May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 57 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Reaction Score
At Connecticut team character and coaching revealed.

Two clear examples

DJ Carrington blocks BG

The million dollar coach's innovative perimeter defense - SCREADRED to the tune of 8-11 from three land by Banham On her seventh make I'm sure Angel Reese was envious as the Merc had no one within 15 ft of her.

The Merc disdain and disinterest for defense extended to the entire performance. Rebecca Lobo pointed out in a classic that the Mercury were not a very good offensive rebounding team. Then she continued to say but they're not very good defensive rebounding either.

The Merc encouraged one of the more offensively challenged w teams into a shooting extravaganza giving up 96 points. The "effort" expended by the murk would have resulted in a 100 points by any other team in the league.

Ryan Rocco described it as an authoritative win I would say it's a display of utter and complete failure by the million dollar coach, a team that was completely uninterested and unprepared, and a culture that continues to lower the bar.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
96-69 final, what an embarrassment. Way to slide into the All Star/Olympic break for Taurasi and Griner.

Banham added 1 more for good measure, 8-11 from deep, game high 24 points.

Reaction Score
96-69 final, what an embarrassment. Way to slide into the All Star/Olympic break for Taurasi and Griner.

Banham added 1 more for good measure, 8-11 from deep, game high 24 points.
Absolutely. The lack of effort, the lack of performance, the lack of pride is an insult to the Mercury name. This was an excuse for a WNBA team and the fault has to begin with the million dollar coach

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Atkins could have her back to the basket at half court, close her eyes, throw the ball in the air and it would go in the bucket.

I've seen a number of players get picked on by various posters for their lack of defense. Vanloo is getting worked by whoever she's guarding in this one. Doesn't matter, because the Mystics are hitting every 3 they take.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hayes with her best game in quite a while, Aces needed it. Wilson was her usual self. Plum had a good game. Young a bit off and Gray was terrible. Is she ever gonna ger her game back?

Career high 36 for Atkins. Only player from Mystics in double figures. Kept them in it til late in Q4.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Big 4th quarter for Indiana leads to come from behind win against Minnesota. Nice game for Boston, career high 16 rebounds to go w/ 17 pts and 4 blocks. Not a great game for Clark but made plays down the stretch.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And just like that the Aces have climbed to 3rd in the standings. That didn't take very long. Imagine if Chelsea Gray ever starts to look like herself.

Reaction Score
Big 4th quarter for Indiana leads to come from behind win against Minnesota. Nice game for Boston, career high 16 rebounds to go w/ 17 pts and 4 blocks. Not a great game for Clark but made plays down the stretch.
Entertaining game from what I watched. Indiana looks to be buying in on being better on defence as well. Ball movement by Indy in the fourth was important as well. Don't think I've seen Minnesota scrambling to close out on shooters the way they did today.

WBBTakeover

I'm not cooler than Kate Martin. Who is?
Reaction Score
Mercury arguably have a top-3 starting five in the league, way too talented to be .500. I know they’ve had some injuries but they’re still getting rocked by some of the league’s mediocre teams.
I agree 100%.

That said, they're (mainly Kah) going to be a pain for someone in the playoffs. As long as it's not Vegas (until the WNBA Finals), I don't care who they face along the way.

WBBTakeover

I'm not cooler than Kate Martin. Who is?
Reaction Score
Could it be dare I say it a million dollar coach?
It's definitely him. He's got four of the best defensive players in the league in his starting line-up--yet they can't defend as a team! How is that even possible? :confused::confused::confused:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Has Atlanta sunk all the way down to the bottom tier w/ Dallas, LA and Washington? About to lose by double digits to Seattle on a day that Loyd, Ogwumike and Diggins-Smith didn't bring their A game. Storm did get some extra scoring from Ezi, Horston and Whitcomb to make up for it.

edit--yeah, 34 combined points on 16-22 shooting from Ezi and Horston is pretty nice

Reaction Score
Clark-skeptic Reeve will have the Lynx (even if shorthanded) ready to play/ready to check Clark in the first Lynx-Fever game of the season. Will be surprised if CC keeps up her recent good play today.
I wish Coach Reeve would have seen your message before the game.

Reaction Score
Has Atlanta sunk all the way down to the bottom tier w/ Dallas, LA and Washington? About to lose by double digits to Seattle on a day that Loyd, Ogwumike and Diggins-Smith didn't bring their A game. Storm did get some extra scoring from Ezi, Horston and Whitcomb to make up for it.

edit--yeah, 34 combined points on 16-22 shooting from Ezi and Horston is pretty nice
Atlanta looks completely different without Howard. I agree. If they continue on this path, they'll miss the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Banham went nuts, not exactly something you game plan for. 7-10 from 3.
I will have to watch the replay but I am happy for Banham! She got caught up in whatever Coach Reeve was trying to do over the years here in Minnesota. Just nothing really consistent for Banham with the Lynx. Glad that she is getting quality minutes with Connecticut and playing decently.

Reaction Score
The Caitlin Clark impact for the game is awesome!! Packed Target Center today. Great to see Iowa/Caitlin Clark fans in the house. Heck the fan based looked darn near even! It could have been more Fever/CC fans in the house than Lynx fans. But anyway, what a game! My Lynx, with another 4th quarter melt down, just could not make shots especially when they needed to. Too many missed layups. The last two games, Minnesota has only scored 21 points in the 4th quarter of those two games. I know we are missing Phee but other players have to step up and help Kayla with the scoring on a consistent basis. Great game and win by Indiana, especially Boston and Mitchell!

Reaction Score
I wish Coach Reeve would have seen your message before the game.
Thought they did a decent job of it, especially during the first half. Their lapses in the 4th is what hurt, but at the same time Indy was making it hard for them. Minnesota has been leading the league in defence. Indy got the better of them today. One game down, with two more in their series to see how things play out long term.

Reaction Score
Thought they did a decent job of it, especially during the first half. Their lapses in the 4th is what hurt, but at the same time Indy was making it hard for them. Minnesota has been leading the league in defence. Indy got the better of them today. One game down, with two more in their series to see how things play out long term.
The Lynx did well defensively with Clark. We knew it was just a matter of time before she would got going. The Lynx just could not buy a bucket. Normally Courtney is able to hit that pull up jumper from the key or elbow area. Today just was not there. Same with Kayla's shot. Shot making was not there for the Lynx. Hats off to Indiana. Back to Back wins. Pretty impressive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom