May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 24 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Washington BLEW a great game by Aaliyah Edwards. SHAME! Those who watched the game could see it coming a mile away, though.

There's another chance to get win #1 tomorrow, but it will come against a rested (and motivated) Fever team.
Well, a 25-10 third quarter explosion (by Sky)/collapse (by Mystics) will do that.
To your point, Aliyah E. finished with 23 points on 10-12 shooting from the field, 14 rebounds and 4 blocks. Wow.

Chennedy Carter shot 10-17 from the field (no threes) and 5-5 from the FT line to lead the Sky with 25.
Izzy Harrison -- remember her? -- came off the bench and in 16 minutes, scored 14 points on 6-10 shooting.

Lastly, Lindsay Allen played 27 minutes, had 4 steals and kept the Sky in sync. I've noted that Carter and Evans on the floor at the same time sometimes turns into a "can you top this?" and Allen knows that's not her role here. (Adult on the court?). Well-balanced approach....and Carter was hot.

Blown opportunity by the Mystics, but Sky played a strong-enough 2nd half to get the W.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
FWIW, the visiting teams won all four games on Wednesday and Thursday: Las Vegas (@ Dallas); Minnesota (@ Los Angeles); Chicago (@ Washington); and, New York (@Atlanta).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, a 25-10 third quarter explosion (by Sky)/collapse (by Mystics) will do that.
To your point, Aliyah E. finished with 23 points on 10-12 shooting from the field, 14 rebounds and 4 blocks. Wow.

Chennedy Carter shot 10-17 from the field (no threes) and 5-5 from the FT line to lead the Sky with 25.
Izzy Harrison -- remember her? -- came off the bench and in 16 minutes, scored 14 points on 6-10 shooting.

Lastly, Lindsay Allen played 27 minutes, had 4 steals and kept the Sky in sync. I've noted that Carter and Evans sometimes turns into a "can you top this?" and Allen knows that's not her role here. (Adult on the court?).

Blown opportunity by the Mystics, but Sky played a strong-enough 2nd half to get the W.

Carter is still an elite scorer.

Reaction Score
Will Clark and Boston play today? If not the mystics have a slight chance of getting their first w today

Reaction Score
Washington BLEW a great game by Aaliyah Edwards. SHAME! Those who watched the game could see it coming a mile away, though.

There's another chance to get win #1 tomorrow, but it will come against a rested (and motivated) Fever team.
Full roster?

Reaction Score
Lastly, Lindsay Allen played 27 minutes, had 4 steals and kept the Sky in sync. I've noted that Carter and Evans on the floor at the same time sometimes turns into a "can you top this?" and Allen knows that's not her role here.
Neither is an adult.

Play by play announcer in the Sky lost to Liberty pointed out that Evans allows her lack of involvement or success on the offensive end to definitely affect her effort on the defensive end of the court.

At least Carter plays both ends of the court and while she may get beaten it's not from lack of effort.

Aa the Sky work out their rotations they'll be much better with Evans planted on the bench. Her minutes definitely need to go to Allen and Carter

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I just got saw this news on the WNBA transaction page and they both come from the Connecticut Sun:

• The Sun have waived Queen Egbo, who they just picked up from the Washington Mystics.
  • The Sun have signed Veronica Burton, which continues their practice of using the Dallas Wings as a developmental first-step for eventual Sun point guards. Burton's signing follows Ty Harris, another young PG drafted and let go by GM Greg Bibb.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The mystics are a hot mess. But I can’t help but think they’d win some games if Austin and Sykes could get and stay healthy. A lineup of Vanloo, Atkins, Sykes, Edwards, and Austin would be competitive. They’ve been competitive in a lot of games but need to be healthy to get over the hump.

Atkins selection as an Olympian continues to be puzzling the more time that passes. Have there been many players to make an Olympic roster, then fail to defend their spot while still in their prime?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
up until last year, Atkins had made a WNBA all defensive team every year she had been in the league and I believe when she was selected was hitting close to 40% from 3pt range. Given the other perimeter players beside Jewel Loyd were not exactly known for their defense (Bird, DT, SDD, C. Gray), I think USA BB wanted some insurance on the perimeter if they ran into a guard who got hot.

Reaction Score
I get that it’s just engagement bait but ESPN listing Clark as the SIXTH-best rookie so far is criminal. Leading all rooks in points and assists and you’re telling me she’s not worthy of a spot on the All-Rookie team?!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I get that it’s just engagement bait but ESPN listing Clark as the SIXTH-best rookie so far is criminal. Leading all rooks in points and assists and you’re telling me she’s not worthy of a spot on the All-Rookie team?!
I saw that, so dumb.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Caitlin is 7-12 from deep in D.C. The Capital One Center (large arena) is mostly full.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mystics' shot to tie was late. It was a Clark crowd more than a Washington crowd.

Liya had 10/12/2, another double-double. Stef had 19/6/3.

Atkins shot a dismal 7-21.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
If Caitlin is the sixth-best rookie, who are the five that are better than she is?

Can one be the sixth-best rookie if they have the only 30-point scoring games thus far in their draft class?

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
And despite her showing over and over again that she isn't remotely worthy, Mike Thibault is going to do his darndest to get Ariel Atkins onto the 5x5 roster.

Reaction Score
And despite her showing over and over again that she isn't remotely worthy, Mike Thibault is going to do his darndest to get Ariel Atkins onto the 5x5 roster.
Walker Kimbro getting a lot of minutes is dumb. She should be the last player off the bench.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Anyone who had on their bingo card that Karlie Samuelson would start for a WNBA team while her sister, Katie Lou, would come off the bench for the opposing team and score just half the points of her sister, really deserves an all-you-can-eat Boca Raton buffet dinner. 2024 just keeps delivering surprises.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If Caitlin is the sixth-best rookie, who are the five that are better than she is?
It was a free article yesterday, now it's behind a pay wall. They have Brink #1. I think the others were Reese, Jackson, Vanloo and Martin. You could maybe argue a few of those, but Vanloo or Martin is just beyond ridiculous.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
I don't know how much longer the Aces can play with three starters. The Storm are okay, but they also have the advantage of having actual starters. They aren't even trying to guard Kiah.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't know how much longer the Aces can play with three starters. The Storm are okay, but they also have the advantage of having actual starters. They aren't even trying to guard Kiah.
Nobody has ever guarded Kiah.

What are their options? Gustafson hasn't shown much. Go small w/ Clark at the 4 and move Hayes into the starting lineup? Then you still have the problem of no bench scoring.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Reese is an odd combination of long, athletic, and uncoordinated.
In terms of coordination she’s a pretty good ball handler and passer, she just has horrible shot form. She’s also quick and athletic but appears to have no vertical (while also being a godly offensive rebounder). Definitely a very unique set of skills/shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom