May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 26 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ionescu and JJ carried the Lib today.
Ionescu (8-16) and JJ (9-14) both shot well and hit clutch shots down the stretch. I'll give a tip of the hat to virtually the entire team for moving the ball: Laney-Hamilton had 6 assists; Stewie, Ionescu and JJ all had 5 each; and Thornton had 3.

On the Connecticut side, is there a three-pt. shooter out of the league that could join them and hit a few beyond the arc? Otherwise, teams will do what the Liberty did: pack it in and virtually dare anyone to shoot it (besides Harris).

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And then there were none. Liberty get a big win on the road and hand the Sun their first loss of the season.
Washington is still perfect, though. A perfect 0.000.

Next three up are Liberty, Dream, and Sky. Unless Sykes comes back, I see the the streak alive for at least through those three games.

Reaction Score
NY's defense has been looking much better lately. Gee--I wonder what happened? Maybe playing without a liability could make all the difference.
Sabally needs to get healthy, and at least give Stewie and Jones a breather.
That's 4 games she has missed already this year.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
On the Connecticut side, is there a three-pt. shooter out of the league that could join them and hit a few beyond the arc? Otherwise, teams will do what the Liberty did: pack it in and virtually dare anyone to shoot it (besides Harris).
Taylor Mikesell?

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
That's 4 straight games the Liberty closed well in the 4th quarter.
The constant in those 4 games, no Sabally, still out injured.
The rookie from Germany has started to get some run. Not great,but seems to be helping.
Without Courtney Vandersloot, they have four good to great defenders in their starting lineup. Sabrina also looks to be improved (or at least that's what I saw from the second Chicago game minus the Chennedy Carter blow-by).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I missed this until now: Elizabeth Williams apparently tore the meniscus in her knee against the Mystics and will have surgery. Out for an indefinite amount of time. In her place, the Sky started Kamilla Cardoso and Tina Charles has already scored 8 points, while opening up a 17-pt. lead (!) in the first half. However, the Sky, behind Angel Reese, Izzy Harrison and Diamond DeShields have cut it down to 10 in 2nd quarter, while getting virtually nothing out of Chennedy Carter and Marina Mabrey so far. Stay tuned.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Tina is schooling cardoso
Yup. If one could count on Ms. Williams, it was solid straight up defense.
At some point, will she realize that Bri Turner can play solid defense and rebound. (or does she not want two forwards who really can't shoot on the floor at the same time?) :oops::rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Ionescu (8-16) and JJ (9-14) both shot well and hit clutch shots down the stretch. I'll give a tip of the hat to virtually the entire team for moving the ball: Laney-Hamilton had 6 assists; Stewie, Ionescu and JJ all had 5 each; and Thornton had 3.

Rachel Banham should be able to hit threes, based on her career record. She didn't get a lot of minutes today, presumably because there was no one on the Liberty that she could safely defend (and because Tiffany Mitchell was playing well).

However, the Sun might consider trading a 3rd-round draft choice to Dallas for somebody named Lou, notwithstanding that she may have defensive issues as well.

Reaction Score
This isn't just an off night. It's been a trend so far. The Aces' shooting efficiency has been in the bottom half of the WNBA all season long--and I'm usually the one who's pointing that out (win or lose). They most certainly aren't okay unless they can get a PG who can come in and get the ball moving right away. Jackie and KP are not adequate at this position, and it really makes the Aces' offense look incompetent when one of the two shoots 8% from the field against an opponent who also struggles with shooting efficiency.

Noelle's team played okay last night. But because this team also lost to a Nate Tibbetts-coached one and a Tanisha Wright-coached one, it's hard to say how much of an accomplishment the win is for her coaching résumé at this point of the season.
And yet the Aces still win. Nobody talks about their shooting struggles when they are winning. For me, Plum and Young are holding down the so-called point guard duties decently. Could they improve? Of course, but they are doing enough to hold things together for awhile. As for Coach Quinn. She is getting the buy in from the players and Seattle is winning. That is all that matters in the end. The team improving and winning. Way to go, Coach Quinn.

Reaction Score
At some point, will she realize that Bri Turner can play solid defense and rebound. (or does she not want two forwards who really can't shoot on the floor at the same time?) :oops::rolleyes:

I forgot she’s on the team. Is she hurt?? Why isn’t she playing?

Reaction Score
Sabally needs to get healthy, and at least give Stewie and Jones a breather.
That's 4 games she has missed already this year.
So you want Sabally to get healthy in this post but every other post you are telling how bad she is and is a wasted pick make up your mind

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Suddenly, the 18-deficit has evaporated and the Sky are down 78-75 with four minutes to go.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
And yet the Aces still win. Nobody talks about their shooting struggles when they are winning. For me, Plum and Young are holding down the so-called point guard duties decently. Could they improve? Of course, but they are doing enough to hold things together for awhile.
They clearly aren't, because the team is losing games to teams it shouldn't (Phoenix without Griner, Seattle at home when there's a Commissioner's Cup berth on the line, Atlanta without a PG) and it's clearly wearing on Becky Hammon. She sounded like she was at the end of her rope in the postgame press conference, and she's usually far more optimistic that the team can turn it around after losses. There's no moving forward unless the PG position is addressed.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Angel has locked up the rebounding forward position on the team and brings some scoring, so Turner isn't likely to see any floor time ahead of her. They've wanted to start Kamilla at the 5, and the unfortunate injury to EWill (along with her own return from long-term injury) facilitates that. Factor in Izzy Harrison's return and there's just not much room in the rotation for Breezy.

I've said before that the Sky are heavy on the bigs. That can be a blessing as well as a curse.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
This isn't just an off night. It's been a trend so far. The Aces' shooting efficiency has been in the bottom half of the WNBA all season long--and I'm usually the one who's pointing that out (win or lose). They most certainly aren't okay unless they can get a PG who can come in and get the ball moving right away. Jackie and KP are not adequate at this position, and it really makes the Aces' offense look incompetent when one of the two shoots 8% from the field against an opponent who also struggles with shooting efficiency.

Noelle's team played okay last night. But because this team also lost to a Nate Tibbetts-coached one and a Tanisha Wright-coached one, it's hard to say how much of an accomplishment the win is for her coaching résumé at this point of the season.
I don't know why we keep beating this pg issue to death.
They have an injured point guard, apparently not debuting until the Olympics. She will play second half of wnba season, they will make the playoffs, and try to repeat from there.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
I don't know why we keep beating this pg issue to death.
They have an injured point guard, apparently not debuting until the Olympics. She will play second half of wnba season, they will make the playoffs, and try to repeat from there.
So in the meantime, they're just supposed to keep playing players out of position, continue to lose games, and fall further in the standings?

Odd take.

Reaction Score
So in the meantime, they're just supposed to keep playing players out of position, continue to lose games, and fall further in the standings?

Odd take.
I mean what do want them to do? It’s likely only a couple more weeks before she returns. As long as she doesn’t get hurt at the Olympics they’ll be fine and likely cruise to a 3peat. This is the height of overreaction. They MIGHT (probably won’t) take a few more losses but they’ll still be a top 4 team and the team to beat come October.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let's make this simple. Loyd and SDS couldn't find the bottom of the bucket to start the season. The Storm looked bad. Plus Nneka missed a few games. Now the new parts seem to be meshing, the stars are hitting shots, and they are on a 6 game winning streak. Simple.

Connecticut is undefeated. EVERYBODY else has been up and down to some degree.

And Ezi has gotten better every season. I wish she had come to UConn!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I mean what do want them to do? It’s likely only a couple more weeks before she returns. As long as she doesn’t get hurt at the Olympics they’ll be fine and likely cruise to a 3peat. This is the height of overreaction. They MIGHT (probably won’t) take a few more losses but they’ll still be a top 4 team and the team to beat come October.
Yeah, who is available that they can add that is a starting caliber PG, who would then be happy to go to the bench when Gray returns? I'm gonna guess...nobody?

Reaction Score
They clearly aren't, because the team is losing games to teams it shouldn't (Phoenix without Griner, Seattle at home when there's a Commissioner's Cup berth on the line, Atlanta without a PG) and it's clearly wearing on Becky Hammon. She sounded like she was at the end of her rope in the postgame press conference, and she's usually far more optimistic that the team can turn it around after losses. There's no moving forward unless the PG position is addressed.
They will be fine. Folks were overreacting last year when they lost Parker or when they lost a few games. In the end, the Las Vegas Aces will be fine. The point guard issue is a non-factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom