May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 31 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
That's the problem, they aren't basketball fans, just Clark fans.
Actually the Iowa coach didn't do Caitlin any favors by the offense, and defense she ran.
A good coach would have set her up for going to the WNBA.
That's what Geno, and Dawn do.
"A good coach would have set her up for going to the WNBA."

Caitlin's coach got her to two straight NCAA title games without any other HS all americans on the roster.
Clark is"struggling" and still average over 15ppg, 5pg, and 6apg.
Clark has more attention than arguably anyone in WNBA history, is being put in the middle of a ton of toxic conversations, and yet has stayed humble and level headed the entire time thus far.

I think Bluder did more than a fine job of getting Clark (and, btw, Kate Martin) ready for the next level.

Reaction Score
streaking will ferrell GIF

Putting this where it SHOULD be! Sorry Non-Uconn recruiting followers :confused:

Mystic win 2 in a row!!!!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I am loving that Aaliyah Edwards is putting together a solid rookie run right now, quietly.
She's been excellent. She and Angel would be a fun rivalry in the league since they battle head to head and were picked 1 spot difference. Very different skill sets, personalities and styles of play but both have been really effective so far in the league (though Edwards has gotten the better of Angel the first 2 matchups).

Reaction Score
It’s early but I think this draft class has the potential to be one of the best we’ve ever seen. Certainly looks to be the best since 2019 IMO.

Clark/Brink/Cardoso/Jackson/Reese/Edwards are all impact players already and I think all of them could be All-Stars in the future. Jacy Sheldon has had a slower start but I definitely think she’s a WNBA-caliber guard even if we don’t see it right away. Then you have surprise success stories like Kate Martin, etc.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'm amused and perhaps bemused that you folks and others are spending your time reading comments from those some call 'newbie' fans of Caitlin Clark. Who cares what they think or say?

We're smart enough to make out own judgments about how Caitlin is playing, or any other WNBA player.

As for the statement that Geno and Dawn ostensibly focus their programs to prepare their plays for the WNBA, you know very well that numerous former Huskies and Gamecocks have not made it in the pros, and there are plenty of others who barely hang on. Of course, both Geno and Dawn have cultivated the skills of some to be mega-stars, but they haven't been full proof.

As for your implied suggestion, baggerbob, that Lisa Bluder should have had her team play a different kind of game to better prep Caitlin for the pros, does it mean nothing to you that the Hawkeyes built a remarkable four-season run of successes during CC's time there, and she made meanwhile individual history in countless ways, all as by-products of Bluder's coaching.

Clark has challenges before her, and none of us knows how she's do as time goes on, but that's up to her (and her current coaches). Caitlin came out of Iowa's program as a classy, remarkably mature and incredibly accomplished college grad. That tells me Lisa Bluder was providing Caitlin with a darned good foundation for the inevitable hurdles to come.

GCKSFn4L, as one of those Huskies fans who also cheered for Iowa the past few years and now roots for Caitlin, Aliyah and their teammates to have some WNBA success, I'd much rather Caitlin score just 7 or 11 points and the Fever win than for her to have 30 in a defeat! If she were to score 30 and the Fever were to win, all the better.;)
It’s not often we are on the same side in the Clark discussions, but I agree with virtually everything you write here. Well, except maybe the last sentence. I’ve always preferred a beautiful, balanced scoring offense that hunts for the open shot.

Reaction Score
I think Skylar is better than Sabrina IMO. But her issues with DT and not having the most successful Olympics run last time are not helping her either. Plus she just had her second child and was getting back into basketball shape. So she wasn't available for the training camps.
But I agree, SDS should be a replacement for Gray.
Her or K Mac

Reaction Score
Aaliyah Edwards is not rooting for FoY but she should be on the all WNBA Freshman team, I think she is playing good for the Mystics.
Still waiting to see what Nika can bring to the Storm !!!
And Lou LS for the wings, though I don't like the team

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Liberty with a fairly easy win over the Aces. Lead ballooned to 18 before a too late rally made the score more respectable. Wilson and Plum didn't get much help. JJ with a new career high 34. Ionescu w/ a double double 15 pts/12 assists.

Reaction Score
New York has now beaten 8 of the other 11 franchises in the league. They haven’t beaten Minnesota in one opportunity. Yet to play the sparks or the wings. Proving you can beat all teams in the league usually bodes well for being in championship contention.

Reaction Score
Liberty with a fairly easy win over the Aces. Lead ballooned to 18 before a too late rally made the score more respectable. Wilson and Plum didn't get much help. JJ with a new career high 34. Ionescu w/ a double double 15 pts/12 assists.
Liberty mighty want to consider keeping Sab PG and using Sloot off the bench when she returns. Might help fix the second quarter blues they always have, keep Sloot and Sab fresh all season and let Sabrina run the offense more because it looks very good when she has the ball in her hands.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So...this was a no call. Not only that, should've been reviewed and I think pretty easy Flagrant 1. Non basketball play, contact above the shoulder. Instead, it's nothing, a turnover, and a big momentum 3 at the other end.

WNBA refs are absolutely awful.

Reaction Score
So...this was a no call. Not only that, should've been reviewed and I think pretty easy Flagrant 1. Non basketball play, contact above the shoulder. Instead, it's nothing, a turnover, and a big momentum 3 at the other end.

If you watch from all angles it was just another flop by Plum. Laneys arm was straight and on the ball, plum squeezes it between her head and shoulder then spins to get a call. Good no call and certainly not a flagrant.

Reaction Score
W

Wow. Horrible no call. Jeez. Now the League will respond with their usual comments, if they respond at all.

Reaction Score

Yeah KP had two shots to the face by Laney and yet she ended the game with 0 fouls.

Reaction Score
IMO and after review neither rose to the level of flagrant. The second under the basket could've been called a foul but neither of the two visible refs had a good line of sight. Correct me if I'm wrong the refs can review for a flagrant but they cannot call a common foul on a review where no foul was called initially.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong the refs can review for a flagrant but they cannot call a common foul on a review where no foul was called initially.
That's my understanding as well. Hammon raised a fuss about it, I don't understand why they didn't go to the monitor to look at it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom