May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 29 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Vegas's defense continued to struggle, giving up 100 to Minnesota. The Aces are now 5-5. Last year, they finished 34-6. Can they go 29-1 to match that? I think not.

Both Washington and Minnesota excelled from the arc tonight. When 50 points or so come from deep, a win is very likely.
The Aces will improve tremendously on both sides of the ball once Gray returns imo.

Reaction Score
The Aces will improve tremendously on both sides of the ball once Gray returns imo.
Yes! People just do not comprehend what a good defender she actually is. On the ball and especially with off the ball help defense. She knows how to use spacing. On offense when the guards start to play hero ball she gets them back on track.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes! People just do not comprehend what a good defender she actually is. On the ball and especially with off the ball help defense. She knows how to use spacing. On offense when the guards start to play hero ball she gets them back on track.

She also improves the defense by not turning the ball over. Last night's game looked like a track meet at times, with Minnesota pushing the ball hard against Vegas.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Pretty much everyone for MN played well last night, but especially the Chicago duo: Alanna Smith and Courtney Williams.

Alanna Smith completely reinvigorated her career with the Sky last year and is shooting even better with the Lynx. Last year was first time Williams was asked to play a PG role, and she did surprisingly well. Now she's able to step into that role for MN too.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Pretty much everyone for MN played well last night, but especially the Chicago duo: Alanna Smith and Courtney Williams.

Alanna Smith completely reinvigorated her career with the Sky last year and is shooting even better with the Lynx. Last year was first time Williams was asked to play a PG role, and she did surprisingly well. Now she's able to step into that role for MN too.
Funny to think Phoenix had a first crack at both of them out of the draft, and clearly whiffed the development assignment. I'm so delighted to see Smith come into her own - she was Stanford's most successful versatile big in the years between Nicole Powell and Cameron Brink, so it's been so great to see her flex her chops in the W now too.

Last edited:

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Most people know that while Chelsea's not the best perimeter defender on the team in terms of ability (Jackie is, even though we haven't seen much of it this season) on the team, she's far from being the worst (KP is, hands down). Due to her size and ability to read the opposing team's offense, she's the leader defensively for the team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Washington finally wins. Beat Atlanta 87-68. Hitting 17 threes will do that for you. Of course Sykes is back and hit 4 of them. Dolson pitched in with a couple. Not much from AE after she picked up 3 fouls early on trying to guard Tina.
I think the "of course" was the capper: Having Brittany Sykes back for this team is vitally important, for her presence on both offense and defense. Offensively, she can help with spacing and, if last night is any indication, allow Atkins to get some cleaner looks at the basket. Looks like she's on a time restriction, which is smart. Vanloo has been playing well and keeping her around low 20-minutes per game is probably smart, too. maximize both players.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Funny to think Phoenix had a first crack at both of them out of the draft, and clearly whiffed the development assignment. I'm so delighted to see Smith come into her own - she was Stanford's most successful versatile big in the years between Nicole Powell and Cameron Brink, so it's been so great to see her flex her chops in the W now too.
Per Alanna's journey to Chicago and now Minnesota, I agree that she flourished by getting away from Phoenix. Ironically, she got the extra minutes in Chicago when Morgan Bertsch twisted her ankle (they had been splitting minutes.). Fast forward to the end of the season: Smith signs with Minnesota and the rights to Bertsch go to Phoenix in the Copper trade. And yesterday, Bertsch gets cut. Now, she's no Smith, but can give solid minutes at that forward position in the right situation. Apparently, the Valley of the Sun isn't it. Let's see if she can find the right place to get a chance (again) as Ms. Smith did.

P.S. As a Domer, I very much remember Smith beating up on the Irish for a few years, along with Karlie "Bank Shot" Samuelsson. Good matches, all. A lot of those players are in the W, for both sides.

Reaction Score
Vegas's defense continued to struggle, giving up 100 to Minnesota. The Aces are now 5-5. Last year, they finished 34-6. Can they go 29-1 to match that? I think not.

Both Washington and Minnesota excelled from the arc tonight. When 50 points or so come from deep, a win is very likely.
With Sykes on the floor Washington is an entirely different team. Unfortunately I'm not sure her ankle or foot is fully recovered as she did leave the game in the 4th quarter.

Minnesota truly is putting together an outstanding season. Reeves is to be commended for roster construction. While she may not be in the same league as the million dollar coach in the valley of the Sun she certainly made the right pickups in the off season.

Reaction Score
Per Alanna's journey to Chicago and now Minnesota, I agree that she flourished by getting away from Phoenix. Ironically, she got the extra minutes in Chicago when Morgan Bertsch twisted her ankle (they had been splitting minutes.). Fast forward to the end of the season: Smith signs with Minnesota and the rights to Bertsch go to Phoenix in the Copper trade. And yesterday, Bertsch gets cut. Now, she's no Smith, but can give solid minutes at that forward position in the right situation. Apparently, the Valley of the Sun isn't it. Let's see if she can find the right place to get a chance (again) as Ms. Smith did.
In general always a positive to get out of phoenix. This is really a illustrative of the incompetence in the valley of the Sun. Let's see we'll trade Alana Smith away for nothing.

The dumpster fire in Phoenix stands in stark contrast to the outstanding professional management and coaching in Minnesota.

Over the past 5 years as the dumpster fire has intensified one can look at the moves made by the ownership and management in Phoenix and you just have to laugh. Start by getting rid of Sandy Brondello and let's see the revolving door includes Vanessa Nygaard, Nikki Blue, and now the million dollar coach.

Then let's trade away all the draft picks. I mean we have the GOAT and BG and they'll play forever right.

My evaluation of Phoenix is that they're the George Costanza of the w. Perhaps they should take George's direction and just do the opposite

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The reeling Sky encounter a buzz saw tonight.

Over under that Reese hits her numbers from the first encounter?

Over under that the Sky stay within four of the league leaders?

Over under that Carter cheap shots Reese in an effort to get all the high draft picks?

Reaction Score
The reeling Sky encounter a buzz saw tonight.

Over under that Reese hits her numbers from the first encounter?

Over under that the Sky stay within four of the league leaders?

Over under that Carter cheap shots Reese in an effort to get all the high draft picks?
Huh?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Most people know that while Chelsea's not the best perimeter defender on the team in terms of ability (Jackie is, even though we haven't seen much of it this season) on the team, she's far from being the worst (KP is, hands down). Due to her size and ability to read the opposing team's offense, she's the leader defensively for the team.
The next time you say anything even halfway complimentary about Plum will be the first time. You do realize she actually was an important cog in two Championships, right?

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
The next time you say anything even halfway complimentary about Plum will be the first time. You do realize she actually was an important cog in two Championships, right?
If you can take digs at A'ja Wilson on here for years without any sort of blowback, I can point out legit criticism of a lesser player on the same team. Sounds like you're being a wee bit sensitive over a 30-year-old who knows she should be playing much better than she is right now.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Angel Reese talk starting to pick up steam:

I wasn't one who thought her game would translate right away, so good for Angel for continuing to improve.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese talk starting to pick up steam:

I wasn't one who thought her game would translate right away, so good for Angel for continuing to improve.

?

Clark averaging 16.3 through 13 games.

Reese averaging 12.4 through 11 games

Perhaps the tweet was referring to rookies playing in Chicago.lol

If the Tweeter was referring to performance in June only the Sky have played five games and the Fever four games.

Maybe we'll see an update from this Tweeter after the Fever play tonight and each player has five games under their belt at the month of June.

Reaction Score
Boston finally had herself a game! :mad:
Flexing Lebron James GIF by NBA

I hope it's a tale of two halves to the season. Mitchell FINALLY was starting to look herself again and Samuelson looks like she is starting to get into a rhythm.

Reaction Score
How about Seattle!!? First few games of the season, folks were saying how things would not workout. There would be chemistry issues. Coach Quinn was in over her head and other negative things. They are clicking now and playing some decent ball. 9-4. Not bad for a team with chemistry issues.

Reaction Score
Boston finally had herself a game! :mad:
Flexing Lebron James GIF by NBA

I hope it's a tale of two halves to the season. Mitchell FINALLY was starting to look herself again and Samuelson looks like she is starting to get into a rhythm.
They are changing the pace and playing more through Boston. After the 2nd half of the last game it looks more like the Fever of the last year. Props to Sides for actually making the change because I know there's a ton of pressure to make Caitlin the focal point at all times

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If you can take digs at A'ja Wilson on here for years without any sort of blowback, I can point out legit criticism of a lesser player on the same team. Sounds like you're being a wee bit sensitive over a 30-year-old who knows she should be playing much better than she is right now.
I really don't know what you are referring to. In past years her post season performance wasn't up to the same level as during the regular season, which I noted. But that is a thing of the past, she's been outstanding in the playoffs during each of the Championship seasons. I really don't think I've made a habit of taking shots at Wilson.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
How about Seattle!!? First few games of the season, folks were saying how things would not workout. There would be chemistry issues. Coach Quinn was in over her head and other negative things. They are clicking now and playing some decent ball. 9-4. Not bad for a team with chemistry issues.
Put in a steady effort in Arlington tonight; jumping to an 8-pt. lead (and eventual margin of victory) en route to a 92-84 victory over the Wings. Their big three all played consistently:
  • Skylar Diggins-Smith: 21 pts (8-15 shooting overall) and 6 assists
  • Jewell Loyd: 19 points (8-16) shooting and 6 assists
  • Nneka Ogwumike: 17 points (7-13 shooting) and 6 assists

Game was pretty even statistically, with the key stat line being Seattle scored 27 pts of turnovers as opposed to Dallas only getting 13.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Granted, it's only Phoenix, but this is the best that the Aces have looked in a while. Hopefully they can sustain this effort.

Having a ball mover out there for long stretches makes a difference. Syd looked FANTASTIC in that first half!

Jack's back--and not a moment too soon!

Tip--need you to wake up in the 2nd half. It's Phoenix--you should be able to score against them as a downhill driver. Also, STOP FOULING!

Can't watch the 2nd half--doesn't matter since they'll likely blow it. But at least we know that there are actual signs of life. That first half 3-point shooting >>>>

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Vegas had 12 points in Q1, then 42 more in Q2. Jackie had 21 of those. She starts Q3 with her 6th trey. I think she's feeling better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom