Mathis to Rutgers | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Mathis to Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I have too much respect for Jim Calhoun and what has been accomplished over the last 20 years, and the pride equity that I have in UCONN mens basketball to accept it being turned into UMASS.

PS: People on here acting like the boneyard and the fans are the problem LOL. Yes the most passionate and dedicated UCONN basketball fans in the world are the problem not the coaching staff. We would be positive if there was positive news to report. Lately there hasn't been any.

News flash: if we turn into UMass, whether or not you accept it has no bearing on the reality of it.

Reaction Score
I hesitate to even bring this up, and I really hope KO turns it around. But it seems very unlikely KO is in a position to succeed this year and we may need to move on from him. I understand giving him this season, but I feel like that sets us back even further. That's another lost recruiting year for 2018 and then the new coach is already way behind and playing catch up for 2019. I'll be hoping for the best but these next few years are looking very very rough

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I can't root for a liar anyhow. He said he wasn't committing today. ;)

Reaction Score
I don't get with all the UConn street cred & LeBron, D-Wade, Durant, Jalen Rose, etc saying KO is the man... how he is being beat out by these losers.
Because the negative recruiting VERY VERY PERSONAL (emphasis added).

Reaction Score
Why do we live and die with every recruiting hit or miss? Its insanity. He chose Rutgers, move on! We all are well aware of the issues surrounding the program. We're well aware of what needs to be done this season to avoid catastrophe. Landing or not landing mathis changes none of that. The same two groups argue about the same thing in every recruiting thread(I've been guilty). At what point do we stop torturing each other with these insane dooms day back and forths. Nothing has changed because we missed out on mathis. We are in the same position today we were in yesterday. We simply need to WIN. Can we agree on that????

Reaction Score
Outworked? Huh? So stupid to even say or suggest.

These borderline top 100 kids are probably the hardest to recruit. They are mostly kids that will never sniff the league, but want to hear the most BS about how they'll get there.

Good luck at Rutty going 2-16 the next 3 years in the B1G.

Agree. His parents made his decision for him. How is that being outworked. Sounds like we did everything right because he wanted us. I mentioned in the other thread that this can blow up in his parents faces. He may be thinking in two years wtf were my parents thinking and harbor some kind of resentment towards them. Dangerous game being overly controlling.

Reaction Score
Why do we live and die with every recruiting hit or miss? Its insanity. He chose Rutgers, move on! We all are well aware of the issues surrounding the program. We're well aware of what needs to be done this season to avoid catastrophe. Landing or not landing mathis changes none of that. The same two groups argue about the same thing in every recruiting thread(I've been guilty). At what point do we stop torturing each other with these insane dooms day back and forths. Nothing has changed because we missed out on mathis. We are in the same position today we were in yesterday. We simply need to WIN. Can we agree on that????

Because we once lost kids to puke unc and zona. Now we lose to ru and st. Johns

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Somehow, someway, I will carry on.

Perhaps the recognition that I never even knew he existed a week ago will mitigate things in time.

Reaction Score
I hear the staff is shocked that they lost this guy. They were 100% thinking he was gonna say uconn Monday or Tuesday
Haven't we had a few of these lately? And we haven't exactly lost them to great programs either. This is getting a little discouraging. Let's see what the 2018 class looks like by next spring. But this is a very important class for the program. If there isn't very good talent coming in we are in a heap of trouble for the next few years.

Reaction Score
The fact that it was a struggle deciding between UCONN and Rutgers tells me that he would have (at best) been 7 toes in at UCONN. He would have never bled blue or willed his team to a deep post-season run. Time to move on.
Isn't that how most recruiting battles go? You have choices and you make a decision that is best for you. Do you think every Duke or Kentucky recruit doesn't consider other schools?

Reaction Score
Nope. Not what I'm saying.

But it ain't helping. Anyone.

I'll give you that. Came at you a little aggressive there sorry man. Just pissed off about how sad things have become.

Reaction Score

People keep saying this after every miss though. At some point it's not a singular event. People are freaking out over the very real trend.

Reaction Score
Being in the running for quality recruits is still encouraging
Not closing targeted recruits is disappointing.
Having several recent recruits choose these particular schools over us is literally hurtful.
Our coaches failing to accurately read the situations is really concerning.
From my experience in sales, my gut says we have likely have been talking more than listening at the critical point.
That can often happen when you fall into a trap of harping on the features you like, rather than addressing what the prospect values.
(ie our winning pedigree vs Rutgers empty slate, may be of no consequence to the recruit even though we think it is a hands down winner)

Coaches grow up playing the game and learning the skills and strategies, etc etc. It has often crossed my mind that they likely have no actual skill training in personal sales. In these situations, a classic 'tell' that there is a lack of sales skills would be when a person might say that they treat 'parents' like they would want to be treated themselves if they were the parents. Wrong answer. You treat people like they want to be treated, not how you would want to be treated if you were them. You have to listen enough to know how that is. Obviously, I'm just speculating, but if it is getting down to us and another school, we are doing a lot of things right until the close.

Just venting. Nevermind.

Reaction Score
The fact that it was a struggle deciding between UCONN and Rutgers tells me that he would have (at best) been 7 toes in at UCONN. He would have never bled blue or willed his team to a deep post-season run. Time to move on.

or that we are in really times right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel