May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 18 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
The score may not show it, but this game has been good so far.

Both teams are competing hard defensively (some slip-ups are to be expected given the number of young players on each side). Chicago's guard play collectively has looked pretty good. Kamilla looks fantastic in her debut!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My beloved Minnesota Lynx!! What a game!! Our reserves stepped up and showed out last night!! I am so happy that Alissa Pili got some minutes and did well out there. Dorka. Looking and playing better. She looks so much more comfortable out there compared to last season. But our bench putting up 50 was pretty impressive. But I am just happy for Pili. Playing behind Phee, Smith, Dorka, Carleton, and Zandalasini is tough, but Pili stayed ready and did well out there. Way to go, Minnesota!!
After the draft I couldn’t decide whether Pili would be really good or quickly cut. So far she looks pretty good. One thing she gives the Lynx is a totally different look from all of the other fromt-court players. One minute you’ve got a quick finesse player, the next you’ve got a strong, lumbering player who just knows how to get the job done. And has a sweet three-pointer.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The score may not show it, but this game has been good so far.

Both teams are competing hard defensively (some slip-ups are to be expected given the number of young players on each side). Chicago's guard play collectively has looked pretty good. Kamilla looks fantastic in her debut!
Agreed. Both teams are competing hard.
One thing that strikes me is Coach 'Spoon is very hesitant to sub out her three guards of Mabrey, Evans and Carter in the second half.
(And Evans, while hustling, is off on offense.) Cardoso is going to be very difficult to move out of the lane. And Reese is relentless on the offensive boards.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And Reese is relentless on the offensive boards.
She is. She's gotta get better finishing. 2-9 today. One was a mid range jumper, everything else is point blank range.

edit--shooting 37% for the season, that's awful considering where her shots come from

Reaction Score
Someone has finally persuaded the Fever to play like a team, share the ball. All 7 with the most minutes have at least 2 assists, shots well distributed, etc....and the outcome looks good.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Indiana with stupid fouls 2 possessions in a row. Trying to let this one slip away.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Fever hold on. They needed that.

As brutal as their schedule has already been, they have back to back, playing @ New York tomorrow (3rd meeting with the Liberty already). Why do the schedule makers hate them so much?

Reaction Score
Entertaining game between Sky/Fever. Boston was the player of the game. Very affecting while guarding EW, Kamilla, and, at times, Reese, plus she caused many problems for penetrating guards.

Fun watching the Reese/NaLyssa matchup. Kamilla is definitely WNBA ready. 11 pts, 6 rebs in 18 min. Won’t be surprised if she’s the starter in the not too future, and if not, I agree w/ Lobo she will be a finisher, which is more important.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
EWill, sis--let's discuss a possible reunion with the Point Gawd and a shot at a WNBA championship this season.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Entertaining game between Sky/Fever. Boston was the player of the game. Very affecting while guarding EW, Kamilla, and, at times, Reese, plus she caused many problems for penetrating guards.
Aliyah was giving "Baby Jokic" vibes during this game (especially in that first quarter). It's not the only time she's displayed the court vision and passing/distributing ability from the center position.

I'd need to see a lot more, but I wonder if it'd be beneficial for the Fever long-term to explore using Caitlin more as a Jamal Murray type.

Reaction Score
I’m not the biggest fan of Chennedy Carter’s on-court behavior (the foul on Clark today was pretty egregious) but man is she talented. I could see her developing into an elite WNBA shooting guard. Really good pickup for Chicago this year.

Reaction Score
Someone has finally persuaded the Fever to play like a team, share the ball. All 7 with the most minutes has at lest 2 assists, shots well distributed, etc....and the outcome looks good.
Imagine what they're going to be like once they have an actual practice to work on things. Like Lobo said, this schedule of 11 games in 20 days hasn't helped with their progression this season.

Reaction Score
Fever continue this dumb scheduling gauntlet (no doubt for league/TV to take advantage of CC momentum to start the season off), tomorrow on the road against NYL. Then they’ll finally get a bit of a breather as they will get 4 days off to rest and maybe get a much needed practice or two in. Hard to improve greatly w/o practices which is partly why I’m holding back on joining the ‘Fire Sides’ coalition.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Great win for the Fever, albeit an ugly one. There was a lot of good today on both ends. Offensively the team seemed more dialed in on how to handle the doubles on Clark. She feeds the ball to Boston at the FT line and whoever closes out on Boston leaves a perimeter shooter open on the left or right corner for a wide open look. Indiana missed almost all of those looks but there were 4-5 times this play was ran for wide open looks and those shots will start falling. Smith and Boston both played well today. Props to Nalyssa Smith for stepping up while Fagbenle has been out. Not Clark's best game but she passed the ball well. Fever missed SO many open looks today. Clark should've had at least 3 more assists as 3 players missed completely uncontested layups. Boston came through and got the job done at the end though and battled hard all game.

Once Clark develops a floater or midrange she's going to be unstoppable. One of the big adjustments from college is that when she beats her defender off the dribble, she had an open lane for a bucket in college. In the pros, there's usually a 6-5 big (or 2) sliding over to contest her shot so getting a clean look at a layup is much rarer. Consistently taking (and hitting) shots from 5-15 feet will be her bread and butter to combat that.

Chicago was a fun team to watch. I could see the Sky becoming the 80s Detroit Pistons of the WNBA. So many tough and feisty personalities in Reese, Mabrey, Carter and Cardoso. I will give big props to Chennedy Carter (aside from her hip check on Clark that should've been a flagrant), as she's found a good spot in Chicago and looked fantastic. Cardoso also had a big debut, 11 points and 6 boards going up against her old college teammate. Reese looked like Reese--super high energy, no polish. She hit an elbow jumper that looked good, but watching her operate and try to score one on one against opposing bigs just looks wild and out of control at times. Her offensive rebounds are great but I'd guess half are on her own missed shots. Harrison is a much smoother player offensively but doesn't bring the same energy or intangibles that Angel does. Mabrey also had a nice game, she's an all around baller. T-Spoon seems like the right fit for this squad. Talent wise they should be a bottom 2 team but they play hard and wont back down from anyone.

Reaction Score
She is. She's gotta get better finishing. 2-9 today. One was a mid range jumper, everything else is point blank range.

edit--shooting 37% for the season, that's awful considering where her shots come from
She doesn’t take any time to gather herself. Seems to just throw the ball up

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
She doesn’t take any time to gather herself. Seems to just throw the ball up
I agree. She had one of those early in the game when she was being guarded by NaLyssa Smith (a bad defender and not someone she'd immediately have to worry about blocking her shot). I couldn't believe she blew that shot.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I’m not the biggest fan of Chennedy Carter’s on-court behavior (the foul on Clark today was pretty egregious) but man is she talented. I could see her developing into an elite WNBA shooting guard. Really good pickup for Chicago this year.

She's super talented but also her own worst enemy. If she can keep her antics in check the sky's the limit. But she's already been let go from two teams because of her attitude.

Reaction Score
Way to go, Maddy!! I am happy that she is finally getting minutes and making the most of them.
Well Done Reaction GIF
Me, too, JellyBean. Maddie has a level of discipline that many fellow W players don't have. Whether laboring in Dallas alongside Arike or more likely playing a key role for a top contender, she'll make it in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
It's well on pace to being one of the best draft classes ever IMO:

-Jackie Young: 2 Championships, 2nd Team All-WNBA, current MVP candidate
-Napheesa Collier: 2x All-WNBA, current MVP candidate
-Arike Ogunbowale: 2x All-WNBA, current MVP candidate
-Ezi Magbegor: 2x All-WNBA Defensive team, turning into one of the better centers in the league, likely All Star this year
-Marina Mabrey: double digit scorer each season besides her first, likely All Star this year
-Teaira McCowan: double digit scorer every year
-Alanna Smith: double digit scorer this year
-Sophie Cunningham: double digit scorer 2 years
-Natisha Hiedeman: starter on WNBA runner up team
-Brianna Turner: 2x All-WNBA Defensive team

Plus others who have carved out solid careers as role players like Jessica Shepard, Katie Lou Samuelson, Kalani Brown, Megan Gustafson, and Bridget Carleton.

If I redrafted today, I'd probably go Young/Collier/Arike/Magbegor/McCowan/Mabrey/Smith for my top 7.
Well documented and well said, bballnut90. I'd question only your classification of Arike as an MVP candidate.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well documented and well said, bballnut90. I'd question only your classification of Arike as an MVP candidate.
Thanks. Season is still young, but she’s putting up insane numbers: 27.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 2.3 steals. Efficiency needs to improve and Dallas needs to consistently win but I think she’s a top 7-8 candidate right now.

Reaction Score
She's super talented but also her own worst enemy. If she can keep her antics in check the sky's the limit. But she's already been let go from two teams because of her attitude.
She's got Reese egging her on. At least she did today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom