May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 28 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Minnesota takes it to Seattle 83-64, at home
Seattle up by 5 at halftime. What a second half for the Lynx. And not a good second half for the Storm. 47-23 Minny in the second frame.

Reaction Score
Kate did great

A'ja still that girl

No comment on the rest

5-4 record says exactly who this team is--a crappy one that has no PG, no starting C, and no depth. No way the organization can stand pat. They have to start sending some of that dead weight home.
Holy crap! I owe you an apology. You would point out the flaws in the Aces and I would say "Oh. The Aces will be okay". After watching that Aces/Sparks game, the Aces got problems and it really is on the defensive end. On the offensive side of things, they are struggling with making shots and shots selection. But on defense. They can't stop anyone. I figured with the Sparks game, the Aces would come out and assert themselves. They did for a quarter but after that it was back and forth. The Aces are good but they have to figure some things out.

Reaction Score
K-Mac powering the Lynx! Went to the game yesterday and for a minute there, it looked like Seattle was going to steal a win in Minny but thankfully Minnesota turned it on in that 2nd half. I am really happy for Kayla though. We all knew that she could shoot and get buckets. This season, her shot is there and consistent! 70% from 3-point land! Way to go, Kayla!! Great win, Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Jackson had her way with Kate in the 4th.
Rickea is an elite talent who will have her way with most defenders... that said, she scored two baskets off Kate in the fourth quarter. Her other two hoops that period were in transition...

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
7-22.

No, that's not a Megan Thee Stallion Hot Girl tour date.

Those are Kelsey Plum's shooting numbers against the Sparks last night. She is shooting 36% from the field and 35% from three through nine games. That is horrific.

If we can highlight when other guards are shooting the ball poorly, then we certainly discuss this.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Peddy isn’t a PG and Sherrod, Simms and Henderson aren’t good enough to get minutes on this team. I also doubt would get minutes under Becky and is an offensive liability. None of these players would make Vegas any better imo and I don’t think any would get minutes given the players above then in the rotation.
No offense, but I stand by what I said. I'd rather have a ball mover at PG than two SGs who have shown that they can't balance scoring and playmaking. Both Jackie and KP are shooting in the 30s on high volume (which is affecting their ability to run an efficient offense because they feel that they have to "get theirs"), so having someone come in who can eat PG minutes would be a big plus even if they aren't scoring 20 a game on 30% shooting.

Reaction Score
No offense, but I stand by what I said. I'd rather have a ball mover at PG than two SGs who have shown that they can't balance scoring and playmaking. Both Jackie and KP are shooting in the 30s on high volume (which is affecting their ability to run an efficient offense because they feel that they have to "get theirs"), so having someone come in who can eat PG minutes would be a big plus even if they aren't scoring 20 a game on 30% shooting.
Look at yesterday's Liberty game and see what missing a PG does. 2 players had a combined 15 turnovers between them.
Could easily have lost that game.

Reaction Score
Rickea is an elite talent who will have her way with most defenders... that said, she scored two baskets off Kate in the fourth quarter. Her other two hoops that period were in transition...
Martin may have a role.

It does not include responsibility for guarding athletic wings. To the extent Jackson dominated in the paint and in transition it indicates Martin's limitations. I see her a bit like Clark without the experience. It's either or as the team can't have both on the floor at the same time against elite league opponents.

That's said and recognizing plus minus is a team stat in 32 minutes Martin was plus one in 32 minutes while Jackson was - 11 in her 23 minutes.

Martin did turn the ball over three times as well. It's interesting and in 5 years it'll certainly be interesting to see the development of these two players.

Reaction Score
Martin may have a role.

It does not include responsibility for guarding athletic wings. To the extent Jackson dominated in the paint and in transition it indicates Martin's limitations. I see her a bit like Clark without the experience. It's either or as the team can't have both on the floor at the same time against elite league opponents.

That's said and recognizing plus minus is a team stat in 32 minutes Martin was plus one in 32 minutes while Jackson was - 11 in her 23 minutes.

Martin did turn the ball over three times as well. It's interesting and in 5 years it'll certainly be interesting to see the development of these two players.
Good stuff, azfan.

I'm admittedly a Kate Martin fan, having followed her throughout her lengthy stay at Iowa. I am so happy that her guts, smarts and hard work have resulted in what she's experiencing right now.

Whether she's able to hang on in the WNBA remains to be seen. I suspect before too many years have elapsed, she'll be grabbed by some franchise, perhaps the Aces, as an assistant coach and prospective head coach.

As for Rickea, she's a superior athlete for whom the sky is the limit, if she can balance her social media interests and avoid pitfalls that have brought down so many potential stars in many of our big-time pro leagues. I hope she's an all-star for years to come (and a teammate to Caitlin Clark on the next few Olympic teams).

Reaction Score
Good stuff, azfan.

I'm admittedly a Kate Martin fan, having followed her throughout her lengthy stay at Iowa. I am so happy that her guts, smarts and hard work have resulted in what she's experiencing right now.

Whether she's able to hang on in the WNBA remains to be seen. I suspect before too many years have elapsed, she'll be grabbed by some franchise, perhaps the Aces, as an assistant coach and prospective head coach.

As for Rickea, she's a superior athlete for whom the sky is the limit, if she can balance her social media interests and avoid pitfalls that have brought down so many potential stars in many of our big-time pro leagues. I hope she's an all-star for years to come (and a teammate to Caitlin Clark on the next few Olympic teams).
I could see Kate Martin making a career of being the 6th/7th option off the bench with the Aces. She could do that for the next 5+ years and transition to coaching.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
7-22.

No, that's not a Megan Thee Stallion Hot Girl tour date.

Those are Kelsey Plum's shooting numbers against the Sparks last night. She is shooting 36% from the field and 35% from three through nine games. That is horrific.

If we can highlight when other guards are shooting the ball poorly, then we certainly discuss this.

I didn't realize how low her percentages are this year. Guard shooting has been dreadful to start the year:

Kelsey Plum: 36.3% FG, 34.9% 3pt
Arike Ogunbowale: 36.1% FG, 30.0% 3pt
Jewell Loyd: 34.1% FG, 29.4% 3pt
Jackie Young: 39.8% FG, 32.0% 3pt
Caitlin Clark: 37.3% FG, 32.7% 3pt
Diana Taurasi: 37.1% FG, 34.0% 3pt
Kesley Mitchell: 38.5% FG, 33.3% 3pt
Rhyne Howard: 39.1% FG, 27.3% 3pt
Skylar Diggins-Smith: 38.0% FG, 28.2% 3pt
Ariel Atkins: 36.3% FG, 31.3% 3pt

The only guards shooting over 40% from the field with 12+ ppg are:
Kayla McBride
Sabrina Ionescu
Allisha Gray
Marina Mabrey
Chennedy Carter
Betnijah Laney-Hamilton

Reaction Score
I didn't realize how low her percentages are this year. Guard shooting has been dreadful to start the year:

Kelsey Plum: 36.3% FG, 34.9% 3pt
Arike Ogunbowale: 36.1% FG, 30.0% 3pt
Jewell Loyd: 34.1% FG, 29.4% 3pt
Jackie Young: 39.8% FG, 32.0% 3pt
Caitlin Clark: 37.3% FG, 32.7% 3pt
Diana Taurasi: 37.1% FG, 34.0% 3pt
Kesley Mitchell: 38.5% FG, 33.3% 3pt
Rhyne Howard: 39.1% FG, 27.3% 3pt
Skylar Diggins-Smith: 38.0% FG, 28.2% 3pt
Ariel Atkins: 36.3% FG, 31.3% 3pt

The only guards shooting over 40% from the field with 12+ ppg are:
Kayla McBride
Sabrina Ionescu
Allisha Gray
Marina Mabrey
Chennedy Carter
Betnijah Laney-Hamilton
The Caitlin Clark effect? :p

I kid, I kid...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I could see Kate Martin making a career of being the 6th/7th option off the bench with the Aces. She could do that for the next 5+ years and transition to coaching.
They’ve kept Sydney Colson for several years. I think Colson was a really good college player, but Martin will be a better pro. Evidently Colson is a positive locker-room presence, which counts for a lot. I’d be shocked if Martin ever is not a positive in the locker room. Her teammates already seem to love her. If there’s a pattern, it would militate toward Kate having a long WNBA career.

Reaction Score
Aces fans will learn a great deal about the resiliency of their team over the upcoming week. Of the 4 games facing LV 3 will be a challenge. Having Young back even at less than 100% will be helpful and I'm looking toward the Mercury Aces game as the bellwether.... for both teams.

Reaction Score
"The Fever, who fell to 3-10, have been outscored by 159 points this season, the fifth-worst point differential through the first 13 games of a campaign in WNBA history."

An analysis of this lack of performance must go beyond lack of effort. Clearly that was the case yesterday but examining roster makeup it's clear this team is not constructed to be anything more than me joker defensively.

Smith has never demonstrated a commitment to defense it's clear from her history that that type of effort is not within her.

Wallace is worthy of a roster spot down the bench.

So at tip you have two starters who are either incapable or uninterested in defense. I'm not sure effort on the part of the other three starters, the bench, the coach can resolve that issue.

Reaction Score
"The Fever, who fell to 3-10, have been outscored by 159 points this season, the fifth-worst point differential through the first 13 games of a campaign in WNBA history."

An analysis of this lack of performance must go beyond lack of effort. Clearly that was the case yesterday but examining roster makeup it's clear this team is not constructed to be anything more than me joker defensively.

Smith has never demonstrated a commitment to defense it's clear from her history that that type of effort is not within her.

So at tip you have two starters who are either incapable or uninterested in defense. I'm not sure effort on the part of the other three starters, the bench, the coach can resolve that issue.
It’s worth noting that Clark, Smith, and Boston have the three worst +/- stats in the entire league. Part of that is being on one of the worst teams, but it’s alarming. Those are your 3 recent lottery picks. Washington may have a worse record, but they are more competitive in games.

You have to wonder if they land in the lottery again this year, if they’ll consider trying to expedite the rebuild through trading players/picks and free agency over another young draftee.

Reaction Score
It’s worth noting that Clark, Smith, and Boston have the three worst +/- stats in the entire league. Part of that is being on one of the worst teams, but it’s alarming. Those are your 3 recent lottery picks. Washington may have a worse record, but they are more competitive in games.

You have to wonder if they land in the lottery again this year, if they’ll consider trying to expedite the rebuild through trading players/picks and free agency over another young draftee.
On behalf of all lottery picks next year, we can certainly hope.
This franchise can’t develop young talent though I’m also not sure they can attract experienced talent in free agency either. I could see Clark being just as much of a repellent as an attraction to top talent and I’d be curious if the personalities that would want to play with Clark are the kinds of personalities that you’d want to surround Clark with on the court. I could see it going both ways but regardless you need a strong front office to make those decisions and I don’t think that’s Indiana’s.
Indianas in a tough spot, they got two number 1 draft picks who thrive is distinctly different styles of play and struggle in the style the suits the other. They hired a new inexperienced coach before they even drafted Boston before they could ever predict the situation she’d be coaching in. They are making a ton of money on ticket and merch sales (i assume) but at some point they need to start winning to keep the gravy train going. They’ve already had a ton of turnover in the last few years but turning it around now likely means they need even more coaching and likely massive roster changes. And their front office doesn’t seem equipped to build a winning roster through free agency or the draft given the last decade of history.

There does seem to be a lot of money up for grabs so maybe they can hire a very capable GM to navigate the next few years for them.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

"We know we're headed in the wrong direction, but we're compensating for it by accelerating." -- Stanislaw Lech

Celeste Taylor has played 15 minutes this season. That's how much defense matters to coach Sides.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

If Indiana gets a high lottery pick yet again, it's a sign that the last 3 top picks (plus multiple other picks) haven't worked out very well. I'd say it's time for a new coach and/or GM. Either they drafted the wrong players or they didn't develop them.

Reaction Score

I thought Boston played some of her best basketball this season when Clark was benched in the second half of yesterday's game against the Sun. The type of offense that Clark likes to play just does not maximize the skill set that Boston has to provide. Boston looked so much better because they basically reverted to last year's offense with the last 15 minutes of the game and I noticed that Boston was better positioned for offensive rebounds as well as receiving the ball in a place where she can actually use her footwork to get an easy bucket.

I think the issue is that they are basing their whole offense off of what is best for Caitlin Clark and I think that needs to be reconsidered because the rest of the team is not on the same page...

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Washington finally wins. Beat Atlanta 87-68. Hitting 17 threes will do that for you. Of course Sykes is back and hit 4 of them. Dolson pitched in with a couple. Not much from AE after she picked up 3 fouls early on trying to guard Tina.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I thought Boston played some of her best basketball this season when Clark was benched in the second half of yesterday's game against the Sun.
2 thoughts:

1 Boston and Clark likè to play together. They are longtime friends and mixed well on USA youth teams. Boston likè Wilson is a prototype modern center, comfortable underneath or out on the perimeter screening. On pick and roll she can shoot a 3, or drive to the basket.

2 At Iowa Clark thrived with both a traditional, immobile, paint-bound big in Czinano and then this year with the mobile Stuelke.

I think they will be able to get this to work.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Vegas's defense continued to struggle, giving up 100 to Minnesota. The Aces are now 5-5. Last year, they finished 34-6. Can they go 29-1 to match that? I think not.

Both Washington and Minnesota excelled from the arc tonight. When 50 points or so come from deep, a win is very likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom