May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 22 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
None of these teams have down or practice time, but Reese would very much benefit from some coaching/advice and practice on this aspect of her game. Once again, her ability to get to the first rebound is beyond reproach. But the next step ....
On point analysis.

This is illustrative of the reason that Geno coached players are valued in the w. Contrast the deficiencies in Reese's game which have not been addressed with the performance of Edwards.

One can think of a number of solid or excellent college players that have been in Kim's program and compare those with similar players in the Connecticut program. Coaching matters. Now it may well be that Reese is less coachable than Edwards but the fact remains that the formative program in college in which you play can make a big difference.

Reaction Score
Honestly I don't watch WNBA often but CC - CC elbow case makes me spending the last 2 hours in googling WNBA.
Is it good or bad?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
To me it looks like (Reese) is always way more concerned with trying to draw a foul than actually trying to get the ball in the basket.
Reese is not alone in that, and I find that style very unpleasant to watch. Some of McGraw's teams seemed to always play like that if they faced any competition/defense. The Connecticut "And one!" Sun have often been guilty of it, although I think White is making progress getting them away from it.

After years of complaining about it, I finally heard an announcer, I think during the NCAA tournament earlier this year, say "They're trying to draw fouls, they'd be better off trying to make shots." I don't remember what team it was, nor what announcer it was, but I was so pleased to hear it that I still remember it.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Honestly I don't watch WNBA often but CC - CC elbow case makes me spending the last 2 hours in googling WNBA.
Is it good or bad?

I don't love it but in reality I think it's good overall. One of the best catalysts for growth in the past couple of years came from the fall out of Angel Reese taunting Clark at the end of the 2023 championship game. Controversy brings more eyes to the sport, which in turn creates more fans/haters and ultimately helps grow the game.

Reaction Score
I don't love it but in reality I think it's good overall. One of the best catalysts for growth in the past couple of years came from the fall out of Angel Reese taunting Clark at the end of the 2023 championship game. Controversy brings more eyes to the sport, which in turn creates more fans/haters and ultimately helps grow the game.
ABSOLUTELY

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I just love the Kate Martin story! And you know her Aces' teammates wouldn't do that if 1) they didn't love her, and 2) they didn't know she has a sense of humor that would "get it". I take that as a very good sign for her and the Aces.

And a Hello Kitty backpack??? Priceless.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Someone is really laughing hard in that clip. I'm not sure, but in my mind it's A'ja.

Reaction Score

Think About It GIF by Identity

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aces have been a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Another monster game for Wilson. Young and Plum had a much better outing tonight than the previous game. Double digits from Hayes off the bench.

Ogunbowale w/ another 30 point game but it wasn't enough to prevent a fairly comfortable win for LV.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Despite being winless, I don't know that Washington is that much worse than LA and Indiana. LA, especially, is absolutely horrible and does not have the right coach for what should be the current mission.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Despite being winless, I don't know that Washington is that much worse than LA and Indiana. LA, especially, is absolutely horrible and does not have the right coach for what should be the current mission.
If you're in rebuild mode, you might as well be really bad for multiple seasons so you can stock pile lottery picks.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Did Brink get hurt? Halfway thru Q2, has only played 5 minutes, only has 1 foul. Other starters have low minutes too, but not that low. Maybe coach benched everybody other than Hamby. Getting run out of the building by the Lynx.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
If you're in rebuild mode, you might as well be really bad for multiple seasons so you can stock pile lottery picks.
I agree, but the coach needs to do a better job of developing the lottery picks he just selected. If you're going to suck, it's better to suck with 22-year-olds leading the way.

Reaction Score
Hayes is just what Vegas needs, a reliable scorer and playmaker off the bench. Once they get Gray back they’ll likely have Clark/Hayes/Martin/Gustafson off the bench. That’s a good enough rotation when you have elite starters. They’ve taken some early losses but I still think Aces are going to be the best team in the WNBA at some point this season.

I’m a little surprised Gustafson has been so ineffective given she was a great sparkplug for Phoenix last year. But it’s harder when your minutes are inconsistent.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
On point analysis.

This is illustrative of the reason that Geno coached players are valued in the w. Contrast the deficiencies in Reese's game which have not been addressed with the performance of Edwards.

One can think of a number of solid or excellent college players that have been in Kim's program and compare those with similar players in the Connecticut program. Coaching matters. Now it may well be that Reese is less coachable than Edwards but the fact remains that the formative program in college in which you play can make a big difference.
Nice post. Reese and Edwards will always be compared based on the draft this year. The Canadian Fundamental v Bayou Barbie.

Edwards still has a lot of upside and is very quick for a big, great for W.

I'm also positively surprised by Reese. She obviously has some good advisors now. She handles her social, but gets along well with teammates and is working hard on her game, even shooting. Looks to still be a double double machine in W, but needs now against better defense to be craftier in the paint...and debut her jump shot.

I'm quite happy, if both are successful.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
I’m a little surprised Gustafson has been so ineffective given she was a great sparkplug for Phoenix last year. But it’s harder when your minutes are inconsistent.
Megan may benefit the most from a Chelsea Gray return.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for the discussions on how A'ja is targeted by other players to be topic of discussion tomorrow (sarcasm). Despite the amazing game A'ja took at least 3 shots to the face and I believe it resulted in 1 foul at best. She bled twice and had her contact pop out her eye as a result. I know it's farfetched but I hope those in denial can see how physical this league is for everyone and how dangerous some of these narratives have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom