May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 21 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NY has done that before. But they found their mojo in a 23-9 4th quarter.
NY has played 2 of their best games with Sabally out . She misses more games then she plays. This better be her last year in NY.

Reaction Score
Ms. "people are coming to watch me too" was shooting 35% from the floor coming into today, and was 3-12 tonight. I don't see much if any talk about this. For a player that shoots almost exclusively from point blank range, that is awful. She's a good rebounder. Otherwise she has A LOT of work to do.
Don't forget the double technical and ejection after mouthing off at the referee too. :eek:
Cardoso in her second game wasn't nearly as impactful as game 1. 1 pt/5 reb in 12 minutes.
I would agree with your analysis concerning her scoring impact but she was very impactful in other ways. She drew a ton of fouls and drew a ton of defensive attention. The Liberty defense were trying their hardest to keep the ball out of her hands in the paint and it was leading to teammates making easy shots.

She also impacted guard play on defense. The Liberty guards were thinking twice about driving it to the hoop when they saw Cardoso in the way as the "final boss" between them and the hoop.

Reaction Score
Don't forget the double technical and ejection after mouthing off at the referee too. :eek:

I would agree with your analysis concerning her scoring impact but she was very impactful in other ways. She drew a ton of fouls and drew a ton of defensive attention. The Liberty defense were trying their hardest to keep the ball out of her hands in the paint and it was leading to teammates making easy shots.

She also impacted guard play on defense. The Liberty guards were thinking twice about driving it to the hoop when they saw Cardoso in the way as the "final boss" between them and the hoop.
Even Sabrina was questioning that ejection though. Something very questionable and fishy went on with that.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
NY has played 2 of their best games with Sabally out . She misses more games then she plays. This better be her last year in N
????

NY drafted her knowing she wouldn't play her first year.

Last year she played in 33/40 regular season games. (don't remember if 7 she didn't play were injury or DNP)
This year she has missed two out of 10 games.
She averages 11.6mpg backing up two former MVPs.

Reaction Score
I’m starting to question my Stewie is washed take. Something different about her energy the last three games. Still some hope for her but not convinced she’s here to stay.

Reaction Score
i am confused why the Fever got rid of Vivian’s. A good defender and shooter, seems she’d make the Fever substantially better and is better than any of their current 3s. Weird decision there considering they are still paying her this season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
DT in particular and the Merc in general are in the running for the most bizarrely hot and cold shooting of all time. They are either sizzling or absolutely horrible. No in between.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
i am confused why the Fever got rid of Vivian’s. A good defender and shooter, seems she’d make the Fever substantially better and is better than any of their current 3s. Weird decision there considering they are still paying her this season.
I don't think they waived Vivian's, I think it was Menjiadieu. Vivians played tonight.

Reaction Score
I don't think they waived Vivian's, I think it was Menjiadieu. Vivians played tonight.
I’m talking about the Fever not the Storm. The Fever had her under contract this year and then parted ways with her and are still paying her 90k. The storm signed her during the off-season st the vet minimum.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I’m talking about the Fever not the Storm. The Fever had her under contract this year and then parted ways with her and are still paying her 90k. The storm signed her during the off-season st the vet minimum.
oops, wow are the Fever stuck with her on their 2024 salary cap? Her play with the Storm has certainly been competent.

Reaction Score
In the heart of baseball season, the NBA Finals, the Lord Stanley Finals, and ESPN hosts getting heated talking about the WNBA...the WNBA is getting some major press...I love it!!

Glenn Howerton Teacher GIF by PeacockTV

No, the W is NOT getting press. Clark is. All the press is about her, the W players are targeting her, and they need to protect her. There is ZERO conversation about the Sun being undefeated, Wilson having a monster year, MVPhee or DT scoring 30 multiple times at the age of 40 something. Those things are about the WNBA. Not Clark

Reaction Score
How about 13 and 4 on 6-6 shooting?
Yep, the Merc matador defense seems to be quite tasty particularly when a w team well coached gets to host the Merc.

Looked like an exhibition practice against a division 3 team as the Storm took turns slashing to the hoop

I suspect the Mercs million dollar coach will return to the drawing board to tweak both the interior and perimeter defense. Perhaps ongoing conversations about the rotation? I listened to the game on the local ABC affiliate and it was amusing to hear the hometown announcers for the Merc try to find something positive to say.

What the announcers settled on was the million dollar coach's record in the game of winning challenges. Yep that's why he's earning a million bucks a year.

If this performance sets the June standard the dumpster fire in Phoenix will have no problem losing their last two games of the month to the Spark and the Fever.

Reaction Score
No, the W is NOT getting press. Clark is. All the press is about her, the W players are targeting her, and they need to protect her. There is ZERO conversation about the Sun being undefeated, Wilson having a monster year, MVPhee or DT scoring 30 multiple times at the age of 40 something. Those things are about the WNBA. Not Clark
While the league isn't completely in control of the narrative they do have some responsibility. They need to step up and tell their story regardless of the talking heads.

Reaction Score
DT in particular and the Merc in general are in the running for the most bizarrely hot and cold shooting of all time. They are either sizzling or absolutely horrible. No in between.
Most often icicle cold and don't forget the complete and utter indifference to defense. The matador defense installed by the million dollar coach is second to the Fever in points allowed.

Reaction Score
Ms. "people are coming to watch me too" was shooting 35% from the floor coming into today, and was 3-12 tonight. I don't see much if any talk about this. For a player that shoots almost exclusively from point blank range, that is awful. She's a good rebounder. Otherwise she has A LOT of work to do.
To me it looks like she is always way more concerned with trying to draw a foul than actually trying to get the ball in the basket. A lot of her attempts aren’t even remotely close to going in. She’s an elite rebounder, and made a living at the FT line in college. If she would just work on her shot mechanics she could actually be infinitely better.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
To me it looks like she is always way more concerned with trying to draw a foul than actually trying to get the ball in the basket. A lot of her attempts aren’t even remotely close to going in. She’s an elite rebounder, and made a living at the FT line in college. If she would just work on her shot mechanics she could actually be infinitely better.
@nwhoopfan

I've watched a number of Chicago Sky games and agree that many - so many -- of her follow-up shots are off base. Initially, she does a good job crashing when coming from the weak-side to grab the rebound. For whatever reason -- rushed, poor mechanics, try to draw fouls -- the follow-up/put-back is off. Sometimes so far off, that Reese is the perfect person to grab the rebound, shoot and miss again. I'm amazed at how many of her offensive rebounds are off her own missed shots.

None of these teams have down or practice time, but Reese would very much benefit from some coaching/advice and practice on this aspect of her game. Once again, her ability to get to the first rebound is beyond reproach. But the next step ....

Reaction Score
While the league isn't completely in control of the narrative they do have some responsibility. They need to step up and tell their story regardless of the talking heads.
Not disagreeing at all. And Monica McNutt shutting down Stephen A Smith was what it needed. And it left him speechless which was fantastic!

Reaction Score
Does Clark play in the WNBA?

Reaction Score
The W is more than Clark. If the media is only talking about her, that is NOT covering the W

Clark is the supernova, bringing in zillions of new eyeballs. Rather than see it as this great opportunity/gateway to broader viewership/gains/$$$, all anyone can do is whine and try to kill the golden goose (sometimes literally). Great strategy.

Reaction Score
I don't think she was a good fit there honestly. She wasn't really that great offensively or defensively at Indiana. But I also don't think the organization exactly put her in the best position to succeed either.

It seems like they brought KLS to fill her spot as a better shooter but she's a worse defender than Vivians. But it seems almost always like leaving Indiana is a blessing for the players. Look no further than Betnijah Laney, Teaira McCowan and Alanna Smith who all start having better careers once leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom