May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 56 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Fiebich and Burke starting for New York today? A number of teams are just limping to the All Star/Olympic break.

Really surprised Thornton didn't get the start.

JJ is gonna make it really hard for Reese to have the most missed field goals today. 0-4 already 3 minutes into the game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
NY was terrible in Q1, but Chicago says hold my beer. A Lib team missing Stewie and Laney, and with Ionescu and JJ both playing sub par (and Sloot M.I.A. like she has been most of the season), blew the Sky off the court in Q2.

Reaction Score
I don't think DT cared. Given what I think of as GOAT philosophy the confidence is I'm the best

So Brady never concerned himself with how good Mahomes would be and LeBron doesn't concern himself with how good_______will be
Until one of us can get a serious response from DT, this is all conjecture. I tend to believe all athletes, no matter their track record or how many times they're called the GOAT by fans, care when they see a rising young player doing things they can't anymore.

Reaction Score
Until one of us can get a serious response from DT, this is all conjecture. I tend to believe all athletes, no matter their track record or how many times they're called the GOAT by fans, care when they see a rising young player doing things they can't anymore.
The key word that hurts the deepest

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Chicago let a golden opportunity get away. Very short handed NY squad beat them by 14 on their home floor. Really unimpressed with Reese. She did have 16 rebounds, but 3-13 shooting! Almost all misses from point blank. Got visibly very frustrated, lots of whining at the refs, got T'd up. It was fully on display how lacking her shot mechanics and fundamentals are.

Ionescu did end up w/ 28 points. Some bad shots I thought. 4-12 from 3. Mabrey was kinda hot and cold as the game went, she had 21. Some of the bigger contributions were from unexpected players--Onyenwere, Fiebich and Dojkic. JJ did have a good stat line--14 pts/9reb/7 assists. Got the better of Cardoso as well. Carter had a bad first half, got benched the entire 3rd quarter, then finally came to life last 6 minutes or so. Sloot played 15 minutes, 1 pt, 3 assists, wasn't on the floor down the stretch. Even with the depleted roster.

Reaction Score
Chicago let a golden opportunity get away. Very short handed NY squad beat them by 14 on their home floor. Really unimpressed with Reese. She did have 16 rebounds, but 3-13 shooting! Almost all misses from point blank. Got visibly very frustrated, lots of whining at the refs, got T'd up. It was fully on display how lacking her shot mechanics and fundamentals are.

Ionescu did end up w/ 28 points. Some bad shots I thought. 4-12 from 3. Mabrey was kinda hot and cold as the game went, she had 21. Some of the bigger contributions were from unexpected players--Onyenwere, Fiebich and Dojkic. JJ did have a good stat line--14 pts/9reb/7 assists. Got the better of Cardoso as well. Carter had a bad first half, got benched the entire 3rd quarter, then finally came to life last 6 minutes or so. Sloot played 15 minutes, 1 pt, 3 assists, wasn't on the floor down the stretch. Even with the depleted roster.
With 2 starters on the bench the Liberty go into the Windy City, the city of broad shoulders, the current residence of Angel (who made defeat impressive today) and demonstrate why they are a championship quality, elite team.

While the Sky are firmly entrenched in mediocrity winning on the road in the W is always a challenge.

Contrast the outstanding performance by New York on the road with that of another team with starters on the bench. Yesterday the Merc staggerred into Indianapolis with two starters on the bench and another to the pines earlier on and lost to the worst defense in the league.

Comparison I think in this case reveals the chasm in quality between the New York Liberty with Sandy Brondello and the Phoenix Mercury without. (Although the Merc do have the million dollar coach)

Reaction Score
Fiebich and Burke starting for New York today? A number of teams are just limping to the All Star/Olympic break.

Really surprised Thornton didn't get the start.

JJ is gonna make it really hard for Reese to have the most missed field goals today. 0-4 already 3 minutes into the game.
JJ +/- 25 to lead her team.

Angel - 13 to lead her team.

Reaction Score
I’m curious on everyone’s thoughts on the ROY race. I’m incredibly impressed by Reese and am surprised by how well her game has translated, but I just can’t think there’s a coach or GM beyond the Sky that would take her over Clark. The double-double streak is remarkable though and she definitely has earned her place as a frontrunner in the discussion.

Clark is still figuring things out and it’s a harder transition for guards, but her stats are terrific and improving game by game. She needs to be more consistently engaged on defense but I’ve always thought she had the tools and IQ to eventually be a positive on that end and we’re starting to see it — she’s regularly blocking and stealing the ball.

I would vote Clark and I do think in the end it’ll go to Clark, but again I’m shocked this has been so competitive and think it bodes well for the league.
I don’t think it will be much of a race. Clark struggled to adjust her first handful of games, but she’s been a much better player. Reese’s stat chasing in the double-double streak got so transparent that it may have hurt her reputation more than helped.

By the end of the year, I doubt it will be possible to make a legitimate case for anyone but CC.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don’t think it will be much of a race. Clark struggled to adjust her first handful of games, but she’s been a much better player. Reese’s stat chasing in the double-double streak got so transparent that it may have hurt her reputation more than helped.

By the end of the year, I doubt it will be possible to make a legitimate case for anyone but CC.
I've been surprised and impressed by Reese too but Clark is amazing. She has really elevated that team. For her to still be able to score with the intense defense she sees is remarkable. And so much improvement with those assists. No contest to me.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Yeah. Both are impactful. The difference in skill level is astounding though.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hamby and Jackson combined for 50. I think it's gone unnoted, but Azura Stevens has been back for several games. She had 16 today, 12 for McDonald.

With other players missing, Dallas simply can't endure a 2-15 shooting performance by Ogunbowale. Sims had 23.

Reaction Score

A la the end of today's game when she was insisting and demanding ball with 40 seconds remaining in a loss. I believe she shot Lindsay Alllen the evil eye when she ended the misery.

Reaction Score
Onyenwere was a solid contributor last season for Phoenix. I really thought she'd get more playing time this year for Chicago. They really need size at the 3. They don't play Deshields much either. So Mabrey is the 3. She had a great game today.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Chicago has impressed this year given their roster but laid an egg today. Angel had been shooting pretty well in July but went a combined 8-30 against NY over last two games. It seems like Angel works her tail off so an offseason of working on her finishing will do her wonders (and every other rookie too).

I will say, every time NY has injuries, their bench shows how talented they are. Yes Brondello seems to forget about most of them when she has her full starting lineup available. You can't argue with results but you'd think you'd get better production from starters if they got a bit more rest during game play.

Reaction Score
I been giving Reese props for her impressive stats but then pouting today (and walking off the court early) as her double double streak ended was yet another bad look.
And in a month or 2 she will talk about how hard it’s been, maybe shed some tears.
She brings it on herself.

Reaction Score
I been giving Reese props for her impressive stats but then pouting today (and walking off the court early) as her double double streak ended was yet another bad look.
And in a month or 2 she will talk about how hard it’s been, maybe shed some tears.
She brings it on herself.
Reese is having a very good year, we knew year one she was going to take a lot of licks and learn how to become more effective/efficent offensively in this league but overall is doing quite well year one, she has shown glimpses of what can be for the future (she has had moments of hitting perimeter shots/show nice footwork). I like how Cardoso/Reese work together overall, they are only going to get better.

But.... Its painfully obvious recent games became much more about the stat chasing on those double doubles and it has reflected even more efficiency wise. She was just throwing stuff up today hoping for fouls instead of taking a quality shot. I'm glad that streak ended because it looked to be doing more harm than good for her game.

She has to adjust her attitude at times. I get she is passionate but I agree I wasn't fond of the pouting and arguing with the refs. The only one who should be confronting the refs and sticking up for the players is the HC. Humility would be good for Angel.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Onyenwere was a solid contributor last season for Phoenix. I really thought she'd get more playing time this year for Chicago. They really need size at the 3. They don't play Deshields much either. So Mabrey is the 3. She had a great game today.
Onyenwere had a good game yesterday, scoring 14 points on 6-7 shooting. However, she only had 2 rebounds in 20 minutes, while Mabrey had 12 rebounds to go with her 21 points and 7 assists. Witherspoon must feel she's not getting enough consistency from Onyenwere and/or DeShields (who I think was on a minutes restriction/watch in the beginning of the season) and has gone with a three-guard approach. However, when Carter has an off-day and Reese is a bit helter-skelter (as she was yesterday), there's just not enough there: one player drove the Sky yesterday and that won't do it (regardless of whom it is). Think some reassessing might be done over the Olympic break.

Reaction Score
Welp, Yard family I get to experience the Caitlin Clark excitement today, in my own backyard, as the Fever come to the Target Center. I made that drive from Minneapolis to Chicago last month to watch the Sky and Fever game it was awesome! Now, the Fever are making their 1st trip to Minnesota, and I am sure the excitement levels and fan interest will be like the other Fever road games this season, packed and loud.

Reaction Score
Welp, Yard family I get to experience the Caitlin Clark excitement today, in my own backyard, as the Fever come to the Target Center. I made that drive from Minneapolis to Chicago last month to watch the Sky and Fever game it was awesome! Now, the Fever are making their 1st trip to Minnesota, and I am sure the excitement levels and fan interest will be like the other Fever road games this season, packed and loud.
Clark-skeptic Reeve will have the Lynx (even if shorthanded) ready to play/ready to check Clark in the first Lynx-Fever game of the season. Will be surprised if CC keeps up her recent good play today.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’m sure Target Center will be rocking. It’s been Carver North the past 2 Big Ten Tournaments

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looks like everybody was back for the Merc today...and they still got blown out by the Sun. Maybe they all needed some more rest still? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom