma--it would make another Iowa connection there and give me yet another reason to root for Baranczyk. Or any of the local mid majors you mentioned like Drake or even SDSU (who also offered her out of high school).

Bingo. ISU definitely needs more of an inside presence to balance things out. Their guard heavy set up worked sometimes, but when they needed a presence inside they struggled.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Washington adds their second transfer from Rice following Coach Langley. Lauren Schwartz is a near 40% career 3 point shooter who should have 3 years of eligibility left. 5-11 guard/wing.

edit--have to scroll down a tiny bit

AZgirl

Reaction Score
I have seen a few of them this year. It's silly, but I will ignore it if she chooses Arizona.

I figured these were her finalists weeks ago. She's been RT things from these two schools for a while now.

Reaction Score
Endiya Rogers seems like a talented, experienced, quick guard, I guess Graves wants her if he is recruiting her from the portal but I am not sure of her role. Is she wanting (?) to come in to back up Paopao? Does he plan to play two short guards at times? Maybe. Nothing wrong with stockpiling talent, I guess, but kids want to play.

AZgirl

Reaction Score
So...we finally have an answer to the "is she or isn't she transferring" question?
I didn't think the Athletic would list her as one of the best transfers available if she wasn't. I don't think Chantel Jennings would be that sloppy. Once I saw that they listed her as being in the portal, I knew it was true.

As for Oregon, they just need bodies in the backcourt right now. With Chavez, Mikesell and Shelley gone, they are hurting. But there is no path to starting there. She will be behind Paopao in all likelihood. Don't know how ready Bigby is.

Rogers has an obvious path to starting at Arizona. They specifically need a starting point guard because I would not put my money on Pellington. Rogers could flourish in an Aari McDonald role. If she wants to win, I think Arizona will be better than Oregon next year, too--especially with her on the team.

Hoping that June 1st really is commitment day for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom