May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 27 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So in the meantime, they're just supposed to keep playing players out of position, continue to lose games, and fall further in the standings?

Odd take.
Regarding Chelsea and the Aces.

I'm not really convinced it's an odd take.

Grey demonstrated that she is a singular talent and an elite point guard. Her return will certainly allow the Aces and Hammond to consistently perform at the level of the past 2 years.

It's not surprising that in-game performance and consistency has suffered in her absence. If elite point guards were as common as controversies on Twitter the Aces would have picked one up.

The reality is they aren't and the Aces in my view are taking the correct strategy and maintaining a top four standing while they await the return of their leader.

The downside is the intense wear on the treads of the starting four.

As I say that I'm thinking of the new biography Charlie Hustle about Pete Rose. (A great read about a tragic figure who reflects a great deal of our culture, society, and character) Say what you will about Pete and the athletes of that era but they played almost every game. I do understand it's a different sport in a different era and the effort extended by these modern elite athletes is exhausting...(Interesting how we instinctively look for an explanation or even an excuse for modern athletes compared to those in very recent eras Jordan, Rose, well the list goes on. Jordan's records will never be broken nor will Rose's)

With that said I see Kelsey Plum smiling(actually mugging for the camera as the announcer pointed out in their last game) Jackie Young persevering, Stokes boarding and defending, Clark belying her years and of course the great one being great.

Let's look at the standings ahead of the Aces. The Sun with their unbelievable defense can be beaten due to an inconsistency on the offensive side of the ball.

The Liberty are struggling with the same problem as the Aces.

The Lynx the dark horse in all this seem to be lost in the conversation. If the Aces don't three repeat is it possible Cheryl Reese finally wins again?

I don't buy or trust the Storm. While Quinn is not the million-dollar coach of the Pacific Northwest she really hasn't demonstrated that she's in Hammond or Brondello's league.

So it'll be a dog fight among the top four. As it should be.

Depending on how they reseed the playoffs in spite of the optimism in Connecticut I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a rematch from last year's final.

In any event the early portion of the season has been exciting, thrilling, particularly when you think about how the Aces ran away with everything last year. As a fan I think I prefer this type of year rather than the dominance the healthy Aces imposed on The League last year

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm having a hard time thinking of any other team in the league that has a better fourth option among their starters than her.

Seattle has a Big 4! All scoring between 14 and 20 ppg.

Reaction Score
Gut check time. Is it possible the Mystics night breakthrough for their first victory on the road in the Big Apple?

The Liberty have less than 24 hours rest for this early tip. All the starters played big minutes in that tough game against the Sun and expended amazing amounts of energy.

Stewie. 37min
JJ. 38 min
Laney 37 min
Sab 34 min

Odd if the difference makers in this game are Burke and Dojkic.

Atkins has a perfect opportunity ......

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well it was close, but Washington still winless. Another big game for JJ.

Melbourne led the Mystics with 21 off the bench. I am going to continue questioning why she is not still in Seattle. She is clearly a much, much better player at this point than either Muhl or K. Williams, and she is younger than both of them. The Seattle brain trust really whiffed on that call.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Minnesota takes it to Seattle 83-64, at home, led by Napheesa Collier's double-double (19 points, 14 rebounds), Bridget Carleton's 13 points and Kayla McBride's 32-poins, in which she shot 9-13 overall, 7-10 from three and 7 of 7 from the FT line. She has the most three pointers in the league and is shooting 51% from three-point land. Collier and Carleton are rounding into form for the U.S.A and Canadian Olympic teams and if an opening arises (due to injury/illness) on the U.S.A. team, Coach Reeve should just grab K-Mac on they way to the airport. Knows her place, what her role is and has been delivering all year, both in Euope and the WNBA.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Minnesota takes it to Seattle 83-64, at home, led by Napheesa Collier's double-double (19 points, 14 rebounds), Bridget Carleton's 13 points and Kayla McBride's 32-point r, in which she shot 9-13 overall, 7-10 from three and 7 of 7 from the FT line. She has the most three pointers in the league and is shooting 51% from three-point land. Collier and Carleton are rounding into form for the U.S.A and Canadian Olympic teams and if an opening arises (due to injury/illness) on the U.S.A. team, Coach Reeve should just grab K-Mac on they way to the airport. Knows her place, what her role is and has been delivering all year, both in Euope and the WNBA.

K-Mac is absolutely tearing up the league this year, she's always been a strong player but she's taken it to a next level this season.

Her former backcourt mate, Loyd with another high volume shooting game. Just 9-27 shooting. No one should ever take 27 shots in a game when they Nneka as a teammate.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tight game in LA, Sparks up by 4 late. What happened to Jackie Young? Is she injured? More than half of Vegas's FGA are from Plum and Wilson. Kind of wild how this time last year they were the most balanced team in the league with those 2 plus Parker, Young and Gray in the lineup, and now they're overly reliant on just 2-3 players.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Kayla McBride is arguably the best 2 guard in the league thus far this year. Jackie Young still has better overall game, but she's been cold to start the season. The other star ND SGs (Arike/Jewel) are both starting the year out REAL streaky from the field.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Tight game in LA, Sparks up by 4 late. What happened to Jackie Young? Is she injured? More than half of Vegas's FGA are from Plum and Wilson. Kind of wild how this time last year they were the most balanced team in the league with those 2 plus Parker, Young and Gray in the lineup, and now they're overly reliant on just 2-3 players.
The boxscore doesn't indicate injury but Jackie Young has got 0:00 there. FWIW, Hayes scored 17 points and Kate Martin 13, but under the 5 minute mark, Plum and/or A'ja took/initiated virtually everything with Young not being in there. On top of that, Coach Hammons was tossed with a minute left.

Dearica Hamby, of course, looked very happy but the Sparks better smile now...they've got a 7-game road trip starting....now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jackie is sick. Her illness affected her play last game.

So, Vegas starts the game 14-0 and loses to L.A. They are now 5-4 and tied for 5th. Unreal!

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Kate did great

A'ja still that girl

No comment on the rest

5-4 record says exactly who this team is--a crappy one that has no PG, no starting C, and no depth. No way the organization can stand pat. They have to start sending some of that dead weight home.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Kayla McBride is arguably the best 2 guard in the league thus far this year. Jackie Young still has better overall game, but she's been cold to start the season. The other star ND SGs (Arike/Jewel) are both starting the year out REAL streaky from the field.
I've said this before but Jackie is normally a three, when Gray is there. But she's been doing the lead in the pt. guard by committee rotation and that has to influence your game when it's not a natural part of it. As I've written, it's not sustainable over the long run.

As for K-Mac, agree totally with one caveat: she's the best two in the W and the Euro.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
I mean what do want them to do? It’s likely only a couple more weeks before she returns. As long as she doesn’t get hurt at the Olympics they’ll be fine and likely cruise to a 3peat. This is the height of overreaction. They MIGHT (probably won’t) take a few more losses but they’ll still be a top 4 team and the team to beat come October.
Acquire a PG. I've been saying this.

Send some of those grifters on the bench home. They served their purpose in the past (except for Kierstan Bell--she has STUNK IT UP for her entire WNBA career and, honestly, should not be on a WNBA roster), but the stakes are much higher now. You can't carry players on the roster that serve as "culture pieces". Either they can play or they can't. If they can't, then pink slip them.

Becky also needs to apologize for not having this team ready for the season because WTF is this defense???? Her coaching this season has left much to be desired. The Aces FO needs to be called into question as well because this is the third season in a row that the team does not have a bench despite all the stars taking less money. They're not getting the job done.

Being 5-4 is an issue, but being 5-4 with losses to Atlanta, Phoenix (sans Griner), and LA (WTF???) is inexcusable.

Reaction Score
It’s weird seeing the Aces in the middle of the standings after their dominant season last year. But Gray is a huge loss, and a lot of their problems get solved when she returns. Plus this loss to a bad Sparks team has an asterisk, Young out dealing with illness.

I do agree, they’ve made questionable choices to keep Bell and Colson on the roster. Both are pretty useless. But the acquisition of Hayes was a real steal. Plus drafting Martin seems like a great move in hindsight. They’ll also have Kitley next year who could get a look over Gustafson. But for now they look very mortal, but that could change quickly when Gray and Young slot back into the lineup.

Reaction Score
Acquire a PG. I've been saying this.

Send some of those grifters on the bench home. They served their purpose in the past (except for Kierstan Bell--she has STUNK IT UP for her entire WNBA career and, honestly, should not be on a WNBA roster), but the stakes are much higher now. You can't carry players on the roster that serve as "culture pieces". Either they can play or they can't. If they can't, then pink slip them.

Becky also needs to apologize for not having this team ready for the season because WTF is this defense???? Her coaching this season has left much to be desired. The Aces FO needs to be called into question as well because this is the third season in a row that the team does not have a bench despite all the stars taking less money. They're not getting the job done.

Being 5-4 is an issue, but being 5-4 with losses to Atlanta, Phoenix (sans Griner), and LA (WTF???) is inexcusable.
What point guards are available though? At least half the league needs a PG. And what trade capital does Vegas even have to trade for one with when they will just be sending said PG to the bench in a week or two

Reaction Score
Kate did great

A'ja still that girl

No comment on the rest

5-4 record says exactly who this team is--a crappy one that has no PG, no starting C, and no depth. No way the organization can stand pat. They have to start sending some of that dead weight home.
Jackson had her way with Kate in the 4th.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
It’s weird seeing the Aces in the middle of the standings after their dominant season last year. But Gray is a huge loss, and a lot of their problems get solved when she returns. Plus this loss to a bad Sparks team has an asterisk, Young out dealing with illness.

I do agree, they’ve made questionable choices to keep Bell and Colson on the roster. Both are pretty useless. But the acquisition of Hayes was a real steal. Plus drafting Martin seems like a great move in hindsight. They’ll also have Kitley next year who could get a look over Gustafson. But for now they look very mortal, but that could change quickly when Gray and Young slot back into the lineup.
I do like the Tip Hayes acquisition and think it will pay off eventually.

Despite the loss, the team doesn't seem to be down in the dumps--which could be a good thing.

Reaction Score

I mean do all of Phoenix’s losses get an asterisk excuse they’ve so far occurred without Griner and most without Allen too? Do the Liberty get some sort of super stamp for beating CT without their starting PG?

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Jackson had her way with Kate in the 4th.
I would expect a lottery pick (one that some people said could be an All-Star before long) to have their way with a second rounder making her first ever WNBA start. Rickea has been lit up by not-so-stellar competition at points during this season, so maybe this was her chance to show out.

Reaction Score
The only thing I’d be worried about as a Vegas fan would be health. Becky rode her starters down last season and this season with them having so many injuries already the minutes seem to be even more highly concentrated than last year AND it’s an Olympic year where their core 4 will not be getting a break this time.

Can Plum, A’ja and Young keep up this production playing 35 minutes a game the next 4 months? Can Gray play that much at that high a level and stay healthy? Can Clark keep playing 30 minutes a night at 36 without wearing down? The issues they have now are temporary but they need to figure out ways to get they key players rest so injuries don’t compound.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
What point guards are available though? At least half the league needs a PG. And what trade capital does Vegas even have to trade for one with when they will just be sending said PG to the bench in a week or two
Odyssey Sims is available.

Until last week, Veronica Burton (a defensive-minded PG) was available.

Destanni Henderson (Henny) is available.

Shey Peddy is available.

If they want a more defensive-minded PG (even one that's a rookie), Jaylyn Sherrod is available.

There are/were options. The organization just decided not to act on them because they keep harping on the team having enough in their locker room. The rest of the league sees that Vegas has three starters (and no PG to get the team into sets/move the ball) and will continue to pounce.

Reaction Score
Odyssey Sims is available.

Until last week, Veronica Burton (a defensive-minded PG) was available.

Destanni Henderson (Henny) is available.

Shey Peddy is available.

If they want a more defensive-minded PG (even one that's a rookie), Jaylyn Sherrod is available.

There are/were options. The organization just decided not to act on them because they keep harping on the team having enough in their locker room. The rest of the league sees that Vegas has three starters (and no PG to get the team into sets/move the ball) and will continue to pounce.
Peddy isn’t a PG and Sherrod, Simms and Henderson aren’t good enough to get minutes on this team. I also doubt would get minutes under Becky and is an offensive liability. None of these players would make Vegas any better imo and I don’t think any would get minutes given the players above then in the rotation.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Peddy isn’t a PG and Sherrod, Simms and Henderson aren’t good enough to get minutes on this team. I also doubt would get minutes under Becky and is an offensive liability. None of these players would make Vegas any better imo and I don’t think any would get minutes given the players above then in the rotation.
Yeah, kinda hilarious to be beating this drum about needing a PG, and then suggest these players who wouldn't help much if any. And certainly none of them has shown to be play making, team leading PGs in the WNBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom