May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 55 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I wonder what DT was thinking as she watched Caitlin pick apart her (admittedly depleted) teammates. Could be, 'oh, i wish I were 22 again,' or, 'perhaps I underestimated Clark?'
I don't believe DT ever estimated Clark. Her famous overanalyzed comment was only 'that Clark would face a tough adjustment in W going against grown women every night instead of 18 yr olds'.

That was true, meanwhile Clark has adjusted and now playing better, but she did struggle early against tough defense.

When you stop to think about it, each wnba team is better than every ncaa team, and all but about 5 Olympic teams.

By the way amazing that the Fever just gave up 27 points of a one time 31 points lead.

Reaction Score
Odd take considering it was Copper who ran into Griner.
That’s not what I saw or what any media platform is reporting.

"Brittney Griner was down and in a lot of pain after she collided with Lexie Hull. She limped off the court, grabbing her right upper thigh, and sat on the bench with a trainer. She is now going back to the locker room, still limping heavily," Peterson reported on X, formerly Twitter.

Hull and Copper are like twins though so this mix up is common.

Reaction Score
I don't believe DT ever estimated Clark. Her famous overanalyzed comment was only 'that Clark would face a tough adjustment in W going against grown women every night instead of 18 yr olds'.

That was true, meanwhile Clark has adjusted and now playing better, but she did struggle early against tough defense.

When you stop to think about it, each wnba team is better than every ncaa team, and all but about 5 Olympic teams.

By the way amazing that the Fever just gave up 27 points of a one time 31 points lead.
Her comment wasn’t even specific to Clark, she was talking about the rookies collectively. Which makes the over reactions to it even more wild.

Reaction Score

I'll 'overanalyze' DT's comment again: I still think she had no clue just how good Caitlin is.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seattle destroying Minnesota. Big game for McBride, none of the rest of the Lynx bothered to show up. Nneka pretty much matched Kayla, and she got plenty of help from her friends. 4 starters in double figures and nice game for Whitcomb off the bench.

Can Muhl manage to get her first points in the WNBA? She entered the game at around the 5:00 mark and will be finishing the game on the court.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Merc got as close to 4. Copper and Cunningham led the charge. Ran out of gas, Fever win by 9.

Caitlin has tied the franchise record for assists w/ 13 3 times this season. She had several chances that should've broke the record, but teammates kept missing makeable shots. She's also about to catch up to A. Thomas for the lead league in assists.

Man I was hoping the Mercury would pull it off KFC went off in the 4th but the Fever made a couple plays down the stretch to fend off the Merc.

Fever played brilliant basketball and then basically stopped playing. The whole 4th seemed centered around getting assists for Clark rather than executing and playing good basketball. Ironically, Clark had only like 1 assist in the quarter when the offense was so focused on her trying to get a few. Mercury switched to a zone and Clark just stopped looking for her shot altogether. I can’t stand when teams stop playing to go after stats. Iowa did this vs Nebraska when they stopped going to Clark to preserve the record at home and it cost them the game. Nearly happened again tonight. Great 3 quarters and an abysmal 4th but a W is a W.

Props to the Mercury for fighting with almost all of their stars out. Hopefully BG is healthy for the Olympics

Reaction Score
Comments on the Fever’s post game press conference are nearly unanimous in calling for Christie Side’s head after the fourth quarter near/letdown. Cant tell if it’s all Clarkistas or whether the are bing joined by Fever regular fans well.

Reaction Score
That’s not what I saw or what any media platform is reporting.

"Brittney Griner was down and in a lot of pain after she collided with Lexie Hull. She limped off the court, grabbing her right upper thigh, and sat on the bench with a trainer. She is now going back to the locker room, still limping heavily," Peterson reported on X, formerly Twitter.

Hull and Copper are like twins though so this mix up is common.
Well then you all are wrong. Take a look at it again (the best angle is around the 30 second mark). Hull and BG are going for the rebound while Copper is chasing Hull and then BG/Copper collide.

Reaction Score
Comments on the Fever’s post game press conference are nearly unanimous in calling for Christie Side’s head after the fourth quarter near/letdown. Cant tell if it’s all Clarkistas or whether the are bing joined by Fever regular fans well.

Still waiting for your 'Clarkistas' to stick, visitingcock.:)

In fact, some in the media have been suggesting Sides be canned pretty much the whole season.

Reaction Score
Still waiting for your 'Clarkistas' to stick, visitingcock.:)

In fact, some in the media have been suggesting Sides be canned pretty much the whole season.
:p

Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

Reaction Score
Another monster game for A'ja. 33 pts/18 reb/5 blocks/3 steals. Is it too early to go ahead and give her the MVP?
Nope. Not early at all. Has anyone seen her July numbers? Those numbers alone pretty much puts A'ja two or three laps ahead of the field. Those numbers are MVP caliber.

Reaction Score
Dang! My Lynx looked dazed and confused out there against Seattle, great game btw Seattle and Coach Quinn!! Nobody could make a shot for Minnesota except Kayla McBride & Cecilia Zandalasini. Ugly loss. We only scored 7 points in the 4th! Hopefully Minnesota can rebound from this game and get a win against Indiana. But hats off to Seattle. They played well and looked assertive out there. They even got Nika out there! So happy to see her getting some playing time.

Reaction Score
I'll 'overanalyze' DT's comment again: I still think she had no clue just how good Caitlin is.
I don't think DT cared. Given what I think of as GOAT philosophy the confidence is I'm the best

So Brady never concerned himself with how good Mahomes would be and LeBron doesn't concern himself with how good_______will be

Reaction Score
Man I was hoping the Mercury would pull it off KFC went off in the 4th but the Fever made a couple plays down the stretch to fend off the Merc.

Fever played brilliant basketball and then basically stopped playing. The whole 4th seemed centered around getting assists for Clark rather than executing and playing good basketball. Ironically, Clark had only like 1 assist in the quarter when the offense was so focused on her trying to get a few. Mercury switched to a zone and Clark just stopped looking for her shot altogether. I can’t stand when teams stop playing to go after stats. Iowa did this vs Nebraska when they stopped going to Clark to preserve the record at home and it cost them the game. Nearly happened again tonight. Great 3 quarters and an abysmal 4th but a W is a W.

Props to the Mercury for fighting with almost all of their stars out. Hopefully BG is healthy for the Olympics
The merc continue to be a horrible horrible road team. The failed 4th quarter comeback merely underscores how bad a road team they are are. Marveling at the comeback in the 4th quarter while failing to acknowledge the utter lack of energy and interest and particularly a disdain for defense in the first half fails to fully appreciate how low the bar can fall for this team.

Late in the game the million dollar coach made a baffling challenge. As the announcers pointed out the Fever would have ball even if the challenge were successful which of course it was not and thus cost the merc a time out.

But then again I'm a fan and the million dollar coach as a calculus far above my ability to comprehend.

Reaction Score
Thinking ahead to Phoenix's next road loss Sunday against the Sun. I'm wondering with the depleted lineup if Phoenix will top the 70 point mark.

Against the league's worst scoring defense yesterday a Fever team that allows 87 points a game Phoenix was able to put up 86 with the GOAT, Cloud and BG on the bench. Rather than blaming Sides one has to kind of look at the players particularly during that fourth quarter. But having said that with the same roster and effort I'm wondering if the Merc will be able to get above 70 against Connecticut......over under?....

No. I'm not thinking that Copper will score 30 plus against Connecticut's defense.

You and Sophie know she's not going to squirt 21 against the Sun.

I am however looking forward to the million dollar coach's scheming and in game coaching should be good and entertaining.

During the last Liberty game they showed a graphic that Sandy Brondello has a .673 winning percentage since moving to the big Apple.

Since she left I believe Phoenix is below .500. the current team should find themselves there again soon.

Reaction Score
Well...I doubt Phoenix goes 15-36 and LV 6-29 from 3 in the next game. That had a massive impact on the score. I feel pretty comfortable saying the Aces will win the next match up as well.
If you're referring to Phoenix it's a lock. Any other team probability is closer to 100% than to 75%.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If you're referring to Phoenix it's a lock. Any other team probability is closer to 100% than to 75%.
I think you've exceeded the statute of limitations quoting me on this. That was a long time ago!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom