May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 65 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
What playoff contender could use a great passing small forward who defends the hell out of the ball? :D
Indiana. The teams currently above the Fever in the rankings either don't have the money (so that includes teams like the Liberty, Storm, Mercury, Sun) or do not need her (Aces--though I wish we could get rid of Kierstan Bell for her, Lynx).

Reaction Score
Indiana. The teams currently above the Fever in the rankings either don't have the money (so that includes teams like the Liberty, Storm, Mercury, Sun) or do not need her (Aces--though I wish we could get rid of Kierstan Bell for her, Lynx).
According to Richard Cohen, every team but Dallas has money for her if she wants to take the minimum to play on a contender.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
According to Richard Cohen, every team but Dallas has money for her if she wants to take the minimum to play on a contender.

Unless she's just that desperate for a WNBA title, there's little reason to believe that a player who just had the performance she had on a big international stage will return to the WNBA for what amounts to pennies (prorated vet minimum).

Reaction Score
Unless she's just that desperate for a WNBA title, there's little reason to believe that a player who just had the performance she had on a big international stage will return to the WNBA for what amounts to pennies (prorated vet minimum).
I mean its only like a month of basketball and her real pay days come from Europe anyways so I do think winning will be as important as money to her decision. I would imagine her most likely land places are the Storm, the Liberty and The Sun based on history with players, program and chances at playoff run. She's already eliminated Chicago from her options on social media.

Reaction Score
I mean its only like a month of basketball and her real pay days come from Europe anyways so I do think winning will be as important as money to her decision. I would imagine her most likely land places are the Storm, the Liberty and The Sun based on history with players, program and chances at playoff run. She's already eliminated Chicago from her options on social media.
Eliminated or will never be considered after her challenges with the front office?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Winning a WNBA title may not mean as much to her in 2024 if she has to accept pennies and a reduced role. She may choose to go to a contender in 2025--when she can make a lot more money.

I don't see her going to any of those teams you listed because she's not going to want to come off the bench (she's not replacing the likes of Laney-Hamilton, Bonner, or even Horston) for a pittance and a non-guarantee (none of the teams you listed has won a WNBA title since 2020, so who's to say that they would this year?). With Indiana, she could at least fight for starter's minutes because Hull/Samuelson are not consistent.

The speculation is fun, but Gabby does not seem to be in a rush to return to the WNBA. She has the upper hand. And as much as NY Liberty/UConn fans fantasize about the reunion with Stewie, I don't think she'd want to have that "riding the pine" experience coming off the high of starring at the Paris Olympics. Maybe next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom