May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 23 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't wait for the discussions on how A'ja is targeted by other players to be topic of discussion tomorrow (sarcasm). Despite the amazing game A'ja took at least 3 shots to the face and I believe it resulted in 1 foul at best. She bled twice and had her contact pop out her eye as a result. I know it's farfetched but I hope those in denial can see how physical this league is for everyone and how dangerous some of these narratives have been.
I think last night's game was not character building for the Aces, but rather character demonstrating. It has been there all the time. As you mention A'ja got wacked in the face three times pretty hard, and I believe the two times that drew blood were the no calls. Of course she complained but then it was back to work.

Young was sick and didn't participate in practice, and took kind of a back seat early in the game, but in the second half with the game still in doubt she stepped up too, despite her illness, and Clark who probably didn't have a great game overall, had to plug on after a major collision. Hayes appeared to be trying to fit in, but still be aggressive at the same time in her first game with the Aces.

Mostly with Wilson and Young, the Aces showed their character last night, as they did in game 4 of the finals minus two starters. They have plenty of talent when healthy, as do other teams, but also seem to have the kind of culture, work ethic, and character that many champions are made of.

Reaction Score
Looks like Hayes has made her debut for the Aces. Have they been off for about a week? They've played about half as many games as the Fever. The scheduling so far is just DUMB.
Does it look like Hayes was even retired? She seemed to fit right in with their offence from what I saw last night.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Does it look like Hayes was even retired? She seemed to fit right in with their offence from what I saw last night.
I didn't get to watch. Hardly any of the Aces games have been on platforms I have so far.

She wasn't retired all that long. Connecticut made a deep run in the playoffs and it's not too hard to imagine she kept herself in reasonable shape in the off season. Not like she was sitting on the shelf for a year or two.

Reaction Score
I didn't get to watch. Hardly any of the Aces games have been on platforms I have so far.

She wasn't retired all that long. Connecticut made a deep run in the playoffs and it's not too hard to imagine she kept herself in reasonable shape in the off season. Not like she was sitting on the shelf for a year or two.
My bad. I'm adding time where it doesn't need to be added. :confused:

Reaction Score
I can't wait for the discussions on how A'ja is targeted by other players to be topic of discussion tomorrow (sarcasm). Despite the amazing game A'ja took at least 3 shots to the face and I believe it resulted in 1 foul at best. She bled twice and had her contact pop out her eye as a result. I know it's farfetched but I hope those in denial can see how physical this league is for everyone and how dangerous some of these narratives have been.
A'ja,Stewie both get hammered a lot for being star players. Stewie took 25 shots the last game only 6 3 pointers, and only shot 3 foul shots.
A lot of the time she played center with Jones in foul trouble, and no Sabally.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hayes is a massive pickup for Vegas, especially if Gray is out indefinitely. Gives them another athletic weapon on the wing to mix in with Clark/Young/Martin. Announcer put it best last night, it's like they were just gifted another solid 1st round draft pick.

Reaction Score
A'ja,Stewie both get hammered a lot for being star players. Stewie took 25 shots the last game only 6 3 pointers, and only shot 3 foul shots.
A lot of the time she played center with Jones in foul trouble, and no Sabally.

I'm not sure how the clearly non-basketball plays on Clark relate to how other players take hard fouls on basketball moves.

It's not that the game is physical in general it's that she takes cheap shots that are pretty clearly out of bounds and motivated by jealousy.

I think maybe she's a big girl and doesn't need the Klan to come defend her honor, but maybe we can acknowledge the real issue rather than say it's not different from getting fouled hard in the paint.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how the clearly non-basketball plays on Clark relate to how other players take hard fouls on basketball moves.

It's not that the game is physical in general it's that she takes cheap shots that are pretty clearly out of bounds and motivated by jealousy.

I think maybe she's a big girl and doesn't need the Klan to come defend her honor, but maybe we can acknowledge the real issue rather than say it's not different from getting fouled hard in the paint.
The issue SHE complained about to the press was that she gets hammered and doesn’t get calls. And then her coach said they’ve been sending in tape for all the calls she doesn’t get.

There is a separate issue of one player hip checking her before the ball is inbounds but there are also a lot of people, fans Clark and Coach, about how few calls she gets during the game.

Reaction Score
I’m not sayin she’s the golden goose but she is all ESPN has been speaking about. Last year this year… shoot I saw one of the shows asking if Indiana can turn their season around. Doesn’t matter that the big 10 didn’t have media rights
Most Big Ten Fans don't pay attention to ESPN until the women's tournament.

Reaction Score
I know! She looked like she was on the roster from Day one! Just threw out the whole "Gotta develop chemistry with the team" or the "She gotta get her rhythm back and learn the system". Tiffany was balling!! 21 minutes and she was playing like she has been with the Aces through training camp and two preseason games. Pretty impressive.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
@nwhoopfan

I've watched a number of Chicago Sky games and agree that many - so many -- of her follow-up shots are off base. Initially, she does a good job crashing when coming from the weak-side to grab the rebound. For whatever reason -- rushed, poor mechanics, try to draw fouls -- the follow-up/put-back is off. Sometimes so far off, that Reese is the perfect person to grab the rebound, shoot and miss again. I'm amazed at how many of her offensive rebounds are off her own missed shots.

None of these teams have down or practice time, but Reese would very much benefit from some coaching/advice and practice on this aspect of her game. Once again, her ability to get to the first rebound is beyond reproach. But the next step ....

Reese is an odd combination of long, athletic, and uncoordinated.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hayes is a massive pickup for Vegas, especially if Gray is out indefinitely. Gives them another athletic weapon on the wing to mix in with Clark/Young/Martin. Announcer put it best last night, it's like they were just gifted another solid 1st round draft pick.

People forget that Tiff is a good defender, using her length effectively.

Reaction Score

Outside of the Chennedy play can you actually name or recall a legit cheap shot she received from anyone? I'm asking honestly because I'm trying to see what everyone else sees. What I saw from A'ja yesterday that went uncalled and even Skylar got called for a foul where she had a bloody mouth as well went beyond anything I had seen Clark go through this season.

If I'm being honest I don't even think the hip check was out of jealousy. It appears to me a boneheaded poor attempt at retaliation from the elbow and words she received from Clark in the prior play.

The narratives being applied to the players of the W are dangerous and from what I've seen largely untrue. Some people keep in implying she's received multiple non-basketball plays directed towards her and I have yet to see anyone actually prove it.

Again I'm asking honestly to everyone, if anyone can please link me any non-basketball plays that Caitlin has received please let me know. I'm trying to understand the other side.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Reese is an odd combination of long, athletic, and uncoordinated.
I’ve heard game commentary that she was a point guard when younger but hit a growth spurt, I can’t see it.

Reaction Score
Outside of the Chennedy play can you actually name or recall a legit cheap shot she received from anyone? I'm asking honestly because I'm trying to see what everyone else sees. What I saw from A'ja yesterday that went uncalled and even Skylar got called for a foul where she had a bloody mouth as well went beyond anything I had seen Clark go through this season.

If I'm being honest I don't even think the hip check was out of jealousy. It appears to me a boneheaded poor attempt at retaliation from the elbow and words she received from Clark in the prior play.

The narratives being applied to the players of the W are dangerous and from what I've seen largely untrue. Some people keep in implying she's received multiple non-basketball plays directed towards her and I have yet to see anyone actually prove it.

Again I'm asking honestly to everyone, if anyone can please link me any non-basketball plays that Caitlin has received please let me know. I'm trying to understand the other side.
The media blitz is about the cheap shot.

I disagreed with the analysis that Clark flopped on the other one and Reese definitely taunted her, but I can see that was a basketball play basically.

She definitely takes a lot of stuff that is jealousy.

I think she can handle it.

Reaction Score
The media blitz is about the cheap shot.

I disagreed with the analysis that Clark flopped on the other one and Reese definitely taunted her, but I can see that was a basketball play basically.

She definitely takes a lot of stuff that is jealousy.

I think she can handle it.
What specifically on the court has shown that.

Reaction Score
What specifically on the court has shown that.
I've asked that same question on the board and to friends who think she's getting rougher treatment than others.

The only other "example" they've given me is Breanna Stewart's pick. Other than that it's been anecdotal as most haven't seen any of the games.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Don't have visual access to the Mystics-Sky game, but it's currently 15-14, Sky, and Aaliyah Edwards has 8 pts on 4-4 shooting. She is probably going up against the other rookie forward in the game, Angel Reese. Chicago has multiple scorers....

Reaction Score
I've asked that same question on the board and to friends who think she's getting rougher treatment than others.

The only other "example" they've given me is Breanna Stewart's pick. Other than that it's been anecdotal as most haven't seen any of the games.

And there was nothing wrong with Stewie’s pick except her teammates not telling her it was coming

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Washington BLEW a great game by Aaliyah Edwards. SHAME! Those who watched the game could see it coming a mile away, though.

There's another chance to get win #1 tomorrow, but it will come against a rested (and motivated) Fever team.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
I've seen just about enough from Tanisha Wright. It isn't going to work.

I also don't know how Lorela Cubaj keeps hanging around the league. She's awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom