Mathis to Rutgers | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Mathis to Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They'd be too long to name. Every D1 school that didn't win a national championship in the past 4 years.
Your list would consist of a bunch of Mid-Low Majors. Not a single P5 team would trade places with us right now. If you think they would, you're just as delusional as the staff when they continually convince themselves that these recruits are in the bag only to be "blindsided".

Reaction Score
Ollie is going to coach this season as no one is saying otherwise because it's impractical at this point and maybe there is a tiny chance a miraculous turnaround might happen.

The evidence has become overwhelming though.

What serious program wants to be in our position right now? That's just laughable at this point.

PS: What grizzled veteran coach do we have on the coaching staff? We had Hobbs and Miller and Blaney. All serious and respected men on the staff in addition to Calhoun. We have neophytes on the coaching staff from he top to the bottom right now. That has an impact.

Reaction Score
Because we once lost kids to puke unc and zona. Now we lose to ru and st. Johns

Your false narratives no longer work with me. Just 4 days ago you sent a thread into a frenzy saying "hearing lots of UConn talk". Then you back track when your wrong saying "well things change." Someone had to say it. You are #FakeNews. This isn't even close to the first time you've done this with a recruit that was interested in us this summer.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's the league, it's the below standard season last year, it's KO and something about his ills many don't speak about, its geography, it's the parents (no denying that Wilson and Mathis wanted to come play here), it's the fact 2 teams have closed on the parents and KO/ Staff did not and who knows what else. Imagine once in a while if they lost because the other school was just a better fit? Nah can't be....

No doubt there are issues but some of the posts here are a joke. But hey there's entertainment value.
Everybody is a better fit right now. Someone else said it earlier, but it's a zero sum game. We aren't recruiting all the top 100. Everyone of the kids we target sucks up time and resources, and we keep getting skunked.

Reaction Score
Ollie is going to coach this season as no one is saying otherwise because it's impractical at this point and maybe there is a tiny chance a miraculous turnaround might happen.

The evidence has become overwhelming though.

What serious program wants to be in our position right now? That's just laughable at this point.

PS: What grizzled veteran coach do we have on the coaching staff? We had Hobbs and Miller and Blaney. All serious and respected men on the staff in addition to Calhoun. We have neophytes on the coaching staff from he top to the bottom right now. That has an impact.

There's a lot of laughable things right now magic.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Your false narratives no longer work with me. Just 4 days ago you sent a thread into a frenzy saying "hearing lots of UConn talk". Then you back track when your wrong saying "well things change." Someone had to say it. You are #FakeNews. This isn't even close to the first time you've done this with a recruit that was interested in us this summer.
What does he have to gain by being wrong about this?

Reaction Score
Your list would consist of a bunch of Mid-Low Majors. Not a single P5 team would trade places with us right now. If you think they would, you're just as delusional as the staff when they continually convince themselves that these recruits are in the bag only to be "blindsided".

That is absurd.

I could list a long number of "p5" schools that would love to switch places with us, including Rutgers.

Reaction Score
That is absurd.

I could list a long number of "p5" schools that would love to switch places with us, including Rutgers.

Yeah, the P5 schools all want a mediocre coach, losing record, numerous transfers out, top recruits that decommit, and a glaring inability to land top 100 recruits, while being a middle of the pack team in a subpar conference. Ok.

Reaction Score
Outworked? Huh? So stupid to even say or suggest.

These borderline top 100 kids are probably the hardest to recruit. They are mostly kids that will never sniff the league, but want to hear the most BS about how they'll get there.

Good luck at Rutty going 2-16 the next 3 years in the B1G.
I agree, The negative recruiting is "hey if you go there you wont play, they got Vital, Gilbert who is a MAA and what if JA doesn't go pro, way too many guards for you to play Come here and be a Johnny and a Knight, you'll start your freshman year" That's what's making the decision. There is abundant of talent in Grad transfers Juco transfers and Europe. They stay healthy the are winning 21. they'll get players. Its not restricted to High School only.

Reaction Score
I agree, The negative recruiting is "hey if you go there you wont play, they got Vital, Gilbert who is a MAA and what if JA doesn't go pro, way too many guards for you to play Come here and be a Johnny and a Knight, you'll start your freshman year" That's what's making the decision. There is abundant of talent in Grad transfers Juco transfers and Europe. They stay healthy the are winning 21. they'll get players. Its not restricted to High School only.

I like our backcourt but this is a preposterous notion. People want to imagine that we are missing recruits because our backcourt is too deep, or we lost to Wagner, or especially stupid - that Chillious isn't a good recruiter. People hope this is the case because these problems seem easier to fix than the actual problem.

Reaction Score
Stop.

This was a kid ranked in the 90's and he lost him to Rutgers.

This was not Mount Everest.

Sorry Fish - You are talking CRAZY!
The staff wanted him, kid must be good enough. We simply cant close on any recruits worth a damn.
The indictment is straight up on the coaches.
This hurts for many reasons, not the least of which is that Butgers and PukeyPC are completely laughing at us right now, and justifiably so. It just hurts all over.
This recruiting season and bball season have great potential to be really painful.

Reaction Score
I like our backcourt but this is a preposterous notion. People want to imagine that we are missing recruits because our backcourt is too deep, or we lost to Wagner, or especially stupid - that Chillious isn't a good recruiter. People hope this is the case because these problems seem easier to fix than the actual problem.
Yes and we don't need any frontcourt recruits because our frontcourt is stacked, we just keep having bad luck because all these mom's and dad's want their kid to stay home, we just keep running into parents who already have an unbreakable bond with another coach, it's impossible to recruit to this conference, Glen Miller couldn't recruit, Chillious can't recruit, this is just a small blip because we are coming off a tough season, Vital is too good for any guard recruit to compete with, this message board is deterring recruits from coming here etc.

Reaction Score

Ironically the buzz from the tos gurus support the flip flopping that i posted. Think what you want and just do me a favor and block me please. No need for you negative vibe. I post what i hear from a few places. Ironically i was ahead of the crystal ballz swing.

Reaction Score
I know no one wants any the "glass is half full" arguments now. But this kid had 17 other offers, including Kansas, VT, Marquette, West Va, and Xavier. And we came in second. Yes we loss to Rutgers but so did the aforementioned schools.

Wait we came in second on a recruit - well that's an improvement over the last 5 months.

C

Chief00

But just to clarify, you're saying you want Calhoun to come back on staff at the age of seventy-five with that medical history?

I thought negative recruiting was something the program needed to move away from.

HOF coach is not something you negatively recruit against!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sorry Fish - You are talking CRAZY!
The staff wanted him, kid must be good enough. We simply cant close on any recruits worth a damn.
The indictment is straight up on the coaches.
This hurts for many reasons, not the least of which is that fn Butgers and PukeyPC are completely laughing at us right now, and justifiably so. It just hurts all over.
This recruiting season and bball season have great potential to be really painful.

I don't know what your point is relative to mine.

Where did I say that they didn't want him? My intent was to say that a kid like him with an opponent like Rutgers should have been a layup for us.

C

Chief00

Being in the running for quality recruits is still encouraging
Not closing targeted recruits is disappointing.
Having several recent recruits choose these particular schools over us is literally hurtful.
Our coaches failing to accurately read the situations is really concerning.
From my experience in sales, my gut says we have likely have been talking more than listening at the critical point.
That can often happen when you fall into a trap of harping on the features you like, rather than addressing what the prospect values.
(ie our winning pedigree vs Rutgers empty slate, may be of no consequence to the recruit even though we think it is a hands down winner)

Coaches grow up playing the game and learning the skills and strategies, etc etc. It has often crossed my mind that they likely have no actual skill training in personal sales. In these situations, a classic 'tell' that there is a lack of sales skills would be when a person might say that they treat 'parents' like they would want to be treated themselves if they were the parents. Wrong answer. You treat people like they want to be treated, not how you would want to be treated if you were them. You have to listen enough to know how that is. Obviously, I'm just speculating, but if it is getting down to us and another school, we are doing a lot of things right until the close.

Just venting. Nevermind.

Good points.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
HOF coach is not something you negatively recruit against!

Hall of Fame coach who has survived cancer twice, had to step away from the bench during his last full season due to medical issues...you are insane if you think that other coaches would not use that against him were he to return to the trail.

Your obsession with Calhoun is clogging your ability to think rationally.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Your obsession with ripping Calhoun is very creepy.

Please explain to me how that's ripping Calhoun.

Oh wait. You can't. Because you're a liar. I'm shocked Calhoun associates with someone who is as completely bereft of moral character as you are.

C

Chief00

Please explain to me how that's ripping Calhoun.

Oh wait. You can't. Because you're a liar. I'm shocked Calhoun associates with someone who is as completely bereft of moral character as you are.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01