May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 20 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Latest ESPN power rankings

WNBA Power Rankings 2024: Everyone looking up at unbeaten Sun​

Connecticut is the seventh WNBA team to win its first eight games of a season; the other six all advanced to the WNBA Finals. Three of those teams were from the Minnesota Lynx and three from the Los Angeles Sparks. Of those teams, the 2017 Lynx, 2016 Sparks and 2001 Sparks went on to win the WNBA title.

As to the bottom of the league the Mercury still have a shot. The Fever may well find their footing, the Mystics injury snafu could resolve itself, and when the Sparks get their point guard back they will not be nearly as hapless and helpless.. That is to say these three teams have some hope the Mercury will continue to ride the 42-year-old GOAT the million dollar coach's installation of perimeter defense (looking forward to seeing how that works tonight), and a culture that would seem to welcome hip check Carter.

The Mercury could well lose seven of the remaining nine June games and their hosting of the Sparks and Fever at the end of the month is the only thing between them and losing out in June.

Tonight's road game against the Atorm according to ESPN at least should be a sure loss. The current power rankings have the Storm ahead of the Aces and of course the hapless Mercury.

Food for thought if Tibbetts is a million dollar coach what does that make Becky Hammond? Or Sandy Brondello for that matter?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reese deflects: "she's not the only one who brings sellouts......."......."....people watch women's basketball for me too......"

Carter: "There's more to me than 'one little clip'...; and "Besides 3-pt shooting what else does she bring to the table man?"

And, WNBA commentators insist its all part of the competition, nothing else.....

Did Rebecca join that song?

Reaction Score
Reese deflects: "she's not the only one who brings sellouts......."......."....people watch women's basketball for me too......"

Carter: "There's more to me than 'one little clip'...; and "Besides 3-pt shooting what else does she bring to the table man?"

And, WNBA commentators insist its all part of the competition, nothing else.....

The part of the Reese quote that was cut off was she said people watch for me too, people watch for ALL of us. But of course the media clipped it to exploit her for clicks.

And honestly trash talking on social media is a normal part of the game. Have we already forgotten the Aces victory parade last year or no?

Y’all need to stop infantilizing these women.

Reaction Score

Wow. I used to work with someone who has Crohns. Glad she was able to recover enough that she can continue to play.
My sister has Crohn's so I am intimately familiar with the disease. She has periods where she struggles with any movement because her joints are enflamed and it just hurts to walk. I cannot imagine the effect it would have in someone who is a professional sports player. That has to be another level of difficulty.

Reaction Score

1). Deflect? Not sure but I get where you're coming from, however her comments about people coming to see her play is accurate.

2). Carter's quote opens a can of worms which we don't need to go through. Most fans on this board would likely agree.

3). WNBA commentators have been clear on separating the hip check from the "competition" part. These are two different things.

4). No I don't think Lobo joined the choir/song. She was clear both during the game and afterwards, that the foul should have been reviewed and upgraded during the game. Her follow up comments referenced how teams are defending Clark where she gets more attention because of what she can do (e.g. defending her full court vs picking her up at half court) and that she's going through a learning curve.

Reaction Score
In the heart of baseball season, the NBA Finals, the Lord Stanley Finals, and ESPN hosts getting heated talking about the WNBA...the WNBA is getting some major press...I love it!!

Glenn Howerton Teacher GIF by PeacockTV

Reaction Score
I’m not a CC fan. I respect that part of her game that is good ( shooting and passing). I don’t respect her defense or a/to ratio. I really disliked the push offs and flops she was allowed to get away with in college.

However, player actions like this and her hate spewing “ detractors” might make me start pulling for her. (Okay, she’s Boston’s teammate too. :rolleyes:)

Reaction Score
Tonight regular season matchup between Sky and DT. Should be a show and wonder what the over-under is on DT picking up a T. My expectation is there will be lots of frustration by Merc. Wonder how the million dollar coaches installation of defense will impact Storm sharpshooters. With Nneka out Ezi should shake and bake

Reaction Score
The part of the Reese quote that was cut off was she said people watch for me too, people watch for ALL of us. But of course the media clipped it to exploit her for clicks.

And honestly trash talking on social media is a normal part of the game. Have we already forgotten the Aces victory parade last year or no?

Y’all need to stop infantilizing these women.
I see. Trash talking outside the basketball court (during the game), conducted on any platform such as social media is a incontrovertible proof of maturity for both women and men. Your world, then.........happy to be far from it.

Reaction Score
I see. Trash talking outside the basketball court (during the game), conducted on any platform such as social media is an incontrovertible proof of maturity for both women and men. Your world, then.........happy to be far from it.
What?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ms. "people are coming to watch me too" was shooting 35% from the floor coming into today, and was 3-12 tonight. I don't see much if any talk about this. For a player that shoots almost exclusively from point blank range, that is awful. She's a good rebounder. Otherwise she has A LOT of work to do.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
1/5th of the way in, which rookies are having an impact?
Obviously Clark, Reese, Brink, and Jackson. After that drops off quite a bit. Edwards has been decent, maybe Martin the biggest surprise so far.

edit--beyond those players, almost nothing else; Pili had 1 big game, Cardoso is just getting started playing now

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cardoso in her second game wasn't nearly as impactful as game 1. 1 pt/5 reb in 12 minutes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aaliyah with 14 points and 9 rebounds against Connecticut had this Canadian girl beaming. :D. She may not stand out like others but she's showing that she belongs at this level.

Alyssa Thomas had an off-night. Was Liya partly responsible?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Weird game. NY was up 31-15 early, Chicago came roaring back to take at least a 3 point lead at one point, then NY quickly went back up double digits.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Weird game. NY was up 31-15 early, Chicago came roaring back to take at least a 3 point lead at one point, then NY quickly went back up double digits.

NY has done that before. But they found their mojo in a 23-9 4th quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom